Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pierce

compuls1v3

He had 2 catches on 2 targets, and had 28 yards, and did his job blocking on run plays.  Not sure why he's not getting more looks, but I don't think plays are being designed for him right now.  Mallory at 2 catches on 2 targets for 49 yards, and Cox for 1 catch on 1 target for 15 yards, were the two other players that had better averages than Pierce.

• Like 1

Pierce is the new Granson.    Not liked or appreciated and constantly disrespected by this community.   

It astounds me how few posters here know what a good rookie season Pierce had.  He might as well be in the Witness Protection Program.  

Last year, Pierce had 41 catches for 594 yards.  A 14.5 average per catch.   Numbers Pittman has never come close to.   And he was a rookie.   This year, he’s getting the red headed step child treatment that Granson got last year and the first 6 months of this of this year.  

Pierce should be fine.   Pierce should get better, unless this community thinks Reggie Wayne can’t coach?   It’s a long season and I expect more opportunities for him. 

People here have been telling me Pierce had a disappointing training camp.   Except Stephen Holder, who is with the team every day says the opposite.  That he had a good training camp.   Funny how falsehoods get latched on to and become accepted wisdom around here.   Sigh….

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pierce is the new Granson.    Not liked or appreciated and constantly disrespected by this community.   

It astounds me how few posters here know what a good rookie season Pierce had.  He might as well be in the Witness Protection Program.  

Last year, Pierce had 41 catches for 594 yards.  A 14.5 average per catch.   Numbers Pittman has never come close to.   And he was a rookie.   This year, he’s getting the red headed step child treatment that Granson got last year and the first 6 months of this of this year.  

Pierce should be fine.   Pierce should get better, unless this community thinks Reggie Wayne can’t coach?   It’s a long season and I expect more opportunities for him. 

People here have been telling me Pierce had a disappointing training camp.   Except Stephen Holder, who is with the team every day says the opposite.  That he had a good training camp.   Funny how falsehoods get latched on to and become accepted wisdom around here.   Sigh….

AR seems to like Granson as well. He was throwing to him yesterday when he got a chance.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pittman hasn't come close to which number?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AR seems to like Granson as well. He was throwing to him yesterday when he got a chance.

There is a reason they say RBs and TEs are a rookie QB's best friend, add the underneath slot WRs to that too. The game is fast for them and they have been told to get rid of the ball quickly at the NFL level for pass plays. So, there is a good chance rookie QBs rush through things to play it safe and the beneficiaries are the underneath pass catchers. :) 

So, there is a good chance Pittman and Pierce won't have respectable numbers unless it is a pocket passer like Minshew throwing it to them more often. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You like using the disrespect phrase don't you? 

• Thanks 1

Here’s a thought and it’s just a thought…..perhaps it’s our rookie QB that can’t get Pierce the ball yet…..meaning that as poised as he seems Pierce is the 3rd or 4th option as he scans the field - Pittman, Downs, Granson and then Pierce.

Game one he caught a shallow crosser from AR5 and both catches in game 2 were from GM10…….so a more experienced QB was able to scan the field more and found him open.

For those naysayers that says he’s a bust already - without using any search engine tell me who’s stat line is who’s after their rookie year wearing a horseshoe…..

64 - 836 - 8

27 - 345 - 0

37 - 576 - 3

60 - 676 - 7

40 - 503 - 1

41 - 593 - 2

I’ll give you a clue - those six are Batman, Pittman, Marvin, Collie, Gonzalez and Pierce - not in that order.

So as the great Aaron Rodgers would say R - E - L - A - X

Give AR5 time to get comfortable in the pocket enough to look farther than 20 yards down the field.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

True, but is he not getting targeted because he's not getting open? Hard to say unless we go back and watch the tape, paying attention to AP on every play.  

I went back and watched the 1st half and Pierce is getting open. I some cases they're sending him downfield and on longer routes that take time to develop, and the QB is just choosing to dunk the ball off for shorter completions. In other cases, the QB simply doesn't notice that Pierce is open. For example, in the 2nd quarter, with 2 minutes left, the Colts have 2nd and 4 at the Colts 49 yard line and Minshew doesn't see that Pierce is wide open on the leftside of the field. 

I don't think the issue is that he can't get open. I think he tends to run longer routes that take time to develop, and that it's just a matter of time before his production improves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

He had 2 catches on 2 targets, and had 28 yards, and did his job blocking on run plays.  Not sure why he's not getting more looks, but I don't think plays are being designed for him right now.  Mallory at 2 catches on 2 targets for 49 yards, and Cox for 1 catch on 1 target for 15 yards, were the two other players that had better averages than Pierce.

I think they are playing it safe with mostly short stuff right now which is seemingly  limiting  pierce and to some degree Pittman's production so far

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I’ve been thinking the whole AP situation could be down to what AR’s been told to do. I know he needs to take a deep shot to an open receiver, but if he’s been told to read1, read2 then run or throw it away he may not get to AP all that often. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’ve been thinking the whole AP situation could be down to what AR’s been told to do. I know he needs to take a deep shot to an open receiver, but if he’s been told to read1, read2 then run or throw it away he may not get to AP all that often. 

But minshew didn't  really take any deep shots to pierce either so who knows

I'm glad AR is working on mostly underneath stuff since that is what he struggled with. That will only make him better. 

Besides, Jags D is set up to take away deep throws. 

I think Pierce is being used to clear out defenders (like T.Y. did quite a bit) so he will get his chance sooner or later. Hopefully he gets back to his old self catching those long throws that AR is so good at . 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I’d need to see coaches tape to tell if guys are getting open or not. He hasn’t been thrown to much, but that doesn’t mean he’s not open. There’s only 1 football.. 

Yep, would be nice to see the all-22 film. 

Interestingly though, there seemed to suddenly be guys 'open' with Minshew in the 

game.

Unsurprisingly, I suspect that AR is not yet to the point where he's comfortable 

turning it loose to a guy that is 'NFL open' (barely open at all, if not just even with 

the DB with slight leverage in one direction and needs to be 'thrown open') vs 

'college open' (a yard or more).

Hopefully he'll get there soon.

Everyone look at Puka Nacua, the 5th round rookie on the Rams this year. Why can't Pierce do as well as him. Not to bash Downs, but why can't Downs do as well as him as a rookie? Why do all of our rookie WRs start off slow? Do we have poor drafting? Can Reggie Wayne not coach well? Why can teams repeatedly draft late round WRs that hit, and ours struggle their entire rookie contracts? 

The only real hit at WR from Ballard is Pittman. Otherwise, he sucks at drafting WRs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, indykmj said:

Interestingly though, there seemed to suddenly be guys 'open' with Minshew in the 

game.

Unsurprisingly, I suspect that AR is not yet to the point where he's comfortable 

turning it loose to a guy that is 'NFL open' (barely open at all, if not just even with 

watching Alec last year, he was feisty about catching the balls thrown his way, and goes to the football. I like that in a WR. 

I think you’re right about AR being unsure when a guy is open vs not. He will put it all together. He’s gotta let it fly at some point though to get a real feel for it. 

2 hours ago, indykmj said:

game.

What are you talking about? Prior to ARs injury, he was 5/6 throwing with 2 TD runs. Is that not a QB being efficient and finding "seemingly open" targets?

And even after his concussion he had a few good throws that just weren't caught (the out to Pitt and hook to Granson, just off the top of my head).