Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Good story on Anthony Richardson desire to win and his mental makeup

The thought that keeps coming to my mind is this: 

How much more could we have gotten out of Shane Steichen the coach if he wasn’t juggling between coaching a team fighting for the playoffs and coaching up the 4th pick overall that is sidelined with injury? 

I’ve seen throughout the year people say AR is soaking up information. Always with an iPad. Always next to coach asking questions. That is a difficult situation for a rookie head coach. Coach for this year, but also prepping for the coming years by getting an injured qb up to speed. Meeting individually with him often. Maybe that is just Shane, but I can’t imagine when AR is healthy, he is spending much time with other quarterbacks… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The thought that keeps coming to my mind is this: 

How much more could we have gotten out of Shane Steichen the coach if he wasn’t juggling between coaching a team fighting for the playoffs and coaching up the 4th pick overall that is sidelined with injury? 

I’ve seen throughout the year people say AR is soaking up information. Always with an iPad. Always next to coach asking questions. That is a difficult situation for a rookie head coach. Coach for this year, but also prepping for the coming years by getting an injured qb up to speed. Meeting individually with him often. Maybe that is just Shane, but I can’t imagine when AR is healthy, he is spending much time with other quarterbacks… 

I don’t know, but I vastly prefer him spending time coaching up our future franchise QB instead of trying to get us to eke into the playoffs to be one and done. 

I think he’s spending time with him to prepare him so we hopefully can hit the ground running come september. I doubt he spends anywhere near this amount of time with a backup QB. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t know, but I vastly prefer him spending time coaching up our future franchise QB instead of trying to get us to eke into the playoffs to be one and done. 

I think he’s spending time with him to prepare him so we hopefully can hit the ground running come september. I doubt he spends anywhere near this amount of time with a backup QB. 

I agree. My point was that we haven’t even seen a truly focused Steichen yet. 

• Like 1

Good article and thanks for posting.

I would also encourage anyone who hasn’t yet to watch Season 4 of QB1: Beyond the Lights on Tubi (which is a free streaming service) as he is one of QBs being followed for his senior year in HS (Bryce Young is one of the others). It gives a really good look into his background, family etc.

I have no doubts about his work ethic, determination, mental makeup, skill level to make it at the NFL level.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SR711 said:

Good article and thanks for posting.

I would also encourage anyone who hasn’t yet to watch Season 4 of QB1: Beyond the Lights on Tubi (which is a free streaming service) as he is one of QBs being followed for his senior year in HS (Bryce Young is one of the others). It gives a really good look into his background, family etc.

I have no doubts about his work ethic, determination, mental makeup, skill level to make it at the NFL level.

Agreed on that last sentence.  What’s still a question mark is his ability to stay on the field.  

While watching the Bills and Allen I kept thinking “AR can do that”.  Just slide more, lol!

• Like 1

No question AR is a true competitor. But, what concerns me (as l watched him in college) is will his will to win continue to put his body in jeopardy. This has been evident since high school ball.

Even in his senior yr at Fla, he made it through the season but was hobbled. He could barely jog against FSU.

That said, l wish him a healthy NFL career here. But his history of injuries will have me on edge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jemack said:

No question AR is a true competitor. But, what concerns me (as l watched him in college) is will his will to win continue to put his body in jeopardy. This has been evident since high school ball.

Even in his senior yr at Fla, he made it through the season but was hobbled. He could barely jog against FSU.

That said, l wish him a healthy NFL career here. But his history of injuries will have me on edge.

Exactly.  Thats why I said a case could be made for drafting a QB again this year.  I know they won’t.  But it would be justified for the future state of the franchise.  

If he can take a page from Mahomes, it would be better than taking one from Allen.  Both do a great job of running, but Allen hardly makes attempts to avoid contact.  He’s one tough dude.  But that will catch up to him eventually.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jemack said:

You can say that all you want but it doesn’t make it true. He does not play reckless. Not even close to Josh Allen. The one play he could have probably  avoided was the concussion. The shoulder did not come as a result of playing reckless.

• Like 1

So, when some bring up finding a replacement for Minshew, it doesn't make sense. If a season can be salvaged should AR go down, a (capable) QB who has already played in the system would be the best choice. And that's Minshew.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You can say that all you want but it doesn’t make it true. He does not play reckless. Not even close to Josh Allen. The one play he could have probably  avoided was the concussion. The shoulder did not come as a result of playing reckless.

