Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

17 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Brian Johnson the Eagles OC... Not Ben Johnson the Lions OC

Thanks for the catch.  But I think we live in a world full of over-reaction to the latest upsets.   I don’t find it healthy to getting good analysis to more complex problems.  

Thats why places like ESPN devote lots of time to over-reactions.   Plenty want the latest instant analysis hot take.  I’m just not one of them.   Everyone is different.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Brian Johnson is a fraud?   The Lions OC is a fraud?    Nick Sirianni is a fraud?    

Dear God….  Where does this come from?       :facepalm:

What are you on about?

Lions OC = Ben Johnson

Eagles OC = Brian Johnson

Direct that facepalm at your own post.

And yes, BRIAN Johnson has along with Sirianni been absolutely abysmal for some time now resulting in the disappointing ending to the Eagles’ season.

Fraud is perhaps a bit hyperbolic, but it gets the message across. They have shown incompetence that’s not acceptable. 

53 minutes ago, James said:

What are you on about?

Lions OC = Ben Johnson

Eagles OC = Brian Johnson

Direct that facepalm at your own post.

And yes, BRIAN Johnson has along with Sirianni been absolutely abysmal for some time now resulting in the disappointing ending to the Eagles’ season.

Fraud is perhaps a bit hyperbolic, but it gets the message across. They have shown incompetence that’s not acceptable. 

Forgive me that I as a Colts fan didn’t realize the Lions OC is Ben Johnson,  while the Eagles OC is Brian Johnson.   Good on you.   

As for Sirianni being absolutely abysmal for “some time”….   The Eagles were in the SB in Feb and lost at the very end.  Then, the Eagles started the season 10-1 with two NEW coordinators.   So excuse me if I don’t agree that Sirianni has been abysmal for some time.  We’re talking 5-6 weeks.  

I think our views of football are worlds apart. 

15 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Some coaches yes and some no. I think Gus has shown he plays favorites and is reluctant to make moves. Honestly at no point this season did Rodney Thomas play well, was beaten often out of position constantly time and again yet Gus kept him at out there. 90th of 99 players essentially means he was at the back end of the 3rd Safety on every team yet it took until week 13 for him to start the switch over and the results were night and day. Last year Facyson 56.2 vs Rodgers at 82.1......not a trend we can afford to let happen again in 2024.

In 7 years name a corner Ballard drafted that could cover worth a darn.

I can name one. Roger's. Small with great speed. 

Now we have a 6'3" replacement that we just watched get horribly abused by a big receiver. 

Irsay accepts mediocrity. He has his band and money for toys.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

So, pay Pittman $20m, trade picks for Brown and pay him $20+m? I don't see Ballard doing that.

Browns cap hit is only 12.4m. this year and 24m in 2025.  Then it jumps up in 2026 where you can rework the deal if he works out.  He’s already played in Shane’s offense and was fantastic.  If Ballard is looking for explosive he’s the perfect match for Shane.  I can see Ballard trading that 15th pick.  He’s only 26.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

tag Pittman and decide if it’s worth keeping him. AJ Brown is the WR1 everyone on this forum should want… 

The tag is $22m so not really helping though.

I agree Brown is the kind of player we want, but we can't pay everyone and we have more needs than WR - even if WR is the biggest.

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

tag Pittman and decide if it’s worth keeping him. AJ Brown is the WR1 everyone on this forum should want… 

All in baby! Imagine if we didn't have to trade a first for him and could use that first for Bowers. Sure that's a lot of cap in WR but you would have Pittman, AJ Brown, Bowers, and Downs 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The tag is $22m so not really helping though.

I agree Brown is the kind of player we want, but we can't pay everyone and we have more needs than WR - even if WR is the biggest.

it is if we are looking for a year with them together for evaluation before a longterm deal…

Brown and Pittman together would be a dream with Downs in the slot and Pierce as the no4. However, I don't see Ballard trading a 1st round pick for Brown. Maybe a 2nd. He did it with Buckner, but that was almost 4 years ago. He doesn't do those trades often. 

Hopefully he surprises us and gets aggressive like he says. Trading for A.J. Brown would certainly qualify as an aggressive move.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

Brown and Pittman together would be a dream with Downs in the slot and Pierce as the no4. However, I don't see Ballard trading a 1st round pick for Brown. Maybe a 2nd. He did it with Buckner, but that was almost 4 years ago. He doesn't do those trades often. 

