Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Browns post game reactions

GoColts8818

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

No matter how u want to slice it. Once again the defense  crumbles. Everyone wants to blame the O but I say it is the  DNA of this D to fail when the pressure is on

The last possession it was 3rd and 10 and throw a 2 yard pass. That’s ridiculous. Then the refs took over. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And going into the game, that defense of the Browns had only allowed 77 points all season long. We hung half their season total on them in one game.

They held the 49ers to 17 points. Scoring 38 points on the Browns defense makes me believe that the Colts can score against most opponents.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Matabix said:

You not watching same game as me. On most of the TDs Pittman was involved some how. Either lead the block or caught one. Pitt is always involved. Watch the Colts play next time.

Don't be passive aggressive, it's unnecessary.   I watch the games.  He had 2 catches today.  He had 1 big play.  He has 1 game over 100 yards and only 2 tds on the year.  He has a few games with garbage time receptions at the end when the defense is just dropping back giving us short catches on purpose while we are losing that make his stats better than they are.  He is a tall wr who never wins 50/50 balls or even leaves the ground. I don't think he fits the system going forward.  I'm expecting him to want paid at the end of the year and I don't think he's worth what he'll ask for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Minshew is the only QB coughing up the ball on 50% of sacks. It’s a him thing, not an everyone else not playing football thing. Lol. 

That’s because our sacks are coming from our tackles. When he gets hit from behind. That’s when he’s fumbling. It’s not a him problem. When you get hit from behind while throwing, that’s all on the lineman. LOL.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I never blame the refs.  But blaming Ballard for this loss is asinine.   Turnovers lost the game.   That's not on Ballard 

Read my post. He is to blame for constructing this defense 8 years later. Do I blame him for this loss? Well, let's just say if we had an elite pass rusher and a cover corner, we probably win. We don't, and that's my issue with him. The only elite player he has gotten 8 years later is Buckner, and that was thru a trade. 

• Like 1

Just now, tweezy32 said:

That’s because our sacks are coming from our tackles. When he gets hit from behind. That’s when he’s fumbling. It’s not a him problem. When you get hit from behind while throwing, that’s all on the lineman. LOL.

Probably a bit of both.  Minshew tried to throw out of the sack on at least 1 of the fumbles and needed to take the sack and tuck it.  He is a fighter and but sometimes you gotta give up on the play.  

But ya, Freeland looked horrible 

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Read my post. He is to blame for constructing this defense 8 years later. Do I blame him for this loss? Well, let's just say if we had an elite pass rusher and a cover corner, we probably win. We don't, and that's my issue with him. The only elite player he has gotten 8 years later is Buckner, and that was thru a trade. 

The defense didn't turn the ball over 3 times. 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The refs were the game changer.  That is the fact.  And it is not in dispute.

It is in dispute.   3 turnovers

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Well if that was Shane’s worst game against the number 1 Defense in the league, with one of the best current D coordinators and an elite DE, I’ll take it. Without the refs saving the brownies, we win this going away

People have to separate actual play calling from situational awareness decisions.

42 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s one thing to lose because your just not good enough. Then you can accept that and try to get better players. What makes this worse is we are just giving games away just like last season.

This year is NOTHING like last season.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

This is what we know coming into the game:

• The Browns had the leagues #1 defense ergo we need to take the points when we can. 

• Matt Gay has the leg to make a 60 FG. 

This was an easily defendable call given what we knew. Could we have punted? Sure, but the FG attempt was NOT a bad call. 

The Browns just made a freak play. 

Thank you, to many people are looking at the result and calling it a bad move by the coach, but like you said Matt Gay has the leg and going against the #1 defense you take points when you can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

Officiating was bad BUT that defense gave up a 30 and 17 yd pass play plus a couple of more WIDE open middle of the field pass plays on that game winning drive by the Browns!! Gus's defense STINKS!!!!! Made Walker look like Montana on that last drive BEFORE the penalties!!!! Why is Baker still on this roster anyway?

because we lost rodgers before the season and lost flowers for the year .  then brents goes out in the game .   at this point any one we bring in as a free agent is gonna stink just as bad

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

People have to separate actual play calling from situational awareness decisions.

Do you know what situational awareness is in terms of football?

It’s NOT something coaches just wake up and have one day. I can tell you from personal experience when you’re on the sideline making decisions, it all goes by quickly. 

The game has to slow down for the coach over time as well. Shane isn’t perfect but you ignore that he’s a rookie head coach and his 7th game ever just finished. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Don't be passive aggressive, it's unnecessary.   I watch the games.  He had 2 catches today.  He had 1 big play.  He has 1 game over 100 yards and only 2 tds on the year.  He has a few games with garbage time receptions at the end when the defense is just dropping back giving us short catches on purpose while we are losing that make his stats better than they are.  He is a tall wr who never wins 50/50 balls or even leaves the ground. I don't think he fits the system going forward.  I'm expecting him to want paid at the end of the year and I don't think he's worth what he'll ask for.

Am I misunderstanding you?    Are you saying Pitt doesn’t win 50/50 balls or are you saying Pierce?    Because Pittman’s strength is winning 50/50 balls.   It’s one of his top qualities.   The Colts pointed that out the day he was drafted and he’s been doing it since he became a Colt. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, JediXMan said:

Overshadowed by the nonsense that happened in the end was how good JT looked today. he's shaking off the rust and is looking better each week.

It seemed he was cooking and we had a few late possessions where we ran it with Moss that I really wish we had JT on the field

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

And some people have to actually hold the players accountable for their issues and not blame the Gm or coach for everything 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Fully agree on that.  As frustrating as today’s ending was it was fun.  Very little of last year was fun.

Yep, they showed a graphic on our offensive stats and were easily twice as good in every category except turnovers compared to last year

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

And some people have to actually hold the players accountable for their issues and not blame the Gm or coach for everything 

Yep, they showed a graphic on our offensive stats and were easily twice as good in every category except turnovers compared to last year

Yeah the offense is still one of like four teams to put up 20 or more every game this year 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

The sacks are on the linemen, that’s not what I’m arguing. Minshew coughs it up on every other sack. No other QB does that no matter where they are hit from. 

• Like 1

After calming down from the b.s ref calls, here are my thoughts

Good:

- Minshew rebounded a bit from the god awful Jags game. He still turned the ball over too much, but managed the game well overall

- JT is returning to form against a strong Browns D. Hope the progress continues

- Ballard hit hard with Downs. He, Pittman (if resigned) and one more blue chip WR should make a great group for AR going forward.

- The D played solidly overall. Cleveland has a very mediocre offense however, so that should have been expected.

Bad

- Missing Stewart means that some breakaway run plays are more likely to happen. Grover is an elite run stopper and his presence will be missed.

- Steichen is a good play caller, as evident with the point total vs the elite Browns D. However, he has moments where his situational awareness seems wild to me. Playing in your own goal line with Minshew as your QB, Freeland as the RT and Myles Garrett lined up across from him is just not a good scenario to pass the ball. Especially given that Minshew isn't that great at escaping or detecting pressure.

- Baker is awful. He was picked on by PJ Walker of all people. Now, those two flags called on him were super b.s, but doesn't take away the poor game he had. Losing Juju hurt.

-  We played better than the Browns, yet still lost. I hate those kind of games.

• Like 4

The one thing from this game that I’m worried about is Brent’s injury. He has been the one highlight in a very weak group, it’s gonna be hard to win games when our starting CBs are Baker and Jones. That’s no offense to Jones too because as a 7th round rookie he’s playing way better than any 7th rounder is expected to play. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This year is NOTHING like last season.   

I agree.  I posted this comment in the gameday thread:

For several years now my husbands friends and colleagues continuously ask him "so is your wife still a Colts fan?"   His standard response is "She's trying but they're making it difficult".

Thats his "take" not mine.  I am a Colts fan through and through. It's not been the most pleasant for awhile but I will say we were at the stadium 2 weeks ago for the Titans game and that's the most fun Ive had at a game in a long time.  It felt like old times.

I thought for the most part they played well today too.  So having said that,  while I am disgusted with the officiating today, I am NOT disgusted with our team or our staff.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Or the two guys have you assigned to do it you know make an effort to do it.  The effort on that strip sack in the endzone was ridiculous.  With that Shane made the same mistake in the Ravens game that got a safety, he called a slow developing play and counted on the protection to hold up.   This isn’t Madden throwing out of your own endzone is not the time to take a shot down the field.

He did run it when we were backed up and got us to 3rd and 6 near the end of the game, but we ended up punting.

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The sacks are on the linemen, that’s not what I’m arguing. Minshew coughs it up on every other sack. No other QB does that no matter where they are hit from. 

How do you expect him to hold onto the ball when he’s literally throwing the ball and gets hit from behind? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Am I misunderstanding you?    Are you saying Pitt doesn’t win 50/50 balls or are you saying Pierce?    Because Pittman’s strength is winning 50/50 balls.   It’s one of his top qualities.   The Colts pointed that out the day he was drafted and he’s been doing it since he became a Colt. 

Yep, that was supposed to be a strength but is it?  I don't think he is a true #1 and will want paid like it.  I don't think he fit the system.  I think we will let him go to FA

And I'm feeling salty right now after the loss lol