• Mike Adams
    • T.Y Hilton
    • Jerell Freeman
    • Darius Butler
    • Joe Haeg
    • Erik Swoope
    • Denzelle Good
    • Other

for all the criticism grigs gets. (rightfully so) he has found us some gems. which do you think has been the best gem? not just talent wise, but also coming out of no where and becoming vital to the team. I put TY because I dont think anyone saw him becoming a superstar

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

for all the criticism grigs gets. (rightfully so) he has found us some gems. which do you think has been the best gem? not just talent wise, but also coming out of no where and becoming vital to the team. I put TY because I dont think anyone saw him becoming a superstar

Vontae Davis wasn't drafted by us, But he was brought in and was one of Grigs best decisions. 

12 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Grigson signed a few gems but even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. 

I would go with Luck, TY and Davis.

Can't really say luck. Anyone could have found him

During Grigsons career as the GM it almost felt like his strength was turning up a few undiscovered gems, as evidenced by your list here of decent/contributing players ...

It always seemed like Grigsons problem

was that he over thought the draft process & in turn, completely blew the early/easy picks, seemingly in an attempt to "outsmart" by doing the unconventional ...

I mean the Colts defense would probably be better off now, or at least no worse off, if Irsay would've  just polled this forum for the first 2 picks of the past 4 drafts...

54 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

During Grigsons career as the GM it almost felt like his strength was turning up a few undiscovered gems, as evidenced by your list here of decent/contributing players ...

It always seemed like Grigsons problem

was that he over thought the draft process & in turn, completely blew the early/easy picks, seemingly in an attempt to "outsmart" by doing the unconventional ...

I mean the Colts defense would probably be better off now, or at least no worse off, if Irsay would've  just polled this forum for the first 2 picks of the past 4 drafts...

Yup. 2013, he should've taken Rhodes. 2014 he shouldn't have traded for Richardson. 2015 he should've taken Collins. 2016, he shouldn't have taken Green that high. This topic illustrates how his attempt to think outside the box early rarely payed off. He was smart to trade up for Hilton, and Doyle is the reason Allen is out of a job. But he failed pretty hard after 2012. He's basically got 2 true "gems" after 6 drafts.

But we should probably separate it into his Draft/UDFA gems and his FA signing gems. I'll still say Hilton for his draft gem. But Mike Adams is his FA gem.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

No Vontae Davis?

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

Finding gems doesn't equal the amount of misses in the first 3 rounds 

1 hour ago, I'm Negan said:

No Vontae Davis?

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great point, I missed that as well. TY is 1a and Vontae is 1b.

Well Davis isn't really a find. He was already talented. Miami just didn't like his attitude

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the OP left Luck off because no way we weren't picking him 1st. I would go other too then :thmup:

Yeah but even though he was as close as anyone there was still a chance he wouldnt pan out so i still give credit.

Other - The trade for Davis was instrumental and we wouldnt have had the three 11 - 5 season we did without him. I know Grigs got our defence into the situation it is in now, but without Davis in that secondary it would have looked a hell of a lot worse.

41 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

In my head I was thinking Mike Adams.......

Until I remember he drafted TY

I would say biggest gem would actually be Adams.  He signed that guy to a vet min contract for 1 year his first year with the Colts.  And then he never made more then like 2M.

I would also say however that TY Hilton is the most IMPACTFUL gem.  He spent a 3rd rounder on TY.  While he's certainly still a gem, 3rd rounders are suppose to have decent NFL careers anyways.  So it wasn't like he pulled TY out of like the 6th round or a UDFA.  

TY was the most important gem, but in terms of what he gave us verses resources spent, Mike Adams was the biggest.

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Other - The trade for Davis was instrumental and we wouldnt have had the three 11 - 5 season we did without him. I know Grigs got our defence into the situation it is in now, but without Davis in that secondary it would have looked a hell of a lot worse.

I would argue that a we gave away a 2nd round pick for Davis.  That's quite an investment.  Not to say that Davis hasn't been important or he hasn't been a gem but I look at it in terms or resources spent verses production and a 2nd round pick is a decent investment.  

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:40 AM, CR91 said:

That is a key part of the GM's job - finding "gems."