Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next year OL

hoosierhawk

Have a gut feeling we will need to be replacing both Kelly and Smith next year. Hope not but seems Kelly for sure and Smith has been very non-productive this year for what we are paying him. Freeland has been disappointing the last few games. We just can't seem to keep guys healthy.

Kelly recently told Chap he plans to keep playing as long as he can and doesn’t sound like he planning on retiring and after Chap tweeted it out went back to clarify he doesn’t think Kelly is retiring.  Smith’s injuries have not been serious by NFL standards.  I doubt he retires or the Colts let him go.  Freeland looks weak which is normal for a rookie tackle.  Give him an off-season of training.  I am more concerned about depth in the middle of the line.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Kelly recently told Chap he plans to keep playing as long as he can and doesn’t sound like he planning on retiring and after Chap tweeted it out went back to clarify he doesn’t think Kelly is retiring.  Smith’s injuries have not been serious by NFL standards.  I doubt he retires or the Colts let him go.  Freeland looks weak which is normal for a rookie tackle.  Give him an off-season of training.  I am more concerned about depth in the middle of the line.  

I agree. I think Freeland could be quite viable after an NFL offseason to work on his body. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The question with Smith is his cost per game.  And if his play is that much better than Freeland's, who's dirt cheap.

If they need the cap space to pay MPJ and a few others, I can see them letting him go.  I haven't looked to see if that saves them much, so I could be wrong.

I hope you're right about Kelly.  I don't think he's appreciated as much as he should be (IMHO).

• Like 1

We're just gonna get rid of (2) top 10 graded OL after this year? Doubt that happens.

Smith 80.8(7/83)

Kelly 78.8(6/38)(#1 good chunk of season)

Both have missed a few games Kelly(3), Smith(5, so for), but that isn't going to get them released playing at the level they've been playing at.

I must admit I am a little worried about this latest injury to Smith, bringing in Veldheer that quick has me wondering.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

The question with Smith is his cost per game.  And if his play is that much better than Freeland's, who's dirt cheap.

If they need the cap space to pay MPJ and a few others, I can see them letting him go.  I haven't looked to see if that saves them much, so I could be wrong.

I hope you're right about Kelly.  I don't think he's appreciated as much as he should be (IMHO).

FWIW:   

Smith is grading out at nearly 81, which is extremely high.   Not elite, but just below. 

Freeland has been grading out at about 53,  which is not terrible for a rookie.   Also, Freeland was never going to be as good a rookie as Raimann was.   They are not the same level as rookie players.   Raimann was more highly regarded.

If Kelly and Smith return next year, I think that’s great for the Colts.  But I think this has been a crazy enough year that nothing would surprise me.  I think anything is possible. 

• Like 1

Hope you're right about Kelly. He makes a difference when he is out there but I know he has a slew of concussions and they brought home the twins which they were soo happy to have. 

Smith is good when out there but as the saying goes, "The best ability is availability." Hope they are both back at full strength.

Not worried at all.  I thought there was a chance Kelly might retire but if he says he’s coming back that’s great.  Smith is a stud hands down.  It’s a long season.  Injuries happen.  Not worried at this time.  I’m hoping Veldheer really works out and he comes back next year.  It would be great to have him as a veteran swing tackle that can play either side.  He won’t cost a fortune and his versatility and experience would be a great asset for the OL. 

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Smith isn't going anywhere unless he retires

12 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

If anything I think they will work out an extension with Kelly bc he is set to count 14m against the cap next year. 

I would draft a better back up tackle  a d add another back up center that can play guard in a pinch for depth

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I would draft a better back up tackle  a d add another back up center that can play guard in a pinch for depth

I’m totally on board with 2nd and 3rd day OL picks. Keep bringing in more bodies until you find a cheap replacement for your highly paid starter.  Rinse and repeat. 

1 hour ago, Creekside said:

My eyes tell me that the middle of the line starters; Nelson, Kelly, and Fries are decent in pass pro but poor in run blocking.

I see the same. Q is not knocking guys off the line as in his first few years. Kelly and Fries are technicians and pretty good at it. 

I find it interesting that Philly has 4 Big superb o-lineman and are having trouble running the ball. Freaky considering their receiving corp and Hurts.

We have a great asset in Steichen to figure out our direction. lol

The Colts have plenty of cap room. If they need to clear a little space they can move on from Mo.  Kelly has had a nice bounce back year but as a player I think he’s more replaceable than Smith.  I see both coming back next season and the Colts adding bodies through the draft. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 12:44 AM, indyagent17 said:

I don’t feel Freeland will ever be a starting caliber OT. Smith has been good but I would to see him get better in pass coverage. LT looks solid as he gets better as the season has gone along. I just wish RG will improve with a new player

Can you elaborate on why you think this after less than a year into his career, when he hasnt started every game and was drafted to be backup for a while at least?

I'm not completely dumping on your opinion here, I'm just curious as to what has you thinking this 14 games into his career to be this sure as to say that he won't ever be a starting caliber OT.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2023 at 1:03 PM, hoosierhawk said:

Have a gut feeling we will need to be replacing both Kelly and Smith next year. Hope not but seems Kelly for sure and Smith has been very non-productive this year for what we are paying him. Freeland has been disappointing the last few games. We just can't seem to keep guys healthy.

I can understand the concern, but when healthy its an amazing unit, that we dont need to break up...... yet.

In the draft, we should continue to build depth at the enterior, so that 2-3 years from now, we can plug the newbies in to start.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Can you elaborate on why you think this after less than a year into his career, when he hasnt started every game and was drafted to be backup for a while at least?

I'm not completely dumping on your opinion here, I'm just curious as to what has you thinking this 14 games into his career to be this sure as to say that he won't ever be a starting caliber OT.

I understand it’s unbelievably difficult to find a solid starter on the offensive line look how so many teams have taken lineman that never panned out I’m not dumping on Friedland, I just think that the line could be better.

36 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I understand it’s unbelievably difficult to find a solid starter on the offensive line look how so many teams have taken lineman that never panned out I’m not dumping on Friedland, I just think that the line could be better.

Do you believe rookie lineman are what they are when they are drafted, or do you believe they can get stronger and better?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, lester said:

Do you believe rookie lineman are what they are when they are drafted, or do you believe they can get stronger and better?

Obviously an individual by individual question - but I can name a few OLmen who were either drafted late or not at all, and have made pro bowls.  (Besides Jeff)

With the multiple concussions and the new babies at home, I could see Kelly either retiring after this season or potentially next season. Either way, we should definitely plan on finding his eventual replacement.

Personally, a guy like Jackson Powers-Johnson out of Oregon could be a good fit. He's played both G positions and C, so he'd be immediate depth for those 3 and would be able to learn the C position better before he would need to start (if Kelly doesn't retire after this season).

I think the rest of the OL is solid and we may be able to upgrade depth, but our starting 5 are solid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

There are 31 other teams who all think their lines could be better though.

You are right, OL is incredibly hard to find 5 top of the line starters on, that makes it even harder to say that Freeland won't ever be a starter though? 

And look at how dire our OL situation at tackle was just a couple of years ago and compare that to Freeland's play, AND factor in that he is a rookie.... I think he's doing incredibly well all things considered.

• Like 2

I for one think the OL is having a phenomenal year. Nelson isn't the year in, year out 1st team All Pro that he used to be, but he's still playing at a high level. Kelly had an incredible rebound year. Raimann is becoming a franchise LT and is only in his second year of development btw. Fries is serviceable and Braden Smith has looked his usual stellar self while playing. If Freeland did whatever Raimann did this off-season, then we will also have a very good swing tackle going forward as well.  I'd also note that the few times Freeland did start this year were against some of the best DL in the league (Garrett and Donald topping that list), and although he got destroyed, it's very good learning experience.

They should always invest in depth/potential future starters, but I really does seem it was the coaching that made them look horrible last year until Saturday showed up.

21 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I’m just saying, I’m not completely happy with right guard and I hope Braden Smith finally can play again. Sadly, I feel like in your day now he will be injured reserve

The team is happy with RG.  Let’s hope Smith returns and is part of our playoff run.  If he doesn’t return RT becomes a real concern.  We will have to start a developmental tackle that has struggled all year and will become the weakest link and a liability if we make the playoffs.  He could face some very formidable ER’s.  Not  an ideal situation for sure.

• Like 1

The same 'fans' in here bashing Freeland were the same ones bashing Raimann last year. Freeland is learning on the fly just like Raimann last year and will be just fine with some more strength and conditioning work.

Witt, cut from the same cloth as Raimann and Freeland has been sitting on the IR all year for his redshirt season doing the same - strength and conditioning, practice reps and film work.

The starting 5 are fine, injuries aside, and the line is a top 5 line in the league and will likely stay that way. Depth is needed on the interior.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The same 'fans' in here bashing Freeland were the same ones bashing Raimann last year. Freeland is learning on the fly just like Raimann last year and will be just fine with some more strength and conditioning work.

Witt, cut from the same cloth as Raimann and Freeland has been sitting on the IR all year for his redshirt season doing the same - strength and conditioning, practice reps and film work.

The starting 5 are fine, injuries aside, and the line is a top 5 line in the league and will likely stay that way. Depth is needed on the interior.

I'm one of Raimann's biggest fans so a bit biased but dont see Freeland showing what Bernhard did at this point. With Raimann it was apparent he was a long time starter and future Pro Bowler (I think he makes it this year worst case scenario next).  Doesnt mean Freeland cant progress into a solid starter but not ready to release Smith and roll with him as of yet.

I am curious what Josh Sills can bring to the unit,was very good in college and strong upper body but sure wouldnt mind a vet interior signed in offseason to reinforce depth and push.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I wasn't a Raimann basher last year and don't feel I am bashing Freeland to say he hasn't look good the last few games. Hope everyone is back and playing great next year but I am concerned about the future of Kelly and Smith. Nothing would please me more than to see both back next year and playing at pro bowl caliber level.

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It does save the colts 22 mil if they cut Braden and Kelly and we need the space to re-sign Pitt, Grove, Blackmon, and Kenny. That's 60 mil right there. Mo is another 6 mil we can save.

They can always restructure Buckner and Q and Braden if they need space.  I’ve been reading we have plenty of space regardless.  I don’t see any cap space problems coming up.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They can always restructure Buckner and Q and Braden if they need space.  I’ve been reading we have plenty of space regardless.  I don’t see any cap space problems coming up.

Last I check we have around 66 mil in cap space 

Even with some heavy hitters in dead cap space the last couple of years, the team is still healthy in that department.  That is one area that Ballard and the front office guys have done a fantastic job managing in respect to some horrible contracts.

In terms of next year's Oline, I can see both Kelly and Smith coming back (especially Smith).  Freeland getting stronger in the offseason would pay huge dividends next year.  I want BPA in the draft but would rather see the top 3 rounds used on DB/DT/WR.  I think our scouts do a great job at finding athletic offensive lineman that can play if needed.