Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Isaiah Rodgers being investigated for gambling policy infractions ((MERGE))

CR91

2 hours ago, w87r said:

I'm thinking he loses a vesting year, and his contract would pick up where it left off.

Haven't found the verbiage yet, but if Franchise tagged players don't report by a certain date they lose that year of service, so would think the same would apply in this instance 

https://nflpa.com/active-players/faq/what-is-a-credited-season-and-what-does-it-mean-to-be-vested

Not specifically listed here, but says you need to be active for 3 games, or on IR, PUP etc.

I am assuming the closest precedence we have to this for reference is Ridley's situation.

When Ridley had his suspension, he was heading into the final year of his rookie deal as well (although for him it was his 5th year option. But still similar).

In Ridley's case, he did not get paid for that 2022 season and the contract deferred so that his final season was then upon reinstatement (which is now this coming 2023 season). 

So, my guess would be that once the league rules on if he is suspended and for how long, that contract of his will defer until he is reinstated (when or if that is) and the Colts would hold his rights for that final coming year whenever it is.

That being said, his $2.743M remaining year on his contract only has like $36K in dead money if he is cut. So, the Colts could feasibly cut him at any time during this process and just handle that tiny cap acceleration now and be done with it.

I imagine this will all come down to what the final details are and how significant the league deems the suspension as being worthy of. 

I feel pretty confident it will likely be one of those "indefinite suspensions" with a minimum duration.

Likely more than that minimum 1-year duration that Ridley and some of the Lions' players got recently if all the details and extent of the wagers are accurate.

Really sucks for this kid. He has so much promise and potential and it was his time to shine. 

He made the most of his opportunity when you consider that he is really truly not the prototypical Ballard type of long, lengthy CB.

He just balled out and made plays when he had the chance and was finally getting his true opportunity. Tough break, but hard to really feel bad when he admittedly did stuff that everyone had to know they couldn't do with the league's recent sternness on the issue. Oof. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, colts89 said:

I know I'm going against history here , but I hope the NFL lets him off with a 1-2 year ban if he didn't bet against the Colts.

Not defending his actions, but he didn't hurt anyone. He just something incredibly and outrageously stupid. But he's a young guy who might have had bad influences in his ear telling him stuff like they won't care if it's 25-50 dollar bets. We don't know all the context here yet.

I guess I'm in the minority with that opinion, but players have done a lot worse and gotten far less harsh punishments. I know the integrity of the game matters but if he didn't bet against his own team it's not like his bets influenced the game.

3 hours ago, tvturner said:

He's one of the best coverage guys on the team and he's not a world class * for betting on games, players have done far worse and received less punishment

I'm astounded at the number of people here passing harsh judgements and talking about worst cases without having full idea about what exactly he's done. 

We could wait until we get enough information to see if he bet on Colts games, whether he used the inside information he'd have known in betting, and how innocent or guilty he was in committing what he did. 

I'm sure Colts organization would look at it objectively with complete data than fans would ever know, and they'd take a prudent decision.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, w87r said:

?

Not sure who this guy is, but that's pretty specific.

How did this guy come up with Pittman? It is Rodgers who isn't even close to Pittman chuckling homer simpson GIF. Not good but not a huge blow either. He had promise but only played 9 games last season. Ballard will probably roll with the Rooks and go get a vet. If Rodgers bet on us to lose, he may get a lifetime ban. Disturbing.

• Like 2

If he bet on the Colts to lose IMO he will never play again. 

If he bet on spreads of Colts games IMO he will never play again either.

If he bet on the Colts to win, he might get a chance to play but still I'm not sure.

If he only bet on other games or other  sports he probably will be reinstated at some point(probably next year).

He knew what he was doing. He knew it was against the rules and that's why he used another person's account to place those bets and not his own. He thought he won't get caught. I guess the positive is he's taking responsibility for what he's done, but there will be ton more steps before he convinces the league and an NFL team to give him another shot. 

Such a shame for a talented player to waste his career like that :(

• Like 3

I'm curious if a lot of these NFL players that are gambling and getting caught (and will get caught with the second wave of investigations) are gambling addicts. There are a lot of them that have probably never revealed this addiction in the past, and with gambling being made legal in the U.S. and easier than ever to access on sites like Fanduel and Draftkings, it's so much easier to gamble and become addicted to the point (in Rodgers case) where you make 100s of bets because you are a millionaire. 

