Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

For me Stroud would be a rookie who hasn’t demonstrated he can play in this league.  I like him a lot but he is still an unknown.  He could fail.  There is also no guarantee Stroud falls to us.  The only way to guarantee you get him is to trade to number one.  Fields, on the other hand, has proven he can play.  On top of that I love his measurements.  6’3” 228lbs.  The size I love for a quarterback.  I would much rather trade for Fields than the number one pick.  That said I would be surprised if they traded him. 

The bottom line is does Ballard grade Stroud high enough to risk the draft capital to move up? Colts themselves have a valuable #4 pick so we may see some wheeling and dealing ourselves.  

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Hopefully not to us I rather have Stroud than Fields

Agree. while Fields is superior athletically, Stroud possess many of the traits of current successful NFL quarterbacks. 

Teams have bet high on superior physical traits with very mixed results. Zach Wilson is the latest example.

On Stroud:

besides being very accurate,

"His greatest asset, though, is his brain and ability to process. That’s not to say he does not have genuine arm strength. But that works in conjunction with his pre-snap ability to read defenses and make adjustments.

While bringing pressure against a less mobile quarterback might make sense by conventional wisdom, if often plays into Stroud’s advantage, because he’ll take the trade-off of the hurried throw against the numbers advantage he now has downfield."

He has also shown to be mobile enough to create time and space.

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Wanna bet on it? Why do u  think  Shanahan was on the phone calling Jimmy? He saw enough in that pre season game

I don't gamble but that would be like calling Jordan Love a bust

Give him 1 year maybe 2 before you give up on the kid

41 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something to watch in draft. I don’t think they will move on from Murray but it wouldn’t be the craziest thing for them to draft a QB then trade Murray when healthy.

The draft should hopefully be deep enough at QB that they’ll take someone in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

26 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The draft should hopefully be deep enough at QB that they’ll take someone in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

What a bad contract for Murray. 230 million 5 year extension. Browns really screwed the QB market with the Watson deal.

I can also see Cardinals taking a flyer on a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I'm curious to know everyone top 5 needs

1. QB

2. G/C

3. CB

4. T depth

5. EDGE

Honorable mention - WR

1. QB goes without saying. I don't care how close to the vest Ballard wants to be about it, we will take a QB. Just praying it's not Levis.

2. G/C needs to be fixed. I have a feeling Kelly might consider retirement and I wouldn't blame him. I feel like the guy is always playing hurt especially this season. RG was a constant revolving door and we need to find a solution there.

3. CB depends what we do with Kenny and Gilmore. Kenny I feel like is an easy move to the Bears. It makes perfect sense and it costs us nothing to cut him. Gilmore depends if he wants to be here. He's still playing at a high level and might wanna chase one more ring before he starts to decline.

4. LT is obviously still a need, but Raimann has been pretty good down the stretch which is why Id rather bring a vet T to mentor him and fill in when needed. 

5. EDGE depends on Yannick honestly. I like Yannick, but is he worth paying 20 mil to? No. I like Dayo and Paye and I actually wanna see them continue to grow together. Tyquan I hated seeing get hurt because you can make an argument he was our best edge.

HM - I feel like this comes down to rather or not Parris gets re-signed and if Ballard wants to pay Pitt 15-17 mil a year. 

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

1. QB

2. G/C

3. CB

4. T depth

5. EDGE

Honorable mention - WR

1. QB goes without saying. I don't care how close to the vest Ballard wants to be about it, we will take a QB. Just praying it's not Levis.

2. G/C needs to be fixed. I have a feeling Kelly might consider retirement and I wouldn't blame him. I feel like the guy is always playing hurt especially this season. RG was a constant revolving door and we need to find a solution there.

3. CB depends what we do with Kenny and Gilmore. Kenny I feel like is an easy move to the Bears. It makes perfect sense and it costs us nothing to cut him. Gilmore depends if he wants to be here. He's still playing at a high level and might wanna chase one more ring before he starts to decline.

4. LT is obviously still a need, but Raimann has been pretty good down the stretch which is why Id rather bring a vet T to mentor him and fill in when needed. 

5. EDGE depends on Yannick honestly. I like Yannick, but is he worth paying 20 mil to? No. I like Dayo and Paye and I actually wanna see them continue to grow together. Tyquan I hated seeing get hurt because you can make an argument he was our best edge.

HM - I feel like this comes down to rather or not Parris gets re-signed and if Ballard wants to pay Pitt 15-17 mil a year. 

I think you nailed it. 

at #1 QB is a must.

At pick 35 ( If they still own it) I would like to see the Colt go cornerback. The team has a big need for a young potential shutdown cornerback on a rookie contract.

Alternative at #35 is an OT and potentially slide Smith to guard. I think Raimann will only get better.

I think the team can still get good quality offensive line depth in the 3/4 rounds. I believe they will go with Kelly for another year unless he retires.

In free agency - I hope the team acquires a stretch the field -veteran wide receiver and a starting quality guard/center.

5 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I think you nailed it. 

at #1 QB is a must.

At pick 35 ( If they still own it) I would like to see the Colt go cornerback. The team has a big need for a young potential shutdown cornerback on a rookie contract.

Alternative at #35 is an OT and potentially slide Smith to guard. I think Raimann will only get better.

I think the team can still get good quality offensive line depth in the 3/4 rounds. I believe they will go with Kelly for another year unless he retires.

In free agency - I hope the team acquires a stretch the field -veteran wide receiver and a starting quality guard/center.

I would love either Christian Gonzalez or Devon Witherspoon in the Colts secondary. 

30 minutes ago, CR91 said:

1. QB

2. G/C

3. CB

4. T depth

5. EDGE

Honorable mention - WR

Yannick depends on our DC.  Hard to see us letting go a 9.5 sack ER.  We did trade for him after all.   I really want Paris back along with Okeroke.  Retain your own Ballard preaches.  Got to go and get Levis for sure.  

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yannick depends on our DC.  Hard to see us letting go a 9.5 sack ER.  We did trade for him after all.   I really want Paris back along with Okeroke.  Retain your own Ballard preaches.  Got to go and get Levis for sure.  

I said NOT Levis. He rejected the invite to the Senior Bowl. Ballard is not gonna like that.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I said NOT Levis. He rejected the invite to the Senior Bowl. Ballard is not gonna like that.

And I said YES Levis.  Who cares about the Senior Bowl.  All he needs to do is play and get hurt.  He has nothing to prove in a meaningless Senior Bowl game.  Nothing.  

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

And I said YES Levis.  Who cares about the Senior Bowl.  All he needs to do is play and get hurt.  He has nothing to prove in a meaningless Senior Bowl game.  Nothing.  

His last season says otherwise. Not to mention we all know how much weight Ballard puts in the senior bowl

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If Love had game,  they would have traded Rodgers.

Rodgers is gone. He won’t be back.

2 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

What a bad contract for Murray. 230 million 5 year extension. Browns really screwed the QB market with the Watson deal.

I can also see Cardinals taking a flyer on a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

They might do what eagles did to protect themselves. This would make sense. 

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Apparently, you’ve learned nothing about what Ballard thinks is important.   If there is ONE Bowl that’s NOT meaningless, it’s the Senior Bowl.   And Levis has everything to prove if he really cares what the NFL thinks.    

Archived