Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans post game

GoColts8818

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I saw the fourth quarter last week and the Steelers game. That’s how the offense should be run. Steichen didn’t do that in GB.

AKB is saying that the Packers used Willis in such a way that the Colts should use AR.

The Packers relied on Willis' ability to run, which opened up their passing game and their rushing attack.

Basically, what you want the Colts to do is what the Packers did vs us.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

AR is going to get crapped on, and rightfully so…but I am absolutely SHOCKED that I haven’t seen ONE post about wide receivers and tight ends.  They were absolute TRASH today lol

• Like 6

Oof. It’s gotta be better than this with Richardson. It has to be. Plenty of drops didn’t help him out today, but it still has to be better than this. 

This overly vertical shotgun offense is ineffective. Where is the 2023 Steichen? This ain’t it, and I’m quickly fading on him right now. This is not the offensive guru we were told. 

Defense did enough to win today. Offense…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, SR711 said:

Yes, the QB situation with Richardson is 100% on Ballard.  He had every opportunity to go multiple different directions since Luck retired and either got sold a lemon (Matt Ryan), misevaluated what a guy was brought here to do (Carson Wentz and Phillip Rivers) or flat overrated someone on his own roster (Jacoby Brissett). 

Its starting to look like maybe one of top reasons he went with a project like AR is it gives him a built-in excuse for fans, media, etc to "look past" things like wins and losses, thus giving him more unwarranted job security.  

Phillip Rivers was not a misevaluation.  He worked.  The Colts made the playoffs that year and had Buffalo on the ropes.  Jacoby they had no other choice the year they started him.  Ryan, Wentz, and AR I’ll give you but Rivers worked.  Still he showed why a band aide is always the best option because it’s what happens when the band aide comes off for the play Flacco crowd.  Also, I am on the Ballard needs to go if AR doesn’t work bandwagon.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Introspect said:

Looks like Irsay will die knowing his team has been wrecked by Ballard. God Bless his soul.

Grigson wrecked this team long before Ballard got his hands on it.  It’s Grigson’s fault with the o-line that Andrew Luck isn’t the Colts QB today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

You do realize it’s AR who decides where he throws it. Steichen isn’t controlling him. 

agreed, but do you think it was AR making bad reads, our receivers/tight ends, or both?

Correct answer is both.  No way anyone is fine with the performance of our receiving room and that does not all fall on AR.

15 minutes ago, Knuckles79 said:

I never stated I wanted Flacco to start. I have never seen a starting Qb take himself out of the game  like a Running Back. He lacks toughness and that isn't something that's good to witness as a starting Qb with a Captain patch. I bet Michael Pittman was deflated after gutting it out every week and seeing his Qb Tap out

When did he take himself out, I missed that

44 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

AR tapped out because he was tired or out of breath. He actually asked out of a close game on third down. Unreal. He’s right when he describes himself as “one of one.” No other quarterback does that. 

I remember Jim Harbaugh tapping out of a game completely in Miami.  

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

AR went from a potential franchise QB to a franchise tease in Season 2 so far. Even Eli Manning was sat behind Kurt Warner for a few games before being thrown in.

If an average of ADEQUATE is good enough, stay the course with AR. Or change play calling drastically like John Fox did for Tim Tebow that Broncos season to make it work.

And Eli took over his rookie year and they never looked back.  Richardson is past his rookie year.  He did the equivalent of sitting to learn last year, a lot of good it’s done him.  The bottom line is he may very well just be a bust.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

agreed, but do you think it was AR making bad reads, our receivers/tight ends, or both?

Correct answer is both.  No way anyone is fine with the performance of our receiving room and that does not all fall on AR.

Honestly I give the receivers grace because when AR throws they don’t know where it’s gonna be, which is hard to build rapport. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There was 23 seconds left. No one was going to do anything.  

Texans would have used all their time outs just to give the colts extra chances to screw up with the extra snaps. Don't you agree punting after 4th down would have been better than tossing an interception? 

I don’t know if Shane was ever a head coach for a high school team but I think a high school coach would have taken a knee to end the half.  Especially with an inaccurate quarterback who has been throwing interceptions at a fast rate.  That was pretty much a seven point gift.  He’s being paid millions for decisions like that.  Amazing.  You can’t make that stuff up.

Just now, Zoltan said:

Honestly I give the receivers grace because when AR throws they don’t know where it’s gonna be, which is hard to build rapport. 

The Texans also had 10 pass breakups today.  Sometimes the other team makes plays and we saw that today.  Still AR completing 33% of his passes isn’t going to work regardless of the cause rather you think it’s him, the coaches, the receivers, or the other team or heck a combo of all of the above.  The bottom line is he has to be better and Shane better find a way to make him better and Ballard better find him a security blanket to make him comfortable or everyone is getting fired and replaced at some point.

• Like 2

Just now, richard pallo said:

I don’t know if Shane was ever a head coach for a high school team but I think a high school coach would have taken a knee to end the half.  Especially with an inaccurate quarterback who has been throwing interceptions at a fast rate.  That was pretty much a seven point gift.  He’s being paid millions for decisions like that.  Amazing.  You can’t make that stuff up.

Or give it to your superstar running back who has a history of running wild on the team you are playing to see if he busts a big run and you get lucky if you truly want to take a chance there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

We were getting the ball to start the second half and Houston was content to let it run.  Such a horrible, horrible decision.  

