Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Isaiah Rodgers being investigated for gambling policy infractions ((MERGE))


CR91

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, w87r said:

He started 9 of 13 games(2 other games he played he had no defensive snaps to rate, just SPT), 69% of games, and had increased reps prior to starting. 

 

The other 4 games he got CB snaps, he played in (51%, 47%, 44%, 38%) of defensive snaps. Not like he was out here playing 10 snaps against the #4 WR, usually he was lined up outside on the teams #1/#2 on the snaps he played.

 

Just took to long for Bradley to play him in front of his guy Facyson.

I didnt say he was a bad player.

 

But if you asked him to do all the things the Colts ask Kenny to do, he would be a disaster.

 

All Im saying is you cant look at a PFF rating to determine who the better player is. The best player is always asked to do more on the field. They are always asked to do the hardest jobs. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

RYS is still out there? Maybe he signed somewhere and I missed

He signed 6 million dollar deal with Ravens for a year, so he will be a free agent only after next season.

 

9 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

 

Agree on the thinking, can be more than one..

Disagree that Rodgers will not be deeply missed, he was a top 10 CB PFF last year and without Gilly, by far our best CB on roster (the others are maily rookies).

To be really honest, he being out without one of the rookies clearly overdelivering early, will have a similiar impact than Pitt out, my opinion.

Yeah, rookie CBs apart from few elite every year take time to get better. This season will be rough for the Colts pass defense probably.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, shasta519 said:

 

Well there won't be suspicion if we find out that he didn't bet against the Colts. But if we do, it could get ugly. That's all I have been saying. 

There will be suspension for betting, whether Rodgers bet for or against the Colts. Like in the Jameson Williams suspension stated above.

 

Considering that he bet on some Colts games if true, there will be definitely a suspension coming, up to a year or more depending on the severity.

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

 

 

That said , I just thought that this had all the earmarks of a stupid kid that was in the habit of betting sports. Probably started in college ? 

 

Yes, looks like a pattern forming among the college players coming into the league (Jameson and Lions players), that they seem to be allowed to bet on college games even while playing in college football? Suddenly, they come to NFL, and they either don't read rules carefully or can't come out of the habit or they try to bet through an acquaintance to continue the habit. 

 

Just a thought. Maybe, college football needs to take out this betting habit from players at root level onwards?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dw49 said:

 

If he was stupid enough to bet against the Colts , he will probably receive a suspension that will be for life or one that has no stated ending. That would include the Colt games he did not play in also. Just my opinion there.

 

Let's face it , he's has to get at least a year when you consider the precedents that have already been set. Unless there are some really significant things we don't know about the Lion players or Ridley , how could he not get at least a year. The smallish bets won't play into it as common sense would tell us. The rule is no betting NFL games and it doesn't mention bet size. 

That said , I just thought that this had all the earmarks of a stupid kid that was in the habit of betting sports. Probably started in college ? Thus I didn't buy into all the theories that were being thrown out there in this thread. I no doubt came down hard on you and by the respectfulness I see in your post , I think I glossed over the fact that you're a good guy or girl. For that you have my apologies. 

Yeah, the problem is even if the league wanted to be sympathetic to Rodgers they can't because they have set an example to other players that's just the way it has to be. He Rodgers is a big loss to our defense but I'm not predicting us to be that good this year anyway with a rookie QB. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, stitches said:

 

 

Jameson Williams got suspended for 6 games for this. 


Yes the rules are stringent. The league has said as much. Terms like “zero tolerance” usually mean, well, zero tolerance. And they’ve continued to demonstrate that. 
 

Ignorance is not an excuse. If it’s something they were able to suspend him for then it was clearly something they had communicated beforehand. Someone just flat missing on the uptake doesn’t get a free pass. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, stitches said:

 

 

Jameson Williams got suspended for 6 games for this. 

How does that Tweeter tell that only 10% of NFL players would know this?

 

NFL teams, NFLPA, NFL player agents and the league communication must have been sent multiple times to all the players that they shouldn't gamble in team facilities and it should also have been communicated properly that they shouldn't do the same while on business trips, such as staying in team hotels. 

 

If that's not communicated properly yet, teams and the league are not communicating well.

