Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Woods injured(again)

csmopar

Anyone seen an update to how bad his injury is?  I was really high on him his rookie year but seems that he’s always hurt. I figure he’ll now start on IR with the TE room being so crowded. But I’m thinking it’s time to cut the dude before next year

31 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Anyone seen an update to how bad his injury is?  I was really high on him his rookie year but seems that he’s always hurt. I figure he’ll now start on IR with the TE room being so crowded. But I’m thinking it’s time to cut the dude before next year

Best case for the Colts is if they can get him on IR.  The other four have out played him, but he theoretically has the biggest upside.  From what I heard from the pods is that he blocked pretty well last night.  Which is a real plus.

Put him on IR, keep the other 4.  Let him keep training.  I doubt they want to give up on him this soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Best case for the Colts is if they can get him on IR.  The other four have out played him, but he theoretically has the biggest upside.  From what I heard from the pods is that he blocked pretty well last night.  Which is a real plus.

Put him on IR, keep the other 4.  Let him keep training.  I doubt they want to give up on him this soon.

If he's on IR can he train at all?  Sort seems to defeat the purpose if he can't.  Not sure?

16 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

So if he isn't expected to have a serious injury,  why worry about IR?  

Has he really been that bad?  Fifth?  Eek 

Granson is TE 1, MAC though limited upside TE 2, Mallory has pass catching skills TE 3, Ogletree future as blocking TE once MAC moves on TE 4. Woods TE 5 and in danger of getting cut, Put on IR wait to see if anyone else gets banged up and plays below expectations then when he is 100% bring him off.

• Like 1

IMHO he’s not been showing to be bad and I think his blocking has actually improved. I feel like he’s one of those players who play better than practice better. It was the same thing his rookie year if some of you will recall it was the same sort of talk his rookie year. Mainly how Ogletree was better and there were talks about him possibly being cut then. Ogletree gets injured and Woods has a pretty good year with Reich and Ryan being absolute duds. A year off of football hasn’t done him any favors but when he’s been on the field he doesn’t look bad and has been active in special teams as well. Going to be some tough roster gymnastics no doubt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I heard it’s not expected to keep him out for a significant amount of time but it’s alarming how often injured he gets. It’s certainly likely to impact his ability to make the time. Unless they pull the same IR move that they did last year in order to keep him.

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Granson is TE 1, MAC though limited upside TE 2, Mallory has pass catching skills TE 3, Ogletree future as blocking TE once MAC moves on TE 4. Woods TE 5 and in danger of getting cut, Put on IR wait to see if anyone else gets banged up and plays below expectations then when he is 100% bring him off.

Not a bad assessment.  I went into this year thinking that MAC and Granson didn’t seem to be part of the future, so one of them had to go.  But no one else stepped up to claim the spot.  A little disappointed that Woods or Ogletree haven’t made themselves necessary…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Not a bad assessment.  I went into this year thinking that MAC and Granson didn’t seem to be part of the future, so one of them had to go.  But no one else stepped up to claim the spot.  A little disappointed that Woods or Ogletree haven’t made themselves necessary…

I say this without a complete understanding how the TE position will be used with AR in the Steichen offense. I feel the team is seeing what they have and it’s looking like nothing great but not bad either. Will probably utilize whoever is available but none of these guys will likely be game changers. They will serve their role and there is value in that. Big plays will come from WR, RB and the QBs legs with a few clutch type plays a game coming from the TE position. 

• Like 1

Woods also had a key block on Goodson’s TD vs Denver.  It sounds like he’s improved his blocking and caught the only ball thrown his way with the exception of Ehlinger’s INT vs Denver.

I agree that he seems like a player who plays better on game day.  I’m not cutting him considering MAC and Granson are FA’s after this season.  Woods is a year behind the other TE’s when it comes to Steichen’s system.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Mallory is way better than Granson IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Mallory is way better than Granson IMO

I like Mallory also.

