Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson is our guy

Lucky Colts Fan

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, AR surprised me with his pocket movement, in a good way, encouraging.

Yes, Pierce on the right side, whenever AR looked there, he rarely released it. Matt Ryan knew Pierce was good for jump balls mainly and got him those.

Remember that well thrown ball in preseason with Pierce going across the field and Pierce not coming down with the TD catch? Year 2 we should see Pierce learning the nuances of setting up DBs and catching more. He’s not running away from anybody at the NFL level, so they will play off only a little a bit and no double move possibilities because NFL DBs can recover. His game speed is slower than his timed speed is what I notice.

Just red zone jump balls and threading throws down the sidelines hoping he comes down with it or a few slants if they play off. He’s a few tricks pony at best. 

His route that got broken up around the end zone was very sad.

No attempt to set up the defender at all, casually rounded off. 

It's bewildering in year two.

I will rewatch the game to better observe the run blocking.

We sure weren't creating any gaps from Kelly, Fries, Smith.

And I would prefer that we move on from Jackson.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I focused on the O-Line.

#1 Josh Allen is a superb player for any RT to go up against.

He got his in this game.

You see a good amount of blitzes where their blitzers came in free.

AR made a number of good throws with them coming in his face,

and some rushed throws off target. These would be labeled throw aways by a Brady in some cases, but his strong arm had him still trying to get them there. 

DJackson got blown up once trying to pick up a blitzes, Raimann gave up a sack on a stunt, Smith gave up one easy sack, and another possibly when Allen caught AR from behind.

Bottom line,  Jax looked well prepared to defend our passing game, they blitzed effectively, but I would say AR was pretty good, well prepared for it.

He had a good pocket for his 3 step drop quicker throws. This is the base for the passing game so a solid first game in that area.

We have a Big Pierce problem. 

I think Ballard is seeing the Pierce problem as well.  I think that’s why he’s looking for a receiver in any potential Taylor trade.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

His route that got broken up around the end zone was very sad.

No attempt to set up the defender at all, casually rounded off. 

It's bewildering in year two.

I will rewatch the game to better observe the run blocking.

We sure weren't creating any gaps from Kelly, Fries, Smith.

And I would prefer that we move on from Jackson.

Fries pulled on AR’s touchdown and Pittman’s touchdown as well.  He delivered great blocks both times.  Moss should be an upgrade over Jackson.  Jackson is nothing special but he is 3rd on the depth chart for a reason.  

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

It will be a focus. We should start to see some different things as the season goes on. Yesterday was all about just making completions and building some confidence. As Anthony builds his foundation, we'll start to see him push it down the field more. Mid-range is very tough for rookies to work. It's often something that clicks during the 2nd and 3rd seasons as they are better able to read the defense. 

It also occurred to me later that AR always threw those a bit behind the receiver, so the issue could very well be that he is throwing to the spot they would have been in college, but since everyone in the NFL is faster he had to get accustomed to their speed out of the breaks.

If it’s just an issue of not being accustomed to the speed of the NFL then it's a very correctable issue.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

It also occurred to me later that AR always threw those a bit behind the receiver, so the issue could very well be that he is throwing to the spot they would have been in college, but since everyone in the NFL is faster he had to get accustomed to their speed out of the breaks.

If it’s just an issue of not being accustomed to the speed of the NFL then it's a very correctable issue.

His receivers in Florida were good, but not all world athletes. So yes it will take some time to get used to professional speed. We may not see that develop until next year. At this point I just want him to get a little better each game, and to not get hurt. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. All of the rookies lost. Reich got beat down by Atlanta. There’s 16 more games. Fans will panic (my Bengals friends and family are losing it) but the teams are moving on. 

The Bengals game was on TV. Joe Burrow looked abject. The biggest paid player in the league iirc. 

Week 1. 

All that matters for AR is that he keeps stacking games, and he reacts well to the mistakes that will come. So far so good. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The Bengals game was on TV. Joe Burrow looked abject. The biggest paid player in the league iirc. 

Week 1. 

All that matters for AR is that he keeps stacking games, and he reacts well to the mistakes that will come. So far so good. 

For his first game on the big stage, he did way better than what I was expecting. I figured he'd have a day more like what happened to Burrow. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

His game speed is slower than his timed speed is what I notice.

I didn't see much separation in college.  

Many of us didn't love the pick, but if used properly, Pierce can still help you.  Steichen should design some easy stuff to get him going.

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

For his first game on the big stage, he did way better than what I was expecting. I figured he'd have a day more like what happened to Burrow. 

100%.

Burrow looked exactly like what many expected AR to look like. Cleveland has a great defense but Cincy's run game, wide outs, O-line everything should have been better and it didnt look like it at all. Burrow was running for his life all day. Later in the day, Daniel Jones gave the same performance too. The NFL isn't easy...Richardson will get better too, the ceiling is limitless

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was not perfect yesterday and he was never going to be. Yesterday was exactly what people who know what they’re talking about has been saying it would be from the moment he was drafted. The upside is easy to see. But the rawness is too real to ignore. There’s going to be bad decisions. Bad throws. Stalled out drives. 

