Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who To Take At #34? [Mega merge]

SilentHill

There is not a way. People are viewing Freeney as this in-demand commodity when I am quite certain that potential trading partners don't hold him in nearly that high regard. He is aging, he has a healthy contract and he is one dimensional. Those are not facts that have teams lining up to part with quality picks in return.

It's like trying to pound a square peg into a tiny round hole, trying to get this through people's heads.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest question I have with Fleener, is he that much better than the other TEs or is it just because of where he played? If he is an excellent blocker and receiver than it might be worth it. But usually you can find solid TE talent in the 4th round.

Hes not a good blocker

We didn't have trouble running the ball until 2008. The first ten years of Manning's career, we were an above average running team.

Yes.... with Tarik Glenn and Jake Scott at LT and LG.

They both departed and we've sucked ever since and only addressed OT last year with, hopefully, Castonzo and Ijalana.

The job is far from finished and Cordy Glenn is the BPA here.... we should take him.

The one thing I have learned in watching the draft is I know nothing and the 4-5 publications I buy usually don't know anything either. For example, I remember Pat Angerer was rated a 4th or 5th round pick by my magazines, so I thought Polian reached. Of course, he was spot on.

So that said,I hope that pick is Fleener. But if he is not, then he must not be as highly thought of by Grigson as the media say.

Yes.... with Tarik Glenn and Jake Scott at LT and LG.

They both departed and we've sucked ever since and only addressed OT last year with, hopefully, Castonzo and Ijalana.

The job is far from finished and Cordy Glenn is the BPA here.... we should take him.

Yeah, we had a bunch of problems along the offensive line, between missed draft picks and injuries. I'm just saying that people keep saying that we could never run, and it's not true.

Yesterday on the NFL network it was mentioned that Fleener has above average blocking, so I will take their word for it over anyone here, no pun intended. I could see him bulking up a bit while maintaining speed, possibly improving his blocking to become good blocker and being one of the best receiving tight ends in the league. I'm sure him and Luck's work ethic would be epic in terms of them always working together, hopefully along with the rest of the receiving corps. I really hope they take Fleener but wouldn't be disappointed at all with Glen. No to Hill (I personally like Rueben) and absolutely have no clue on the SUPER high risk but high reward Jenkins. I'd be thrilled but yet face palming myself at the same time if they took Jenkins.

the top 5 bpa

1. Courtney Upshaw OLB

2. Cordy Glenn OL

3. Jonathen Martin OL

4. Coby Fleener TE

5. Stephen Hill WR

all 5 of those guys are great but fleener is a major need and hes by far best te in the draft. we can draft defense in the 3rd maybe trumaine johnson cb,tammu,nt, or janoris jenkins but we cant afford to pas on fleener

I'd be fine with Fleener, Glenn, or Upshaw.

if a bad team calls offering a 3rd this year and a 1st next year i think we should take it.

(or a 2nd this year and and 2nd next year. not really sure what fair value is?)

Edit: we aren't going to be good this year, so i don't care what the position as long as he can be a 10 year starter/ pro bowl type guy.

even if we don't "need" that position this year. (WR wasn't a need when we drafted Reggie)

What are the Rams needs? Do they need a TE?

I know they need OL. What about a pass rusher?

Or will they trade down again?

I think the Rams could use a tight end, but the point is that it can easily be argued that Fleener isn't BPA at #33 or #34. There are five or ten players who probably have higher ratings than him still on the board, and several of them fit our needs. I think drafting Fleener would be a reach. I have no doubt that he'll be a good player, but I think we'd be better off going nose tackle or receiver. Wouldn't mind Fleener, but it would be a "we fell in love with this pick" decision, not a "he's the best player there" pick.

It's like trying to pound a square peg into a tiny round hole, trying to get this through people's heads.

yep thats what I been stating from the start but nooooooooooooo some people contend we can get a 2nd or 3rd or rounder for him thats nuts

Not true at all. There are still guys like Allen and Charles. Teams are going to be looking to fill hole they truly need. OL, DB, and WR. Which we all need. Which teams needs a TE? The Giants? I don't see three TEs being picked this round so we have a shot at a still very good TE next round. Guys like Jenkins, Hill, and Glenn won't be there. You need to fill core positions first. TE isn't at the top of "core" position. I would take a RB, which we need, over a TE.

You are holding out hope for 2 guys who on many draft boards are rated significantly less than Fleener. I like Jenkins but he has way too many off the field issues to be taken at 34 if Fleener is still there. The Giants have already passed on Fleener and have signed a TE in F/A. We don't need a RB either. You really don't know whats wrong with this team if you think RB is a pressing need, no offense.

We didn't have trouble running the ball until 2008. The first ten years of Manning's career, we were an above average running team.

We must have been watching different playoff games????