There's also possible inside information and the possible desperation among rookies and lesser players to make money because they aren't getting paid yet or they aren't good enough to get a payday, that they could easily use info that no one has access to to not only win games, but to possibly rig games slightly in schemes like point shaving. Point shaving happened in college basketball with Stevin Smith at Arizona State when he had to pay back a debt for gambling and wanted to live the high life. 

There's just so many things that can be opened up with gambling these days in sports, and if you are addicted, that makes things worse. I'm curious if Rodgers is a gambling addict. If he's making 100s of bets, there's certainly a possibility. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'm astounded at the number of people here passing harsh judgements and talking about worst cases without having full idea about what exactly he's done. 

We could wait until we get enough information to see if he bet on Colts games, whether he used the inside information he'd have known in betting, and how innocent or guilty he was in committing what he did. 

I'm sure Colts organization would look at it objectively with complete data than fans would ever know, and they'd take a prudent decision.

We know he bet on Colts games. We know he used inside info, too, because he had inside info and he bet on Colts games. What, he just “forgot” all the inside information he had before making all these bets? Use common sense. We’re not a court of a law. This is a forum. If you don’t want to read speculation, this probably isn’t the place for you. 

38 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm curious if a lot of these NFL players that are gambling and getting caught (and will get caught with the second wave of investigations) are gambling addicts. There are a lot of them that have probably never revealed this addiction in the past, and with gambling being made legal in the U.S. and easier than ever to access on sites like Fanduel and Draftkings, it's so much easier to gamble and become addicted to the point (in Rodgers case) where you make 100s of bets because you are a millionaire. 

There's also possible inside information and the possible desperation among rookies and lesser players to make money because they aren't getting paid yet or they aren't good enough to get a payday, that they could easily use info that no one has access to to not only win games, but to possibly rig games slightly in schemes like point shaving. Point shaving happened in college basketball with Stevin Smith at Arizona State when he had to pay back a debt for gambling and wanted to live the high life. 

There's just so many things that can be opened up with gambling these days in sports, and if you are addicted, that makes things worse. I'm curious if Rodgers is a gambling addict. If he's making 100s of bets, there's certainly a possibility. 

I understand substance addiction but, honestly, I have trouble wrapping my brain around being addicted to gambling. What’s it like? Drug addiction — you feel like your body is going to fail you and there’s intense craving/pain if you can’t feed the addiction. Is gambling the same — I mean, you haven’t created a chemical dependency, you’re chasing excitement? A rush?  I’m not saying gambling addiction does not exist, so pearl clutchers and virtue signalers can move on. Can anyone explain it w some expertise?  I’d be up for learning. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

We know he bet on Colts games. We know he used inside info, too, because he had inside info and he bet on Colts games. What, he just “forgot” all the inside information he had before making all these bets? Use common sense. We’re not a court of a law. This is a forum. If you don’t want to read speculation, this probably isn’t the place for you. 

Ridley also had inside information and he bet on falcons games as well, but got a year ban. But, a lifetime ban for Rodgers? My point is, the common sense is judgement should be fair to everyone, of course based on individual crime, but all the information has not been confirmed yet. 

So do we have an official confirmation from NFL or Colts that Rodgers bet on Colts games? And the nature of the bets to verify what kind of information was used? Do you base on random Twitter post that first said he bet on Colts games but that same guy couldn't tell it was Rodgers?

That's why I said Colts and the league would've a lot more information, and we can speculate all we want but giving judgements is not the same as speculating.

5 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

I understand substance addiction but, honestly, I have trouble wrapping my brain around being addicted to gambling. What’s it like? Drug addiction — you feel like your body is going to fail you and there’s intense craving/pain if you can’t feed the addiction. Is gambling the same — I mean, you haven’t created a chemical dependency, you’re chasing excitement? A rush?  I’m not saying gambling addiction does not exist, so pearl clutchers and virtue signalers can move on. Can anyone explain it w some expertise?  I’d be up for learning. 

Most probably having bad friends around that give wrong ideas to indulge in such activities like gambling. This friends will leave him once he lost his money, but would give company and misled those who have money to utilize for their fun and entertainment.

9 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

You have two chemicals in your brain that get triggered when you gamble, serotonin and dopamine. You get a rush of these chemicals in your brain when you gamble as you keep making bets. It's more prevalent in things like slot machines rather than sports betting, but a gambling addicts brain is much different than a normal persons brain. Definitely a mental illness to those who have it and should be treated as such (not saying Rodgers or any specific athlete has it though, just saying that it's a possibility).

