Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

21isSuperman

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

If you count yourself as one of the most as I mentioned, then that is on you. It don't matter at this point anyway. The pick was made, 90% of Colt fans are happy with it. It also seems the so called draft guru's are happy with the pick. So now all that is left to do is whine about it because it's over and done. Talking about what might have been serves no purpose at this point.

Hey crazy one, excited for day 2?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Rhane19 said:

To be fair, Oden looked and had the knees of a 40+ yr old which was highlighted even more being 7foot. 

Jack actually looks appropriately aged.

But I do like the point you are making, big risk on someone with knee injury history

I thought Oden was 40 min high school.  Old Old Face!!

Oden:  28 yrs OLD!                                                      Vince Carter: 39 years young 

oden.jpg 28years old Vhi-res-41d4716777650946bb2e6feb39a0927e_

Not sure how people are upset with this pick it is not a sexy pick but it helps the whole team . IF we run the ball better our defense will not be gassed by the 3rd qt every game and giving up big plays . Then great for Lucks health if it helps the pass protection Luck will not always be running for his life as much taking the big hits that got him hurt last year . Sure there were some great prospects for the defense that I would have loved but I understand the pick it really makes sense .

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Heck yeah. I hope we can find a couple of defensive players who can contribute. If that happens this draft would be a pretty good one IMO.

I'll tell you something you may like. The defensive talent is awesome still. Unless the top 16 picks in the 2nd round are pretty much all defense, we are going to have a shot at a borderline first round pick on defense. It may not be our first choice, but it'll be someone solid. Lots of players on Offense could go before us. Cook and Hackenburg at QB, Derrick Henry at RB, Michael Thomas and Tyler Boyd at WR, Hunter Henry at TE, Nick Martin at C who isn't a need anymore. I'm probably missing a few as well, so if 5 of them go before us, that should guarantee us a solid starter on defense in round 2.

23 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He definitely became a great Center. He's an example of switching positions in the NFL and making the most of it. Kelly seems like he's already a great Center, and he can play Center or Guard. Hopefully he plays Center his entire Career and Lucks!

Your observation of Kelly's ability to play either guard is a very good point.  So far it hasn't been mentioned as far as I can see. Good pick up as this might be important down the road.

1 minute ago, B~Town said:

Not sure how people are upset with this pick it is not a sexy pick but it helps the whole team . IF we run the ball better our defense will not be gassed by the 3rd qt every game and giving up big plays . Then great for Lucks health if it helps the pass protection Luck will not always be running for his life as much taking the big hits that got him hurt last year . Sure there were some great prospects for the defense that I would have loved but I understand the pick it really makes sense .

Still solid defensive talent, we'll get a defensive starter in round 2 for sure.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I hope some of the people who were in here screaming and kicking about picking up Alex Mack for 10million or more dollars a year are not crying about taking Ryan Kelly #1....

How do you like the pick krunk? I've warmed up to it pretty quick after learning about Kelly. Got an O-Lineman like I wanted, and Ryan Kelly has quickly become a Jared Cisneros guy, lol.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I hope some of the people who were in here screaming and kicking about picking up Alex Mack for 10million or more dollars a year are not crying about taking Ryan Kelly #1....

I have NEVER said that any team should draft a center in the first round.  Never.  I changed my mind after hearing Kelly talk.

He is one of the guys that has his head on straight, has fantastic technique, and is not 'all about' himself.  He could have been in Chi-Town for the draft but he wanted to celebrate his day with his family and friends. and probably the family :wag:

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

How do you like the pick krunk? I've warmed up to it pretty quick after learning about Kelly. Got an O-Lineman like I wanted, and Ryan Kelly has quickly become a Jared Cisneros guy, lol.

I'm good with it..

17 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Still solid defensive talent, we'll get a defensive starter in round 2 for sure.

I agree a very deep draft for defense should be some very good players left when the colts pick today

57 minutes ago, krunk said:

That would be hypocritical.  

Although I'm glad we didn't pay up for Alex Mack and I'm also glad that we picked Ryan Kelly.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I thought improving the O-line was a priority for nearly all fans of the Colts.    When did that change?

This pick will improve the O-line immediately and for years to come.   Since he can also play guard spots, this isn't taking a center.  It is taking an offensive lineman.   So the stigma of taking centers in the first doesn't apply.

Even if he plays center, the Colts have needed one since Saturday left.  Yeah, centers don't usually go in the first round, but Decker and Conklin were gone and this is the Colts biggest area of need.  Not sure why people are throwing a fit.  CBS gave the Colts an A+ for this pick. 

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Since you said CB first, are you hoping for McKensie Alexander? He's one of the players I hope falls to us.

He has everything you want as far as skills.  Not sure that he is close enough to 100% after his injury. Is is too soon.  In 2nd?  I think I would look at DL or ILB now. Somewhere we need to get a good RB.  We look very thin there.  

You know, I did not have CB as the first on the list...it was random.  I NEED to know right now how ready McKensie is.  Great player when healthy. :thmup:

4 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

He has everything you want as far as skills.  Not sure that he is close enough to 100% after his injury. Is is too soon.  In 2nd?  I think I would look at DL or ILB now. Somewhere we need to get a good RB.  We look very thin there.  