I think it’s fair to argue that he was well ahead of where many accused him of being yesterday. The most anti-Richardson contingent have spent months yammering on about how he’d never look that good at any point in his career, so we’re already well ahead of schedule by those claims. 

It’s going to take time, and days like yesterday illustrate why we’re making that investment in him. 

However I will admit, seeing him leave the game late and hearing he’s already dinged is not a fun feeling. We’ve paid our debt walking down that road, please for the love of all that is good don’t let us have to walk it again. :pokerface:

On 9/10/2023 at 12:54 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I just watched Anthony score his first NFL touchdown, celebrate with his guys, and head toward the sideline.

He was almost to the bench, gassed and ready to sit down, then you could tell he turned and went up and down the sideline thanking the guys that got him in the end zone.

That wasn’t coaching or a professional obligation. That was character. 

Richardson is going to be our guy based on his performances and his progress at the Colts QB. Not because he's a good guy or just because he's someone with high character. 

By all account, Jacoby Brissett was a great Colts teammate, earning the Colts Walter Payton Man of the Year nomination. But he was not our guy due to lack of performance as our QB.

I am happy that AR has great character. It's still yet to be determined if he's our guy or not, simply because he's a rookie and we haven't seen enough to evaluate him. Time will tell if he is our guy or not. Hopefully he is, but we can't make that determination based on his acts of kindness and high character, otherwise, Jacoby would have been our guy.

5 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

100%.

Burrow looked exactly like what many expected AR to look like. Cleveland has a great defense but Cincy's run game, wide outs, O-line everything should have been better and it didnt look like it at all. Burrow was running for his life all day. Later in the day, Daniel Jones gave the same performance too. The NFL isn't easy...Richardson will get better too, the ceiling is limitless

Yep, the NFL is pretty humbling. So if AR keeps his head down and they protect him and help him, he will continue to make more plays.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Waylon said:

He was not perfect yesterday and he was never going to be. Yesterday was exactly what people who know what they’re talking about has been saying it would be from the moment he was drafted. The upside is easy to see. But the rawness is too real to ignore. There’s going to be bad decisions. Bad throws. Stalled out drives. 

I think it’s fair to argue that he was well ahead of where many accused him of being yesterday. The most anti-Richardson contingent have spent months yammering on about how he’d never look that good at any point in his career, so we’re already well ahead of schedule by those claims. 

It’s going to take time, and days like yesterday illustrate why we’re making that investment in him. 

However I will admit, seeing him leave the game late and hearing he’s already dinged is not a fun feeling. We’ve paid our debt walking down that road, please for the love of all that is good don’t let us have to walk it again. :pokerface:

Well, he's looked better than the #1 and #2 picks.

On 9/10/2023 at 3:44 PM, EasyE said:

I want to ask this.

If Richardson shows a ton of improvement but Colts record is bad enough to take Caleb Williams.

What do Colts do?

Draft to build around a AR team or pick Caleb?

AR is going to get better IMO but fans are going to freak about the Losses.

I also say, Colts were not terrible today... Growing pains!!!

Three letters....

MHJ

On 9/10/2023 at 1:54 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I just watched Anthony score his first NFL touchdown, celebrate with his guys, and head toward the sideline.

He was almost to the bench, gassed and ready to sit down, then you could tell he turned and went up and down the sideline thanking the guys that got him in the end zone.

That wasn’t coaching or a professional obligation. That was character. 

Yeah but is he doing high knees on the team plane to motivate everyone? 

7 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Week 1. 

Burrow  was bad but Daniel Jones ouch that was rough

On 9/10/2023 at 7:30 PM, Dark Superman said:

He looked solid in his first-ever game against a very good Jaguars team. It's hard to win without a running attack and no elite players at the WR or TE spots. Chris Ballard needs to get aggressive and do whatever it takes to get talent around AR5. You literally have your QB and LT on their rookie deals. No excuses!

This is very true, good post.  All of our skill position players are still on their rookie deals, most importantly QB.  We SHOULD be able to overspend on a stud like the Dolphins are doing with Tyreek, but we cant because we are saddled with a few questionable contracts with players that are underperforming their payday. 

I honestly don't see a scenario where Leonard is a Colt next season at his current rate of production.  I get it, he is coming back from a lot of injuries over an extended period....but if he doesn't become even 80% of his former self on the field and quick-  I expect him gone, as we can afford to cut ties with him after this year. 

You can't all tell me that we could probably plug in Stuard instead of Leonard and our D would be better? Probably, but we still have to let Leonard find his sea legs.  The upside is immense if he can get back into form.