Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Panthers post game reaction

GoColts8818

30 minutes ago, Sikma said:

How do u not lock up Leonard and Nelson who were both All Pro in their rookie years? No one saw Leonard’s back issues coming down the pike (which he may still recover from in the future). 

Actually Leonard was injured with that issue when they extended him. Maybe they didn’t realize it was the back and thought  it was a simple ankle but he was on pup when he got extended. 

13 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Good:

-Kenny Moore…that’s the quote

-No Minshew turnovers

-He’s got work to do in coverage, but Jones as a physical corner is playing great. Like Brent’s, he lays the wood as a tackler and I love him getting in the receivers face after plays.

-Odeyingbo has turned into a solid depth pass rusher 

Bad:

-2nd half offense was awful. Won’t beat every team taking your foot off the gas like that

-Are you guys with me on the Pittman train yet? We saw that Downs has been carrying this receiver core. Even with him out Pittman couldn’t break out

-Leonard: He had 10 tackles but no splash plays again. Almost every LB we play looks as good or better than him.

-Safety play was again awful, but today their lack of speed to close showed.

-Bradley needs to go. Playing in a soft zone all game to not give up the big play, only to consistently get beat deep is concerning. 2nd game in a row this has happened and he’s lucky Kenny bailed us out twice.

Takeaway: Ugly win that the defense carried us to by scoring two touchdowns. Receivers and speed in the 2nd and 3rd levels of the defense are still big concerns going forward. This team needs a healthy Josh Downs asap. Bradley continues to be a let down.

13 - 13 tie, without the defense and Kenny Moore....  Offense was flat, 2.6yd per attempt for JT...  Line issue?

• Like 4

I’ll tell you something after thinking about this game that I watched yesterday I was pretty disgusted on how the offense played. We didn’t run the ball well and Minshew looked lost on a few plays along with a couple of senseless dangerous throws. I’m just happy the defense won a game for us. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

I think that's the issue.  There isn't another guard or LB in the NFL making what Shaq and Nelson make.  They are getting way more than market value.   I do understand your point of view, I do.  I just don't see things quite the way that you do.  Anyway, nice to get the win today.  

Get a Clue. Nelson has the 5th highest cap hit on OUR Team. And it's his biggest Cap hit yet $12M, on his Big contract. He is the 2nd highest paid G in the NFL based on length of contract total, and there are 4-5 guards making within 3-4M per year Avg.,and NONE of them were on a Hall of Fame trajectory when they got their deals. Nelson's big $$ starts next season.

SF set the market for LB with Fred Warner who is a great player on a excellent defense. Leonard got his deal that was much the same deal, immediately after Warner got his. Of course you know this. What did Baltimore give Raquan Smith? 5yrs $100M, just slightly more than Warner and Leonard. Yes good teams pay difference making LB's. 

The responsibility falls directly on Ballard, his philosophy, his staff, and our coaches to acquire and develop talent to build a SB caliber defense.

We have a SB caliber FG kicker and punter. And snapper.

NON Tackles with higher cap hits than Nelson this season.

Centers

Frank Ragnow

Cory Linsley

Ryan Kelly 

Guards

Joe Thuney

Cody Whitehair

And Zach Martin $450,000 less.

• Thanks 1

I am now finding myself holding my breath every time Minschew goes back to throw the ball.  His play has been so erratic and up and down.  You have to be ready for an interception or fumble or a batted down pass and also a big time throw as well.  There is nothing in his play that brings me a sense of confidence that he will perform adequately.   There is nothing we can do about it of course.  He needs as many good players around him as possible to help him.  I’m looking forward to Smith returning and Downs getting healthy.  Getting Taylor back is a big plus too.  The bye week is coming at the perfect time.  Hopefully we heal up and make a run.  And hopefully Minschew plays better than he has been playing.  That’s my hope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Let’s best the Pats to go .500 and take the bye week to hopefully get Brents, Smith and Franklin back

Exactly. One week at a time. Hopefully the bye will help us get those few guys healthy and ready for a late push. A wildcard is not out of the question.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hark said:

Exactly. One week at a time. Hopefully the bye will help us get those few guys healthy and ready for a late push. A wildcard is not out of the question.