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Most probably having bad friends around that give wrong ideas to indulge in such activities like gambling. This friends will leave him once he lost his money, but would give company and misled those who have money to utilize for their fun and entertainment.

Or he himself was the bad friend who pressured his buddy or employee to take bets for him. Just because IR is a Colt and runs fast doesn’t mean his “bad” friends corrupted poor helpless IR. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Or he himself was the bad friend who pressured his buddy or employee to take bets for him. Just because IR is a Colt and runs fast doesn’t mean his “bad” friends corrupted poor helpless IR. 

It could be possible too.. you asked for some thoughts, and that was mine. As I said earlier, if and when the actual information becomes public, we'll get to know.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I just wonder why there was such a push to make sports betting legal.. just like the big push for making weed legal. Just more problems it seems..

This is legal for everyone else now.. but don't YOU do it.

But, players would've more information that could be used to their advantage if they bet on their own games. That's unfair to all the public as well who would spend their money without any inside data, as it is supposed to be. So it should go without saying that those who have inside information shouldn't gain unfair advantage over everyone else.

8 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Its not about the gambling. Its about the stupidity. 

Throw away a lucrative career for low level bets? 

I just dont think I would invest in someone that stupid long term, so we might as well move on now.

Oh I don’t disagree at all. just saying it could be worse

6 hours ago, AKB said:

if he bet on games he played in, he will never play again. 

yep 

31 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I just wonder why there was such a push to make sports betting legal.. just like the big push for making weed legal. Just more problems it seems..

This is legal for everyone else now.. but don't YOU do it.

It’s been illegal and also against league rules since the 1960s for players and coaches to do so. That has never changed 

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Ridley also had inside information and he bet on falcons games as well, but got a year ban. But, a lifetime ban for Rodgers? My point is, the common sense is judgement should be fair to everyone, of course based on individual crime, but all the information has not been confirmed yet. 

So do we have an official confirmation from NFL or Colts that Rodgers bet on Colts games? And the nature of the bets to verify what kind of information was used? Do you base on random Twitter post that first said he bet on Colts games but that same guy couldn't tell it was Rodgers?

That's why I said Colts and the league would've a lot more information, and we can speculate all we want but giving judgements is not the same as speculating.

Actually Ridley was found to not have bet on his own team. And Ridley was only a few times, if the reports Rodgers has been doing this dating back to 2020 and was betting on not only his own team but games he played in… the league is gonna come down HARD. And they’ve done it before. Though it’s not been since the 80s but they have issued indefinite bans for gambling in the past. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Actually Ridley was found to not have bet on his own team. And Ridley was only a few times, if the reports Rodgers has been doing this dating back to 2020 and was betting on not only his own team but games he played in… the league is gonna come down HARD. And they’ve done it before. Though it’s not been since the 80s but they have issued indefinite bans for gambling in the past. 

Makes you wonder how long has this been going on and how many players have been involved overall in one way or other! 

I think I started noticing only after Ridley got banned.

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Makes you wonder how long has this been going on and how many players have been involved overall in one way or other! 

I think I started noticing only after Ridley got banned.

Well access is a lot easier these days with gambling apps available on your phone. So probably a lot. Which is another reason I think the league comes down hard and I mean really hard on Rodgers especially if he did in fact bet on all Colts games and IF he played in those games

To me the question is, will he get hit with criminal charges too? Indiana has such laws…

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ridley did take wagers on few falcons games:

According to documents obtained and reviewed by Sports Handle, the Falcons wideout bet more than $3,900 on six separate wagers that included Falcons games. Five of the bets were parlays that included Atlanta’s moneyline while one was a $1,300 in-game wager on Atlanta’s team total that was made in the second half of the Falcons’ 21–14 victory against the Jaguars on Nov. 28. 

The parlays were based on a $300, 11-leg bet of games. Per Sports Handle, the bet—which included odds of 481/1—would have produced more than $144,000 if successful.

The former Alabama star also reportedly placed two additional $100 wagers on NFL games that did not include the Falcons. In the bets for those games, Ridley won and profited $654. Per Sports Handle, Ridley placed 33 additional wagers on other sports and leagues that totaled $32,733. Of those wagers, Ridley profited $2,744. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/03/11/calvin-ridley-bet-on-more-nfl-games-disclosed-falcons

• Thanks 1

Rodgers played in 15/17 games last season, so unless he made all the bets in the 2 games he didn't play in, he most likely bet on games he played in.

