Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

43 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I think there are. Jamarr Chase, J. Jefferson, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Tyreek Hill, Diggs, Mike Evans, Deebo, Garrett Wilson, Cooper Kupp, C. Lamb and many more.   It depends what you see as "many".

So if we use your list. That means there are less than .5 pee NFL team

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So if we use your list. That means there are less than .5 pee NFL team

You want me to list everyone?? How many is enough?

This fan says you guys need a #1 WR. That is not impossible. There are many.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You want me to list everyone?? How many is enough?

This fan says you guys need a #1 WR. That is not impossible. There are many.

There are far less than 1 elite wr per team.   Far less

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I think there are. Jamarr Chase, J. Jefferson, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Tyreek Hill, Diggs, Mike Evans, Deebo, Garrett Wilson, Cooper Kupp, C. Lamb and many more.   It depends what you see as "many".

Almost all of those guys were drafted mid first round. Colds do have a chance to draft a WR for the first time in that range. They will have to determine if they think those WR are difference makers and worth taking at 15.

On 1/8/2024 at 2:16 PM, krunk said:

Not entirely. I can go back and show you several throws he made to Downs and Pittman to highlight evidence of what things may be like with Richardson healthy. Wasn't the same with Pierce. We didn't even have much of a down field passing game when Richardson was healthy and Pierce had trouble hanging on to his passes.

Pierce had 3 drops for the season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

I really hope this year Ballard stays pat and drafts at 15.  Or trades up (which I doubt he does).

Ballard and Dodds have built a roster with many weaknesses.

We need to trade back for more picks.

Fortunately it's a deep draft making more sense to trade back.

48 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I disagree.  Staying put with quality picks will help more than throwing darts at the board.

• Thanks 1

I am tired of trading back for more picks. Get that great WR like a Jamarr Chase. Alex Pierce is a nice player but not a savvy player like TY Hilton. If the Texans can develop players Dell and Collins in one year, why can't we?  Reggie Wayne and Steichen need to work harder

17 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

…Alex Pierce is a nice player but not a savvy player like TY Hilton. If the Texans can develop players Dell and Collins in one year, why can't we?  Reggie Wayne and Steichen need to work harder

TY Hilton was drafted in the 3rd round. 

Tank Dell was drafted in the 3rd round. 

Nico Collin’s was drafted in the 3rd round. 

Ja’Mar Chase was the 5th pick of the draft. 

Your own post makes the case that we aren’t picking early enough to get a Ja’Marr Chase but way too early to get some very quality receivers. By your own logic, it would make sense to trade back and get more 2nd and 3rd round picks. Right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I haven’t read yet that it’s a deep draft.   I’ve read that it’s very deep at wide receiver and I’ve read it’s deeper on the offensive side than defensive.   

Im still looking for respected opinions on just how good the overall draft is. 

2 hours ago, AustexColt said:

I am tired of trading back for more picks. Get that great WR like a Jamarr Chase. Alex Pierce is a nice player but not a savvy player like TY Hilton. If the Texans can develop players Dell and Collins in one year, why can't we?  Reggie Wayne and Steichen need to work harder

i saw cj stroud only throwing to dell and Collins this year… 

After the first round, it's not where u pick, its who u pick. The fact is Ballard has been tremendous at picking LBers and Olman and terrible at the positions we need, Edge, DB's, TE's and average at Wr's. That's why we still need those positions because he keeps busting on them....... 4 years ago we drafted an Edge, CB and wr all in the second round. None of them are on the team and none are decent players elsewhere. We cant keep bustin like that on high picks or we keep having to reload with young players and excuses. This is a BIG offseason for Ballard and AR5 IMO.

2 years ago we were young on the DL, last year we were young on the OL and this year we were young in the secondary. Have to hit on picks and add some veterans to break that cycle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

FS. Then  bring Blackmon back. Ballard hinted at this being a big need

This is one of the old school things Gus does.   He uses a true FS and SS instead of interchangeable safeties like most of the league is moving towards.   