Hopefully he surprises us and gets aggressive like he says. Trading for A.J. Brown would certainly qualify as an aggressive move.

He said if they identify a game changer, then they will make it happen. He just said that last week… 

If Steichen says do it, then I think he’ll do it. AJ Brown would dramatically alter the offense. I doubt Ballard cares if his two biggest game changers were brought in by trading 1st round picks. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

AJ Brown is the WR1 everyone on this forum should want… 

Why would the Eagles trade AJ Brown? He's their best offensive player, he's just 27 years old, and his cap hit in 2024 is $12.4m. 

Trading him before June 1 would result in a $41m cap penalty in 2024. Trading him after June 1 would result in a $10m cap penalty in 2024, and a $31m cap penalty in 2025. And the 2024 cap hit for the new team would be less than $2m, so this would be a gift from the Eagles.

I think it's highly unlikely that the Eagles would want to trade him. So if there were anything to these 'rumors,' it would probably mean that there's something concerning going on behind the scenes with him. He's already displayed some diva tendencies. 

I agree that AJ Brown is the kind of talent the Colts need at WR. It's the other stuff that concerns me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why would the Eagles trade AJ Brown? He's their best offensive player, he's just 27 years old, and his cap hit in 2024 is $12.4m. 

Trading him before June 1 would result in a $41m cap penalty in 2024. Trading him after June 1 would result in a $10m cap penalty in 2024, and a $31m cap penalty in 2025. And the 2024 cap hit for the new team would be less than $2m, so this would be a gift from the Eagles.

I think it's highly unlikely that the Eagles would want to trade him. So if there were anything to these 'rumors,' it would probably mean that there's something concerning going on behind the scenes with him. He's already displayed some diva tendencies. 

I agree that AJ Brown is the kind of talent the Colts need at WR. It's the other stuff that concerns me.

I don't think they'll sit on him if he is willing to play hard ball and hold out. Especially if there is issues, but I doubt it's just with him. Eagles seem like they fell apart, and now that they are losing a leader in Jason Kelce, there's a lot of question marks. That o-line could be vastly different come training camp...

I don't disagree that there might be concerns with the personality... And Ballard's also spoke of the ability to add explosive players in this draft, so it might be a massive reach, even if he were available. But if Vegas is throwing odds out there that he's likely gone, then it's worth paying attention to.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I don't think they'll sit on him if he is willing to play hard ball and hold out. Especially if there is issues, but I doubt it's just with him. Eagles seem like they fell apart, and now that they are losing a leader in Jason Kelce, there's a lot of question marks. That o-line could be vastly different come training camp...

I don't disagree that there might be concerns with the personality... And Ballard's also spoke of the ability to add explosive players in this draft, so it might be a massive reach, even if he were available. But if Vegas is throwing odds out there that he's likely gone, then it's worth paying attention to.

If the Eagles are willing to eat that much cap space to trade their best offensive weapon, in his prime, it would say a lot about his personality, IMO.

I think some critical parts of that roster got old pretty quickly, and they need to reshape certain position groups, but a player like AJ Brown should be a foundational piece even if they're going to do a rebuild. So I don't think they'll trade him, but if they do, buyer beware.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

If the Eagles are willing to eat that much cap space to trade their best offensive weapon, in his prime, it would say a lot about his personality, IMO.

I think some critical parts of that roster got old pretty quickly, and they need to reshape certain position groups, but a player like AJ Brown should be a foundational piece. So I don't think they'll trade him, but if they do, buyer beware.

Don't disagree. 

I think it's maybe more likely that there is dysfunction at the team level and changes there could be made before Brown is dealt. 

I read an interesting bit earlier that said the exit interview from Jason Kelce, and a discussion with AJ Brown could be the pieces that start a shakeup in the organization. It's certainly something to watch moving forward. 

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yeah.  The Eagles are a team in turmoil right now.  A lot went wrong and it probably went South after the loss of Steichen and Gannon set in.  Brown had career highs playing in Shane’s system two years ago.  In 2022 the Eagles gave up pick 18 and 101 for Brown.  Two years later giving up our 15th pick seems in the cards if we are interested in trading for him.  If he really is unhappy and wants to leave reuniting with Shane would probably be high on his wish list.  If Steichen vouches for him I think Ballard would do it.  Let’s face it Ballard is under pressure to get the team into the playoffs.  Brown could be the added explosive difference maker he is looking for.  Even considering personality concerns I think he would do it.  I mean how much time does he really have?  Probably two years.  I think he would do it if he had the chance.