You know, I did not have CB as the first on the list...it was random.  I NEED to know right now how ready McKensie is.  Great player when healthy. :thmup:

Mckensie is pretty solid. I admit I don't know a ton about him, http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/mackensie-alexander?id=2555177 that's a decent write up of him that you can check out.

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Kelly has missed games with at least two knee injuries so let's not be too quick to celebrate, if good health is the reason to pass on Jack.

Kelly's and Jack's respective cases are vastly different. Jack's are way more serious, which is evident now that teams are passing on him when he was supposed to be a top talent in the draft. 

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

Maybe not the sexist pick, but protecting your main investment is always a smart thing.

I'm totally good with this pick.

I've wanted them to draft a center since getting Luck.   It's the key position tied to the QB. 

4 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

You'd take 6 guys at 18 that no one took in the first 31 picks? They won't even all be gone by our second most likely......

That's part of it. It's hard to complain about value when a lot of the guys you might have valued higher are still there, and might still be there at #48.

4 hours ago, dw49 said:

No doubt a nice pick that fills a great need. Also much "safer" than one of the available edge rushers. The doubters are upset because he probably would have been there at 24-25. Big deal ....

I don't feel comfortable saying that about anyone after how last night went. 

36 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't feel comfortable saying that about anyone after how last night went. 

Yeah, Grigson or Pagano actually said during their presser that they was getting worried that someone else would take Kelly before them. They seemed relieved that he was still there. 

14 hours ago, SP_21 said:

You're missing my point. Obviously there is risk with any player you draft but I'd rather risk a 1st rounder on a guy who plays a premium position. 

No matter what you say center is not a premium position. 

The quality of defensive players available deteriorates more quickly than that of centers IMO

I understand your frustration but it makes me wonder if you have been watching the colts running game since Edge left. Cuz it's been %, and the elite offense the colts had, soon deteriorated afterwards. The Colts D last year was doing good when the offense did good. And you can't only draft "premium" positions. You win games in the trenches and when it comes to the trenches, offensive line comes first. Just because Grigson has wasted time drafting certain talents per "premium" positions, which haven't turned out. Clearly also, drafting olineman later than the 2nd round, has also not worked for Grigson. 

Do do you know what insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. The colts have been doing the same thing over and over by ignoring the trenches. I don't really give two %s if he was of 3rd round talent and was drafted in the 1st round. When you ignore the oline for over 6 years like the colts have, you have to eat crow and make new sacrifices. 

3 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Do do you know what insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. The colts have been doing the same thing over and over by ignoring the trenches. I don't really give two %s if he was of 3rd round talent and was drafted in the 1st round. When you ignore the oline for over 6 years like the colts have, you have to eat crow and make new sacrifices. 

200.gif

30 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Yeah, Grigson or Pagano actually said during their presser that they was getting worried that someone else would take Kelly before them. They seemed relieved that he was still there. 

It's crazy how different it was from last year, when the first round was quiet and predictable, few trades, few surprises. Last night was a zoo. Five draft night trades, 3 pre-draft trades, several drastic slides, a couple of big surprise picks... Projecting anyone to last another 5-7 picks seems impossible.

15 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Just a point of discussion.  Many on the boards are adamant that we must go BPA and, for example, defend last year's pick of Dorsett by claiming we went BPA.  But this suggests Grigson might not actually be going BPA

It isn't really best player available though. Grigson said if the evaluations are close then he goes for need. Dorsett was much better than anyone in a position of need last year.

3 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

I thought Oden was 40 min high school.  Old Old Face!!

Oden:  28 yrs OLD!                                                      Vince Carter: 39 years young 

oden.jpg 28years old Vhi-res-41d4716777650946bb2e6feb39a0927e_

Granted I haven't been following this thread the whole way.....but I GOTZ to know how we tie Greg Oden to Ryan Kelly.....PLEEZE!!!! LOL

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's crazy how different it was from last year, when the first round was quiet and predictable, few trades, few surprises. Last night was a zoo. Five draft night trades, 3 pre-draft trades, several drastic slides, a couple of big surprise picks... Projecting anyone to last another 5-7 picks seems impossible.

Yep...I like Kelly...I thought we could move back and still get him based on who was on the board and who was picking....like say to Cincy who needed to jump ahead of those teams in front for a premier WR. I was hoping we could do that and land a late 3rd and still get Kelly....but if no trade is there than there is no trade and I'm glad we took him if we valued him so highly. I'm not an expert so I will trust he will help this team the most compared to what was left on the board. A few pass rushers/dts  looked tempting. Hopefully we will have one of those there for us in rd 2.

For once, the IndyStar had a worthwhile article on this today.  The gist of it being... they've tried to fix the interior of the line through cheaper means.  Six... SIX starting centers since Luck has been on board.  That's a lot of futility and instability in the region that Luck is getting most of the pressure.

At some point, you can't keep monkeying around in such a critical area.  Like someone said earlier, no one would be complaining today if we took Travis Frederick in 1st round several years ago.  And Kelly is about as sure thing as there is in this draft.