 

But, as the rest of 90% players haven't been doing this, I'd like to believe that more than 10% players would've to know all the rules and nuances if they had taken time to read or listen or converse with team mates and coaches or just use common sense.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

How does that Tweeter tell that only 10% of NFL players would know this?

 

NFL teams, NFLPA, NFL player agents and the league communication must have been sent multiple times to all the players that they shouldn't gamble in team facilities and it should also have been communicated properly that they shouldn't do the same while on business trips, such as staying in team hotels. 

 

If that's not communicated properly yet, teams and the league are not communicating well.

 

But, as the rest of 90% players haven't been doing this, I'd like to believe that more than 10% players would've to know all the rules and nuances if they had taken time to read or listen or converse with team mates and coaches or just use common sense.

It's a guess I would say. The point he's making is that it's very likely even though players know the general rules they don't know this type of small details about what counts as "in team building"... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's a guess I would say. The point he's making is that it's very likely even though players know the general rules they don't know this type of small details about what counts as "in team building"... 

 

32 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's a guess I would say. The point he's making is that it's very likely even though players know the general rules they don't know this type of small details about what counts as "in team building"... 

meh then they obviously aren’t paying attention. I could believe that excuse prior to Ridley’s suspension, but not since. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

 

meh then they obviously aren’t paying attention. I could believe that excuse prior to Ridley’s suspension, but not since. 

@stitches

 

Exactly, after Ridley suspension, if I were the HC or GM or owner, I'm addressing all the team's players and I'll be telling them not to indulge in this sort of activities, and if you're going to do, you should read and understand and follow every nuance in the rules given by the league. 

 

I'd be doing that in fear of losing any player, especially key players and young upcoming players, like Ridley or Jameson. 

 

You don't need the repeat of these violations in your organization just because the players could be ignorant or lethargic.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Makes me even happier that Ballard tripled down on boundary corners in the draft! Brents, Rush and Jones (and Flowers) should all be contributors this season. 

this is a big opportunity for Flowers

 

remember when Rodgers told Bubba to gamble on Flowers? And He had that huge return?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2023/06/09/isaiah-rodgers-nfl-gambling-scandal-new-problem

 

Snippet:

Quote

 

I don’t think this case crosses the actual Rubicon. It’s not NBA referee Tim Donaghy admitting to fixing playoff games. It’s not the Black Sox throwing the 1919 World Series. And Rodgers, regardless of whether he bet on the Colts or against them, had his best season as a professional last year. He missed only one tackle and allowed only 58.6% of the passes thrown his way to be completed. Also, given the meager sums that he placed on the games (relative to NFL paychecks), it’s hard to imagine any game-altering incidents were a result. If Rodgers was allowing completions to secure the final leg of a $30 parlay, his problems are far bigger than how long he’ll have to sit out.

 

But—BUT—Rodgers’s infractions are not outside of that shadowy realm altogether because of the implications. Because of what we might think is still out there. In the coming weeks, Rodgers will have every one of his targets analyzed. That suspicion, even if unfounded, is simply with us now. Choose your metaphor: The genie is out of the bottle, Pandora has left the box, that Raiders fan with the egg avatar in your timeline who retweets conspiracy videos may not have been wrong about that one fumble at the end of that one game.

 

That bolded part made me laugh a little.

 

 

But this article has a lot of good points.

 

It's not about the truth, if Rodger's threw games or not, because I don't think that is there. He played to well last year for that to be the case.

 

It is about the outside perception as a whole, the professional leagues already have a bunch of questions about other things(officiating, PEDs), this just add fuel to the fire, that much more.

 

 

Saw something written the other day talking about, would the league try and sweep it under the rug if a superstar(we'll just use Mahomes as example) was caught? Doubt they could get away with sweeping it under the rug, but outside people will always wonder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2023 at 4:06 AM, w87r said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2023/06/09/isaiah-rodgers-nfl-gambling-scandal-new-problem

 

Snippet:

That bolded part made me laugh a little.

 

 

But this article has a lot of good points.

 

It's not about the truth, if Rodger's threw games or not, because I don't think that is there. He played to well last year for that to be the case.