I did not say he plays recklessly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Neither one of those injuries indicates that he is injury prone. The concussion was his head bouncing off artificial turf and the shoulder injury was just an unfortunate tackle. I would think just about any player would have come out of that with a shoulder that needed repair.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jemack said:

So, when some bring up finding a replacement for Minshew, it doesn't make sense. If a season can be salvaged should AR go down, a (capable) QB who has already played in the system would be the best choice. And that's Minshew.

I agree.   I hope GM is back next year

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He put himself in dangerous situations last year.   Hopefully he learns to protect himself better.   

• Like 4

What we need to takeaway was Ballard's latest assessment of Anthony Richarson as a "passer" and not just a running Lamar Jackson. Today Lamar is a passer and he is lethal throughout this season. What nobody mentions is that being a passer is not enough. You have to have the cerebral quickness and intuition in reading an ever changing defense from pre to post snap. Let this past season help AR develop that aspect of the game. He has the humility, perseverance and thirst for knowledge. With Steichen's tutelage he is going to be one of the great's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No hr didn’t. The play he hurt his shoulder was a designed run. He was actually almost down  when Landry landed on him. This is such a false narrative. 

He puts himself in dangerous situations even when he  wasn't injured.   It's not a false narrative.   It happened 

• Like 4

I don’t think AR played recklessly at all and am obviously hoping this year proves to be an anamoly as on paper there’s no doubt he’s built for this.

I just hope that we don’t find out his body is not made for this level of impact.  A man’s body doesn’t fully mature until their mid 20’s so technically he’s not physically fully mature yet. But some people are just not built for contact sports at the highest levels.  

MMA is a great example of this.  Where you have guys matched up at the same weight and therefore roughly same size.  The guys that dominate and can take damage without crumbling have a certain body make up that not all of us have. 

I don’t necessarily think this is the case YET.  But one more year like this one would make me think otherwise. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He puts himself in dangerous situations even when he  wasn't injured.   It's not a false narrative.   It happened 

I’m not sure getting injured in itself is an indication of reckless play.  Most of what he was doing was routine type plays that 10 other quarterbacks in the league run without issue.  What is concerning is he seemed to not be able to take routine hits without getting banged up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

I’m not sure getting injured in itself is an indication of reckless play.  Most of what he was doing was routine type plays that 10 other quarterbacks in the league run without issue.  What is concerning is he seemed to not be able to take routine hits without getting banged up.

That is not true. The tackle by Landry was not a routine hit . The concussion was a result of him not protecting himself and the bang his head took off the astro turf was not "routine."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

That is not true. The tackle by Landry was not a routine hit . The concussion was a result of him not protecting himself and the bang his head took off the astro turf was not "routine."

Oh come on you mean to tell me you’ve never seen a D Tackle land on a QB attempting to scramble out of the pocket?  Stroud got his head slammed off of the turf also this year trying to scramble.  Stop it.

1 hour ago, ArmchairQB said:

Oh come on you mean to tell me you’ve never seen a D Tackle land on a QB attempting to scramble out of the pocket?  Stroud got his head slammed off of the turf also this year trying to scramble.  Stop it.

His shoulder took the impact of the hit . Laughable that you would call that a "routine" hit. What is your point with Stroud's concussion ? Not following your logic ... but could be there is none here ?

I think it’s laughable that you see a player getting tackled and landing on their shoulder as not routine. Because we can consider all day long how durable AR is.  But these plays that you want to call “reckless” happen all of the time.  Reckless would be more what we have seen out of Levis in Tennessee or Allen.  Intentionally trying to run over LB’s, or going airborne to gain the first down with closing defenders.  

None of his injuries were that.  I challenge you to find a play of his that you haven’t seen run 100 times before by someone else without injury.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

I just hope that we don’t find out his body is not made for this level of impact.  A man’s body doesn’t fully mature until their mid 20’s so technically he’s not physically fully mature yet. But some people are just not built for contact sports at the highest levels.  

