Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Panthers post game reaction

GoColts8818

21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think anyone is saying over paying players doesn’t impact the future of the team.  People objected to fans being upset about contracts like they have to pay them or manage the salary cap.  I also think most people feel the contracts handed out by Ballard have been market value because if Ballard hadn’t paid them that someone else would have.  This isn’t the Jags why over paying for Christian Kirk where it reset the whole market for the position situation.  

Makes sense. However, I think Ballard decides early on what he will pay and that’s it, he’s done pursuing a guy if the market goes higher. But sometimes if the Colts could really benefit from a certain player, it’s not overpaying, it’s just what the player costs. The Jags badly needed a WR, and Kirk went for 1,000 yards and caught two TDs in the postseason and helped them win a playoff game. He’s a top 20 WR. I bet no one thought he was overpaid when he caught a huge TD pass to help beat the Chargers in the playoffs. You can’t always shop in the bargain bin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kymd82222 said:

I'll probably regret sticking my foot into this hornets nest, but here it goes 😂....The "Luck retired" excuse is long gone, done and over with.  That's not an excuse anymore.  I also disagreed with the Leonard and Nelson signings.  Did I want them signed? Sure I did, but not for the insane and asinine amount of money that Ballard gave them.  This isn't the 80s, 90s, or even early 2000s.  The best teams in today's NFL are not paying an LB and a guard top dollar.  They shouldn't be anywhere close to the highest paid players on the team.  If you want to win today, you have your high paid guys have to be QBs, WRs, DEs, and CBs.  The guys at high impact positions. Those positions are the most valuable.  When your highest paid player on defense is an LB, no matter how good he was, it leaves less money to pay positions that are much more valuable in today's NFL.  It makes no sense.  Leonard and Nelson may have been beasts and been 1st team All Pros, but there are other positions which have a much bigger impact on getting wins. 

On a related note, Ballard is the guy in favor or trying to build a Legion of Boom 2.0, which is why we have to deal with Bradley and players that fit into that scheme.  Bradley's scheme is antiquated, and the Legion of Boom fantasy is a fool's dream in today's NFL.  Even in the last 10 years, the game has changed offensively and defensively so much.  

As far as the win today, I'm enjoying the win.  I'm not the optimist that you are, but a win is always fun, especially since we already matched our win total from last year.  That being said, I can understand someone's frustration with Ballard and how he has built this team.  Some people like Moose are "glass half empty" people.  It doesn't make him a troll IMHO.  It's just the way he thinks.  Anyway, like I said, I may regret sticking my foot into this hornets nest.  We'll see.  

I agree with this post.   It has taken me a few years to get there, and I've always been disappointed with the QB situation until now.   I haven't been this excited about our QB since Luck.  I know AR has a lot to prove,  but what he did show was promising.  I was not excited about Paye or Dayo to fix DE, but Jones and Brents are showing promise this year at CB.  Downs also seems like a great pick.   If all these picks produce, WR and DE might be the two positions left to address.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It's really not bout paying the money with Nelson. If he was that elite guard that we saw in the first 3 years, then what the hell. The major issue I had was this. He was coming off an off year. He was 2nd team all pro but was not near the same player he was in his first 3 years. Ballard should have waited and not signed him until the end of the season. Nelson was going to get paid big money if he another dominate year but I doubt his yearly contract would have went up past the 20 million he eventually made. Ballard signed him early, and Nelson is a good guard but no near elite.  Could I imagine what his value would have been after last year? He was signed for 20 mill but he wouldn't have deserved half that after last season. Great teams and great GMs don't make these mistakes. I really bailed on Ballard after JT. Let him play out the season. JT had no leverage. Moss was balling. I understood trying to protect Richardson and once again, I felt they jumped the gun. Do u think thr GM for the Eagles or Reid make these mistakes? They routinely let guys go.

Btw.  OT.  Higgins is having a nice game.  Collinsworth said that Cincinnati will probably not be able to keep him because he’s a number 1 wr.   Just info for you when you want to have that convo.   Another time.  

9 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Makes sense. However, I think Ballard decides early on what he will pay and that’s it, he’s done pursuing a guy if the market goes higher. But sometimes if the Colts could really benefit from a certain player, it’s not overpaying, it’s just what the player costs. The Jags badly needed a WR, and Kirk went for 1,000 yards and caught two TDs in the postseason and helped them win a playoff game. He’s a top 20 WR. I bet no one thought he was overpaid when he caught a huge TD pass to help beat the Chargers in the playoffs. You can’t always shop in the bargain bin. 