 

It is about the outside perception as a whole, the professional leagues already have a bunch of questions about other things(officiating, PEDs), this just add fuel to the fire, that much more.

 

 

Saw something written the other day talking about, would the league try and sweep it under the rug if a superstar(we'll just use Mahomes as example) was caught? Doubt they could get away with sweeping it under the rug, but outside people will always wonder.

I see people claiming all over social media the NBA is rigged. I’m sure the gambling and officiating controversies added to that along with biggest reason being people just like to talk nonsense.  The NFL has been very good about keeping a clean game.  I bet they come down on Rodgers extremely hard if he bet on games he was playing in. Honestly, I was rooting for Rodgers but if he bet on the Colts they should kick him out of the league forever.  I love the NFL and I don’t want to listen to the nonstop media madness that would surely happen if they let any kind of gambling conspiracies gain traction. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I see people claiming all over social media the NBA is rigged. I’m sure the gambling and officiating controversies added to that along with biggest reason being people just like to talk nonsense.  The NFL has been very good about keeping a clean game.  I bet they come down on Rodgers extremely hard if he bet on games he was playing in. Honestly, I was rooting for Rodgers but if he bet on the Colts they should kick him out of the league forever.  I love the NFL and I don’t want to listen to the nonstop media madness that would surely happen if they let any kind of gambling conspiracies gain traction. 

sad but true. he's gotta go. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/11/is-the-leagues-anti-gambling-message-getting-through/

 

Snippet:

Quote

 

The 2022 version of the form, a copy of which the NFL has provided to PFT,  contains five categories: (1) betting and wagering; (2) protecting the game; (3) fantasy football; (4) business relationships; and (5) reporting and resources.

The “betting and wagering” section has five specific lines regarding the things players can and can’t do.

Betting on NFL Games of Events: Never.

Participating in Illegal Gambling: Never.

Entering or Using a Sportsbook: Never during the NFL season.

Visiting a Casino, Horse or Dog track: OK on personal time.

Gambling at the Team Facility, While Working Remotely, or While Traveling for NFL Games or Events: Never.

That’s really not as clear as it can be, relative to what the players are allowed to do.

 

 

Article that made me revisit a thought I had the other day after listening to Coaches media session.

 

 

Now when Coach Steichen, was continually asked about the gambling thing, he often tried to move on to next question.

 

 

However, at one point, he did give an answer about how the league came in and talked with the team. Then when asked if it was similar to what went on in Philly with the league coming in, he pretty much said it was. The only problem I had with his answer in that part, is it really didn't shine a light on what the team does/did after the league came into talk to the team. It was almost as if, he wasn't saying they did/do anything, just leave it at that?

 

Idk, just seemed a little weird answer. I know he wasn't trying to talk about the issue, but in my opinion, what he did say left me with more questions about how well the players are informed and then reinforced afterwards.

 

Idk? Just a thought. How do you perceive the situation in these regards

Anyone else think coaches answer was a little weird on initial listen?

 

 

Also the article goes into how communication could be improved.

Quote

 

Here’s a better way to communicate the message in 2023, without the other categories on the page in the interests of keeping it sufficiently simple so that players will read it and understand it.

Can I ever make bets with a bookie or anyone other than a legal sportsbook? NO. Punishment: Indefinite suspension for up to ONE YEAR, and possibly banishment FOR LIFE.

Can I ever bet on NFL games or anything related to the NFL, including the draft? NO. Punishment: Indefinite suspension for up to ONE YEAR, and possibly banishment FOR LIFE.

Can I bet on sports other than the NFL? Yes, but only through legal sportsbook apps and not while at work. Being at work means being anywhere in the facility, anywhere at the stadium, in the team plane, on the team bus, and in the team hotel. Punishment: Minimum suspension of SIX GAMES.

Can I enter a sports book facility? Yes, but never during the NFL season.

Can I go to a casino, a horse track, or a dog track? Yes, but only on personal time.

 

Have to say I agree, could definitely use some improvement.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, nyyankeechris said:

Why is this taking so long?  Seems strange nor to act swiftly if there is so much evidence?

