Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your surprise opening day starter

Who has a chance to be an opening day starter that currently isnt sitting 1st on the depth chart ?

I'm going with Tanor Bortolini unseating Will Fries, I think with his versatility he starts for us at Guard then moves over to Center to replace Kelly in 2025.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll say Goncalves could have a better chance to unseat Fries early at RG. He seems to already have good strength, an area I feel Bortollini can get better with over the next full calendar year. 

• Like 4

I've read on this forum that AD will have to "earn" it to be even the number 3 WR on this team.  I dont buy that for a New York minute.  I'm going to say it right now....he will be our number 3 no doubt to start the season and I'd be willing to wager that he surpasses Downs as our number 2 by mid-season.....or sooner.

You can pin this message now and come back to me when I'm right!

😆 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nyyankeechris said:

I've read on this forum that AD will have to "earn" it to be even the number 3 WR on this team.  I dont buy that for a New York minute.  I'm going to say it right now....he will be our number 3 no doubt to start the season and I'd be willing to wager that he surpasses Downs as our number 2 by mid-season.....or sooner.

Of course he has to earn it they aren't going to give a slot to a lesser performer just because they drafted him in the 2nd.

• Like 1

Just now, Shepman said:

Of course he has to earn it they aren't going to give a slot to a lesser performer just because they drafted him in the 2nd.

Please don't take offense to this...but this guy is light years more talented than Pierce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

I’ll say Goncalves could have a better chance to unseat Fries early at RG. He seems to already have good strength, an area I feel Bortollini can get better with over the next full calendar year. 

I like Goncalves as well but think he needs to get stronger, he only put up 19 reps at the combine (Fries had 24 when he came out, Bortollini put up 27) he has the size and wingspan, needs to stay healthy but could supplant Smith down the road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Who has a chance to be an opening day starter that currently isnt sitting 1st on the depth chart ?

I'm going with Tanor Bortolini unseating Will Fries, I think with his versatility he starts for us at Guard then moves over to Center to replace Kelly in 2025.

This is an excellent question!  I am going to wimp out and say Cross at FS...lol!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nyyankeechris said:

Please don't take offense to this...but this guy is light years more talented than Pierce.

It’s probably true….  But that doesn’t mean Pierce can’t also be good.   Certainly improved over his first two years which are actually better than most here believe.  I think Pierce will be WR4.   But I expect him to be better than last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s probably true….  But that doesn’t mean Pierce can’t also be good.   Certainly improved over his first two years which are actually better than most here believe.  I think Pierce will be WR4.   But I expect him to be better than last year. 

Who do you think ends up with more rec yards this season Pierce or Gould ? I think it may be close, Pierce will see more time in 4 wr sets but think Gould will be utilized a lot as back up slot and gadget trick plays.

31 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Who do you think ends up with more rec yards this season Pierce or Gould ? I think it may be close, Pierce will see more time in 4 wr sets but think Gould will be utilized a lot as back up slot and gadget trick plays.

Im guessing…. But I’d say Pierce.   I think Gould’s primary role is special teams and a few gadget plays.   

But Pierce has a career average of just over 15 yards per catch.  That’s very impressive for a guy who clearly needs much more polish and better QB play.  

Im guessing AR gets about 30 pass attempts per game.  Completes 19-20 of them.   So there are only so many catches to go around.  Now, if I’m wrong (and I easily could be!) and AR gets 36 pass attempts, then he’s completing roughly 23-24 per game.   Still, not that many for WR4 and WR5.   

Just thinking out loud for consideration. 

Purely based on how much they've shown to love Concalves... I think there's non-zero chance he starts at RG. 

Jaylon Carlies ... maybe? If we count the 3d LB spot as a starter? 

Assuming no injuries to starters in camp then all returning starters start.  There is still a chance we acquire a veteran FS to start though.   I think the team is deep in a number of areas and if the rookies or IR players returning really show out in camp and the preseason I could see us trading a player or two at final cuts.

2 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

I like Goncalves as well but think he needs to get stronger, he only put up 19 reps at the combine (Fries had 24 when he came out, Bortollini put up 27) he has the size and wingspan, needs to stay healthy but could supplant Smith down the road.

I'm modestly concerned with Bortollini's size and arm length to play center let alone guard. lol

4 hours ago, nyyankeechris said:

The only thing that’s concerning is that AD has never had a lot of catches in college.  I’m not sure what that means, other than he was never the #1 receiver at either school.  

Yes, he scored in big games, and he’s confident in his abilities.  I’m sure Shane will put him in position to get the best out of him.  

I don't think there will be any surprises at all. Barring injury, all 25 starters returning from last year will start game 1 this year.