This is one of the biggest myths about Ballard.  He doesn’t always shop bargain bend.  He traded a first for Buckner and then immediately gave him a big contract as part of the deal.  He gave Gay a big contract.  He signed Ebron, Rivers, Gilmore, and Houston to pretty decent contracts.  He took two swings that admittedly missed badly in Wentz and Ryan but he still invested in them and they weren’t cheap.  

I know they aren’t acquisitions but he’s also handed out big contracts to AC, Kelly, Smith, Nelson, Grover, Leonard, and Taylor.  So he’s willing to spend big money he just like to build through the draft and pay his own like Polian did.  Frankly, that’s what most good GMs do, using free agency sparingly like Ballard has.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Btw.  OT.  Higgins is having a nice game.  Collinsworth said that Cincinnati will probably not be able to keep him because he’s a number 1 wr.   Just info for you when you want to have that convo.   Another time.  

Thanks. He should be the target for free agency and over pay if u have to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

No worries. I have worked as a child protection and financial aid, so I have a very thick skin. So let me ask u. Just say the Colts finish below 500. What changes would u make going forward?

That is a great question, let me think about that one for a while. We need to give Ballard at least 1 more year because we need to see if AR is a hit. We won't know until next season. If AR has a good season and we make the playoffs, then Ballard made some progress. Shane IMO, is better than Chuck or Reich already, and he is a rookie. So, Shane is safe for at least 3 years or so. That is a tough question.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a great question, let me think about that one for a while. We need to give Ballard at least 1 more year because we need to see if AR is a hit. We won't know until next season. If AR has a good season and we make the playoffs, then Ballard made some progress. Shane IMO, is better than Chuck or Reich already, and he is a rookie. So, Shane is safe for at least 3 years or so. That is a tough question.

We’ll see on Shane.  I’ve seen more rookie mistakes from him as a rookie head coach than I did from Pagano or Reich.  I will say I like his offense more than Pagano’s or Reich’s and the results speak for themselves.  Only team to score 20 or more points every game while playing a backup QB most of the season.  Still he needs to show me he’s a good coach and not just a really good offensive mind.  However. He’s only halfway into his first year so too soon to cast judgement either way.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

We’ll see on Shane.  I’ve seen more rookie mistakes from him as a rookie head coach than I did from Pagano or Reich.  I will say I like his offense more than Pagano’s or Reich’s and the results speak for themselves.  Only team to score 20 or more points every game while playing a backup QB most of the season.  Still he needs to show me he’s a good coach and not just a really good offensive mind.  However. He’s only halfway into his first year so too soon to cast judgement either way.

Yeah that is where I was going with it. Shane seems more creative than both. It didn't look like it today but we had a big lead so he was calling safe boring plays. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Technically every team has an OC but the headcoach has a lot say on what is called. In KC, Eric was the OC but believe me Andy Reid had/has his input on things. 

Well yeah Reid calls the plays.  A lot depends on your HC’s background.  Like when Dungy came in here he was more involved with the defense and left the offense to Moore and Peyton.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

All we need is a #1 WR then we go.

If our offense was bottom of the barrel, I'd agree with you.  Yeah, today they were awful, but overall the offense has been top 10 even with a backup QB.  The defense has been our achilles heel this season.  (Again, aside from today lol).  We need another great WR and DE, but I think a good DE would be more beneficial given how bad our defense has been overall.  If our offense was our main issue, then yeah, I'd say a #1 WR would be our top priority.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

If our offense was bottom of the barrel, I'd agree with you.  Yeah, today they were awful, but overall the offense has been top 10 even with a backup QB.  The defense has been our achilles heel this season.  (Again, aside from today lol).  We need another great WR and DE, but I think a good DE would be more beneficial given how bad our defense has been overall.  If our offense was our main issue, then yeah, I'd say a #1 WR would be our top priority.  

That’s why I am saying if the Colts end up with a high pick don’t be surprised to see them go end not WR.  I want to make one slight change to what you said though, they need a pass rushing end.  They have several really good run stopping ends, Samson, Kwitty, and Lewis.  This fine because you need those guys too.  They need someone to constantly get after the QB though.  Those guys are the hardest thing to find in a draft minus a franchise QB so if you have a chance to get one you do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

49-57-1. Fair & balanced, Shute posts when we win or lose. 

