Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

10 minutes ago, Lurk McGurk said:

The Texans aren't just competing with the Colts.  They have to be concerned that other teams want their guy too.  The Texans will almost certainly make an offer to move up to make sure they get their QB1.  It's not realistic to think they wouldn't explore that option and just be fine with losing whoever it is they prefer.  Really the only question is, how much will they be willing to give up?

By bigger point was Texans have the second pick. So they have a lot more room to just wait and pick at 2.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

By bigger point was Texans have the second pick. So they have a lot more room to just wait and pick at 2.

That's fair.  I guess I just don't see the Texans being content with possibly getting the second guy on their list.  Considering it's the most important position in all of sports, and has a huge impact on the franchise financially as well.

I don't for a minute think Ballard will just draft any of the top QB's that are left when the Colts pick in April.

I believe he will zero in on one particular QB that most closely projects as a franchise QB in his eyes.

I think Stroud most likely fits the bill for Ballard with his proven production, measurables , and intangibles at this point in time.

If he cannot make a reasonable deal to move up to acquire that targeted.QB, or that QB does not fall to #4, Ballard will trade back and add draft capitol - then taking a shot on a Hooker or Richardson type.

The longer it takes to form a consensus as to the clear #1 QB in this draft class -the more it will hurt the Bears chances of acquiring a kings ransom for the #1 overall pick.

Get your popcorn - there will be an incredible amount of posturing, smoke, and "leaks" coming the next couple of months. 

1 minute ago, Lurk McGurk said:

That's fair.  I guess I just don't see the Texans being content with possibly getting the second guy on their list.  Considering it's the most important position in all of sports, and has a huge impact on the franchise financially as well.

They are in same position as colts. Only trade up if their is one they feel separates themselves from the other and they have to have. Agents also provide a lot on intel to teams. Sometimes so their client go go to the best situation. So the intel colts and Texans  get will be big. Also lurking is if they don’t trade up a team farther behind might so always  have to keep  that in mind. That is probably more of a concern for colts then Texans.

1 minute ago, Dobbinblitz said:

I don't for a minute think Ballard will just draft any of the top QB's that are left when the Colts pick in April.

I believe he will zero in on one particular QB that most closely projects as a franchise QB in his eyes.

I think Stroud most likely fits the bill for Ballard with his proven production, measurables , and intangibles at this point in time.

If he cannot make a reasonable deal to move up to acquire that targeted.QB, or that QB does not fall to #4, Ballard will trade back and add draft capitol - then taking a shot on a Hooker or Richardson type.

The longer it takes to form a consensus as to the clear #1 QB in this draft class -the more it will hurt the Bears chances of acquiring a kings ransom for the #1 overall pick.

Get your popcorn - there will be an incredible amount of posturing, smoke, and "leaks" coming the next couple of months. 

I agree about most of this. I don’t think though he would wait on hooker or another QB. He might not get his preferred choice but I think he will like the others well enough to take one of the 3. They all have great character and high leadership.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They are in same position as colts. Only trade up if their is one they feel separates themselves from the other and they have to have. Agents also provide a lot on intel to teams. Sometimes so their client go go to the best situation. So the intel colts and Texans  get will be big. Also lurking is if they don’t trade up a team farther behind might so always  have to keep  that in mind. That is probably more of a concern for colts then Texans.

I agree. Intel is definitely going to play a major part in all of the teams decisions, including the Bears (for double trade down possibilities).  I'm super anxious to find out how it all plays out. haha

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I agree about most of this. I don’t think though he would wait on hooker or another QB. He might not get his preferred choice but I think he will like the others well enough to take one of the 3. They all have great character and high leadership.

After the last few years of QB carousel and disappointing results , I imagine the team will go all in to acquire their top rated QB prospect on their board. I don't think they settle this time around. If it works out - no one will remember the price paid to acquire that player.

28 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

After the last few years of QB carousel and disappointing results , I imagine the team will go all in to acquire their top rated QB prospect on their board. I don't think they settle this time around. If it works out - no one will remember the price paid to acquire that player.

They are taking bennett at 4 lol

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

This guy thinks the Colts should bring back Jacoby Brissett

As a back up sure.  Long term starter no thanks.   I said at the time Jacoby was better than some thought.  He’s a high end back up who can be a spot or bridge starter if you need him to be.

