Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Now I'm a guy who doesn't think any TE is worth drafting in the 1st round, so take this with a grain of salt but I hope anyone ahead of us takes him because I can't remember the last 1st round TE that amounted to anything and it would help us get a better player.

Kyle Pitts in Atlanta in 2021, TJ Hockenson in 2019, David Njoku in 2017, Greg Olsen 2007, that Dallas Clark guy in 2003, Ben Watson in 2004, Heath Miller in 2005, Vernon Davis in 2006, Macedes Lewis in 2006, Tyler Eifort in 2013.

Not sure if the Colts should go tight end but if Bowers is there it would be tempting and I think it’s okay to take a tight end in the first round.  Most years has at least one that’s worth a first round pick but I would agree with not moving up to get him.

• Like 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

I loved Dallas Clark as a Colt but I would say he never lived up to being a first rounder

I would disagree with that.  He had a season with over 100 catches for the Colts and was a major factor in their offense for several years.  He wasn’t a hall of famer by any means but you don’t have to be that good to be a successful first round pick but to each their own.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I would disagree with that.  He had a season with over 100 catches for the Colts and was a major factor in their offense for several years.  He wasn’t a hall of famer by any means but you don’t have to be that good to be a successful first round pick but to each their own.

He actually never had a season over 100 catches, he did have a season with exactly 100, but he also only had 3 seasons with over 500 yards.

I don't want to derail the thread though so I'll get back on track talking about the 15th pick.

4 hours ago, smittywerb said:

MHJ, Thomas, Nabers, Odunze, Franklin

Which ever one of those are available at 15 we draft him.  I don’t care which one it is.  I find it highly unlikely that we won’t be able to grab one of these first round graded WR1s.

We need a WR that can continuously get open past the sticks.  Badly.  And not one that can only run streaks (ex.  Alec Pierce)

No way Marvin Harrison Jr. Slides to 15. He may not even declare for the draft. There is a lot of buzz about him going back to OSU. He will likely make more money with the NIL than his rookie contract.

We need linebackers, we have one(Speed). Though the others are better than who the steelers use. I'm sure most of you noticed how bad the steeler linebackers were as our 3rd and 4th string running backs rolled up over 200 yards on them. O-line is set, running back is set, another receiver is needed, tightend(but Bowers won't be available at 15). On defense, linebacker and secondary. The defensive line is very good. We had 50 sacks this year, most all of which came from the linemen. There were too many plays however where we just didn't get enough pressure. Why? BECAUSE WE NEVER BLITZ! We never mix up the pass rush. I think most of the time the opponents never took into consideration a blitz was coming because they knew it wasn't. The opponents had 5 or 6 guys blocking 4 on probably 85% of the time, you just have too many plays with ZERO pressure as a result. Thus our pass defense sucks, as it has for the past 52 seasons. The most pressing need this offseason is a new defensive coordinator.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

We need linebackers, we have one(Speed). Though the others are better than who the steelers use. I'm sure most of you noticed how bad the steeler linebackers were as our 3rd and 4th string running backs rolled up over 200 yards on them. O-line is set, running back is set, another receiver is needed, tightend(but Bowers won't be available at 15). On defense, linebacker and secondary. The defensive line is very good. We had 50 sacks this year, most all of which came from the linemen. There were too many plays however where we just didn't get enough pressure. Why? BECAUSE WE NEVER BLITZ! We never mix up the pass rush. I think most of the time the opponents never took into consideration a blitz was coming because they knew it wasn't. The opponents had 5 or 6 guys blocking 4 on probably 85% of the time, you just have too many plays with ZERO pressure as a result. Thus our pass defense sucks, as it has for the past 52 seasons. The most pressing need this offseason is a new defensive coordinator.

Franklin has lead the league in tackles two years running.  No he’s not the best linebacker in football like he says but he’s not a chump back there either.  I fine with adding more at linebacker but to say Speed is their only linebacker is being a little disingenuous towards Franklin.  He’s clearly a NFL starting level linebacker.  