Although he was the GM in 2017, counting 2017 is a little dicey. He didn't get a chance to choose the coach he wanted. Irsay wanted to keep Chuck. Luck was out for the whole year so we were playing with backup QB's all year, and so on. Also, Chuck wanted Malik Hooker so Ballard drafted him in Round 1. Take that 2017= 4-12 season out and Ballard is .500 at 45-45-1. It is whatever narrative how someone wants to play it. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It's really not bout paying the money with Nelson. If he was that elite guard that we saw in the first 3 years, then what the hell. The major issue I had was this. He was coming off an off year. He was 2nd team all pro but was not near the same player he was in his first 3 years. Ballard should have waited and not signed him until the end of the season. Nelson was going to get paid big money if he another dominate year but I doubt his yearly contract would have went up past the 20 million he eventually made. Ballard signed him early, and Nelson is a good guard but no near elite.  Could I imagine what his value would have been after last year? He was signed for 20 mill but he wouldn't have deserved half that after last season. Great teams and great GMs don't make these mistakes. I really bailed on Ballard after JT. Let him play out the season. JT had no leverage. Moss was balling. I understood trying to protect Richardson and once again, I felt they jumped the gun. Do u think thr GM for the Eagles or Reid make these mistakes? They routinely let guys go.

What a surprise!   Moose tells half the story, but it’s the half he doesn’t tell that will explain things.    

First, you never liked the Nelson pick.   Not ever.   He was a guard and you hated that, even when he was on a Hall of Fame track.  

Second, Your new argument is now that in 2021 when Nelson broke his foot in training camp and came back in 30 days, then suffered a high ankle sprain, the Colts should have used that against him by waiting him out.  That way the Colts might have signed him for half the price.   That would’ve been poison for the locker room.   The Colts message to our players under Ballard is we will either pay you the most or the Colts will encourage you to take a better offer.   To use Nelson’s injuries against him would’ve been the worst possible message to the team.   It would poison the locker room.  

You’ve yet to figure out the team you choose to root for is a Small Market team.   Philly is a big market team.   And Kansas City is an original AFC franchise that’s been in existence for 25 years before the Colts even came to Indy.   They don’t operate like a small market team.   Both franchises that you mention can do things the Colts can’t.   If Ballard is fired tomorrow, Irsay will hire either Dodds or Morocco Brown and nothing will change.   The approach that you hate that you think is set only by Ballard is also set by Irsay.   It’s not changing.   I don’t see the Colts signing anyone like Christian Kirk to a deal that upset many NFL teams.   Irsay is not changing that approach.   

The Colts have to be smarter than other teams.   Welcome to the world of the small market teams.   They can’t do things big market teams can do.   And while you can point to Kirk be signed by Jacksonville which is a small market team, you probably didn't know that before that Kirk signing JVille spent $1.4 BILLION over 10 years in free agency and had almost zero to show for it.   That was the most in the NFL for that decade.  Jim Irsay is not going down that rabbit hole. 

It’s unbelievable that you think using Nelson’s injuries against him is a good idea.   The Colts locker room is everything.   And adding poison to it is the worst possible idea.   Irsay loves Nelson.   Pretty much called him the face of the franchise. He’d never stand for it. 

Im glad you have thick skin, I suspect you’re going to need it. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Although he was the GM in 2017, counting 2017 is a little dicey. He didn't get a chance to choose the coach he wanted. Irsay wanted to keep Chuck. Luck was out for the whole year so we were playing with backup QB's all year, and so on. Also, Chuck wanted Malik Hooker so Ballard drafted him in Round 1. Take that 2017= 4-12 season out and Ballard is .500 at 45-45-1. It is whatever narrative how someone wants to play it. 

“Dicey”?!?   You’re way WAY too kind.  

It’s bogus at best done by the Ballard haters trying to make their case.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What a surprise!   Moose tells half the story, but it’s the half he doesn’t tell that will explain things.    

First, you never liked the Nelson pick.   Not ever.   He was a guard and you hated that, even when he was on a Hall of Fame track.  

Second, Your new argument is now that in 2021 when Nelson broke his foot in training camp and came back in 30 days, then suffered a high ankle sprain, the Colts should have used that against him by waiting him out.  That way the Colts might have signed him for half the price.   That would’ve been poison for the locker room.   The Colts message to our players under Ballard is we will either pay you the most or the Colts will encourage you to take a better offer.   To use Nelson’s injuries against him would’ve been the worst possible message to the team.   It would poison the locker room.  

You’ve yet to figure out the team you choose to root for is a Small Market team.   Philly is a big market team.   And Kansas City is an original AFC franchise that’s been in existence for 25 years before the Colts even came to Indy.   They don’t operate like a small market team.   Both franchises that you mention can do things the Colts can’t.   If Ballard is fired tomorrow, Irsay will hire either Dodds or Morocco Brown and nothing will change.   The approach that you hate that you think is set only by Ballard is also set by Irsay.   It’s not changing.   I don’t see the Colts signing anyone like Christian Kirk to a deal that upset many NFL teams.   Irsay is not changing that approach.   