2002 Playoffs. Colts gain 52 yards Jets 180 yards Colts lose

2003 Playoffs Colts gain 98 yards Pats 112 yards Colts lose

2004 Playoffs Colts gain 46 yards Pats 210 yards Colts lose

2005 missed playoffs

2006 won SB..... When we actually ran well

2007 Playoffs Colts gain 44 yards Chargers 99 Colts lose

2008 Playoffs Colts gain 64 yards Chargers 167 Colts lose

2010 Playoffs Colts gain 93 yards Jets 169 Colts lose

When i look at this list....... We were SO close SO many years...

Great teams.... But when it counted....

We couldnt run, or stop the run......

Lets make this time different and DO IT RIGHT

With such a glaring hole at the TE position ... yes we sure have quite a few others...I just don't see them NOT taking Fleener. I really would like to see us trade up to grab another player within 2-3 picks of our 2nd round pick...somehow some way.

Also...I think the instant chemistry of Fleener and Luck just may to prove to be invaluable...having Wayne and Fleener who are well trusted (for different reasons) may also prove to be invaluable for Luck.

But I'd like to see some O-Line and more defensive players drafted also. I predict that we go mostly defense from the 3rd round on...

I can't help but wonder if people would be more inclined to want to draft Fleener if we called him a 6'6", 245lb. WR who runs a 4.45 40, bench presses 225 27 times, has a 37 inch vertical and a broad jump of 10+ feet and who averaged nearly 20YPC last year while bringing in 10 TD's.

I can't help but wonder if people would be more inclined to want to draft Fleener if we called him a 6'6", 245lb. WR who runs a 4.45 40, bench presses 225 27 times, has a 37 inch vertical and a broad jump of 10+ feet and who averaged nearly 20YPC last year while bringing in 10 TD's.

Dallas Clark – 6’4”, 257, mid 4.5 speed

Coby Fleener – 6’6”, 247, mid 4.4 speed

When will the second round begin?

I would love to get Cordy Glenn. Another obvious choise is Coby Fleener, but Andrew made him better. He's not great at blocking, nor good. I would worry a bit if they gambled on Janoris Jenkins, but when he steps on the field, I think I would really like seeing him knocking out WRs.

If they really wanna beef up that D, they should go with Courtney Upshaw, he's a big prospect, and could turn really great.

1. Cordy Glenn, he will DAMAGE people in front of him, and in order to succeed in Play Action, a good running game is a must.

2. Janoris Jenkins, take the risk, make him swallow his past and make him a great CB!

3. OLB Courtney Upshaw, create the monster D.

4. TE Coby Fleener, he's got good route running abilities, and is more of a catch- than blocking TE. He would give Andrew a weapon over the middle.

And they're all 1st round material. We all knew it would happen, but it's great!

I've watched his games. What I've seen is someone who should be wide open and should have more incontested receptions because of his speed and size. What I've seen are balls that seem like amazing catches that should've been hohum, and bat-aways that should have been catches if he ran he correct routes and positioned himself correctly.

I can see how you see that. But personally I chalk that up as poor QB play. The QB throws up ducks on a consistent basis. I always notice that Hill is waiting on the ball opposed to going and get it. Plus we all saw what Mike Wallace did in Arians system. Hill can be that guy. This is of course only if the Rams take Glenn, otherwise colts would be smart to * him up before anyone else gets a chance.

In Order:

1. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

2. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

3. Cordy Glenn, OG/OT, Georgia

4. Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

5. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

Overall, I would be very happy if Colts drafted one of these prospects.

In Order:

1. Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford

2. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

3. Cordy Glenn, OG/OT, Georgia

4. Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech

5. Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama

Overall, I would be very happy if Colts drafted one of these prospects.

I think I've got the same 1-4, though I'd probably put a gap between Upshaw and Glenn.

I think the Rams could use a tight end, but the point is that it can easily be argued that Fleener isn't BPA at #33 or #34. There are five or ten players who probably have higher ratings than him still on the board, and several of them fit our needs. I think drafting Fleener would be a reach. I have no doubt that he'll be a good player, but I think we'd be better off going nose tackle or receiver. Wouldn't mind Fleener, but it would be a "we fell in love with this pick" decision, not a "he's the best player there" pick.

I dont disagree really. I think there's a outside chance we can get Upshaw or Glenn then Fleener with our 2nd, rd2 pick. I agree to take the best available but don't ignore our needs either. Remember Fleener is still the best TE available, is a perfect fit for Luck, and TEs like him make for explosive offenses.

I dont disagree really. I think there's a outside chance we can get Upshaw or Glenn then Fleener with our 2nd, rd2 pick. I agree to take the best available but don't ignore our needs either. Remember Fleener is still the best TE available, is a perfect fit for Luck, and TEs like him make for explosive offenses.

Que?

I have to say I am a bit tempted having Devon Still, still on the board. I know he and Worthy are both more 4-3 guys but after years of dreaming about getting quality DT's in the draft it is hard to get out of my system.

Having said that, safest pick with as big an upside as anyone else available IMO is Glenn.

Castonzo-Rietz?- Satele-Glenn-Ijalana- is a line that could do great things for many years.