Yep, we get to 5-5, it is like a new season. Starting from scratch at that point. We get a Bye, get healthy and go for it in the last 7 games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, we get to 5-5, it is like a new season. Starting from scratch at that point. We get a Bye, get healthy and go for it in the last 7 games. 

This is why the win yesterday was crucial. This team can't afford to lose games to bottom dwellers like the Panthers if they want to have a shot at the playoffs. One of the reasons for my optimism all along was our strength of schedule. I think I saw a graphic during the game yesterday that said our SOS the rest of the way was second weakest in the NFL. IF we can get some guys back, we have a real shot at 9 or 10 wins. With a backup QB and CB room that went from a solid unit before the Gilly trade to a questionable one, to a MASH unit seemingly overnight, I would count that as a success.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

A lot of people criticized taking a guard at pick #6, hall of fame or not.  A game changing LT, sure, but not a guard.  I'll admit that I didn't like the pick either, but I also understand why he was picked.  Luck was getting destroyed behind a subpar offensive line and Ballard was under a ton of pressure to fix it IMMEDIATELY. People were legit worried that Luck may be paralyzed out there.  I can see both sides.  Like I said, I didn't like the pick, but I understood it because of the reasons that I mentioned.  I don't care for Ballard, but that pick isn't something I would hold against him.  My point is that Moose isn't the only person that didn't like the pick.  There were some analysts that were critical of it as well.  Genuine question - why are you so fired up at him for not liking that pick?

Back in those days, we were never allowed to question The Ballard and there seems to be lingering grudges towards folks who questioned Ballard early on.  I guess perpetuated by the fact that more people have climbed on board the bus Moose started.  Moose's reasons for his opinions have always made sense to me, and he has stated them frequently.  Just questioning the Nelson pick set people off for some reason.

Your reason for the pick seems likely, however, there is also a belief that a GM should understand how Luck held the ball too long, in that simply adding overpriced olineman isn't really the way to fix the problem (when there were about 6 Gs available in the first round of that draft, and some thought Nelson might fall out of the top 10 given the needs of the teams).   In fact, when Luck returned, he was given a new offense where he dinked and dunked the ball a lot...which goes unnoticed by many who want to attribute the oline's success solely based upon the new oline players.  Then he started throwing long again as the season matured.  It was Luck adjusting his style as much as the new players, IMO. 

And it was more than protecting Luck, many liked the pick because Nelson was going to be a perpetual pancaker in the NFL, which supported the idea he was worth the high investment.  No, that never was gonna happen.

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

We’ll see on Shane.  I’ve seen more rookie mistakes from him as a rookie head coach than I did from Pagano or Reich.  I will say I like his offense more than Pagano’s or Reich’s and the results speak for themselves.  Only team to score 20 or more points every game while playing a backup QB most of the season.  Still he needs to show me he’s a good coach and not just a really good offensive mind.  However. He’s only halfway into his first year so too soon to cast judgement either way.

As a rookie hc I'm pleased with Shane from what I see so far GROWING pains and all. Do you realize that going into yesterday's game the Colts were 6th in scoring LEAGUE wise while having played FOUR top ten defenses with mostly a backup qb?! I have seen growth in Shane already as the season has progressed. For one he has been taking the points with a money kicker and has been less aggressive with a suddenly turnover prone LIMITED arm backup in Minshew. He called a "safe" game yesterday against a ONE win team that has NO offense!! (one of the worst in the league)

With that being said the problem has been the defense! Gus Bradley in particular. I take yesterday with a grain of salt because it's not EVERY Sunday that you'll get to face an abysmal team with a rookie qb and a subpar hc overseeing the process. This defense is FULL of JAG type players minus about 3. Buckner is elite. (top five at his position) Moore is probably top three at the nickel and Franklin has A LOT of tackles but how many are GAME CHANGING like the ones Leonard had when he was ELITE pre injury? Gus runs an OUTDATED system that he seems to be unwilling or incapable of ADAPTING to his players on hand said skillsets. This is now three games in a row late that this defense has given up an over 30 yd pass play on a 3rd and 13 or longer. Moore's late pick six saved another possible non closeout game.