The Colts have to be smarter than other teams.   Welcome to the world of the small market teams.   They can’t do things big market teams can do.   And while you can point to Kirk be signed by Jacksonville which is a small market team, you probably didn't know that before that Kirk signing JVille spent $1.4 BILLION over 10 years in free agency and had almost zero to show for it.   That was the most in the NFL for that decade.  Jim Irsay is not going down that rabbit hole. 

It’s unbelievable that you think using Nelson’s injuries against him is a good idea.   The Colts locker room is everything.   And adding poison to it is the worst possible idea.   Irsay loves Nelson.   Pretty much called him the face of the franchise. He’d never stand for it. 

What's that tell u when the face of your franchise is a guard? Can u think of another , not even great franchise, when the guard is "the man"?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

I think that's the issue.  There isn't another guard or LB in the NFL making what Shaq and Nelson make.  They are getting way more than market value.   I do understand your point of view, I do.  I just don't see things quite the way that you do.  Anyway, nice to get the win today.  

Does it matter that no guard is making what Nelson makes (if that is true)? Serious question. Do the Colts have salary cap constraints?

If you chose to pay extra for something you value (the way the Colts value Nelson), would it matter that someone else may not want to pay as much for it?

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Of course, it matters what a  player is paid. What could this team of done with the money paid to Nelson, Leonard and now Taylor? Had Ballard waited on all three, I bet he would have saved millions that could have been allocated to pick up some players in free agency.

It would matter only if the Colts were having salary cap constraints -- having little or no money under the salary cap to sign free agents. Seriously, what free agent would you have liked the Colts to pick up that was not signed because there was not enough money under the salary cap?

Note: This is a post-game thread. Read the room and notice that folks want to enjoy the win. You write about the same issue all the time.  Why post the very same comments in a post-game thread where folks want to enjoy the win? Create a different thread and talk with the others who are critical of the moves the team makes.

Anyway, congrats on the win, everyone. Enjoy it..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

What's that tell u when the face of your franchise is a guard? Can u think of another , not even great franchise, when the guard is "the man"?

Irsay called him that.   Because he was THAT good.    And during all that time in his glory years, you hated that the Colts took Nelson, even when he was on a Hall of Fame track.   

Your post was as silly as the one you recently made when you said Cooper Kupp isn’t that good, he’s a product of the McVey system.   It didn’t occur to you that the Rams clearly disagree with you because they made Kupp one of the top-10 highest paid WRs in the league.    Ooops!    

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay called him that.   Because he was THAT good.    And during all that time in his glory years, you hated that the Colts took Nelson, even when he was on a Hall of Fame track.   

Your post was as silly as the one you recently made when you said Cooper Kupp isn’t that good, he’s a product of the McVey system.   It didn’t occur to you that the Rams clearly disagree with you because they made Kupp one of the top-10 highest paid WRs in the league.    Ooops!    

A lot of people criticized taking a guard at pick #6, hall of fame or not.  A game changing LT, sure, but not a guard.  I'll admit that I didn't like the pick either, but I also understand why he was picked.  Luck was getting destroyed behind a subpar offensive line and Ballard was under a ton of pressure to fix it IMMEDIATELY. People were legit worried that Luck may be paralyzed out there.  I can see both sides.  Like I said, I didn't like the pick, but I understood it because of the reasons that I mentioned.  I don't care for Ballard, but that pick isn't something I would hold against him.  My point is that Moose isn't the only person that didn't like the pick.  There were some analysts that were critical of it as well.  Genuine question - why are you so fired up at him for not liking that pick?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Small market/big market has little relevance in organizations that have a salary cap, ESPECIALLY with the NFL's revenue sharing agreement.  The main argument for a salary cap in baseball is that the small markets will be able to better compete with the larger markets.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why I am saying if the Colts end up with a high pick don’t be surprised to see them go end not WR.  I want to make one slight change to what you said though, they need a pass rushing end.  They have several really good run stopping ends, Samson, Kwitty, and Lewis.  This fine because you need those guys too.  They need someone to constantly get after the QB though.  Those guys are the hardest thing to find in a draft minus a franchise QB so if you have a chance to get one you do it.

Yeah, definitely agree with you.  I should have specified that.  Definitely need a pass rushing DE.  Agreed.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

A lot of people criticized taking a guard at pick #6, hall of fame or not.  A game changing LT, sure, but not a guard.  I'll admit that I didn't like the pick either, but I also understand why he was picked.  Luck was getting destroyed behind a subpar offensive line and Ballard was under a ton of pressure to fix it IMMEDIATELY. People were legit worried that Luck may be paralyzed out there.  I can see both sides.  Like I said, I didn't like the pick, but I understood it because of the reasons that I mentioned.  I don't care for Ballard, but that pick isn't something I would hold against him.  My point is that Moose isn't the only person that didn't like the pick.  There were some analysts that were critical of it as well.  Genuine question - why are you so fired up at him for not liking that pick?

