Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Isaiah Rodgers being investigated for gambling policy infractions ((MERGE))

CR91

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah it would make me mad if he bet against the Colts, because then he could have been throwing plays or having a lack of effort to lose games for profit. The Vikings game could be a possibility if he played (I'd have to look at his PFF score and stats). If it's 100s of bets though with many being on or against the Colts, then I wouldn't want him on the team anymore. He's likely to throw a game if possible for a big payday or point shave and I would hate that as a fan.

I think that is a very good point! I had not thought too much about it. Did he play in the Vikings game?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, w87r said:

I know a few of the Lions had said that.

I don't really buy it though, with such stiff consequences, teams are sure to be pumping this info into players. Signs everywhere.

Rules are simple, can't bet on NFL games at all, and can't bet on anything while at the facility.

Not that hard to comprehend that, trying to use ignorance as an excuse won't go very well for these players.

Right.

According to McAfee, this is absolutely well known amongst players. 

When the Lions players were suspended he talked about how there are signs in the locker room regarding sports betting. I guess these guys dont think they should even have to read.

Regardless, it isnt the leagues job to hold their hand. These guys are supposed to be 1) Adults and 2) Professionals 

It's just common sense. How do you not know that betting on games you play in is a no no? It threatens the integrity of the sport. 

I mean, I know this, and its not even my profession. 

• Like 2

Just now, w87r said:

Yes, he had 6tkls 1PD and a FR

Did he have many missed tackles? Were there plays where someone would say, "What was Rodgers doing on that play?" ? You could always check out the game thread. (Just kidding)

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Did he have many missed tackles? Were there plays where someone would say, "What was Rodgers doing on that play?" ? You could always check out the game thread. (Just kidding)

Yeah, idk?

Think the whole team was tanking that 2nd half. I know I was wanting to lose. Lol.

Like has been said a few times in this now very long thread.

Could be a shaving points thing.

Rodgers could get compromised and blackmailed to where it didn't even matter what he bet.

He could of helped someone else get a big payday, for them not exposing his secret.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Could be a shaving points thing.

Rodgers could get compromised and blackmailed to where it didn't even matter what he bet.

He could of helped someone else get a big payday, by them not exposing his secret.

All true. That is why gambling on games is not allowed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If it's 100s of bets though with many being on or against the Colts, then I wouldn't want him on the team anymore. 

100s of bets on general bets, only few on Colts games per the initial article in first post, whether that's really the case would be determined by the investigation.

35 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

By admitting an "error in judgement", it means that the NFL has proof that he gambled on games. He can't get out of that.

As in the earlier discussion, one NFL agent told his client , an NFL player, not to volunteer that he has bet on NFL games  but if there's an investigation, they likely have evidence already and asked his client to be honest with the league when inquired. 

So, at this point, NFL doesn't need Rodgers' statement as evidence, they'd already have incriminating evidence. It doesn't matter how his statement comes across now. It matters if he co-operate with the league, take the punishment and live to see if he could be reinstated later. That's all he could do.

59 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Sadly, gambling on games may likely result in permanent loss of income from the NFL. He may not play again.

What I don't understand in all of this is how do NFL teams have not etched in players' mins already that they shouldn't do any betting of any kind or manner or through an acquaintance on NFL games.

If all NFL franchises have already educated players and if all NFL player agents have already advised on not betting at all, and if NFLPA has already communicated with players enough on this, and after all that, if some of these NFL players still engage in these activities, it's more than an error of judgement for sure and the players have only themselves to blame. 

7 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

I am assuming the closest precedence we have to this for reference is Ridley's situation.

When Ridley had his suspension, he was heading into the final year of his rookie deal as well (although for him it was his 5th year option. But still similar).

In Ridley's case, he did not get paid for that 2022 season and the contract deferred so that his final season was then upon reinstatement (which is now this coming 2023 season). 

So, my guess would be that once the league rules on if he is suspended and for how long, that contract of his will defer until he is reinstated (when or if that is) and the Colts would hold his rights for that final coming year whenever it is.

That being said, his $2.743M remaining year on his contract only has like $36K in dead money if he is cut. So, the Colts could feasibly cut him at any time during this process and just handle that tiny cap acceleration now and be done with it.

I imagine this will all come down to what the final details are and how significant the league deems the suspension as being worthy of. 

I feel pretty confident it will likely be one of those "indefinite suspensions" with a minimum duration.

Likely more than that minimum 1-year duration that Ridley and some of the Lions' players got recently if all the details and extent of the wagers are accurate.

Really sucks for this kid. He has so much promise and potential and it was his time to shine. 

He made the most of his opportunity when you consider that he is really truly not the prototypical Ballard type of long, lengthy CB.

He just balled out and made plays when he had the chance and was finally getting his true opportunity. Tough break, but hard to really feel bad when he admittedly did stuff that everyone had to know they couldn't do with the league's recent sternness on the issue. Oof. 

