Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Position Group Are You The Most Concerned About Heading to Training Camp?

sb41champs

Yah as everyone else has stated we have two very clear and obvious answers here.

The Oline regressed last year into the worst performing and highest paid line in the league. Nothing has been done personnel wise to change it, so Ballard is basically saying that it was the coaches not the players. Lets hope he is right. At least AR can run lol.

With the inevitable release of Rodgers coming and Kenny Moore playing the slot. We are almost guaranteed to be starting two rookies on the outside. Or a rookie and Flowers?? lol either way its bad. 

Good thing is though nobody including Irsay and the FO has expectations this year, except maybe some delusional fans who think we can actually win the division. If it happens I will eat crow.

I honestly dont think its even in the thoughts of the coaches and FO right now. Its a season for the young players to grow and develop that is it.

• Like 2

Offensive Line - because they played so badly last year, can they rebound

Defensive Backs - because they're going to be relying on untried rookies from the start

Wide Receivers - because we don't know if our two 2nd-round starters are going to take the next step

Defensive Line - can they generate pressure and get sacks without Ngakue?

Running Backs - was 2021 a fluke?  or a repeatable goal?

Linebackers - will Leonard ever play up to his standards again?  ok, will Leonard ever play again at all?

Tight Ends - can we find an in-line blocker in the bunch?

Quarterbacks - Who is better?  The untried rookie with 13 games, or the veteran sparkplug backup?

Hmmm....  I seem to have mentioned EVERY POSITION GROUP except Kicker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WRs, followed by CBs.  

I really still fear for a lack of potency in the passing game.  Going to be crucially important for Alex Pierce to make a HUGE jump in year two and for the rook, Josh Downs, to be the impactful playmaker that a Parris Campbell was supposed to be, but never was. I am quite high on the Colts TE grouping, though, so hopefully they can also emerge as viable threats in the passing game.

• Like 1

We certainly have multiple units that have concerns to say the least......OL....Secondary....WR.....

Despite bad seasons the last two seasons and a rookie QB wirh a marginal talented career backup qb I not going to say the OL, but obviously its a huge concern and could once again spell disaster for the QBs and team.

I'm actually going to say in a passing league the greenness of the secondary followed by a modest receiving Corp even if they remain healthy. 

Along with other potential trouble spots it certainly isn't stellar roster building, especially going with and trying to develop a rookie QB.

But hey, were looking Darn Good at the kicking position. haha

• Like 3

For me, it’s us fans…….

Are we going to implode at the first sign of rookie growing pains?

Are we going to see the talent of Brents, Rush and Jones even though the blown coverages and typical rookie mistakes?

Are we going to stay positive and trust in the process/culture that the new coaches are trying to instill in the locker room?

Are we going to rock the dome in full support up 10 points and down 10 points?

After all, if the coaches work their tails off with the players the front office provides them we can cheer our tails off supporting them as well!

• Like 1

Hmmm?   I’m thinking!   Hmmm?

I would have to say….I whole section that has at least 3 (three)  opportunities to score :thmup:

Maybe, the athletic trainer should have the offense do way more cardio, more weight training and nutrition improvements than before:bossy:

So, I narrow it down to the offensive line:cheer2::banana::hissy::yahoo:

Go OL!

IMG_2528.jpeg

Considering we have a brand new rookie QB, I'd say I'm most concerned about the play of the O-line group.

If they do their job then it obviously helps AR. If they resemble anything like last year, AR's learning curve will be even more pronounced - and that hurts the rest of the team as well.

Before the hiring of Steichen and the draft I would have said O-line. I think his offensive scheme will be very friendly to them and we'll see a pretty big improvement, even with a rookie. For me, that leaves the secondary as our weakest unit. Rodgers likely being gone as well as questionable safety play have me worried. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

DE

Paye is always missing time, Odeyingbo hasn’t broken out yet, and I’m not sure what Ebukam will bring as the “top” edge rusher on this time. Say what you want about his run defense but Ngauke got to the QB.

I don't believe Ngauke had a sufficient tally of hits and hurries to offset his lack of attention to run defense. Yes Gus's D had him racing to the QB, doing that, he needed better #'s at everything. 

On 6/24/2023 at 10:36 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Offensive line and the new OL coach. 

I’ll be somewhat skeptical until they give me reason not to be. 

I agree because the amount of money and capital we have invested in this Oline. Plus many a young Qb has never developed because  of  getting hit early and often in their career. U give Richardson some protection and it will greatly enhance his ability to become a competent qb. You get him killed and you will never know what he could have been.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 3:53 PM, SOMDColtsfan said:

Singular? After last year? QB..A lot of hype but until have seen with own eyes..still the most important position..QB

Easily my biggest concern and it’s not close.

what concerns me is not AR.  He may or may not be good.  But that’s no different than any other team.  With few notable exceptions, drafting QBs with any pick is a crap shoot even high 1st rounders.

my concern is CB’s seeming tendency to over value his own draftees and Rockin Jimmy’s meddling.  

I hope AR is good he very well could develop that way.  I have no idea of what any QB will do in The League let alone this young inexperienced kid whose CFB team had no success.  The potential stardom is clear from a raw talent standpoint.

But if not, I have little faith in management moving on when it’s appropriate.

We will be bad this year in all likelihood.  If AR isn’t legit, we will be really bad for the next 3 or so seasons.  We should have high picks if that’s the case though.  I’d much rather be bad for a few years and have a chance to draft impact talent with high picks than be a 6-9 win team like we have for most of a decade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

what concerns me is not AR.  He may or may not be good.  But that’s no different than any other team.  With few notable exceptions, drafting QBs with any pick is a crap shoot even high 1st rounders.

my concern is CB’s seeming tendency to over value his own draftees and Rockin Jimmy’s meddling.  

I hope AR is good he very well could develop that way.  I have no idea of what any QB will do in The League let alone this young inexperienced kid whose CFB team had no success.  The potential stardom is clear from a raw talent standpoint.

We will be bad this year in all likelihood.  If AR isn’t legit, we will be really bad for the next 3 or so seasons.  We should have high picks if that’s the case though.  I’d much rather be bad for a few years and have a chance to draft impact talent with high picks than be a 6-9 win team like we have for most of a decade.

Agree. I keep flip flopping on AR and what the Colts will be this year. "IF" he's anything close to the potential experts say he could be and does so quicker than anybody expects? That gets me excited! "IF" he's the inexperienced, non accurate passer others are projecting it could be a long year. The Colts will only go as far as QB/AR can take them.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 6:11 PM, John Hammonds said:

Offensive Line - because they played so badly last year, can they rebound

Defensive Backs - because they're going to be relying on untried rookies from the start

Wide Receivers - because we don't know if our two 2nd-round starters are going to take the next step

Defensive Line - can they generate pressure and get sacks without Ngakue?

Running Backs - was 2021 a fluke?  or a repeatable goal?

Linebackers - will Leonard ever play up to his standards again?  ok, will Leonard ever play again at all?

Tight Ends - can we find an in-line blocker in the bunch?

Quarterbacks - Who is better?  The untried rookie with 13 games, or the veteran sparkplug backup?

Hmmm....  I seem to have mentioned EVERY POSITION GROUP except Kicker.

i agree the whole team is a big if including the rookie head coach

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Nickster said:

delayed gratification !!!!

On 7/4/2023 at 3:47 PM, DEFENSE said:

delayed gratification !!!!

It’s funny but even though CB is still GM, we are in classic delayed gratification mode with what we have on the roster.

The org should be looking forward to 2025 or so with the raw rookie QB IMO.

• Like 1