I get the concern. It's just not something that can be predicted for the most part. If a college player misses a bunch of games with injury, that's a good indication that he won't hold up in the NFL. That wasn't the case with Richardson. If it turns out that he can't hold up in the NFL, it will be sad and unfortunate, but there's nothing anyone can do about that. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

Stroud missed two games because of it. Not sure what your point is.

The point was that scrambling out of the pocket and getting hit is routine.  Other QB’s do it and get injured as well.  

8 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

The point was that scrambling out of the pocket and getting hit is routine.  Other QB’s do it and get injured as well.  

I guess the push back is that you said other QBs do this without issue, and then you offered an example of a different QB who also missed time with a concussion. Maybe your point was the opposite of what I thought it was... 

Reading your other posts, I think we mostly agree. Part of playing QB is getting tackled, and either he can handle it or he can't. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

I guess the push back is that you said other QBs do this without issue, and then you offered an example of a different QB who also missed time with a concussion. Maybe your point was the opposite of what I thought it was... 

Reading your other posts, I think we mostly agree. Part of playing QB is getting tackled, and either he can handle it or he can't. 

Going back and reading I probably could have been more clear your right.  But we agree yes 

22 hours ago, dw49 said:

Neither one of those injuries indicates that he is injury prone. The concussion was his head bouncing off artificial turf and the shoulder injury was just an unfortunate tackle. I would think just about any player would have come out of that with a shoulder that needed repair.

AR came out of that with a shoulder that needed to be repaired because he had already torn his AC joint in HS, right?

I wouldn't call him injury-prone, but injuries are still a concern. AR doesn't have a huge sample of games played in his lifetime and has had some injuries. And his game is based on physicality.

The hope regarding his shoulder is that it repaired it for good and there won't be any additional issues. But that's only part of the concern IMO.

42 minutes ago, Myles said:

Where would you put your money?

AR missing 0 games

AR missing 1-3 games

AR missing 4 or more games.

1-3, but I'd say that of most QBs.

I think the days of QBs playing 200 straight games like Favre are behind us and not because QBs are soft now. There's just much more focus on player health now than 20 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

1-3, but I'd say that of most QBs.

I think the days of QBs playing 200 straight games like Favre are behind us and not because QBs are soft now. There's just much more focus on player health now than 20 years ago.

I'd probably put my money on 4+ games missed but would consider 1-3.  I do notice that the 4 teams remaining in the playoffs did not have this problem.  I hope AR doesn't continue to be sidelined in 2024.   He has great potential.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'd probably put my money on 4+ games missed but would consider 1-3.  I do notice that the 4 teams remaining in the playoffs did not have this problem.  I hope AR doesn't continue to be sidelined in 2024.   He has great potential.

Lamar missed a game, but he also missed 5 games in each of the previous two seasons. Brock Purdy was healthy all year, but he got hurt in the playoffs last year.

I think this was one of the most brutal years ever for QB injuries. QBs get hurt. It's part of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

Lamar missed a game, but he also missed 5 games in each of the previous two seasons. Brock Purdy was healthy all year, but he got hurt in the playoffs last year.

I think this was one of the most brutal years ever for QB injuries. QBs get hurt. It's part of the game.

Teams just have to hope and teach ways to avoid such injuries.  Currently AR is worrisome but he may put that to rest next season.

18 hours ago, Myles said:

Where would you put your money?

AR missing 0 games

AR missing 1-3 games

AR missing 4 or more games.

Good question…I would say 1-3

Ultimately, I think the answer depends on how much read option, designed QB runs are part of the weekly game plan and how quickly AR develops his field vision, instincts and timing on when to slide, how to brace for a hit, run out of bounds, etc when he does use his legs.

• Like 1

There’s a highlight of AR in college when he has a TD easily so he somersaults into the end zone. He got lit up this year when he slowed down before scoring a TD for some reason. These are things NFL quarterbacks can’t do. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a high level D1 QB somersault into the end zone. I would guess the team has discussed this kind of thing w him and he seems coachable so he’ll probably stop. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

There’s a highlight of AR in college when he has a TD easily so he somersaults into the end zone. He got lit up this year when he slowed down before scoring a TD for some reason. These are things NFL quarterbacks can’t do. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a high level D1 QB somersault into the end zone. I would guess the team has discussed this kind of thing w him and he seems coachable so he’ll probably stop. 

This??