The longer this takes, the more likely the harsher the penalties. The league likely wants to get this right as the penalty is likely a career ender for Rodgers. So to hold up in appeal and or litigation, they’ll take their time. There’s no deadline to issue a penalty at this stage.  It the fact that Rodgers has stopped practicing with the team should tell you all you need too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, nyyankeechris said:

Why is this taking so long?  Seems strange nor to act swiftly if there is so much evidence?

For what it’s worth, Sports Illustrated is quoting a source saying that it’s been told to Rodgers the league will be giving him a life time ban. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

For what it’s worth, Sports Illustrated is quoting a source saying that it’s been told to Rodgers the league will be giving him a life time ban. 

I know he did something bad  but I do think a lifetime ban is ridiculous. You have criminals getting chances over and over. He didn’t hurt anyone. He should have the opportunity to redeem himself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I know he did something bad  but I do think a lifetime ban is ridiculous. You have criminals getting chances over and over. He didn’t hurt anyone. He should have the opportunity to redeem himself. 

The only problem I have with NFL players regards to gambling is, if they gamble on their own team to lose and they are playing in that particular game. That player could rig it by making a bad play or 2. That is just terrible and makes fans wonder if the game is rigged. As a player that is about the worst thing you can do as far as integrity for the NFL. If Rodgers wants to bet on the Cubs/Cards game or play Black Jack I could care less.

 

Gambling is actually fun and gets your mind off of things for a day but just do it in moderation and within your means. Like drinking alcohol, having 4 or 5 beers is fine but when you have 12 - we have a problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2023 at 8:37 PM, OLD FAN MAN said:

but ballard only has high character talent on this team!!! how can this be????


I don’t think you’re being serious, but for anyone who needs an answer to this question, I’ll respond.  
 

Because there’s no one in the history of sports — not just football — but all of sports who is perfect with personnel.   Because people are flawed so no one is ever perfect.  
 

High character is a good thing.   It’s not something to be mocked.  

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back after a week….  Obviously this was the thread I went to first.   Spent the day reading it, all of it. 
 

There is one post I want to seriously respond to.   Doesn’t matter who wrote it, more important that someone respond.  
 

But one poster said it’s NOT the NFL’s job to hold the players hands.   Sorry, but I disagree 100 percent.   There is no job more important than the integrity of a league.   It takes decades to build trust and it can be lost so quickly.   The league is now in bed with gambling.   A terrible mixed-message to send,  especially to its players and employees.   The league must be vigilant in making sure everyone knows exactly what IS and ISN'T allowed.   It has to be Job One. And every story that says the players really don’t know what is and isn’t legal is just terrible for the league.   It gives the appearance that the league isn’t taking the issue seriously.   
 

There should be signs all over the team facility.   Everywhere.   The locker rooms, the meeting rooms, the coaches rooms, the weight room, the cafeteria,  training room, heck, even the bathrooms.   It should almost be like wallpaper.   And it should be MANDATORY at all 32 facilities.

 

And there should be constant reminders by the GM, the HC, and someone like David Thornton, who I think is in charge of helping players navigate their way in the world now that they’re out of college and have fame, money, and free time.   Give the players a pop quiz to make sure.   The league and all 32 teams needs to be able to say they’ve done all they can do…. And then some.   That they’ve gone the extra mile.  

 

I’m serious as a heart attack.    This is a self imposed wound to the league, by the league. 
 

Anything short of this, and the league has been very short of this,  should be unacceptable. 
 

As for Rodgers….  I’m hugely disappointed.   If he’s lucky, and gets a lifetime ban, he’ll get reinstated after a year-plus.   Lifetime bans rarely are for a lifetime.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Back after a week….  Obviously this was the thread I went to first.   Spent the day reading it, all of it. 
 

There is one post I want to seriously respond to.   Doesn’t matter who wrote it, more important that someone respond.  
 

But one poster said it’s NOT the NFL’s job to hold the players hands.   Sorry, but I disagree 100 percent.   There is no job more important than the integrity of a league.   It takes decades to build trust and it can be lost so quickly.   The league is now in bed with gambling.   A terrible mixed-message to send,  especially to its players and employees.   The league must be vigilant in making sure everyone knows exactly what IS and ISN'T allowed.   It has to be Job One. And every story that says the players really don’t know what is and isn’t legal is just terrible for the league.   It gives the appearance that the league isn’t taking the issue seriously.   
 