2 hours ago, Aces101 said:

Anthony Richardson in terms of size/physicality, toughness, and arm strength 

It's my understanding that he doesn't get rattled, is a quick learner and is a hard worker too.

Unfortunately, this will be about the timing of it all. Ballard, for his job security, needs the QB with the highest floor, for quicker returns. I wish he had the luxury of time to be patient with Richardson, because he's the one with the highest ceiling. 

My heart tells me he's the one to get. You can't win the lottery if you don't take the chance in buying a ticket.

However, my head tells me he won't be the one that they'll draft.

11 hours ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Speculation on Carolina as a possible serious contender for the #1 overall pick.

https://beargoggleson.com/2023/01/27/chicago-bears-draft-pick-better/

This definitely makes sense. People seem fixated on Chicago taking Anderson or Carter. Poles has said his main objective has and will be to help Fields by surrounding him with talent. That starts up front. Even if they trade down in the top 4, I feel they will trade down again to stock picks. Anderson and Carter are nice players but I don't see Poles taking a risk on one player. He is more of the obtain more picks and increase chances of upgrading talent guy.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I would be very very interested if the Bears were exploring trading Justin Fields.  I hope this rumor has legs.

It would be negligence if they didn’t at least look at the other quarterbacks. I just doubt it happens. He is loved in that locker room. Fans would be so mad. But if they did colts would have to have to   a discussion  it’s also part  of driving up the price for the first pick.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The quarterback market is going to be wild this off season. My guess is Rodgers is traded. So love won’t be available. I can’t put my finger on if Lance will be on the move.  Will Carolina take a run at Carr? Lamar Jackson and if ravens get him locked up. Going to change a lot when draft gets here.

Garoppolo will walk

49ers will keep Lance 

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The quarterback market is going to be wild this off season. My guess is Rodgers is traded. So love won’t be available. I can’t put my finger on if Lance will be on the move.  Will Carolina take a run at Carr? Lamar Jackson and if ravens get him locked up. Going to change a lot when draft gets here.

I can see Carolina making a run at Carr.  Reich would love him.  I think Rodgers is traded as well.  Jets already said they want to bring in a veteran and now Hackett is their OC.  I can definitely see him going there.  Lot of veteran quarterback movement again.

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I can see Carolina making a run at Carr.  Reich would love him.  I think Rodgers is traded as well.  Jets already said they want to bring in a veteran and now Hackett is their OC.  I can definitely see him going there.  Lot of veteran quarterback movement again.

I am torn on Carr and Carolina. I think their ownership and Reich  is tired of rotating QB. But would Carr be different then the others they have tried. He would be a good fit there. They are in a weird place. They could still be in position to get the 3rd QB. May have to do a small trade up. Levis fits Reichs system well. Ownership apparently likes stroud. Carr I think had to be traded by Feb 15th. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am torn on Carr and Carolina. I think their ownership and Reich  is tired of rotating QB. But would Carr be different then the others they have tried. He would be a good fit there. They are in a weird place. They could still be in position to get the 3rd QB. May have to do a small trade up. Levis fits Reichs system well. Ownership apparently likes stroud. Carr I think had to be traded by Feb 15th. 

They are definitely going to have to sort it out.  I could see them acquiring Carr and drafting Richardson with their 1st rd pick.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My guess is Carr goes somewhere in that division. All four teams could use him. Tampa if Brady retires or moves on  has a lot of weapons too.

Not that it means a lot but Carr and Reich are both very religious.  I believe Wentz is as well.  I think Reich being a former quarterback running a team has a big advantage when a veteran quarterback who has a choice to make on which team to go to makes his decision.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Hopefully not to us I rather have Stroud than Fields

For me Stroud would be a rookie who hasn’t demonstrated he can play in this league.  I like him a lot but he is still an unknown.  He could fail.  There is also no guarantee Stroud falls to us.  The only way to guarantee you get him is to trade to number one.  Fields, on the other hand, has proven he can play.  On top of that I love his measurements.  6’3” 228lbs.  The size I love for a quarterback.  I would much rather trade for Fields than the number one pick.  That said I would be surprised if they traded him. 

Archived