Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could you gain 1 yard in a rushing play against an NFL defense?

Nate!

Could gain 1 yard in a rushing play against an NFL defense?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Could gain 1 yard in a rushing play against an NFL defense?

See topic.

Since this is football there are many variables right? Type of formation for the defense, actual team (some are much better at rush defense than others), your own experience, your age, your size.

Instead of thinking of the team, this will be an "average" NFL team for fairness. You're not doing this against the top ranked rushing defense.

However, it is a rushing play.

And, using standard NFL rules, you will have 4 downs or tries. But anyone with any familiarity with American football will tell you that this will be disadvantage technically since they will all be rushing plays and you will be the ball carrier every time. All eyes will be on you.

But 4 downs is the rule, so let's keep it.

Also NFL caliber defensive players are freaks of nature. I'd probably get injured badly my first try. Concussed, etc.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Nate! said:

See topic.

Since this is football there are many variables right? Type of formation for the defense, actual team (some are much better at rush defense than others), your own experience, your age, your size.

Instead of thinking of the team, this will be an "average" NFL team for fairness. You're not doing this against the top ranked rushing defense.

However, it is a rushing play.

And, using standard NFL rules, you will have 4 downs or tries. But anyone with any familiarity with American football will tell you that this will be disadvantage technically since they will all be rushing plays and you will be the ball carrier every time. All eyes will be on you.

But 4 downs is the rule, so let's keep it.

Also NFL caliber defensive players are freaks of nature. I'd probably get injured badly my first try. Concussed, etc.

In my prime and I get to run behind q?  Still probably not but I’d like to think so.  

• Nate! changed the title to Could you gain 1 yard in a rushing play against an NFL defense?

I am 5'10 168 on a good day

60 years old, and my reaction time, and overall speed have suffered immensely the last several years, so I picked no way.

I would have a one carry career, and be carted off the field, unless I took a knee as soon as I got the hand off.

Just now, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

Being a former Rugby player and over 6ft, I would like to think if I was tackled around the legs I could at least fall forward 1 yard ........haha

Same for me size and game. college and a men’s league rugby but that was 30 years ago. Lol

6’0 190lbs. I could probably gain a few yards after bouncing off contact. Back when I played 20 or so years ago I was tough to tackle in practice and had some jukes on me too! I played defense though, which I’ll ask to take this further! Do any of you think you could make an open field tackle on an NFL RB or if there’s a 330lb blocker in front? I believe I could, but maybe 1 time out of 10 or 20 attempts!

Just now, IndyD4U said:

The last time I carried the ball was 8th grade and I drug half the kids on the opposing team into the end zone. haha

I’d like to think my 43 year old body that stands 6’1” 280 lbs these days could get that yard!

sounds like a full back talking. we need you to block. cause i definitely need a FB in front me. im not making the yard.

Prior to my leg injuries i would say its possible. The only reason I say that is im used to pushing a 2400 to 2600 Drag Car around at the race track. Its not the same as pushing around as daily driving car especially if its not going perfectly straight. 

Oof. Man we have some really confident and unrealistic fans here lol

For reference , I am 42 and currently 6’3” 325. I played semi-pro ball for two years snd made the all-star game both seasons as a Center.  In my prime when I did that at age 28 I was around 295-300 or so. And there were games where we needed 1 yard and with me and four bigger guys blocking the Dline and with former Division I and even a former nfl rb running behind our line, we still got stuffed. Repeatedly. 

with the level of nfl talent, not to mention how our line blocked for some of last year, there is virtually no way us common folk are picking up that yard lol

if the question were could we run a play and make it off the field on our own afterwards, then maaaaaaybe the bravado could be justified lol

Maybe, but I played running back in high school. I’m not tall.. 5’7”… but I am at a hefty 225. Some muscle, but honestly it’s a good amount of dad fat nowadays… Give me some prep time and it might be possible. 

Wouldn’t that be a fun challenge to do during training camp lmao… 

Easily... provided the exhibition is setup by a charitable organization and the defense parts like the Red Sea to open a huge running lane.  I might even be able to score a TD if the hand off doesn't knock the wind out of me AND we're lined up within 20 yards of the goal line.

This is a pleasant change from the constant bashing of Ballard on here…..lol

I will preface my answer by saying that I played a pickup basketball game (or 6) a few years ago in Kansas City with the RT of the Miami Hurricanes and his athleticism for a 6’5” & 315 pound dude was off the bleeping charts! He would grab a board, lead a break, dribble like a PG, spin moves, etc. He was a beast…..

In theory defensive lineman and linebackers are even more athletic in space…..

So no matter how fast I am/was I think given four tries at 3 feet I’d probably fail unless I have a heckuva OLine…..lol

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

This is a pleasant change from the constant bashing of Ballard on here…..lol

I will preface my answer by saying that I played a pickup basketball game (or 6) a few years ago in Kansas City with the RT of the Miami Hurricanes and his athleticism for a 6’5” & 315 pound dude was off the bleeping charts! He would grab a board, lead a break, dribble like a PG, spin moves, etc. He was a beast…..

In theory defensive lineman and linebackers are even more athletic in space…..

So no matter how fast I am/was I think given four tries at 3 feet I’d probably fail unless I have a heckuva OLine…..lol

These dudes are delusional lol

I voted no way.

I am61 yrs old  5'10 ish 200 lbs and in really good shape. Probably better than most of  you young bucks    But in no way do I think I could beat them on  a one yard play. Maybe one out of 100.   

But they will not beat me in a swimming pool either

I'm good with that.  

Archived