With one exception - if Woods is healthy, I believe Big Mo becomes a cap casualty this year to accommodate the young fella's 

As the year progresses there will be more change:

AD over Pierce

Mallory over Granson

Goncalves over Fries

Bortolini over Kelly (due to injury)

Harrison over Cross at SS with Blackmon sliding back to FS and the combo of Carlies & Young take over as our third down and long coverage backers

Latu over Ebukam and he becomes the default 3rd rush end behind Paye and Latu

Other predictions for non-starters

Tomi over Lewis in the DLine rotation as the year progresses

Davis over Bryan and Johnson in the IDLine rotation and Dayo becomes Buck's primary backup

Young over Stuard

Carlies over McGrone

Simpson over Baker

Abraham over Lammons

Speed converted to back up Safety and remains Dulin's replacement as a gunner on special teams

Slovis over Ehlinger with Slovis and Bean both on the PS

• Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 10:38 PM, Scott Pennock said:

I don't think there will be any surprises at all. Barring injury, all 25 starters returning from last year will start game 1 this year.

With one exception - if Woods is healthy, I believe Big Mo becomes a cap casualty this year to accommodate the young fella's 

As the year progresses there will be more change:

AD over Pierce

Mallory over Granson

Goncalves over Fries

Bortolini over Kelly (due to injury)

Harrison over Cross at SS with Blackmon sliding back to FS and the combo of Carlies & Young take over as our third down and long coverage backers

Latu over Ebukam and he becomes the default 3rd rush end behind Paye and Latu

Other predictions for non-starters

Tomi over Lewis in the DLine rotation as the year progresses

Davis over Bryan and Johnson in the IDLine rotation and Dayo becomes Buck's primary backup

Young over Stuard

Carlies over McGrone

Simpson over Baker

Abraham over Lammons

Speed converted to back up Safety and remains Dulin's replacement as a gunner on special teams

Slovis over Ehlinger with Slovis and Bean both on the PS

Some bizarre stuff.

• Thanks 2

I’m also putting my money on Daniel Scott.  Seems like his name came up with Ballard a few times this offseason, and he seemed to be playing with the starters at OTAs.  Cross has had a weird time on the team.  Going into year 3, we have no idea if he is a future or present starter…

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Archer said:

I’m also putting my money on Daniel Scott.  Seems like his name came up with Ballard a few times this offseason, and he seemed to be playing with the starters at OTAs.  Cross has had a weird time on the team.  Going into year 3, we have no idea if he is a future or present starter…

I will say this about Cross. From 2022 to 2023 he doubled all of his individual stats. He’s improving, and will hopefully continue. 

• Like 1

My surprise pick…left nostril over the right one…I never saw it coming. haha 

Pierce has been quite a disappointing pick so far, I really thought he was going to be a stud early on…I do think that AM easily has a chance to supplant him. Why does everyone refer to him as AD ? Just because his first two letters of his first name are that ? Seems odd to me…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Pierce has been quite a disappointing pick so far, I really thought he was going to be a stud early on…I do think that AM easily has a chance to supplant him. Why does everyone refer to him as AD ? Just because his first two letters of his first name are that ? Seems odd to me…

I think I remember announcers calling him AD in the play-by-play.  I believe he goes by AD Mitchell…

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I think I remember announcers calling him AD in the play-by-play.  I believe he goes by AD Mitchell…

We have a solid track record of receivers going by initials as a first name. Sample size is 1. Pretty much just TY. But I love that sample size, and I think AD can be the next.

He is basically TY with height, size, and length. I’m not sure he even has a ceiling at this point. If he develops consistently, the future is bright. 

7 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Good question :)

Wiki simply says he's nicknamed AD, I wonder if it had to do with Hebrew pronunciation of the word Adonai, which means Lord.. maybe, it's just that his family or friends started calling him AD  :D

On 5/18/2024 at 4:19 PM, stitches said:

Purely based on how much they've shown to love Goncalves... I think there's non-zero chance he starts at RG. 

I read that .... then reread it.......

Are you saying that he is a guaranteed starter?

Or there is no chance that he is the starter?

Its early, I havent finished my coffee.....  It might be my denseness

Goncalves would seem to have a real chance at RG.... IMHO

18 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I read that .... then reread it.......

Are you saying that he is a guaranteed starter?

Or there is no chance that he is the starter?

Its early, I havent finished my coffee.....  It might be my denseness

Goncalves would seem to have a real chance at RG.... IMHO

Think he is saying odds are better then zero he starts which leaves us in a range from .1 to 99.9...lol

• Like 2