Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good story on Anthony Richardson desire to win and his mental makeup

22 hours ago, Myles said:

Where would you put your money?

AR missing 0 games

AR missing 1-3 games

AR missing 4 or more games.

I will say 1-3. Because of the fact, fluke injuries happen + Concussions. There is a good chance he misses 2 or 3 games. You can say that about any QB though. Stroud missed 2 games this season because of a concussion for example.

24 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

There’s a highlight of AR in college when he has a TD easily so he somersaults into the end zone. He got lit up this year when he slowed down before scoring a TD for some reason. These are things NFL quarterbacks can’t do. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a high level D1 QB somersault into the end zone. I would guess the team has discussed this kind of thing w him and he seems coachable so he’ll probably stop. 

I think Richardson acknowledged that he can't pull up on plays like that. It was definitely an unnecessary hit by the defender, but Richardson needs to know to finish the play. I think he knows it now.

As for flipping into the end zone, I have no problem with that, especially after you've just mopped the floor with the entire defense.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Richardson acknowledged that he can't pull up on plays like that. It was definitely an unnecessary hit by the defender, but Richardson needs to know to finish the play. I think he knows it now.

As for flipping into the end zone, I have no problem with that, especially after you've just mopped the floor with the entire defense.

It was a heck of a run. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will say 1-3. Because of the fact, fluke injuries happen + Concussions. There is a good chance he misses 2 or 3 games. You can say that about any QB though. Stroud missed 2 games this season because of a concussion for example.

It's tough to decide between 1-3 and 4+.  2023 was 4+ so there is something to go on but hopefully he has learned to stay out of potential situations.

Just be careful out there kid.  Live to play another snap.  Those defenders are grown men making a fraction of what you will make over your career so know they will take you out.  They won't say that.  Isn't nice and all that.  But they'll take you out.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 4:43 PM, jvan1973 said:

He puts himself in dangerous situations even when he  wasn't injured.   It's not a false narrative.   It happened 

All QBs put themselves in dangerous situations the second the ball is snapped. Ask Joe Theissman after LT hit him. AR has a big advantage in size but Luck was no poodle and neither was Roethlisberger. So if it happens it happens. I just hope it is not a concern with AR.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 9:38 AM, ColtStrong2013 said:

The thought that keeps coming to my mind is this: 

How much more could we have gotten out of Shane Steichen the coach if he wasn’t juggling between coaching a team fighting for the playoffs and coaching up the 4th pick overall that is sidelined with injury? 

I’ve seen throughout the year people say AR is soaking up information. Always with an iPad. Always next to coach asking questions. That is a difficult situation for a rookie head coach. Coach for this year, but also prepping for the coming years by getting an injured qb up to speed. Meeting individually with him often. Maybe that is just Shane, but I can’t imagine when AR is healthy, he is spending much time with other quarterbacks… 

Hopefully, with a healthy AR5 in '24, a Steinchen team will have a better prepared team down the stretch as they lost 3 out of the last 5 games and seemed out coached in a couple of those. And on future 4th and 1 with the season on the line both JT and a healthy AR5 will be in the game. haha

There were a lot of starting QBs that missed lots of playing time, most that I ever remember. So I think its silly to think AR5 is injury proned. All running and mobile QBs are of course more susceptible to injury than pocket passers but they get injured too. 

I think AR5 is the real deal and I expect or at least think he has a legitimate chance of being another Josh Allen, who I think is  arguably the best QB in the league. 

Numerous factors of course are involved, not just physical talent and having it upstairs.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 1:36 PM, Myles said:

Where would you put your money?

AR missing 0 games

AR missing 1-3 games

AR missing 4 or more games.

If he misses more than 3 games than I think we still have to cite durability as a concern.  What happened to the days when we could rely on a QB to play a full season?  Peyton really spoiled us. 

5 hours ago, King Colt said:

All QBs put themselves in dangerous situations the second the ball is snapped. Ask Joe Theissman after LT hit him. AR has a big advantage in size but Luck was no poodle and neither was Roethlisberger. So if it happens it happens. I just hope it is not a concern with AR.

Sometimes scheme puts them in dangerous situations too.  As does an inability to grasp scheme, where there will be increased reliance on schemed runs to help move the chains.  But those types of things can also shorten that young QB's season.