Because Moose NEVER liked the pick.   He’s never made the fair and reasonable argument that YOU just did.   Even when Nelson was healthy and on a Hall of Fame track, Moose would make anti-Nelson arguments.  I think he makes nonsensical arguments.   I think making an argument like Moose did tonight that the Colts had leverage against Nelson and the Colts should have used it is a humiliating argument.   It’s as if Moose has not paid attention to the Colts since the day he arrived.   

23 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Small market/big market has little relevance in organizations that have a salary cap, ESPECIALLY with the NFL's revenue sharing agreement.  The main argument for a salary cap in baseball is that the small markets will be able to better compete with the larger markets.  

Sorry, but it has complete relevance.   Not during the season, but in the off-season when a team decides the moves it wants to make.   

A team like Philly makes more money than the Colts in every area imaginable.  More in tickets, parking, food,  merch, media rights, on and on.   The Colts have to be smart with every dollar they spend.   Irsay doesn’t want to be signing expensive free agents every year.   He’s done it once in the 12 years I’ve been here — 2013 — and I don’t think it’s a surprise he’s never done it again.   It didn’t go that well.  

Good

- Kenny Moore:  2 ints, 2 TDs, 8 tackles (7 of them solo).  MVP of the game.  Enough said.

- Minshew:  stat wise, he did nothing special, but he’s in the good category because he ZERO turnovers.  

- JT:  bad running day but good to see him catching passes out of the backfield and he got one touchdown out of it. 

- MPJ:  not a great game but a good one.  8 catches on 8 targets.  Would like to see the avg get above (8.0yds) but I’ll take it.  

- Shaq:  led the team in tackles with 10.  7 of them solo.  He’s slowly getting back to being maniaq.

- defensive line:  buck, qwitty, ade, and dayo combined for 4 sacks.  They were getting good pressure.  

- Matt Gay:  2/2 and the longest was 57 yards.  That’s what we pay him for.

Bad

- McKenzie:  i doubt he retains return duties by the end of the year.  That fumble, ugh.

- Josh Downs Injury:  not good, hopefully he recovers quickly because without him, I don’t see MPJ carrying this offense through the air.

- Alex Pierce:  2 targets, 0 receptions.  Put up a Goose Egg.  Hopefully he turns it around because I had high hopes for him, but he’s not looking good at all.

• Like 1

This is still the only team in the NFL that has scored more than 20 points a game. 

Granted, Kenny Moore put up 14 of those, but still.  Kenny is really better than what most give him credit for. 

Buckner is an absolute beast

Olubi deserves more snaps at LB

If the other team is stacking the box, Steichen needs to keep adjusting the game plan accordingly. Opposing teams are going to continue to do this to the Colts

Was glad to see Minshew throw it away a few times instead of turning it over 

Jones looking pretty decent at CB 

Gonna miss Downs 

The O-Line has got to block better - esp on the run game 

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I mean, aren't we all Charlie Brown? Unless you're a fan that has so little knowledge of the team that you can't tell the difference between Richardson and Minshew. We keep coming back for more despite knowing the limitations of the team with Minshew at QB.

Minshew , providing he stays healthy, is our QB for the rest of the year wether you like it or not.  You should just focus your attention on your Broncos.

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I would trade our 1st for one like we did for Buckner.

This game was a snooze fest. Took my nephew to Bdubs bc he is a huge Eagles fan and the were playing the Cowboys. Colts were on the big screen and speaker system and I watched the Eagles game more. Happy for a win but 27yds in the second half?!?  A win is a win but the offense was ugly. I’m interested to see if it bounces back in Germany. 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, due respect, you don’t get to pick and choose what years “count.” Had Indy somehow won 12 games in 2017 no one would be saying “Don’t count it, wasn’t his coach.” Or why not take away Luck’s wins since CB didn’t draft him. Or this year doesn’t count since AR is out. It turns into silly mental gymnastics. CB’s record is what it is. Defend it if you like but you can’t parse the years you want from ones you don’t. That some fans want to not count certain years to make him look better is … strange. That’s not how sports works. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Painterman said:

Love it.🤩

How do u not lock up Leonard and Nelson who were both All Pro in their rookie years? No one saw Leonard’s back issues coming down the pike (which he may still recover from in the future). 

• Like 1