4 hours ago, lester said:

Your own post makes the case that we aren’t picking early enough to get a Ja’Marr Chase but way too early to get some very quality receivers. By your own logic, it would make sense to trade back and get more 2nd and 3rd round picks. Right?

Puka Nacua was the 5th round, and broke all rookie WR records.

I feel like the hit percentage gets higher the earlier you draft WRs, but Ballard doesn’t seem to be able to hit on those mid-late round WR gems like many other GMs. Can our scouts just not scout WRs? We always seem to hit on later round DBs and LBs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Oh man it’s so easy I wonder why Ballard never thought to get a great receiver in the draft!?  I mean it couldn’t be that Chase was the top WR in his draft class and a top five pick and the only two times Ballard has had picks that high he traded back and took Nelson and a guy they hope will be their next franchise QB in Richardson…

Also the Colts have developed Pittman and Downs.  Some feel Pierce’s problem has been the QB position and towards the end of the year Matt Ryan and Troy Aikman backed that theory up.

i am fine with adding another WR but it’s not because Ballard hasn’t thought to add a really good WR and the team has shown with Pittman and Downs they can develop WRs.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChuggaBeer said:

This is one of the old school things Gus does.   He uses a true FS and SS instead of interchangeable safeties like most of the league is moving towards.   

Considering Blackmon has played FS prior to SS I’m not sure that’s accurate.  

7 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Considering Blackmon has played FS prior to SS I’m not sure that’s accurate.  

Sure, but not interchangeable during the game.    We have a FS and SS   

That's what I see anyway 

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Sure, but not interchangeable during the game.    We have a FS and SS   

That's what I see anyway 

Two years ago they tried moving him to FS and this year they decided to move him back to SS which is his natural position.  The positions have different skill sets.  He excelled this year.  They need to bring him back.  An upgrade at FS would be huge for this defense imo. 

On 1/14/2024 at 6:32 PM, lester said:

We can  get a speedster  in the 3rd but odds of getting  a number 1 are lower

On 1/7/2024 at 7:43 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts should be able to get a elite defensive player with that pick.

The strength of the draft is wr and we truly need a true number 1. Reaching  for a defensive  player won't help

On 1/8/2024 at 5:23 PM, atapcl said:

Troy Franklin had 14tds in 2023. Brian Thomas led LSU and the nation with 17 tds in 2023.

That's  what need a wr that is a legit scoring threat each time they touch the ball.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Oh man it’s so easy I wonder why Ballard never thought to get a great receiver in the draft!?  I mean it couldn’t be that Chase was the top WR in his draft class and a top five pick and the only two times Ballard has had picks that high he traded back and took Nelson and a guy they hope will be their next franchise QB in Richardson…

Also the Colts have developed Pittman and Downs.  Some feel Pierce’s problem has been the QB position and towards the end of the year Matt Ryan and Troy Aikman backed that theory up.

i am fine with adding another WR but it’s not because Ballard hasn’t thought to add a really good WR and the team has shown with Pittman and Downs they can develop WRs.  

They haven't  added a first round  talent wr and this draft has alot of them. If he goes wr in the first we will have our next marvin Harrison  or Reggie wayne.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The strength of the draft is wr and we truly need a true number 1. Reaching  for a defensive  player won't help

I don’t think it would be reaching for a defensive player if the top 10 is saturated with receivers and quarterbacks… 

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Two years ago they tried moving him to FS and this year they decided to move him back to SS which is his natural position.  The positions have different skill sets.  He excelled this year.  They need to bring him back.  An upgrade at FS would be huge for this defense imo. 