Hopefully this next season AR has a full grasp of the playbook and can run the offense well enough to where they don't need those schemed runs.  Also having a good defense helps that.  But I'd like to see him show transition into being a QB who can be relied upon in the pocket and thus protected.

8 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Sometimes scheme puts them in dangerous situations too.  As does an inability to grasp scheme, where there will be increased reliance on schemed runs to help move the chains.  But those types of things can also shorten that young QB's season.

Hopefully this next season AR has a full grasp of the playbook and can run the offense well enough to where they don't need those schemed runs.  Also having a good defense helps that.  But I'd like to see him show transition into being a QB who can be relied upon in the pocket and thus protected.

If you think they are taking out the schemed runs you’re going to be shocked.  They didn’t draft him at 4 to take those away.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If you think they are taking out the schemed runs you’re going to be shocked.  They didn’t draft him at 4 to take those away.

I did not say I thought they would be taken out.  Rather that I hope he can quickly advance as a QB to where they are not required.

Doing that occasionally is fine.  But when you require them to move the chains that's when you're on borrowed time at this level.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Luckily,  you don't need to be

You're right i don't.  The Colts staff does. Currently, he's only shown he's mid at best.  Both in his pro career and his college career... both of which were pretty short lived, 28 total games in college and pro.  That's really just 2 college seasons.  So we drafted a sophmore/junior as our "franchise" qb.

Really high hopes here. 

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

I did not say I thought they would be taken out.  Rather that I hope he can quickly advance as a QB to where they are not required.

Doing that occasionally is fine.  But when you require them to move the chains that's when you're on borrowed time at this level.

I would say the hopes the Colts have for AR is that he someday turns into Lamar Jackson.   Primarily a passer, but his running ability can be devastating.  Honestly, I believe that’s who AR compared to.  

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would say the hopes the Colts have for AR is that he someday turns into Lamar Jackson.   Primarily a passer, but his running ability can be devastating.  Honestly, I believe that’s who AR compared to.  

AR is not as twitchy as Lamar. He's more Josh Allen or as AR himself has called himself...Cam Jackson.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

AR is not as twitchy as Lamar. He's more Josh Allen or as AR himself has called himself...Cam Jackson.

I think that’s a great post.   Really.  

And I think you’ve made a great argument as you combine the best of Cam (Size) with the best of Lamar (Athletic ability) to become the ultimate QB weapon.  

Appreciate your perspective.    :thmup:

9 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Yeah I ageee with that. You still have to be able to pass from pocket even when you’re an athletic freak. Richardson even said before playing a game that he knows he has to become a great passer to have longevity.

At this point I’m just not confident that AR is the answer at qb. We haven’t seen enough. I’m a pocket passer fan and I’m not sure he can be a good pocket passer. I hope he can. It couldn’t hurt to get him a couple more weapons though.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 5:36 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Holder did a really good story here. Gives us a good insite on the mental makeup and his desire to win and how the injury really had him in a dark place.

This is all cute and fuzzy but seeing interviews and seeing him on the field,  I dont question either. It is can he stay healthy? He does that and the skies the limit.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 2:40 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Bills QB is a better comp for him.  But Jackson is appropriate too.  And neither of those QBs have won titles in spite of having fantastic rosters around them.  This roster was good enough for Jackson to get it done and he came up short because of his limitations from the pocket.

So.  If I'm the guy running this offense or QB room my coaching for AR is focused around building him as much as possible to win from the pocket.  It will maximize his shelf life at this level.  And it will increase his odds of winning a title.

Lining him up out there and running him into defensive fronts might maximize your wins initially as coach.  But it will limit your ability to win big games with him because come the playoffs you will face defenses that take away the runs and you lose.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

Bills QB is a better comp for him.  But Jackson is appropriate too.  And neither of those QBs have won titles in spite of having fantastic rosters around them.  This roster was good enough for Jackson to get it done and he came up short because of his limitations from the pocket.

So.  If I'm the guy running this offense or QB room my coaching for AR is focused around building him as much as possible to win from the pocket.  It will maximize his shelf life at this level.  And it will increase his odds of winning a title.

Lining him up out there and running him into defensive fronts might maximize your wins initially as coach.  But it will limit your ability to win big games with him because come the playoffs you will face defenses that take away the runs and you lose.

Bills and Ravens  issues are the chiefs. It’s like Brady and manning. We will see if they can get over the hump. Bills also need to add more offensive talent to that roster at WR. Diggs is all they have. They are on the right track hiring Brady now as OC as they are much more balanced. Bills also had a ton of injuries on defense this year.