There should be signs all over the team facility.   Everywhere.   The locker rooms, the meeting rooms, the coaches rooms, the weight room, the cafeteria,  training room, heck, even the bathrooms.   It should almost be like wallpaper.   And it should be MANDATORY at all 32 facilities.

 

And there should be constant reminders by the GM, the HC, and someone like David Thornton, who I think is in charge of helping players navigate their way in the world now that they’re out of college and have fame, money, and free time.   Give the players a pop quiz to make sure.   The league and all 32 teams needs to be able to say they’ve done all they can do…. And then some.   That they’ve gone the extra mile.  

 

I’m serious as a heart attack.    This is a self imposed wound to the league, by the league. 
 

Anything short of this, and the league has been very short of this,  should be unacceptable. 
 

As for Rodgers….  I’m hugely disappointed.   If he’s lucky, and gets a lifetime ban, he’ll get reinstated after a year-plus.   Lifetime bans rarely are for a lifetime.  

 

Unless you’re Pete rose

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Back after a week….  Obviously this was the thread I went to first.   Spent the day reading it, all of it. 
 

There is one post I want to seriously respond to.   Doesn’t matter who wrote it, more important that someone respond.  
 

But one poster said it’s NOT the NFL’s job to hold the players hands.   Sorry, but I disagree 100 percent.   There is no job more important than the integrity of a league.   It takes decades to build trust and it can be lost so quickly.   The league is now in bed with gambling.   A terrible mixed-message to send,  especially to its players and employees.   The league must be vigilant in making sure everyone knows exactly what IS and ISN'T allowed.   It has to be Job One. And every story that says the players really don’t know what is and isn’t legal is just terrible for the league.   It gives the appearance that the league isn’t taking the issue seriously.   
 

There should be signs all over the team facility.   Everywhere.   The locker rooms, the meeting rooms, the coaches rooms, the weight room, the cafeteria,  training room, heck, even the bathrooms.   It should almost be like wallpaper.   And it should be MANDATORY at all 32 facilities.

 

And there should be constant reminders by the GM, the HC, and someone like David Thornton, who I think is in charge of helping players navigate their way in the world now that they’re out of college and have fame, money, and free time.   Give the players a pop quiz to make sure.   The league and all 32 teams needs to be able to say they’ve done all they can do…. And then some.   That they’ve gone the extra mile.  

 

I’m serious as a heart attack.    This is a self imposed wound to the league, by the league. 
 

Anything short of this, and the league has been very short of this,  should be unacceptable. 
 

As for Rodgers….  I’m hugely disappointed.   If he’s lucky, and gets a lifetime ban, he’ll get reinstated after a year-plus.   Lifetime bans rarely are for a lifetime.  

 

Here’s the thing. Rodgers created an account under a different name to try and not be discovered. To me, that points to him knowing it was against the rules. I’m sure the league feels the same way. Which again, is why there’s some credence here to the threat of a life time ban actually holding. From what I’ve found over the last week, none of the previous busted players had the sheer number of total bets placed, nor did they bet on games they played in, nor did they have accounts under disguise. I think for the reasons you said about sending a clear message , Rodgers will be out multiple years if not for life, he may get reinstated at some point but I seriously think his career is over. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Here’s the thing. Rodgers created an account under a different name to try and not be discovered. To me, that points to him knowing it was against the rules. I’m sure the league feels the same way. Which again, is why there’s some credence here to the threat of a life time ban actually holding. From what I’ve found over the last week, none of the previous busted players had the sheer number of total bets placed, nor did they bet on games they played in, nor did they have accounts under disguise. I think for the reasons you said about sending a clear message , Rodgers will be out multiple years if not for life, he may get reinstated at some point but I seriously think his career is over. 


You’re probably right.   Your post here is a powerful argument for just that.  
 

I don’t mean to come off as defending IR at all.   He’s badly stepped in it.   A mess of his own making.   Only wanted to note that so-called lifetime bans sometimes aren’t for a lifetime.   And that maybe — maybe — Rodgers might get lucky someday and get a second chance.    I won’t lose sleep over him either way.    

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...