I leave for a couple of hours and folks have "Pipe Dreams" (name of my daughter's Marching Band performance) about trading and getting A J Brown. Getting Pittman re-signed is number 1 priority. A J Brown is just that, given Ballard's history, a pipe dream.

I do think we can get valuable contributors barely hitting 30 that would help.

Tyler Lockett and Quandre Diggs may have played their final game with the Seahawks, at 30 and 31 years old respectively. I do think both of them have a good couple of years to offer and I think Ballard can improve the WR depth and the safety depth with veteran presences after re-signing Pittman by signing one or both of them to team friendly 2 year deals while also drafting a WR that can play outside, from the draft. However, it is likely Lockett contributes more than Diggs. These are moves that I can see Ballard doing that would be somewhere in the middle between swinging for a big free agent versus standing pat. 

I looked up Tyler Lockett's contract and if the Seahawks want to rebuild, they might be fine sending his contract which I felt was reasonable our way for a 4th rounder, I feel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

All in baby! Imagine if we didn't have to trade a first for him and could use that first for Bowers. Sure that's a lot of cap in WR but you would have Pittman, AJ Brown, Bowers, and Downs 

The Eagles aren’t going to trade him just because the Colts want him.

35 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Eagles aren’t going to trade him just because the Colts want him.

Oh you are probably correct in that. And just as the pipe dream comment above, isn't that the whole point in coming online and talking about Colts football and what we would love to happen? If not, then I guess I shouldn't even log off of work and just grind 16 hours and then go to bed. I will say though, I also had no idea that they would have traded for Buckner either...

2 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

Oh you are probably correct in that. And just as the pipe dream comment above, isn't that the whole point in coming online and talking about Colts football and what we would love to happen? If not, then I guess I shouldn't even log off of work and just grind 16 hours and then go to bed. I will say though, I also had no idea that they would have traded for Buckner either...

Pipe dreams are fine but the situation with Buckner was different.  He was due a contract the 49ers didn’t have money to pay.  That’s not the case with Brown.  In fact it would cost them a lot to give him up from a cap standpoint.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Pipe dreams are fine but the situation with Buckner was different.  He was due a contract the 49ers didn’t have money to pay.  That’s not the case with Brown.  In fact it would cost them a lot to give him up from a cap standpoint.

I'm not in a disagreement that the Buckner situation is different than AJ Brown. But from a salary standpoint, if I remember correctly, Buckner still had 1 more year left before he was going to need a new mega contract. And in AJ Browns case, he also has 1 year of reasonable cap number. The next 2 years after though are like $26M and $41M. So yes, they are different, but it's not like if the Eagles wanted to do a simple reset with some draft picks and future salary cap management, that it would be some crazy idea 

1 hour ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

I'm not in a disagreement that the Buckner situation is different than AJ Brown. But from a salary standpoint, if I remember correctly, Buckner still had 1 more year left before he was going to need a new mega contract. And in AJ Browns case, he also has 1 year of reasonable cap number. The next 2 years after though are like $26M and $41M. So yes, they are different, but it's not like if the Eagles wanted to do a simple reset with some draft picks and future salary cap management, that it would be some crazy idea 

The big difference is Buckner’s contract was ending and they were going to lose him for nothing so that’s why they were willing to trade him and they didn’t take a major cap hit to do so because his contract was ending.  Brown’s isn’t.  So they would have to take a major cap hit to deal him because as you pointed out he still has the big number on his contract.  That’s not trade friendly and that’s assuming they are even willing to trade him to start with.

Guys, all this talk about A.J. Brown just reminds me that we sadly didn’t have the option to draft my personal #1 and #2 WRs in the 2019 draft, A.J. and D.K. with our first two picks, at a time when our team desperately needed young WRs. It’s just so sad that wasn’t an option… 

Seriously though, Ballard has to stop missing the obvious weapons he passes up on in the draft.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Guys, all this talk about A.J. Brown just reminds me that we sadly didn’t have the option to draft my personal #1 and #2 WRs in the 2019 draft, A.J. and D.K. with our first two picks, at a time when our team desperately needed young WRs. It’s just so sad that wasn’t an option… 

Seriously though, Ballard has to stop missing the obvious weapons he passes up on in the draft.