• Like 1

I like Franklin, but I think he gets pushed out of the way too often and he's not all that good in coverage. But it is very noticeable how much better he is than Olubi, Stuard, and Mcgrone. We could draft 3 linebackers and replace all 3 of them, we are lacking depth.

2 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I like Franklin, but I think he gets pushed out of the way too often and he's not all that good in coverage. But it is very noticeable how much better he is than Olubi, Stuard, and Mcgrone. We could draft 3 linebackers and replace all 3 of them, we are lacking depth.

Well Stuart is here for special teams and emergency use so I think he’s staying.

I would like to see them add a linebacker who can cover the pass.  Speed is okay at it but not great either.  I’d agree it’s a weakness in Franklin’s game but he shows up in run support when Grover and Buckner close the gaps Franklin is normally the one to finish the back off.  That’s why he has so many tackles.  

Still with Shaq being released they need to replace him so a linebacker isn’t out the question high.  I doubt it will be at 15 as there just arent really any projected around that range but the second or third round I could easily see it.  

I will say Ballard has proven he can find linebackers anywhere in the draft.  It’s maybe his best drafted position.  

I also think Olubi showed some promise as a rookie basically.  I think he’s back as depth but even with him and Straud back you probably need a couple more and one needs to be a starter level guy.  They may use free agency to address on spot or bring back a guy like Harrison but yeah I do expect a linebacker to be drafted somewhere.  

I am going to preface this with I’ll believe it when it happens but it wouldn’t completely shock me if Irsay tells Ballard to go get Marvin Jr.  it would cost a lot and it’s not a move I think Ballard would do on his own but I could see Irsay wanting to relive the Colts glory days potentially ordering it.  

Again I think it’s a long shot at best and I am definitely not saying they should or will do this.  I am just not completely ruling it out because the Harrison tie to Indy.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

I loved Dallas Clark as a Colt but I would say he never lived up to being a first rounder

If you redid that draft, Mathis would move in front of him, but Clark would probably still go somewhere in that area of the first round.

Whether or not it was the smartest pick for the Colts is a different issue.  It might have been overkill, but he was pretty big in the playoffs.

7 picks in the draft.... bet Ballard makes a trade, so we end up with 8 or 9 picks.

wouldn't be surprised if he trade our 1st pick and trade back in the top of round 2. 

But I hope we select either Laiatu Latu or Jared Verse as we need a new pass rusher to strengthen our D#

Would be a solid pick at #15. 

It's time for Ballard to finally use a 1st round pick on WR if Odunze is there. 

I have more faith in this up coming year since Steichen will have input on players. 

WR (sign Pittmann too) 

DE (hopefully re-sign Lewis) 

TE (let Cox go, Ogletree might be gone) 

LB (Olubi looks decent in limited playing time) 

DT (has Grover been the same since he got busted for PEDs?) 

S (Blackmon is a keeper - Cross is ok, Thomas ain't it) 

CB (plus slot - will Kenny moore be re-signed?) 

QB (hope they re-sign Minshew and get him new contacts that can see the number 14, but Ehlinger needs to be gone - he's not it) 

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

All you have to do is go watch games where he played. It was much more spread out offense with receivers wide open. Take Nico Collin’s as a example. Under 500 yards last two years. Almost trippled it with stroud. Then think about how open jt is going to be with a guy that can throw deep and take off with  the the ball. As long as Richardson is healthy it’s going to be hard to stop.

how much did Pierce and Richardson hook up when he was healthy?

Pierce has some athletic flaws that we need upgrades on.  You can't do much with him in terms of RAC, he doesn't make anyone miss with the ball in his hands, he drops balls. About the most you get out of him is a few deep shots and he doesn't even come down with those as much as he showed in college. We could stand an upgrade.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Preach!

I think WR is our biggest need, but if there was an elite LB in this draft and neither Odunze or Nabers were available at 15 I'd take the LB. The way this defense is run with lack of pressure and no blitzing we ABSOLUTELY need LBs who can cover - and our guys can't.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Preach!

I think WR is our biggest need, but if there was an elite LB in this draft and neither Odunze or Nabers were available at 15 I'd take the LB. The way this defense is run with lack of pressure and no blitzing we ABSOLUTELY need LBs who can cover - and our guys can't.

The NFL has gone away though from 3 down LBs, there aren’t many of those and utility guys that are former safeties that can cover are used for blitzing and coverage. Every once in a while you get a guy like Roquan Smith or Devin White that has range, explosiveness and ability to play in the box. But those are few.

CBs on an island, OTs 1-on-1 or WRs/TEs give faster ROI. A guy named Myles Jack was on that 2017 Jaguars D and has been shuffling from team to team just based on those utility skills I talked about. 

Chiefs got Willie Gay and Nick Bolton, both on Day 2 of the draft that have made great contributions to their team, so yeah I agree Ballard is looking for LBs on Day 2 after Leonard’s departure too.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

All I have seen from Richardson is injuries and running. He has had some good throws yes but literally nothing has showed that he will be the answer yet. I predict (hopefully I’m absolutely wrong) him getting hurt next year again. If this happens I’m hoping for a tank and #1 pick for a qb. Never liked a running qb. 

Did you predict only nine teams would have their starting QBs at the end of this year too?

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Richardson being back is going to make all the WR better.

Seriously, please just STOP. This happens every year.  You all know what is needed and suddenly it's lineman or defensive backs. So stupid. 

The NEED is WR1. It has been since Wayne departed. Enough about the defense and enough about AR making the WR's better. HE won't. You're acting like he is Tom Brady.

Everyone on this forum should implode if Ballard does not make a WR1 the priority no matter the cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Seriously, please just STOP. This happens every year.  You all know what is needed and suddenly it's lineman or defensive backs. So stupid. 

The NEED is WR1. It has been since Wayne departed. Enough about the defense and enough about AR making the WR's better. HE won't. You're acting like he is Tom Brady.

Everyone on this forum should implode if Ballard does not make a WR1 the priority no matter the cost.

The evidence is there. You Richardson haters just don’t want to admit it.  Colts biggest issue had always been QB. Adding another WR though is always a good thing.

• Like 1

My main problem with Pierce is the lack of game breaking athleticism. The lack of RAC ability. Yeah he is fast but it's all straight line speed. Yeah it took Reggie about 2 years but you could always see the athleticism Reggie had. You knew you had an athlete. I don't and really have never completely seen that with Pierce

Just now, krunk said:

My main problem with Pierce is the lack of game breaking athleticism. The lack of RAC ability. Yeah he is fast but it's all straight line speed. Yeah it took Reggie about 2 years but you could always see the athleticism Reggie had. You knew you had an athlete. I don't and really have never completely seen that with Pierce

Yep. His route tree need to be better.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

how much did Pierce and Richardson hook up when he was healthy?

Pierce has some athletic flaws that we need upgrades on.  You can't do much with him in terms of RAC, he doesn't make anyone miss with the ball in his hands, he drops balls. About the most you get out of him is a few deep shots and he doesn't even come down with those as much as he showed in college. We could stand an upgrade.

Thst isn’t fair. Richardson barely played. Also when he hurt his shoulder Shane was just starting  to open up the offense. Even stroud was not good first couple games.  BTW I never said we shouldn’t get another WR. That is always a good thing. I just think the need is over exaggerated. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well Stuart is here for special teams and emergency use so I think he’s staying.

I would like to see them add a linebacker who can cover the pass.  Speed is okay at it but not great either.  I’d agree it’s a weakness in Franklin’s game but he shows up in run support when Grover and Buckner close the gaps Franklin is normally the one to finish the back off.  That’s why he has so many tackles.  

Still with Shaq being released they need to replace him so a linebacker isn’t out the question high.  I doubt it will be at 15 as there just arent really any projected around that range but the second or third round I could easily see it.  

I will say Ballard has proven he can find linebackers anywhere in the draft.  It’s maybe his best drafted position.  

I also think Olubi showed some promise as a rookie basically.  I think he’s back as depth but even with him and Straud back you probably need a couple more and one needs to be a starter level guy.  They may use free agency to address on spot or bring back a guy like Harrison but yeah I do expect a linebacker to be drafted somewhere.  

I agree, I see one of the middle rounds as an LB. Marist Liufau could be the pick. Olubi looked good at times, but I also can’t get the image out of my head of him flexing on Texans after making a tackle in which they got a first down. Don’t flex when they got a first down on you and they’re winning.

• Like 1

Based on Tankathon these players will be available at 15 in position of need (they have us taking verse)

Jared Verse EDGE | Florida State 6'4"   248 lbs T

Kool-Aid McKinstryCB | Alabama6'1"195 lbsT

Keon Coleman WR | Florida State6'4"215 lbs

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts should be able to get a elite defensive player with that pick.

If we go defense Nate Wiggins and Cooper Dejean are on my shopping list at CB

Dejean is 6’1” 207 lbs  is like having an additional LB on the field

Wiggens is 6’2” and has 4.3 range speed

both would start day 1

4 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Based on Tankathon these players will be available at 15 in position of need (they have us taking verse)

Jared Verse EDGE | Florida State 6'4"   248 lbs T

Kool-Aid McKinstryCB | Alabama6'1"195 lbsT

Keon Coleman WR | Florida State6'4"215 lbs

IMHO

Verse isn’t a sack leader but gets a huge amount of pressures

I don’t believe that he is that needed difference maker that this team needs

Koolaid would be awesome,,…. Sign me up

for me a VERY hard pass on Keon Coleman

This defense needs a separation type WR…. To keep us away from the 8 man box that we see again and again and again

Coleman is not that guy……. He is a jump ball contested catch guy

I bet he runs a 4.6 40

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Preach!

Great point, but there isn’t that can’t miss LB in this draft. 

There will be some LBs in round 2,3,and 4, that would start immediately 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Franklin has lead the league in tackles two years running.  No he’s not the best linebacker in football like he says but he’s not a chump back there either.  I fine with adding more at linebacker but to say Speed is their only linebacker is being a little disingenuous towards Franklin.  He’s clearly a NFL starting level linebacker.  

Absolutely agree

Speed is a keeper as well but I am wondering if he should go back to SSLB and we draft a WSLB

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I have more faith in this up coming year since Steichen will have input on players. 

WR (sign Pittmann too) 

QB (hope they re-sign Minshew and get him new contacts that can see the number 14, but Ehlinger needs to be gone - he's not it) 

I am all for it but have a gut feel that he will trade back for more picks and a later round 1 pick

He likes to draft lineman in round 1

That seems like a Ballard move

6 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

7 picks in the draft.... bet Ballard makes a trade, so we end up with 8 or 9 picks.

wouldn't be surprised if he trade our 1st pick and trade back in the top of round 2. 

But I hope we select either Laiatu Latu or Jared Verse as we need a new pass rusher to strengthen our D#

Would be a solid pick at #15. 

If Ballard trades back into the top of round 2 from 15 he had better get at least a 2025 1st back as well, if not more or it’s a stupid trade. 

28 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Great point, but there isn’t that can’t miss LB in this draft. 

There will be some LBs in round 2,3,and 4, that would start immediately 

LB Edgerrin Cooper is pretty darn good. Would love him in round 3 for Indy. 

38 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am all for it but have a gut feel that he will trade back for more picks and a later round 1 pick

He likes to draft lineman in round 1

That seems like a Ballard move

7 drafts no? Two linemen picked in first round.... I don't see a like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Hey, if he is like the occasional deep threat type that Will Fuller was for the Texans (minus the hamstring history and missed games), you pair him up with a QB that can hit him consistently, then Ds will play off and he should be more productive. Feast or famine Will Fuller, we used to call him for fantasy purposes, and that has been Pierce's story so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

WR (sign Pittmann too) 

Agree with most of this aside from Lewis. I don’t see what he has done to keep him. He could easily be replaced and wish they would. 

15 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

What will it be worth in a trade back? That’s what he does.

Well he got like 3 years of high seconds once for trading back for a first. I’d say something in there.  But if he trades it, I think it’ll be for a starter none of us currently can think of. Otherwise, he’ll stand pat, maybe move up if the right guy is there