1 hour ago, Hark said:

This is why the win yesterday was crucial. This team can't afford to lose games to bottom dwellers like the Panthers if they want to have a shot at the playoffs. One of the reasons for my optimism all along was our strength of schedule. I think I saw a graphic during the game yesterday that said our SOS the rest of the way was second weakest in the NFL. IF we can get some guys back, we have a real shot at 9 or 10 wins. With a backup QB and CB room that went from a solid unit before the Gilly trade to a questionable one, to a MASH unit seemingly overnight, I would count that as a success.

As far as getting healthy during the bye - I seem to recall last season's bye week ended...and the Colts had more players down than when it began.  Please correct me if my old memory is off.

17 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

As a rookie hc I'm pleased with Shane from what I see so far GROWING pains and all. Do you realize that going into yesterday's game the Colts were 6th in scoring LEAGUE wise while having played FOUR top ten defenses with mostly a backup qb?! I have seen growth in Shane already as the season has progressed. For one he has been taking the points with a money kicker and has been less aggressive with a suddenly turnover prone LIMITED arm backup in Minshew. He called a "safe" game yesterday against a ONE win team that has NO offense!! (one of the worst in the league)

With that being said the problem has been the defense! Gus Bradley in particular. I take yesterday with a grain of salt because it's not EVERY Sunday that you'll get to face an abysmal team with a rookie qb and a subpar hc overseeing the process. This defense is FULL of JAG type players minus about 3. Buckner is elite. (top five at his position) Moore is probably top three at the nickel and Franklin has A LOT of tackles but how many are GAME CHANGING like the ones Leonard had when he was ELITE pre injury? Gus runs an OUTDATED system that he seems to be unwilling or incapable of ADAPTING to his players on hand said skillsets. This is now three games in a row late that this defense has given up an over 30 yd pass play on a 3rd and 13 or longer. Moore's late pick six saved another possible non closeout game.

I am not saying it’s anything but growing pains.  I am just saying I am seeing more of them than we I did with the last two rookie coaches.  Clearly he can grow out of them.

I also gave him credit for the offense and said I liked his offense more. I am in no way saying he’s doing a bad job.  He just have growing to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

You have to find a team willing to trade one.  Those guys don’t hit the market very often.  I know Washington just traded two of them but that’s been the exception.

I know but I hope he tries.  He certainly has had no luck drafting one and he probably won’t try to sign one in FA.  Need to get aggressive and get one now that we have our quarterback.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Where are those threads proclaiming Minshew >>> Richardson? That's what I want to know.

Every time we have a day like we have yesterday, and the week before, and the week before, and… the week before we should re-open those threads for 48 hours and just let it degenerate into a free-for-all. Make those people come back and stand back up on the table to defend their claims. Some of them might actually learn to stop saying dumb % like that when we get to spend a day or two a week beating them over the head with their silliness. 

If someone wants to say something silly that’s fine, but stand on the table for it and take your medicine when it’s proven wrong the same way you stood on the table to tell us it was right to begin with. Ol @lennymoore24 has a great big old dose of medicine waiting on him for that one. 

• Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

As far as getting healthy during the bye - I seem to recall last season's bye week ended...and the Colts had more players down than when it began.  Please correct me if my old memory is off.

Don't recall, but I sure hope it is better this year

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I know but I hope he tries.  He certainly has had no luck drafting one and he probably won’t try to sign one in FA.  Need to get aggressive and get one now that we have our quarterback.

That’s because guys like that don’t make it free agency.  Odds are he’s going to draft one.  For the longest time people said he couldn’t draft a WR either but Pittman and Downs have changed that.  All it takes is hitting once.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s because guys like that don’t make it free agency.  Odds are he’s going to draft one.  For the longest time people said he couldn’t draft a WR either but Pittman and Downs have changed that.  All it takes is hitting once.  

I wish him luck on finding one in the draft.  He’s going to need it big time.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I just read that the Colts will be playing on a new hybrid field that was installed in Frankfort for the two games this year.  That means it’s made of at least 90% natural grass with synthetic fibers woven in for strength.  I like that a lot. 

Yeah... Not only Netherlands are experts for high quality grass:P

3 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Where are those threads proclaiming Minshew >>> Richardson? That's what I want to know.

I will admit that I stated that Minshew gave us a better chance at winning games at the start of the season.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I'll take my opportunity to give SS props for yesterday's result.