I think people tend to be overly critical with the hindsight draft stuff, but yeah, AJ Brown was my favorite WR prospect in 2019. I'm not a DK guy, I get what people like, but he's a one note guy. 

We took Rock Ya-Sin with our first pick, and Parris Campbell with our next pick. Campbell I think could have been really good if healthy, but still, Brown was the guy IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

In 7 years name a corner Ballard drafted that could cover worth a darn.

I can name one. Roger's. Small with great speed. 

Now we have a 6'3" replacement that we just watched get horribly abused by a big receiver. 

Irsay accepts mediocrity. He has his band and money for toys.

ballard has a habit of keeping his draft busts as starters on the team far too long

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think people tend to be overly critical with the hindsight draft stuff, but yeah, AJ Brown was my favorite WR prospect in 2019. I'm not a DK guy, I get what people like, but he's a one note guy. 

We took Rock Ya-Sin with our first pick, and Parris Campbell with our next pick. Campbell I think could have been really good if healthy, but still, Brown was the guy IMO.

Should have took McLaurin instead of campbell

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Should have took McLaurin instead of campbell

The Colts took Campbell because Frank fell in love with Campbell at the Combine.   Ballard tried to give Frank the player he wanted.   

McLaurin went in the 3rd round about 15-20 picks later.   

Everything is obvious with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts took Campbell because Frank fell in love with Campbell at the Combine.   Ballard tried to give Frank the player he wanted.   

McLaurin went in the 3rd round about 15-20 picks later.   

Everything is obvious with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. 

This is my first time hearing this story. I know in the past Ballard said Frank was shouting in excitement when they drafted Campbell, but I didnt know he was the driving force behind that pick.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

ballard has a habit of keeping his draft busts as starters on the team far too long

A concerning thing about Ballard is, in watching With the Next Pick and listening to him, many of his favorite players, the ones he personally seems highest on, turn out to be busts or underachievers.  If Ballard pumps up a guy, I start to get worried.

14 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If Steichen says do it, then I think he’ll do it.

I'm not commenting on Brown specifically, as I don't see it happening, but Ballard absolutely needs someone to push him.  Irsay tried to push him with Wentz and whatnot, but judging by how it all went off the rails in 2022, Irsay was the wrong man for the job.  Hopefully, Steichen is the right man for the job and can get Ballard to wake up.  It's year 8 - one playoff appearance in 5 years, no division titles in 9 years.  No more delayed gratification.  No more turning over an entire area of the team to rookies and inexperienced players.  As PFF puts it, no more "whack a mole" every year with the roster.

Exactly right and then he compounds the problem by talking a player up while he stinks on the field. Ballard loved Cross (traded up) and he was given the starting job and we all saw what happened. I remember early in the year when he was praising one of our DB's, (Think he got suspended) and the guy was terrible. This is why it is so important that Steichen have say in personnel matters because Ballard is wrong way too much and then were stuck playing guys that have no business being on the field. Our top positions of need are positions Ballard has busted on and in many cases busted on several times with high picks..... Edge for example.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

This is my first time hearing this story. I know in the past Ballard said Frank was shouting in excitement when they drafted Campbell, but I didnt know he was the driving force behind that pick.

Thanks

IIRC, that was the spring when Ballard also signed Funchess to a one year deal to play big body X opposite TY, and slot was the bigger need at the time of the draft.  That put the focus on a slot candidate like PC over outside WR candidates like Brown (and Lockett or Deebo?).  And Metcalf was a one-note player that did the same thing TY did, so he didn't really advance the versatility of the talent pool.. 

The alignment of skills and needs pointed to a slot WR, and PC was probably the #1 slot receiver on the board at 59 if not the entire second round.  So if the strategy was a short term fix of a need to make a playoff window, the PC pick makes sense

But some here, including me, wanted a more long term solution opposite TY, so we advocated for Brown (and was it Lockett? or Deebo?).  Ballard needed to pick what direction the team should go and apparently sided with his HC who...because he's a HC...usually has a win now attitude.  JMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1