Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A line man of some type.    Either a DE for more pass rush… 

OR…

The best center or guard, whichever the Colts need by the draft.  

But here’s the problem….   If the Colts trade up, odds are pick 35 would be part of the trade package.   That would be disappointing. 

9 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I’ve always had the Polian train of thought where you can find lineman in the latter rounds.

Or converting slower RTs to RGs with NFL strength regimen, that is always a possibility, just like former TEs are put on practice squads and made into swing tackles like Joe Reitz was for us. Raimann was a former TE too.

Edge or WR unless an elite OL (John Michael-Schmitz) is available there. This is a deep Edge group, and I’m not sold on Dayo and Paye yet. But even if you like they’re trajectory, they shouldn’t prevent you from drafting Keon White, Derick Hall, etc…

WR I’m lower on because the guys I feel could be difference makers (Addison, JSN, and Johnston) might all be gone by then. But if one slips, I’d take them in a heartbeat. I also like Zay Flowers at 35.

Realize its early at the combine to make a BPA pick, but if the combine was complete, only one player that has Colts written all over him, If Okereke does move on to another team this to me is a no brainer.

MLB Jack Campbell (Iowa) – great athletic that tested well at the combine 9.98 RAS – won 2022 Butkus Award as the top LB and William V Campbell Trophy as a scholar-athlete.  Named Nagurski-Woodson Defensive POY.  PFF Week 8 TOW honors.

Last year for the draft I projected a high RAS draft class, and the Colts did just that.  Look for the Colts to continue this model in this year's draft.

The draft in that range is strong in a few positions - pass rushers, TE, WR and CB... 

CB is very strong throughout the top 100 even... 

IMO any of those is a possible direction we go. TE is probably least likely because we've gotten 3 TEs in last 2 drafts and Ballard specifically mentioned Ogletree in his media appearances this week, which tells me he is one they are relying on to be good. But damn, I do like some of those TEs... Musgrave, Kincaid... those are dynamic weapons and we need that type of weapon. 

DE has good variety of top end athletes at the position and we know how much Ballard loves his pass-rushers on day 2. 

The WR class is supposed to be a bit weaker that year... at least at the top... but IMO day 2 has some intriguing options, that we need to seriously consider if they are there... Hyatt if he doesn't go R1... Flowers, Downs, JSN(if he falls), Tank Dell... Tyler Scott will probably destroy the combine and might go higher than he's projected now... 

The interior OL is not very deep in this draft so... it's possible Ballard might target one early, before the really good ones all get off the board. 

This sounds like a ton of options, but indeed I think the board will be wide open for this team. We have plenty of open spots and opportunities for players to make early impact .

10 hours ago, stitches said:

The draft in that range is strong in a few positions - pass rushers, TE, WR and CB... 

CB is very strong throughout the top 100 even... 

IMO any of those is a possible direction we go. TE is probably least likely because we've gotten 3 TEs in last 2 drafts and Ballard specifically mentioned Ogletree in his media appearances this week, which tells me he is one they are relying on to be good. But damn, I do like some of those TEs... Musgrave, Kincaid... those are dynamic weapons and we need that type of weapon. 

DE has good variety of top end athletes at the position and we know how much Ballard loves his pass-rushers on day 2. 

The WR class is supposed to be a bit weaker that year... at least at the top... but IMO day 2 has some intriguing options, that we need to seriously consider if they are there... Hyatt if he doesn't go R1... Flowers, Downs, JSN(if he falls), Tank Dell... Tyler Scott will probably destroy the combine and might go higher than he's projected now... 

The interior OL is not very deep in this draft so... it's possible Ballard might target one early, before the really good ones all get off the board. 

This sounds like a ton of options, but indeed I think the board will be wide open for this team. We have plenty of open spots and opportunities for players to make early impact .

Most of the tight ends are the F-type split out wide.   They are not the Y-types which I think is what the Colts want need.  The Notre Dame kid, Mayer, Meyer is the best Y tight end and I don’t see him lasting to 35.   The big Oregon State kid might also be an F-type, but there are some questions about him. 

It IS a great class of TEs.  Still, I like the young guys in the Colts TE room. 

A WR would be nice. It would be great to trade up for that TE from Notre Dame but that's not happening. Maybe the 2nd pick could be used on Doubling Down on QB's and getting Hooker, but that's not happening either. 

Certainly don't want any linemen, that can be addressed in FA and trades for all ready proven players that can contribute right away.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Most of the tight ends are the F-type split out wide.   They are not the Y-types which I think is what the Colts want need.  The Notre Dame kid, Mayer, Meyer is the best Y tight end and I don’t see him lasting to 35.   The big Oregon State kid might also be an F-type, but there are some questions about him. 

