Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could you gain 1 yard in a rushing play against an NFL defense?

Nate!

Could gain 1 yard in a rushing play against an NFL defense?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Could gain 1 yard in a rushing play against an NFL defense?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna say yes.  And not because I'm anything special.  I'm not.  I'm 56 years old, 5'6" and 270.8 pounds (as of this morning).

Rather, I think that out of 100 tries, even the worst runner should be able to gain a single yard maybe 50 times, simply by following their blockers.  Playing the averages, you're gonna gain some and your gonna lose some.  But you ought to gain 1 yard half the time.

8 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

These dudes are delusional lol

Nah its not that complicated.  If theres a hole there then I could do it, if i had to break contact then no

You just assumed nobody can run a couple yards when they have the hole to do it?

11 hours ago, ponyboy said:

Easily... provided the exhibition is setup by a charitable organization and the defense parts like the Red Sea to open a huge running lane.  I might even be able to score a TD if the hand off doesn't knock the wind out of me AND we're lined up within 20 yards of the goal line.

See George plimpton when he wrote paper lion.  They did this for him and mocked him after 

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Everyone in here would have negative yardage after carrying the ball 4 times against nfl defensive players.   Probably not even be able to make all 4 carries due to an ambulance ride.

Exactly.  I can’t believe there are currently 27 people that really think they could. Lol 

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

Nah its not that complicated.  If theres a hole there then I could do it, if i had to break contact then no

You just assumed nobody can run a couple yards when they have the hole to do it?

4 carries negative 28 yards

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

4 carries negative 28 yards

Who said anything about 4 downs?

I get that you are old and slow but I can run through a hole if its there.  If thers no hole then i wouldnt make it, if it was big enough i would.  Im still fast and can carry a football through a lane dude 

One of the choices should have been could one run for a yard when they were at the best shape in their life. No way in hell could I do it now but if I took a top 10 RB in high school throughout the states that was strong and fast and gave him 4 chances at getting a yard against the pro's I am sure he would get it. All it takes is getting lucky once out of 4 times.

I didn't vote because no way could I do it now at 51 lmao . 

33 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Exactly.  I can’t believe there are currently 27 people that really think they could. Lol 

When I was 22 I was a great athlete, I am sure I could if I had 4 tries. If I couldn't that would be embarrassing. 4 tries is the key phrase by the OP, if I only had 1 try than probably not. At 51, people would be me visiting at the hospital or funeral home lmao 

I'm 5'8 190 pounds at 35 years old. I think I could do it. I could either run through the middle and follow my blocks or if there was no hole, I'd run to the outside and get a yard or two. My only problem would be possibly fumbling the ball after getting hit. Didn't say I couldn't fumble though lol! haha 

1 hour ago, Jack86 said:

Probably, could I walk after, most likely not :thinking:

My thought exactly. I'm 37 years old, 6' 165lbs, in possibly the best shape of my life (I think better than when I actually played HS football), and am still pretty fast.

Behind an NFL line, I think I could get at least 1 yard in 4 tries, but I would be hurting afterwards. Also to Jared's point, there's no guarantee I'd hold onto the ball when I got hit...lol

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

I get that you are old and slow but I can run through a hole if its there.  If thers no hole then i wouldnt make it, if it was big enough i would.  Im still fast and can carry a football through a lane dude 

He said 4 downs and the defense knows you are carrying the ball each down

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Have you ever been on a football field in your life? 

1 hour ago, Shive said:

My thought exactly. I'm 37 years old, 6' 165lbs, in possibly the best shape of my life (I think better than when I actually played HS football), and am still pretty fast.

Behind an NFL line, I think I could get at least 1 yard in 4 tries, but I would be hurting afterwards. Also to Jared's point, there's no guarantee I'd hold onto the ball when I got hit...lol

165? You might be dead afterwards.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm 5'8 190 pounds at 35 years old. I think I could do it. I could either run through the middle and follow my blocks or if there was no hole, I'd run to the outside and get a yard or two. My only problem would be possibly fumbling the ball after getting hit. Didn't say I couldn't fumble though lol! haha 

You'd bounce it to the outside?

From never playing football before to rolling out of bed and bouncing it to the outside on an NFL defense. 

Thats incredible. 

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

You'd bounce it to the outside?

From never playing football before to rolling out of bed and bouncing it to the outside on an NFL defense. 

Thats incredible. 

I've played in HS. I'm nowhere near good enough to play professionally, but I know enough when the middle is clogged up to bounce it to the outside. I also only said I'd get a yard or two (which is true) because I'm 35 and fast, and I'd probably fumble the ball after getting hit. You pretend like you have to be in Mensa to play football and be an rb.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I've played in HS. I'm nowhere near good enough to play professionally, but I know enough when the middle is clogged up to bounce it to the outside. I also only said I'd get a yard or two (which is true) because I'm 35 and fast, and I'd probably fumble the ball after getting hit. You pretend like you have to be in Mensa to play football and be an rb.

You said previously you didnt play football because you hating depending on other people and only played individual sports. So this is different from what you said before.

35 year old NFL RBs are usually retired already. 35 isnt young in the NFL. And you arent "fast" in the NFL either. You would easily be the slowest skill position player in the entire league. 

Just now, Goatface Killah said:

You said previously you didnt play football because you hating depending on other people and only played individual sports. So this is different from what you said before.

35 year old NFL RBs are usually retired already. 35 isnt young in the NFL. And you arent "fast" in the NFL either. You would easily be the slowest skill position player in the entire league. 

I played one game of high school football before I started playing pokemon and dropped out of the team because of bad performances from teammates and my temper. I just only played one real game, so I don't count it generally as being a high school football player.

