Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select T.J. Green, DB, Clemson

21isSuperman

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

There are others who have thought of him in the corner sense as well.  He has even said he's played slot corner himself:

At 6-3 and 205 pounds, the Colts are getting a very intriguing frame to add to their secondary. Green played safety in college, yet his speed (4.34 40-yard dash) has some believing he could line up at cornerback in the NFL. A converted wide receiver, Green started just one season at Clemson and left with a year of eligibility. Green’s Combine numbers were eye popping, with his 40-yard dash the second fastest of any defensive back, blowing the other safeties out of the water. Green finished 2015 with 130 tackles (102 solo). He had 13 solo stops in Clemson’s Orange Bowl win over Oklahoma (where Green said he also played some slot corner, opposite second-round pick Sterling Shepard).

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Colts-Draft-Clemson-Safety-TJ-Green-In-Second-Round/ca45749b-51f2-4042-9213-0dca113ba0bd

Corner was my hunch.   He's very capable of playing safety no doubt.  I just don't think he's very physical.  He's not Gerod Holiman by any stretch of the imagination.  I could see them coaching him up to be much better in coverage back there. 

In the post draft press conference,  Grigson and Pagano called Green a safety with some corner ability.

But they see him as a safety.    Perhaps next year,  he'll start with Gaethers in a younger backfield.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wish DB's gif maker still worked...

At 1:26, who's that taking down Derrick Henry? At 1:40, who's that flying down into the box to take on Derrick Henry? At 3:10, who's that taking down Derrick Henry? At 5:55, who's that at the bottom of the pile? At 9:18, who's that stopping Henry at the goal line?

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/t-j-green-vs-alabama-2015-2/

hahaha I loved 4:10 in that video,

Kelly got to the second level and was thinking of taking down Green, TJ puts his hand up and is like "Chill bro, we're going to be playing on the same team soon!"

3 hours ago, PhillyCOLTSfan said:

dude started at safety for a team that went undefeated and lost to Nick Saban in championship so ill give him a chance plus pagano is the Db whisperer

Apparently Gregg Toler is deaf

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

I can see the pick with our defensive scheme changing. We still need a pass rusher though. Hope Henry Anderson comes back healthy. This was the perfect draft because it was so defense heavy. 

Changing how?

2 hours ago, Superman said:

At 1:26, who's that taking down Derrick Henry? At 1:40, who's that flying down into the box to take on Derrick Henry? At 3:10, who's that taking down Derrick Henry? At 5:55, who's that at the bottom of the pile? At 9:18, who's that stopping Henry at the goal line?

Supe he is primarily an arm tackler, he'll give you a good one every now and then.  He doesn't hit, wrap and drive through his tackles from what I've seen.  It's a lot of grabbing and slinging people down.  Guys in the NFL are going to run through that stuff.  He will stick his nose in there I'll give him that, but for a guy that size he's got to come more sound with those tackles.   I don't think he runs through Henry on any of those tackles. He brings him down by the legs which is decent, but I just see a lot of grabby type of tackles.  I do think he's very athletic and you can put together packages where he's playing safety and some corner which I like. I do see the upside to this guy with some coaching.  I just think the tackling needs to be more sound.  That and he's got to work on those busted coverages, which he had some bad ones in that Alabama game. He's got to get aligned properly and recognize what the offense it trying to do in the passing game to eliminate those busted coverages.  He's got good upside overall I think. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In the post draft press conference,  Grigson and Pagano called Green a safety with some corner ability.

But they see him as a safety.    Perhaps next year,  he'll start with Gaethers in a younger backfield.

who are they kidding, this is awful

9 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Mayock had him ranked as a 4th round safety.  Not sure how he'd project him as a corner, but that doesn't bode well.  Of course, analysts can be wrong.

He also had billings going in round 1...........

21 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

A little confused, again. I didnt know we were in the market for a safety, then passed on the best safety available, whats up with that?

The colts have a starting safety that is 50 yrs old.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Damn, he (and the rest of the DB's) gets burned by a TE twice for TD's. Was that on him or the Defensive Coordinator? Sorry for asking but I'm a bit clueless on these matters. :wag:

Check out 4:48 and 7:12.

I always raise an eyebrow at times like this in any draft. Not who I would have went for, not who I thought they would take a swing at...but I give the scouting the department the benefit of the doubt, it seemed like there were other contributors still on the board, so I would expect Green will also be a contributor. But a nice road grader, or LB'ers inside and out seemed like where I would have started my GM'ing from defensively this year but we will see....

Just now, BOTT said:

I will take that bet for 1 million dollars.

Absolutely.  Given the fact that you will never see a real unicorn and there is a chance that Green turns into a excellent DB, even if it is a small chance.

Just now, Cynjin said:

Absolutely.  Given the fact that you will never see a real unicorn and there is a chance that Green turns into a excellent DB, even if it is a small chance.

I think you misinterpreted.  

Guys, time will tell on this pick but could be a very special player, He great speed, he is over 6"2' and can play both safety and cornerback.  I will defer to the endless hours the Colts spent looking at him and pouring over tape.

There is no guarantee any player will be great but the measurables are off the chart. 

We have Geathers in a hard hitting safety mode and now a tall, blazing fast player either next to him as safety or as the corner opposite Davis.

I for one, like this pick

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Not a surprise. Lots of DBs get converted from WR because they can't catch.

Yeah , I prefer WR's that can catch over those that can't also. Anyway ... this is one pick that you can just say "time will tell." 

With us trading down and passing on Whitehair and Su'a Cravens to pick this kid.... he better be good.

Seems like a kid Pagano thinks he can get more out of.  I'm willing to give him a chance before judgment 

27 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

No, I interpreted just fine.

Then what does Green turning into an excellent player have to do with Bell being rated over Green on ESPN?  That makes the ESPN board what exactly?

maybe I'm missing something....

11 hours ago, Manning1887 said:

Hopefully Trent Cole, Robert Mathis, and Erik Walden will find the fountain of youth. Otherwise not sure how we plan on rushing the passer

We can safety blitz, with either safety who'll be big enough to tackle Big Ben etc..  Most of the other safeties are smurfs.....for the NFL

Pass rushers rotate in anyway.  We've got 2 4ths, a 5th, and 2 7ths.  The pass rushers selected in the draft so far are nothing special.  Wouldn't want them playing every down anyway.

Just think we missed out on the opportunity to get the best center AND guard in the draft with Whitehair.  He was selected one pick in front of us and I'm just sick about it.  Having Kelly and Whitehair would have set the middle of the line for many years to come.

I think they gambled and lost.  I do like the Clark pick at #3.   

Joseph

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We can safety blitz, with two big, nonsmurf, safeties that can actually tackle Big Ben etc..

Pass rushers rotate in anyway.  We've got 2 4ths, a 5th, and 2 7ths.  The guys selected in the draft so far are nothing special.  Wouldn't want them playing every down anyway.

If you don't think Kelly is a special player and shouldn't be playing every down then I question your ability to judge any NFL player.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you don't think Kelly is a special player and shouldn't be playing every down then I question your ability to judge any NFL player.

I meant the pass rushers that were selected by other teams aren't anything special.  I'll edit and clarify.