Granson was improved last year as a blocker, and a little better all around.

So if you actually watch him closely, he is very effective at what he is asked to do.

Mallory has gotten better, more reliable, and looks like he is developing Doyle qualities. 

I wouldn't say that Mallory is a better player today. They are close to being equally effective at what they are asked to do. And I would expect Granson to average a few more snaps per game.

• Like 1

Ballard talked about Granson as if he's a hybrid, not a TE. He called Mallory and Woods the F guys, and MAC and Ogletree the Ys. It made me think that maybe we'll keep five, but I also think we're pretty flooded at WR and RB, so there's probably not room.

Either way, Woods has to be healthy, and he needs to have a good game Thursday. I still think he has the most upside of anyone in the room, and it would suck if he's gone due to roster constraints. But bottom line, he has to produce to stay. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2024 at 9:32 AM, DiogoSales said:

Even without the injury he's TE 5 right now.

Great traits, but Mallory it's just better.

FWIW:   Mallory and Woods don’t play the same TE position.   Woods is a Y….  The guy typically lined up in the hip of a tackle.  Mallory is an F,  flanked out wider.  Can block but is more of a big receiver.  

With not having to carry and extra QB on the roster does that help solidify keeping 5? I’d really hate to give up on any of them whenever 2 of them are slated for free agency next year.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

FWIW:   Mallory and Woods don’t play the same TE position.   Woods is a Y….  The guy typically lined up in the hip of a tackle.  Mallory is an F,  flanked out wider.  Can block but is more of a big receiver.  

If you listen to Ballard's interview with JMV last week, he called Mallory and Woods Fs, and he called Mac and Ogletree Ys. That's also reflected on the early depth charts, where Mallory and Woods are #2 and #3 behind Granson. 

And I think I get it. If you're looking at size and body composition, it's reasonable to call Woods a Y. But if you look at movement ability and potential scheme usage, there's a case to be made for him at F.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

If you listen to Ballard's interview with JMV last week, he called Mallory and Woods Fs, and he called Mac and Ogletree Ys. That's also reflected on the early depth charts, where Mallory and Woods are #2 and #3 behind Granson. 

And I think I get it. If you're looking at size and body composition, it's reasonable to call Woods a Y. But if you look at movement ability and potential scheme usage, there's a case to be made for him at F.

Well, well….   This is the first I’ve ever heard that.  I find it pretty surprising.  

So the F’s are Granson, Mallory and Woods.   Wow, didn’t ever see that coming.  Woods spent three years at Okla State as a primary blocker before transferring to Virginia where he had one year as the primary receiving TE.   And now he’s an F?   Goodness.  

I learn something new every day.  Thanks for the good info.  

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well, well….   This is the first I’ve ever heard that.  I find it pretty surprising.  

So the F’s are Granson, Mallory and Woods.   Wow, didn’t ever see that coming.  Woods spent three years at Okla State as a primary blocker before transferring to Virginia where he had one year as the primary receiving TE.   And now he’s an F?   Goodness.  

I learn something new every day.  Thanks for the good info.  

Well I don't think the Colts draft Woods in the third round if he didn't spend that year at Virginia as a pass catching TE, so it's likely that they projected him as a pass catching TE. Physically speaking, I think he can do both, and if he reached his full potential, he'd be an every down TE and a significant matchup problem for defenses. But the Colts are penciling him in at F for now. And while I think he can be a capable blocker, there's no question that he has a lot of work to do on that part of his game.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Well I don't think the Colts draft Woods in the third round if he didn't spend that year at Virginia as a pass catching TE, so it's likely that they projected him as a pass catching TE. Physically speaking, I think he can do both, and if he reached his full potential, he'd be an every down TE and a significant matchup problem for defenses. But the Colts are penciling him in at F for now. And while I think he can be a capable blocker, there's no question that he has a lot of work to do on that part of his game.