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Bills and Ravens  issues are the chiefs. It’s like Brady and manning. We will see if they can get over the hump. Bills also need to add more offensive talent to that roster at WR. Diggs is all they have. They are on the right track hiring Brady now as OC as they are much more balanced. Bills also had a ton of injuries on defense this year.

The Bills fans , like any other fanbase, have used the following excuses for big losses:

Too rainy

Too windy

Too hot

Too many injuries

The refs

The rules

Time zone change

Stress from Damar incident......

I'm sure I've left out several more more 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Honestly….   I said Lamar, another poster said Cam Newton, and you’re saying Josh Allen.   I think they’re all very good and fair.   If someone else wants to say a mixture of all three, that’s fine too.   Three very good examples.   All very dynamic. 

18 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yes and there is always that team in any era who will shut down your run game in the playoffs (this one being the Chiefs who just did that to Lamar) and force your QB to win with his arm.  So I don't think Brady is a bad addition for them or anything but coaching aside as it pertains to either the Bills or the Ravens what will determine whether they can get over that hump is individual development in speed of reads and dealing the ball from the pocket when they are contained and/or their run game is taken away.

Way I see it the staff owes it to AR to expedite this area of his growth as quickly as possible.  His rookie season lasted four weeks.  Maybe we can get him through the season this time around by parking his oversized and talented posterior in the pocket and having him learn to win there.  That would be the best gift this staff could give him.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 1:04 PM, Boondoggle said:

Yes and there is always that team in any era who will shut down your run game in the playoffs (this one being the Chiefs who just did that to Lamar) and force your QB to win with his arm.  So I don't think Brady is a bad addition for them or anything but coaching aside as it pertains to either the Bills or the Ravens what will determine whether they can get over that hump is individual development in speed of reads and dealing the ball from the pocket when they are contained and/or their run game is taken away.

Way I see it the staff owes it to AR to expedite this area of his growth as quickly as possible.  His rookie season lasted four weeks.  Maybe we can get him through the season this time around by parking his oversized and talented posterior in the pocket and having him learn to win there.  That would be the best gift this staff could give him.

That means drafting  oline and wr early

• Like 1

One thing that AR has going for him is a good young coach with nice young pieces to help build around him. Can’t really say that with top 4 picks a lot. Look at Bryce Young for example. Hopefully he puts in the work this offseason and we continue to add more pieces around him. Really optimistic about this team moving forward.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 11:40 AM, jvan1973 said:

This??

I’ve said it many times but AR reminds me of a faster version of Steve McNair. This video shows how strong he is. The defenders just bounce off of him like a grown man playing football with little kids.  I think next year will be a learning year but year 3 he will set the nfl on fire. 

5 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I’ve said it many times but AR reminds me of a faster version of Steve McNair. This video shows how strong he is. The defenders just bounce off of him like a grown man playing football with little kids.  I think next year will be a learning year but year 3 he will set the nfl on fire. 

That's some of the worst tackling you will ever see though. They almost sort of push him toward the EZ too.

In college, AR was able to run over or run away from most players. That's not the case in the NFL. And he even said he didn't realize he wasn't ready for that leap. Got him hurt twice too. This season is going to be very telling. I expect to hear about how he's in the best shape of his life and that's he added back muscle, etc.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 12:05 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

I agree. My point was that we haven’t even seen a truly focused Steichen yet.

Yet this analytic shows the great job Steichen did. Imagine how well he will do with Richardson healthy!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Yet this analytic shows the great job Steichen did. Imagining how well he will do with Richardson healthy!

im not disputing that- I think he did an incredible job. I think we’ve only seen a baseline of what he’s capable of. His playbook will be fine tuned and open up more and more as Richardson progresses/stays healthy. If they can be successful in putting the talent he wants around AR, then that baseline just keeps rising.

throughout the season, I would watch highlights from the all-22 shots, and it was remarkable to envision AR and JT in the backfield, instead of minshew and Moss. The strain that was being put on defenses with those guys was already obvious at times- I couldn’t even picture adding the 5/28 dynamic back there. An absolute nightmare for defenses. 

I was essentially stating that he wasn’t even entirely focused on the season at hand, because of the injury. He was coaching his future qb on the sideline. That’s not 100% locked in on what is on the field. Not by any stretch. The best is yet to come.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...