Still a lot to be known, but with the detailed reports and Rodgers statement, I think it is safe to say he is guilty.

• Like 2

Listening to Kevin & Query. Query is saying he received this information yesterday, before the report was leaked. According to his source the player has known for hte investigation since February but the team is just learning about this. So this means, Rodgers didn't even tell Colts FO he's being investigated for 4 months. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I know a few of the Lions had said that.

I don't really buy it though, with such stiff consequences, teams are sure to be pumping this info into players. Signs everywhere.

Rules are simple, can't bet on NFL games at all, and can't bet on anything while at the facility.

Not that hard to comprehend that, trying to use ignorance as an excuse won't go very well for these players.

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

Only difference is he wasn't playing in the games, and wasn't even with the team.

He had stepped away for mental health reasons.

But wouldn't he have ways to know about some information if he needed to? 

He could've asked as a question to coaches to know something he wasn't aware, he might have taken part in team meetings if he wasn't allowed to attend them due to being in IR (?!), he could have a confidant in a teammate who might've relayed the requested information. He might have been injured, but I'd think he'd still have had access to almost all the information regarding his team games. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just now, w87r said:

I know a few of the Lions had said that.

I don't really buy it though, with such stiff consequences, teams are sure to be pumping this info into players. Signs everywhere.

Rules are simple, can't bet on NFL games at all, and can't bet on anything while at the facility.

Not that hard to comprehend that, trying to use ignorance as an excuse won't go very well for these players.

It's hard to plead ignorance, specifically about Rodgers, since he took measures to evade being detected. He knew what he was doing wasn't allowed. That's why he used accounts of other people to place those bets. It's just so freaking stupid. Maybe he does have gambling problem and this is no joke... many people have fallen victims to it and many lives have been ruined by gambling addiction. No idea if he fits in that category or just straight up stupidity... either way... what a shame for ruining his career for what? The thrill of betting 20-50 bucks on games. Wasn't the thrill of playing in those games enough for him? Just... :facepalm:

• Like 5

1 minute ago, stitches said:

It's hard to plead ignorance, specifically about Rodgers, since he took measures to evade being detected. He knew what he was doing wasn't allowed. That's why he used accounts of other people to place those bets. It's just so freaking stupid. Maybe he does have gambling problem and this is no joke... many people have fallen victims to it and many lives have been ruined by gambling addiction. No idea if he fits in that category or just straight up stupidity... either way... what a shame for ruining his career for what? The thrill of betting 20-50 bucks on games. Wasn't the thrill of playing in those games enough for him? Just... :facepalm:

Yeah, if you have a gambling addiction, just bet on other sports away from the facility. I don't believe you would get suspended for that, would you?

• Like 1

Query just made a GREAT point that I had not thought about ... even if he bet only for Colts wins and he bet on 10 games. What does that tell you about the other 7 games he didn't bet? Did he expect us to lose in those? This actually makes the argument for him never being allowed to play again even if he only bet on Colts wins... 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

But wouldn't he have ways to know about some information if he needed to? 

He could've asked as a question to coaches to know something he wasn't aware, he might have taken part in team meetings if he wasn't allowed to attend them due to being in IR (?!), he could have a confidant in a teammate who might've relayed the requested information. He might have been injured, but I'd think he'd still have had access to almost all the information regarding his team games. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He could've, my only point was he wasn't playing in any of the games, so he couldn't do something in those games to control the outcome. Rodgers played in 15/17 games last season. Chances are good he played in a game he bet on, if reports are true.

Also, it is my understanding that Ridley was completely away from team, no meetings. He needed to step away from football. I'm sure he still had communication with some players and coaches here and there.

• Like 2

Just now, stitches said:

Query just made a GREAT point that I had not thought about ... even if he bet only for Colts wins and he bet on 10 games. What does that tell you about the other 7 games he didn't bet? Did he expect us to lose in those? This actually makes the argument for him never being allowed to play again even if he only bet on Colts wins... 

Well, even a casual colts fan that's a sports bettor can have an idea of which games are more likely to be won than others. I personally have less of a problem with him betting on the Colts than most as you still have to play hard with your team to win. If it's straight up. If it's point shaving though, and you cause something to happen, that's where it becomes a grey area.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, if you have a gambling addiction, just bet on other sports away from the facility. I don't believe you would get suspended for that, would you?

Yep as simple as that

No NFL games period

Anything else is fine as long as it isn't in the facility.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stitches said:

many people have fallen victims to it and many lives have been ruined by gambling addiction. No idea if he fits in that category or just straight up stupidity... either way... what a shame for ruining his career for what? The thrill of betting 20-50 bucks on games. Wasn't the thrill of playing in those games enough for him?

I agree. Also, didn't he earn enough money that he would not need to gamble? Of course, this is coming from the standpoint of someone who never gambles. If he has a gambling problem, then it probably would not matter how much money he has. The urge to make more money by gambling probably mars his judgment.

Sadly, gambling on games may likely result in permanent loss of income from the NFL. He may not play again.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, w87r said:

He could've, my only point was he wasn't playing in any of the games, so he couldn't do something in those games to control the outcome. Rodgers played in 15/17 games last season. Chances are good he played in a game he bet on, if reports are true.

Also, it is my understanding that Ridley was completely away from team, no meetings. He needed to step away from football. I'm sure he still had communication with some players and coaches here and there.

Yeah, but I don't think one non-qb NFL player can bet on games to lose and go on make exact plays to lose games, especially a player who got graded by PFF in 80s. A player will have to be at right place at the right time to make game defining play that ended up in his favor.

It's possible, but I'd leave it to the league to study those games and see if he played in a way to alter the outcome. It's certainly a check point, but I don't get paranoid that Rodgers would've had chances to do that. 

It's not like it was hard to make Colts lose, and players on offense played like that to lose purpose more than the players on defense. I think Rodgers just placed some bets on Colts games as well, when he was already gambling more than hundred times in other sports. I think he just went overboard and bet on few games, which will go against him now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree. Also, didn't he earn enough money that he would not need to gamble? Of course, this is coming from the standpoint of someone who never gambles. If he has a gambling problem, then it probably would not matter how much money he has. The urge to make more money by gambling probably mars his judgment.

Sadly, gambling on games may likely result in permanent loss of income from the NFL. He may not play again.

I play an online mobile game which is very addictive, and involves earning imaginary coins. You can spend real money to buy more, and I don't spend a cent, but still it does have an impact for a little while while earning or losing that money. Some things just get addictive for no important reason sometimes, I think...

On Ridley article above, he placed little more than $30K on bets and profited around $3K. It's (profit) not big deal for NFL players at all, it's just the thrill ,I guess. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, w87r said:

The only thing I don't like about his statement is he said he made an error in judgement.

Yeah, like 100 times.

Exactly. Error in judgment? Come on.

What I don't like about the statement is that it sounds too much like lawyer speech. It does not sound like it came from anyone but an attorney. By admitting an "error in judgement", it means that the NFL has proof that he gambled on games. He can't get out of that.

I still hope he does not lose his career for doing this, but I would understand if he did.

• Like 1

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I play an online mobile game which is very addictive, and involves earning imaginary coins. You can spend real money to buy more, and I don't spend a cent, but still it does have an impact for a little while while earning or losing that money. Some things just get addictive for no important reason sometimes, I think...

On Ridley article above, he placed little more than $30K on bets and profited around $3K. It's (profit) not big deal for NFL players at all, it's just the thrill ,I guess. 

There's ultimate team on the Madden games where you can build a team of players through Madden cards of players rated up to 99. You can earn coins to buy packs based on different modes of play and playing other people, but to compete with the best, you have to spend real money to get your team up to the 90s in a timely matter or you'll just be outmatched. 

It's not technically gambling besides buying packs, but it's pay to win in a way.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What I don't like about the statement is that it sounds too much like lawyer speech. It does not sound like it came from anyone but an attorney. By admitting an "error in judgement", it means that the NFL has proof that he gambled on games. He can't get out of that.

I still hope he does not lose his career for doing this, but I would understand if he did.

Probably ChatGPT'd

I really didn't like that statement, other than the fact it confirmed who it was.

Didn't even apologize to his family in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah it would make me mad if he bet against the Colts, because then he could have been throwing plays or having a lack of effort to lose games for profit. The Vikings game could be a possibility if he played (I'd have to look at his PFF score and stats). If it's 100s of bets though with many being on or against the Colts, then I wouldn't want him on the team anymore. He's likely to throw a game if possible for a big payday or point shave and I would hate that as a fan.

• Like 1