Cross plays both Free and Strong equally well.  He graded out as the 25th best Safety out of 99 qualified players (Blackmon was 39 while Thomas was 90). It seems clear Thomas is the issue on the back end, 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Cross plays both Free and Strong equally well.  He graded out as the 25th best Safety out of 99 qualified players (Blackmon was 39 while Thomas was 90). It seems clear Thomas is the issue on the back end, 

For me Cross didn’t start playing a lot until the last five games or so.  So we have a small sample size.  It took him a long time to earn meaningful snaps.  He actually blew the coverage on the Texans big touchdown bomb on their first possession.  He has upside but I’m not sure he will start next year as the starting free safety.  I’m expecting a new addition in that position most likely a FA.  But we shall see.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

For me Cross didn’t start playing a lot until the last five games or so.  So we have a small sample size.  It took him a long time to earn meaningful snaps.  He actually blew the coverage on the Texans big touchdown bomb on their first possession.  He has upside but I’m not sure he will start next year as the starting free safety.  I’m expecting a new addition in that position most likely a FA.  But we shall see.

Gus refusing to play him over Thomas early was much like him keeping Facyson in last year though his trust was misplaced. Nick is only 22 years old after 2 NFL seasons and as the youngest player in the league in 2022. I wouldnt be opposed to vet help coming in. We get Daniel Scott back but he hasnt proven anything yet due to his lost rookie season.  Hoping we resign harrison and let him stay at Linebacker as a coverage LB is a need.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Gus refusing to play him over Thomas early was much like him keeping Facyson in last year though his trust was misplaced. Nick is only 22 years old after 2 NFL seasons and as the youngest player in the league in 2022. I wouldnt be opposed to vet help coming in. We get Daniel Scott back but he hasnt proven anything yet due to his lost rookie season.  Hoping we resign harrison and let him stay at Linebacker as a coverage LB is a need.

I think players earn their playing time in practice.  Then they keep it by playing well on the field.  I think being so young it most likely took awhile for him to finally see the field.  I think coaches play their best players.  They only hurt the team if they don’t.  Maybe he can keep it but I would feel better if we had a veteran playmaker back there at this point.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think players earn their playing time in practice.  Then they keep it by playing well on the field.  I think being so young it most likely took awhile for him to finally see the field.  I think coaches play their best players.  They only hurt the team if they don’t.  Maybe he can keep it but I would feel better if we had a veteran playmaker back there at this point.

Some coaches yes and some no. I think Gus has shown he plays favorites and is reluctant to make moves. Honestly at no point this season did Rodney Thomas play well, was beaten often out of position constantly time and again yet Gus kept him at out there. 90th of 99 players essentially means he was at the back end of the 3rd Safety on every team yet it took until week 13 for him to start the switch over and the results were night and day. Last year Facyson 56.2 vs Rodgers at 82.1......not a trend we can afford to let happen again in 2024.

39 minutes ago, Stephen said:

This eagles game is proof having good wrs are important 

Nah. They have better WRs than the Colts. They have top notch WRs. Yeah, AJ Brown didn’t play tonight but they’ve struggled offensively for more than a month WITH him too.

Brian Johnson and Nick Sirianni are frauds. Their utterly atrocious offensive planning and play calling (namely Johnson) have exposed them.

Colts should offer Pittman Jr a new contact for 4 years and Mike Evans a 2-3 year contract. We have the offensive line (need more depth off, but in terms of starters). We have the running back. Shore up those skill positions. 

Then draft futures wideouts in round 1-3 in the 2026-2027 drafts.

Pittman Jr’s and Evans’ contracts would fit perfect with Richardson’s rookie contract (one year option included).

3 minutes ago, James said:

Colts should offer Pittman Jr a new contact for 4 years and Mike Evans a 2-3 year contract. We have the offensive line (need more depth off, but in terms of starters). We have the running back. Shore up those skill positions. 

Then draft futures wideouts in round 1-3 in the 2026-2027 drafts.

Pittman Jr’s and Evans’ contracts would fit perfect with Richardson’s rookie contract (one year option included).

Colts are better off drafting a WR high.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, James said:

Nah. They have better WRs than the Colts. They have top notch WRs. Yeah, AJ Brown didn’t play tonight but they’ve struggled offensively for more than a month WITH him too.

Brian Johnson and Nick Sirianni are frauds. Their utterly atrocious offensive planning and play calling (namely Johnson) have exposed them.

Brian Johnson is a fraud?   The Lions OC is a fraud?    Nick Sirianni is a fraud?    

Dear God….  Where does this come from?       :facepalm: