Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jelani Woods

1959Colts

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ever?    Why would you think two hamstrings are career ending?    Or is that not what you meant? 

When was the last time you heard of a hamstring, that was injured in the spring, BEFORE the draft, still having the player on IR at week 11? Let alone somehow tearing the opposite ham string during rehab and therapy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smittywerb said:

Sad, very sad.  We have a potential automatic mismatch at TE but can’t stay healthy enough to see the field.  I’m hoping he comes around.

We have a potential mismatch with Ogletree and even MAC.   But we rarely use the TEs anyway.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Our guys can't catch a break.

Still, when we only pass to our TEs a combined 4 times per game it's not going to be a huge loss. I know they still block, but we have 3 guys doing that.

Well, went and looked at the Eagles in 2022 when Steichen was still there and calling plays and TEs only had about 5-7 targets per game. Guess this is what we can expect. I just think it's weird we keep bringing in TEs then.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

When was the last time you heard of a hamstring, that was injured in the spring, BEFORE the draft, still having the player on IR at week 11? Let alone somehow tearing the opposite ham string during rehab and therapy.

So?    

The next time I hear about a player having two hamstring injuries and it ended their career will officially be the first time, at least for me.   And that’s more than 55 years of following the NFL. 

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So?    

The next time I hear about a player having two hamstring injuries and it ended their career will officially be the first time, at least for me.   And that’s more than 55 years of following the NFL. 

What I’m saying is that sometimes even injuries that usually are minor end up being career Enders.

• Like 1

I don’t think they ever intended for Woods to come back and play this season. I almost think they strung his injury situation out with complete intent to keep him off the roster and from being from being cut. After this season MAC can be cut saving the team almost 5 million dollars. So Woods will return and likely have an active roster spot next season.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I don’t think they ever intended for Woods to come back and play this season. I almost think they strung his injury situation out with complete intent to keep him off the roster and from being from being cut. After this season MAC can be cut saving the team almost 5 million dollars. So Woods will return and likely have an active roster spot next season.

Could be

14 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Still, when we only pass to our TEs a combined 4 times per game it's not going to be a huge loss. I know they still block, but we have 3 guys doing that.

I agree with this 100%

Many (probably most) teams pass to their TEs much more that the Colts do

J Woods would seem to have tremendous upside

Ogletree would seem to have tremendous upside

Mallory would seem to have tremendous upside

All 3 could be inline TEs

All 3 (I believe) could go to the slot

All 3 SHOULD/COULD be chain movers and red zone magnets

(6-6 and over, would/should be very hard to cover.)

I like Granson, but of the 4, he is really the "move TE" of the group. He can chip a DE, but he would be clobbered 1 on 1 with the DEs in the league

With the emergence of Josh Downs at slot,  I would like to see a clear winner of these three start to take the field at inline TE role

MOC, isnt the guy, and with 3 decent guys, I think he is the odd man out next year

We will see

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yikes. That TE room has been dinged up a lot this year. Maybe drafting Brock Bowers in the 1st isn’t a crazy idea. Like NCF said, he’s likely done for the season. He comes back next year he’ll be another guy that hasn’t played a bunch of football in 2 years, will need a few weeks to “get back to form”, will be behind in the playbook, and probably buried on the depth chart as they ease him back in. All that and he’ll be 3 years into his NFL career having only have played sparingly in his rookie season. The chances of him reaching his potential and becoming a feature TE for this offense are looking slim.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yikes. That TE room has been dinged up a lot this year. Maybe drafting Brock Bowers in the 1st isn’t a crazy idea. Like NCF said, he’s likely done for the season. He comes back next year he’ll be another guy that hasn’t played a bunch of football in 2 years, will need a few weeks to “get back to form”, will be behind in the playbook, and probably buried on the depth chart as they ease him back in. All that and he’ll be 3 years into his NFL career having only have played sparingly in his rookie season. The chances of him reaching his potential and becoming a feature TE for this offense are looking slim.

I get the sentiment, but I fully believe that Brock Bowers would play the slot....... mostly

We have a star in rising in Downs.....  his ONLY role is slot

I really think (hope) that we go BPA at WR or CB with pick 1

With the current high potential TE room, I would like to see one of the 3 (MOC isnt the future answer) separate from the pack

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I probably sound like I'm a big Bowers to the Colts guy because I bring this up a lot.   I'm not, but I previously said that I would not look at our TE room as something that should keep us from drafting a game changer at TE (if that's what Bowers is).   TE was considered a strength here by many, but there are a lot of questions there....with each one of them.  Ogletree seems to be the most solid player, IMO.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 2:35 AM, ProblChld32 said:

I like the stash theory. They could bring him back late this season where they have weeks before they have to activate him. Let him get some on the field work. I hope that is what happens.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I probably sound like I'm a big Bowers to the Colts guy because I bring this up a lot.   I'm not, but I previously said that I would not look at our TE room as something that should keep us from drafting a game changer at TE (if that's what Bowers is).   TE was considered a strength here by many, but there are a lot of questions there....with each one of them.  Ogletree seems to be the most solid player, IMO.

Agreed

We have great potential at TE

But.... this potential has net been met...... yet

I see flashes in all 3 TEs not named MOC

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I thought Bowers was done, but I believe I’ve read he might be back soon.  Maybe very soon.    If I find an update, I’ll post it here.   

38 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agreed

We have great potential at TE

But.... this potential has net been met...... yet

I see flashes in all 3 TEs not named MOC

The issue is that Mallory and Granson will never be great blockers..JMO.  And Woods had catching issues when he did play.  I think those are some pretty big things to hang your hat on getting corrected if a generational TE is sitting there at 13 when you pick.

Do you want AR waiting for those TEs to reach their potential, or give him an immediately high level player (like Nelson) that gives him a target day 1?

And the more I talk, the more I sound like Bowers to the Colts.  But I'd be happy with any player at any position outside of oline that could come in day 1 and play at a high level.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

The issue is that Mallory and Granson will never be great blockers..JMO.  And Woods had catching issues when he did play.  I think those are some pretty big things to hang your hat on getting corrected if a generational TE is sitting there at 13 when you pick.

Do you want AR waiting for those TEs to reach their potential, or give him an immediately high level player (like Nelson) that gives him a target day 1?

And the more I talk, the more I sound like Bowers to the Colts.  But I'd be happy with any player at any position outside of oline that could come in day 1 and play at a high level.

Granson seems to do better this year (When he is there against dbs but doesnt line up inline, as far as I have seen)

I personally believe that Mallory blocks ok for a 1st year guy..... put 15 lbs on him, and teach him, he may be good enough.... And the guy has shown at least some talent in catching

If you believe the hype, Bowers will be gone in top 10 picks. I dont think he will be an option for the Colts, when we draft, so probably a moot point

We have a slot that is a keeper

We have a WR2 that is a keeper

We have a RB that is a keeper

We are very weak at WR1

I dont see us trading up, but I put it at 50/50 that we move back 4-6 spots and pick up a WR1 with this pick

AD Mitchell or Coleman (If he slides)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Granson seems to do better this year (When he is there against dbs but doesnt line up inline, as far as I have seen)

I personally believe that Mallory blocks ok for a 1st year guy..... put 15 lbs on him, and teach him, he may be good enough.... And the guy has shown at least some talent in catching

If you believe the hype, Bowers will be gone in top 10 picks. I dont think he will be an option for the Colts, when we draft, so probably a moot point

We have a slot that is a keeper

We have a WR2 that is a keeper

We have a RB that is a keeper

We are very weak at WR1

I dont see us trading up, but I put it at 50/50 that we move back 4-6 spots and pick up a WR1 with this pick

AD Mitchell or Coleman (If he slides)

I have closely watched Granson block and until roughly the last 5 games I absolutely wanted him fired after this season. His route running and pass catching has just been OK to boot.

But I agree with you I believe, that when they have him moving pre-snap, that he has been busting his tail to get to his spot and whamming his target violently and going through the block still head hunting. He has a fire under his ask, playing like he wants a next contract offer.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 5:37 PM, Solid84 said:

His hamstrings are catching all the breaks