I only said it because I know enough about playing as an RB to know the basics of how to get a yard. Follow your blocks through the middle, if there's no hole, bounce to the outside. I can easily take a good enough angle, even at 35, to get a yard or two. You are acting like I said I could be a starting rb in the NFL. I said I could get a yard or two, I admitted I would fumble. Both are true. 

I'm not going back on my statement.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I played one game of high school football before I started playing pokemon and dropped out of the team because of bad performances from teammates and my temper. I just only played one real game, so I don't count it generally as being a high school football player.

I only said it because I know enough about playing as an RB to know the basics of how to get a yard. Follow your blocks through the middle, if there's no hole, bounce to the outside. I can easily take a good enough angle, even at 35, to get a yard or two. You are acting like I said I could be a starting rb in the NFL. I said I could get a yard or two, I admitted I would fumble. Both are true. 

I'm not going back on my statement.

Alrighty then.

48 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

35 is 'old' for a NFL running back not necessarily because of true age but rather the constant beating that is endured. Assuming most of the forums haven't spent most of their adult life running into a brick wall a average 35 year old has a lot less ware and tear. 

1 hour ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

35 is 'old' for a NFL running back not necessarily because of true age but rather the constant beating that is endured. Assuming most of the forums haven't spent most of their adult life running into a brick wall a average 35 year old has a lot less ware and tear. 

Males peak physically around 27 years old.

We are all past our primes at 35 years old. And the prime of an NFL athlete is well beyond the prime of a man who just works out, so even being "past his prime" means something totally different.

I started playing sports when I was 5-6 years old and worked out religiously since I was 14. I also played football for 10 years and wrestled for 12. Im 5'8" 225 and run about 14% body fat. I am in very good condition for 43 years old. I work out almost every single day.  

There is no way in hell I could beat an NFL player to a spot. And there is certainly no way I could bounce it outside and get the edge, which most NFL RBs can't even do. Thats a special, rare trait. Thats just an absurd thing to say and suggests a lack of respect for what these guys do.

People just need to realize just how preposterous it is to suggest you could perform against people who are bigger, stronger, faster AND younger than you, especially when they have tons of experience and you have none. 

As soon as they hand you the ball you have 11 top tier athletes coming after you at full speed, with only 6-7 guys really blocking for you and people colliding all around you. Its utter chaos and with no experience its gonna seem like being attacked by an entire pride of lions.

Not only could you not do it in the NFL, you couldnt do it in college either. Thats not an insult to you, its just realistic.

I voted yes mostly to be a joke but there’s a slim possibility a gaping hole could be opened enough for me to squeeze through in four downs and not die.

Having said that, the amount of YES responses is kind of comical.  Had to LOL at someone saying they’d bounce outside if the hole was covered.  :funny:

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

Males peak physically around 27 years old.

We are all past our primes at 35 years old. And the prime of an NFL athlete is well beyond the prime of a man who just works out, so even being "past his prime" means something totally different.

I started playing sports when I was 5-6 years old and worked out religiously since I was 14. I also played football for 10 years and wrestled for 12. Im 5'8" 225 and run about 14% body fat. I am in very good condition for 43 years old. I work out almost every single day.  

There is no way in hell I could beat an NFL player to a spot. And there is certainly no way I could bounce it outside and get the edge, which most NFL RBs can't even do. Thats a special, rare trait. Thats just an absurd thing to say and suggests a lack of respect for what these guys do.

People just need to realize just how preposterous it is to suggest you could perform against people who are bigger, stronger, faster AND younger than you, especially when they have tons of experience and you have none. 

As soon as they hand you the ball you have 11 top tier athletes coming after you at full speed, with only 6-7 guys really blocking for you and people colliding all around you. Its utter chaos and with no experience its gonna seem like being attacked by an entire pride of lions.

Not only could you not do it in the NFL, you couldnt do it in college either. Thats not an insult to you, its just realistic.

I don't know about saying they couldn't against college teams.  I am guessing there is a college RB or two on this board and I am sure they have.     I am on board with you saying the average fan couldn't do it    Well maybe if there were enough practices and a trick play.  But that wasn't mentioned so.    

I won't say no one on the board couldn't gain one yard in 4 shots, but realize how few people are good enough to play in the NFL.

Only 1700 positions available, for the entire population of the world. Even the guys who some say suck are world class athletes or 

they wouldn't be on a team.. 

Can't be a split second late, because the hole closes so fast, pursuit is so fast bouncing outside would probably result in lost

yardage, unless you are amazingly quick.

I still stand by maybe with preparation. Going in blind though? Against, let's face it, world class athletes (even the practice squad players would smoke nearly any high school football team)? Better chance of hell freezing over. 

Those of us with some years of experience playing the sport would have a better chance I imagine. Side note: Anyone else out there play running back in school? 

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great topic. When I was 22 years old I could run 7 miles a day and my bench was at 225 twice and up from chest at 5'8 180 pounds, i was quick as well. I think I could get a yard when I was 22 on 4 tries. I am now 51 and out of shape, after one major hit I would probably lose a yard and may need a hospital sick homer simpson GIF

cutie pie

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I still stand by maybe with preparation. Going in blind though? Against, let's face it, world class athletes (even the practice squad players would smoke nearly any high school football team)? Better chance of hell freezing over. 

Those of us with some years of experience playing the sport would have a better chance I imagine. Side note: Anyone else out there play running back in school? 

RB? No but I did play LB in HS. I was 25 lbs heavier then because I was also on the wrestling team. There was a couple of times a RB either ran me over or carried me for a ride till I got him wrapped up.  haha

Archived