Not a “tough break” in any fashion.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There's ultimate team on the Madden games where you can build a team of players through Madden cards of players rated up to 99. You can earn coins to buy packs based on different modes of play and playing other people, but to compete with the best, you have to spend real money to get your team up to the 90s in a timely matter or you'll just be outmatched. 

It's not technically gambling besides buying packs, but it's pay to win in a way.

Yeah, online games have turned out to be harvest of real money from people in a multitude of ways. They're not necessarily gambling, but once you get interested in these games, you've got to pay at higher levels and get to do more exciting stuff in return.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

As I said earlier, I'm not going to go deeper like that, but as someone said above, possibly @Jared Cisneros, it's easy for players to lose intensity in their games to make plays at the highest level, when these players start betting on their own games and for their teams to lose or score fewer points or whatever.

We watch sports because we get to see athletes of highest form play against each other at the highest level possible at their point in career, and that competitiveness makes a day for the fans of the sport. Betting by players reduce that to a mockery.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Not a “tough break” in any fashion.

Not disagreeing with your sentiment. Since i clearly stated it's hard to feel bad for him after what he did right after i said that. 

That being said i meant "tough break" in the literal definition of the idiom. As in "An adverse circumstance resulting in misfortune or hardships". 

I totally get if you are focusing on the "bad luck" type of aspect of it then there isn't any tough break in any fashion. 

That was not my intent w the statement. Clearly, luck had nothing to do with this. It was all stupidity and defiance as it appears currently. 

Just clearing up that I am in no way, shape or form justifying or saying "poor Rodgers" in this case. This is his own doing and he deserves whatever punishment he gets. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Not disagreeing with your sentiment. Since i clearly stated it's hard to feel bad for him after what he did right after i said that. 

That being said i meant "tough break" in the literal definition of the idiom. As in "An adverse circumstance resulting in misfortune or hardships". 

I totally get if you are focusing on the "bad luck" type of aspect of it then there isn't any tough break in any fashion. 

That was not my intent w the statement. Clearly, luck had nothing to do with this. It was all stupidity and defiance as it appears currently. 

Just clearing up that I am in no way, shape or form justifying or saying "poor Rodgers" in this case. This is his own doing and he deserves whatever punishment he gets. 

I think your previous post was very clear. It was clear that you were not condoning the behavior.

I agree with you. It is disappointing that this guy made this decision to gamble and as a result, he will lose a lot. He also won't be available to help his team.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Um...his only missed tackle occurred in that MIN game.

He also allowed 107 yards and 2 TDs (26.8 yds/catch) for a 119.6 passer rating. 75 of those 107 yards came on YAC. 

You better believe people are going back and looking at that film.

• Nadine changed the title to Isaiah Rodgers being investigated for gambling policy infractions ((MERGE))
2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Um...his only missed tackle occurred in that MIN game.

He also allowed 107 yards and 2 TDs (26.8 yds/catch) for a 119.6 passer rating. 75 of those 107 yards came on YAC. 

You better believe people are going back and looking at that film.

Yikes!

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yikes!

Yikes is right.

(2:15 4Q): He was lined up against Cook on that game-winning TD. Just kind of hangs around and then eventually chases him down and misses the tackle. 

(5:30 4Q): The other TD was when Thielen was wide open. I don't know if it was him or Blackmon, but both missed their assignments.

This game does look a bit sketchy on second view.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yikes is right.

(2:15 4Q): He was lined up against Cook on that game-winning TD. Just kind of hangs around and then eventually chases him down and misses the tackle. 

(5:30 4Q): The other TD was when Thielen was wide open. I don't know if it was him or Blackmon, but both missed their assignments.

Maybe he was told to play bad on purpose so we could get a high pick

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Maybe he was told to play bad on purpose so we could get a high pick

Who knows. But I will say this. That 2H of that MIN game should at least raise some eyebrows now that we have this information. It was a historical comeback.

Rodgers was pretty bad in that 2H, especially on the Cook and Thielen TDs. But it wasn't just him either. Gilmore only allowed 2 TDs last season...both in that 2H. 

23 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

(2:15 4Q): He was lined up against Cook on that game-winning TD. Just kind of hangs around and then eventually chases him down and misses the tackle

I just looked at that. It seems that there were many missed tackles by many players on that Cook TD. I don't know if I would blame only Rodgers for that. (Also, it was not a game-winning TD. The Vikes needed a 2-point play from Cousins to Hockenson to tie it.)

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Well it doesn’t look good on these high character players in the locker room that we are supposed to have. Sad

Most of the players on every team in the league have high character players. Just because occasionally, you may have 1 or 2 players break the rules or the law doesn't have anything to do with the 99% of others on the team. The Patriots had players like Aaron Hernandez but that had nothing to do with the other 99% of their players.

1 or 2 rotten eggs doesn't mean the team isn't high character overall. You rarely ever read about any of our players in trouble with the law.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

He could bet on the Colts but do things to hurt the team to keep the score within a certain point spread. Not being snarky but I don’t see how that’s hard to understand. Let’s say he drops a pick 6 on 3rd down to keep the Colts within the spread, but he can’t know that the opponent will score on the punt return. He purposely blows a coverage and puts added pressure on the other DBs and makes them look bad on a given play. He purposely commits a penalty and that makes the DB coach look bad. He allows TDs, and the Colts defensive numbers look worse so the DC looks worse. Honestly asking—you don’t see how betting on a game, even for the Colts, could affect other players/coaches like this? If you don’t, that’s cool, but it seems obvious. These are all hypotheticals of course but this is a discussion board. 

If he's betting "ON" the Colts , why would he drop a pick 6 ? Are you trying to say that he might play badly to make the team look bad and thus get more points in the following week's game. The guy was fighting for a staring job and he's going to do that stuff you mention to get a better point spread on the following week's game ? That's crazy and no I don't see the possibility of that happening . If he's betting on the colts , he would never do anything to take points away in a game ? It doesn't make sense and if it doesn't make sense , it's pretty unlikely it's true. Not to insult you , but you don't seem to know about point spreads and how betting really works. No big deal on that but why in the world would a guy betting $50 a game do things career ending things you describe . You could say he was being bribed but that is really a long shot also.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yikes is right.

Yeah he was blowing the game to collect on a $100 bet. If he bet against the colts and it was a sizable bet , then people will look at the film.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, w87r said:

Maybe he bet on them to lose?

Given that the secondary gave up lots of plays in the 4th quarter, it raises too many eyebrows. Hopefully he is the only Colts player involved.

This is a stain that can't be easily removed, I am afraid to say. If he is out of the league, then so be it, and am glad we double dipped for the secondary this draft.

Even winning $100K is not worth it for me when I could make millions doing things the right way. There is no way his gambling winnings could have been in the millions, I hope not because that would mean more folks were involved.

• Like 3

If he bet against the Colts,  he should get a sizeable suspension and be cut immediately. 

If he was just making NBA bets or similar from the facility,  I think he made a pretty bone headed decision,  but not a big deal IMO.  He will get some kind of suspension.  His career will continue. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Given that the secondary gave up lots of plays in the 4th quarter, it raises too many eyebrows. Hopefully he is the only Colts player involved.

This is a stain that can't be easily removed, I am afraid to say. If he is out of the league, then so be it, and am glad we double dipped for the secondary this draft.

I really would hope he wasn't betting on us to lose in games he played in, over chump change at that. That means he could have easily played lethargic on purpose. Better that this is being found out now than mid-way through next season if he was doing that.

Its a gambling addiction, that many bets in a season is excessive.  

I dont think hes throwing games for 25$ bets, a second contract as a starter would be worth a lot more.

If we want to question if anyone threw a game we should be looking at Rodneys dropped int(which no one is even mad about now lol)

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I just looked at that. It seems that there were many missed tackles by many players on that Cook TD. I don't know if I would blame only Rodgers for that. (Also, it was not a game-winning TD. The Vikes needed a 2-point play from Cousins to Hockenson to tie it.)

You are correct...it was a game-tying TD.

That play was definitely not all on Rodgers. But his effort was questionable at best. But the rest of the secondary was brutal as well. Thomas just whiffs the head-on tackle and McLeod is jogging after Cook. 

Then watch the two-point conversion right after that. They (Rodgers, Franklin and McLeod) triple-team Jefferson on the right, which leaves Cook wide open in the flat. He would have walked in if Cousins had looked his way...the defenders didn't even react to him.

In that game, the Colts defense went from an insane -1.046 EPA in the 1H to a +.285 EPA in the 2H. Some of that is driven by how teams play with big leads, but that type of variance is almost unbelievable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yeah he was blowing the game to collect on a $100 bet. If he bet against the colts and it was a sizable bet , then people will look at the film.

Just because there wasn't a big bet on whatever app doesn't mean there wasn't a big bet somewhere. But we do know there was betting of some kind. They are going to absolutely investigate if he was betting on games he was playing in and they should.

So Marcus Peter's is still available right? From what I've read he is not really a scheme fits, but he's a vet that can play at a high level and we have zero veteran presence now in the corner back room. Peter's would be able to show the young blood some tricks of the trade, and not just have us rely on rookies.

18 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Captain Kirk GIF by Star Trek- that Hockenson is damn good the Captain says.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He may have been playing the spread 

16 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If he bet against the Colts,  he should get a sizeable suspension and be cut immediately. 

If he was just making NBA bets or similar from the facility,  I think he made a pretty bone headed decision,  but not a big deal IMO.  He will get some kind of suspension.  His career will continue. 

I think it's being reported that he had DID bet on IND games. But we don't know the details.

I don't know why he would have been betting on the Colts to win last year. They were a bad team. Maybe he was betting them to cover spreads.

IF he bet against the Colts, this story could get so much worse. For now, all we know is he was involved. But that could change.

I doubt the NFL or the Colts would allow that info to get out there though.  Just too much money at stake, so somebody would have to leak it.