Steichen doesn’t learn from his mistakes.  He did the same thing last year vs. Cleveland.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Or give it to your superstar running back who has a history of running wild on the team you are playing to see if he busts a big run and you get lucky if you truly want to take a chance there.

Or do what you did on 4th and 3, and let your athletic qb get the yards. Use a timeout and take a shot downfield once you get the first and decide what is best. If you want to be aggressive then, take a shot deep to avoid gifting them 7 points before half. That play was such a massive turn of events, that it can't be understated. Yes, it was a horrible throw and decision by Richardson. But why is anyone shocked by that? HAS to be better game management by the playcalling head coach. Has to.

1 hour ago, JTrouble said:

Why? 

Because that’s who he holds responsible for everything regardless of it is his fault or not.  Look I think Ballard needs to go if AR is a bust along with Shane but the bottom line is Ballard isn’t the guy who went 2/15 in the first half today and threw the game deciding pick on a very poor decision and completed just 33% of his passes today.  He’s also not the one who keeps coming out with the same offensive game plan that isn’t working and made the call to throw from his own 7 with :30 left to start with.  Ballard has a lot to be held accountable for but he’s not to blame for everything.  If people are truly into accountability you need to hold the QB and coach to the same standard and not just blame the GM because he’s the GM and there for responsible for everything.

• Like 2

Today was your daily reminder that AR's problems are a lack of skill, not a lack of experience. Until he figures out the accuracy, footwork/mechanics, decision making it doesn't matter how much he plays - right now he doesn't have the skills to read the field, make completions and consistently move the chains. Rough outing, onto the next one. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

Even with what you just said, if even ONE of those plays mentioned in that tweet goes the opposite way, we win this game even with ARs bad stat line.  Naw man, AR did have some bad throws, but I did not see our receivers outside of AD and Josh Downs getting any separation. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Or do what you did on 4th and 3, and let your athletic qb get the yards. Use a timeout and take a shot downfield once you get the first and decide what is best. If you want to be aggressive then, take a shot deep to avoid gifting them 7 points before half. That play was such a massive turn of events, that it can't be understated. Yes, it was a horrible throw and decision by Richardson. But why is anyone shocked by that? HAS to be better game management by the playcalling head coach. Has to.

Yeah it was bad all around bad play call by the coach to start with followed by an awful decision by your QB to make a bad play call worse.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

100%

I've been saying that 10 times a week since the start of the season.  

Richardson needs to change games with his legs, otherwise there is no point to Richardson.

Just now, #12. said:

H

I've been saying that 10 times a week since the start of the season.  

Richardson needs to change games with his legs, otherwise there is no point to Richardson.

Yeah that’s why this isn’t ALL on AR.  The way Shane has coached the offense in general this year has been awful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, #12. said:

We were getting the ball to start the second half and Houston was content to let it run.  Such a horrible, horrible decision.  

Steichen doesn’t learn from his mistakes.  He did the same thing last year vs. Cleveland.

He did it last week v Miami, if I remember correctly.

56 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Everyone keeps saying that we could have run out the half by "taking a knee." Not true as Houston had all 3 time outs left. Colts should have run on 2nd and 3 and again on 3rd down. If we made the first down , then take the knee. I do believe Houston would have used their time outs. Also Downs should have never called for a fair catch at the 5. 

The mistake Steichen made was calling timeout after they sacked Stroud. Knowing Houston had all 3 timeouts, and would be punting, most likely pinning us deep in our own territory, SS should have just let the clock run, make them punt, and then run the ball to get to halftime tied.

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They are determined to make AR a pocket passer.  So far it’s not working.

I am not sure that is their goal. I think they are taking this approach. We know he can run but I think they want to have long term success. Maybe they want to put him in the position where he has to throw more than run.  If he can learn to *, it  makes him a much more dangerous qb. If they play him like a college qb. I think they feel he will get hurt and probably hinder  development. They maybe using a baptism by fire approach.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah that’s why this isn’t ALL on AR.  The way Shane has coached the offense in general this year has been awful.

It's due to the injury fear.  It might be coming from Ballard.

You have to utilize Richardson's legs and let the chips fall where they may.

• Thanks 1

I unfortunately only got to watch for an hour or so. The Texans just scored to 10-10. when I had to leave.

But, from that first hour and going by the game stats, it looks like the lessons learned from last week... weren't...

Run AR to open up the passing game. Give him easy completions. Fail and fail. I said it last week and I'll say it again Steichen can't HC AND playcall.

AR has a looong way to go...

• Like 1

Just now, #12. said:

He’s never gonna learn to pass if they just let him run all the time. They may be forcing him to get the throws in.

The very same people saying they need to let him run are the same people who say he needs time to develop.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

I think it’s coming the coach and with Richardson constantly talking about not wanting to get down because he likes his chances I get it but you have to take that risk.  Ballard doesn’t call the plays.

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They are determined to make AR a pocket passer.  So far it’s not working.

Yeah and that has been an awful decision that’s not who you drafted.  If that’s what you wanted either trade the farm to go get Stroud or draft Levis.  You don’t take AR to do that.  For the record I am not saying taking Levis would have worked I am just saying he’s that style of QB.

• Like 2