It IS a great class of TEs.  Still, I like the young guys in the Colts TE room. 

I thought a F type was a Jaguar???   :funny:

Top Gear Car GIF

Definitely an OL, if we keep the pick.  BTW, paying attention to the combine, though, there are some EDGEs that are getting my attention.  Will McDonald IV of IowA St. in the 2nd or YaYa Diaby of Louisville in the 3rd would make me pretty happy.  Get that FA OG from Philly in FA, and we can afford to snag a pass-rusher pretty early…

7 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Not exactly more prevalent.....  Still can only line up 5 OL and 3-4 DL at a time.... 

The rule changes have made double teaming and chop blocks illegal for linemen.  Thus making the position more prevalent that the individual talent level is more valuable, thus harder to find. 

Every GM in the league is looking for more talented linemen.  Offensive linemen are the 2nd hardest position to fill behind QBs. 

That might be a good spot to find a dominate guard or center, if one is worth that high of a pick. We need to shore up the middle of the OL..

O’Cyrus Torrence- OG, Florida 6'5 345.

Issue with him is he's all over the map. From a possible late 1st, to a 4th rounder. Most likely, a mid 2nd to 3rd..

John Michael Schmitz-C, Minnesota 

Best center prospect available. I'd take him.

6'4 320 LB's..

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

If we can't get a IOL or DE we like I'd be fine with Darnell Washington (TE). Because DAMN...

Washington is one of my crushes.   But I’ve yet to see a mock in the last month or so that didn’t have Washington going in the first R.   I think 35 is going to be too late for him.    Wish it wasn’t so….

John Michael Schmitz would be my choice and then unload Kelly.  

There should be quality edge rushers, slot receivers, CB’s, and IOL there.  All needs. There’s a lot of quality CB’s so I think they could hold off on CB’s there.  I do expect Ballard to trade down there. 

As promised now that the Combine here is my list:

Round 2

• DE Adetomiwa Adebawore (NW) - A 4.49 40-yard dash is insane for a man weighing 280lbs.   Adebawore got that Tyquan Lewis and Dayo build Round 2 moniker.  With both Lewis and Ngakoue FAs could be a solid pick knowing Adebawore ran that on our home field.  Intelligence rules and a 9.85 RAS makes this an ideal pick.  Assume we could even trade back with Carolina and still acquire Adebawore.
  • MLB Jack Campbell (Iowa) - See earlier post especially with teams inquiring about Okereke at the Combine
  • SS Sydney Brown (Illinois) - Another highly intelligent player 9.63 RAS and to me was the Combine winner of his group.  Didn't help he posted a 4.47 40-yard dash.  Loved what McLeod was able to do last season but at 32 yo need to find a true replacement as my last year's analysis of Nick Cross boom-or-bust label is still debatable. 

Even go so far and predict Round 3

TE Zack Kuntz (Old Dominion) - Kuntz is Jelani Woods 2.0 NFL Combine 2022 performance winner. – Kuntz impressed at the Combine finishing second in class for the 40-yard dash, 1st vertical jump, 1st broad jump, 1st 3-cone + 10.00 RAS. 

I’m starting to think about Dawand Jones.  If you can get him down into the 340s, you might have a pretty special RT.  Just massive length with surprising movement skills for his size.  He’s probably likely to be down into the 350s by TC, no matter who selects him.

On 3/5/2023 at 2:32 PM, John Hammonds said:

My hopefuls for pick #35 have been

• Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Miss St
  • Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee
  • Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

However, all three have made enough noise to push them into the first round, and we'll probably not have a chance at any of them.

Jalin Hyatt is DeSean Jackson all over, limited route tree, just go routes. Marvin Mims Jr. on the other hand, just like Zay Flowers, has the speed and is a YAC monster with the ball in his hands. That is why I feel this WR class has few complete WRs, they are mostly role players that fit maybe half of an offense's snaps, no one is worthy of Round 1, IMO. Day 2 WRs, would not be be predominantly every down WRs, and that is what everyone is. 

If I were to draft one, I would go with Marvin Mims Jr. on Day 2 with a better route tree, Hyatt could be a one trick pony. If we sign Parris Campbell, we don't even need a skill position player unless someone like Zay Flowers falls to the top of the 3rd round, where guys like Tyler Lockett, T.Y. Hilton were drafted. I would just keep using our multiple receiving TEs in Ogletree, Woods and Granson constantly as a 3rd WR/Flanker from time to time.

Archived