He was able to lead the team to play winning football, against a bad team, with a lot of injured players tied behind his back.

Given the number of valuable players not playing, it was easily possible for the opposite result to happen.  It didn't.  And I'll give SS credit for it.

That being said, I can't help but echo the observation that our defense score more points than our offense scored.  Let's not repeat that one.

Hoping for the soon return of our injured and missing players.  I think our chances of winning any further games hinges on our having the intended team on the field, rather than the backups of the backups of the backups.  Right now, I think we have players at Ben Davis that probably out-rank some of the talent that we're being forced to put on the field.

I'm glad for the win.  Yay!  Let's get our guys back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I'll take my opportunity to give SS props for yesterday's result.

He was able to lead the team to play winning football, against a bad team, with a lot of injured players tied behind his back.

Given the number of valuable players not playing, it was easily possible for the opposite result to happen.  It didn't.  And I'll give SS credit for it.

That being said, I can't help but echo the observation that our defense score more points than our offense scored.  Let's not repeat that one.

Hoping for the soon return of our injured and missing players.  I think our chances of winning any further games hinges on our having the intended team on the field, rather than the backups of the backups of the backups.  Right now, I think we have players at Ben Davis that probably out-rank some of the talent that we're being forced to put on the field.

I'm glad for the win.  Yay!  Let's get our guys back.

Slow down your roll. 😛

My Brownsburg Bulldogs had them at 25-7 and let them off the hook, the Ben Davis Giants to lose 25-28 in the High school game of the year in Indiana (sadly for Brownsburg on the losing end). Let us not compare high school talent with NFL talent. 

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Slow down your roll. 😛

My Brownsburg Bulldogs had them at 25-7 and let them off the hook, the Ben Davis Giants to lose 25-28 in the High school game of the year in Indiana (sadly for Brownsburg on the losing end). Let us not compare high school talent with NFL talent. 

They're MY Brownsburg Bulldogs too!

Ok, I haven't gone to see them.  But I do live in Brownsburg, and go to the Brownsburg B-Dubs nearly every Sunday to watch the Colts games.  I won't be there this coming weekend, because I have a funeral to go to.  Won't be there until the first game in December.  (Will be at the Bucs game!)

But look for me and my family at B-Dubs in the bar, usually in the middle, with my younger sister wearing her Packers stuff.  :) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

They're MY Brownsburg Bulldogs too!

Ok, I haven't gone to see them.  But I do live in Brownsburg, and go to the Brownsburg B-Dubs nearly every Sunday to watch the Colts games.  I won't be there this coming weekend, because I have a funeral to go to.  Won't be there until the first game in December.  (Will be at the Bucs game!)

But look for me and my family at B-Dubs in the bar, usually in the middle, with my younger sister wearing her Packers stuff.  :) 

I just don't understand these 6A sectional schedules.

Ben Davis, Brownsburg, Cathedral, Warren Central, Center Grove all on one side, each is a semi-state candidate.

Fishers, HSE, Westfield, Noblesville, Zionsville all on the other side, all the bolded teams Brownsburg beat. They got paired with Ben Davis as a reward for going undefeated.  :( 

HSE is a good team but if it were on the other side, it doesn't have a prayer to make the Semi-State, IMO. Now it does have a good shot and bragging rights.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I just don't understand these 6A sectional schedules.

Ben Davis, Brownsburg, Cathedral, Warren Central, Center Grove all on one side, each is a semi-state candidate.

Fishers, HSE, Westfield, Noblesville, Zionsville all on the other side, all the bolded teams Brownsburg beat. They got paired with Ben Davis as a reward for going undefeated.  :( 

HSE is a good team but if it were on the other side, it doesn't have a prayer to make the Semi-State, IMO. Now it does have a good shot and bragging rights.

If you're gonna be the best, you gotta beat the best.  Whether they are early in the bracket or later.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

If you're gonna be the best, you gotta beat the best.  Whether they are early in the bracket or later.

True. Last year, they went a little farther and lost to Cathedral in the Regional Championships 7-14 on a cold windy day missing 3 FGs, I heard (since I wasn't there).

I am glad the Bulldog RB Sherrell got a lot of college offers, one of which is U. Indy. a DII school, that is what I read.

• Like 1