Well…. For what it’s worth….  After the 2022 draft when the Colts scouts come out for interviews here’s what they said about drafting Woods and Ogletree:

The lead scout:  Chad Henry?   He said colleges aren’t turning out many Y’s anymore.  They’re turning out F’s.  And so when you find true Y’s you draft them if you can.  So they were clearly calling Woods and Ogletree Y’s that day.  Obviously things have changed. 

Still hoping the Colts find a way to keep all 5, even if it means someone like Woods starts the year on IR.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well…. For what it’s worth….  After the 2022 draft when the Colts scouts come out for interviews here’s what they said about drafting Woods and Ogletree:

The lead scout:  Chad Henry?   He said colleges aren’t turning out many Y’s anymore.  They’re turning out F’s.  And so when you find true Y’s you draft them if you can.  So they were clearly calling Woods and Ogletree Y’s that day.  Obviously things have changed. 

Still hoping the Colts find a way to keep all 5, even if it means someone like Woods starts the year on IR.  

I think Granson is fully an F, and someone like MAC is fully a Y (and I don't think he's very good at the things that make Ys so valuable; everyone talks about him as a good blocker, and I think he's maybe average). Everyone else is kind of on a spectrum. Mallory is more F than Y, Ogletree is more Y than F, but there are shared traits and responsibilities that they'll be expected to hold on gameday.

My point is that they could have viewed Woods as a Y, but they clearly saw him as a guy with a lot of potential as a receiving threat. I don't think they viewed him as a guy who was more of a blocker (like he was at OK State) than a receiver (like he was at Virginia). I know I didn't. 

If I were in charge, it would be Ogletree/Woods at Y, Granson/Mallory at F, and MAC would be gone. But using Woods in a movement role and looking for mismatches makes sense to me. 

• Like 1

If Woods can’t play in this last preseason game, I think he’s gone. Injury concerns, plus the fact that he doesn’t seem to offer the Colts something that the other TEs rostered don’t have. He’s gotten better as a blocker, but I don’t think he’s significantly better at it than Ogletree or MAC. Hasn’t shown much in the receiving game either. 

52 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If Woods can’t play in this last preseason game, I think he’s gone. Injury concerns, plus the fact that he doesn’t seem to offer the Colts something that the other TEs rostered don’t have. He’s gotten better as a blocker, but I don’t think he’s significantly better at it than Ogletree or MAC. Hasn’t shown much in the receiving game either. 

Does any player ever leave a preseason game with an injury, and then return in the same game? Reports said Woods' toe injury wasn't a big deal. I guess we'll see how things go tomorrow and Thursday, but I think he'll be out there. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

53 ROSTER TE:  GRANSON, MALLORY AND MO

WOODS AND OGLETREE.... ????  

THIS PAST WEEK GAMES (LIKE LIONS VS CHIEFS) THERE ARE ALOT OF DEPTH ON THEIR TEAM THAT WE COULD USE. TEXANS HAS ALOT OF DEPTH AS WELL.

Confused Cub Swanson GIF by UFC

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Does any player ever leave a preseason game with an injury, and then return in the same game? Reports said Woods' toe injury wasn't a big deal. I guess we'll see how things go tomorrow and Thursday, but I think he'll be out there. 

I get what your on about not returning in pre-season games, but this is a guy on the bubble. Obviously they’re not going to put a guy who is injured back out there, but this isn’t AR or MPJ we’re talking about. I heard the same about the injury, but this is bad timing. This is his last chance to make an impression. I don’t think ending TC camp the same way he ended it last year (not available and more questions than answers) would bode well for him.

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I get what your on about not returning in pre-season games, but this is a guy on the bubble. Obviously they’re not going to put a guy who is injured back out there, but this isn’t AR or MPJ we’re talking about. I heard the same about the injury, but this is bad timing. This is his last chance to make an impression. I don’t think ending TC camp the same way he ended it last year (not available and more questions than answers) would bode well for him.

He's not practicing today, so maybe he won't play Thursday.

• Thanks 1