Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final draft projections for top 8 teams:

1 Bears – Edge Will Anderson - upgrade over both Gipson/Robinson

2) Texans – QB

3) Falcons – QB - trade up with the Cardinals - Mariota is out and team doesn't have enough faith in Ridder as a starter

4) Colts – QB

5) Seattle – DI Jalen Carter 3-4 base fits teams needs

6) Lions – CB Devon Witherspoon

7) Raiders – QB

8) Cardinals – DI Bryan Breese 3-4 base fits teams needs

20 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Personally I think teams will ask for trade but in the end the Bears need to stay at #1 and draft Will Anderson Jr.  Both Gipson and Robison stunk for the Bears.

Texans draft BPA QB

The Cardinals also will hold onto the #3 spot and draft Jalen Carter.  JJ Watt is 33, Leki isn't the best NT but is young plus Zach Allen is playing well.

Colts draft BPA QB

I  think the Bears are targeting Carter. One thing  I agree with Ballard on is the primary need of a 3tech Dtackle to make this D work. 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I  think the Bears are targeting Carter. One thing  I agree with Ballard on is the primary need of a 3tech Dtackle to make this D work. 

Wouldn't shock me if the Bears take Carter.  The Bears whole DL sucks 

29 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If I were the Bears I think I would get Javon Hargrave in FA lock down DT and upgrade Edge.  Round 2 the Bears could go DT Moro Ojomo (Texas) or Mazi Smith (Michigan) or look at edge players Isaiah McGuire (Missouri), Zach Harrison (OSU) or Derick Hall (Auburn).

Hey all, Bears fan here. Not here to troll. Been reading up on posts by fans of teams picking behind us and you guys seem to be having a good discussion.

IMO, I don't think Poles has any interest in picking either Anderson or Carter.  I feel his whole objective is to get as many picks as possible to build around Fields. If he can obtain future pics, 1st rounders in particular, that's what he will do.

The team is so depleted of talent it will take another 2-3 years before they are even close to being competitive. Even if he were the trade down with the Texans or Colts, I believe he will try to trade down again to accumulate picks.  He is mainly looking to solidify the offensive line first.

The team has enough money to sign help on the defensive side.  He wants to give Fields enough help to find out if he is the guy going forward. Better to find out on his rookie deal.

Bears have done whole returning a mediocre team year to year and have finally realized it means nothing without getting the QB position right. I just see a lot of people saying Bears will stand pat and take Anderson or Carter.  My thought is they drop down within the top 10 and take offensive line and load up on picks.

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I would love JSN in 2nd if we still have it

This to me seems like the typical pre draft speak. This guy screams dependable. He reminds me (loosely) of a Reggie Wayne type. Not a speedster but rather a solid route runner with great hands. He will be a solid possession receiver imo. 

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

This to me seems like the typical pre draft speak. This guy screams dependable. He reminds me (loosely) of a Reggie Wayne type. Not a speedster but rather a solid route runner with great hands. He will be a solid possession receiver imo. 

We already  have a meh Pittman.  We need a game  changer

11 hours ago, OhioColt said:

If I were the Bears I think I would get Javon Hargrave in FA lock down DT and upgrade Edge.  Round 2 the Bears could go DT Moro Ojomo (Texas) or Mazi Smith (Michigan) or look at edge players Isaiah McGuire (Missouri), Zach Harrison (OSU) or Derick Hall (Auburn).

This draft is apparently rich in edge rushers

11 hours ago, Bearzzz said:

Hey all, Bears fan here. Not here to troll. Been reading up on posts by fans of teams picking behind us and you guys seem to be having a good discussion.

IMO, I don't think Poles has any interest in picking either Anderson or Carter.  I feel his whole objective is to get as many picks as possible to build around Fields. If he can obtain future pics, 1st rounders in particular, that's what he will do.

The team is so depleted of talent it will take another 2-3 years before they are even close to being competitive. Even if he were the trade down with the Texans or Colts, I believe he will try to trade down again to accumulate picks.  He is mainly looking to solidify the offensive line first.

The team has enough money to sign help on the defensive side.  He wants to give Fields enough help to find out if he is the guy going forward. Better to find out on his rookie deal.

Bears have done whole returning a mediocre team year to year and have finally realized it means nothing without getting the QB position right. I just see a lot of people saying Bears will stand pat and take Anderson or Carter.  My thought is they drop down within the top 10 and take offensive line and load up on picks.

Fellow Bears fan.  Agreed.  Even if it's a trade with a team like the Panthers, the Bears would much rather have 2-3 first rounders + 2-3 second rounders and whoever they would get at #9, then to just get Jalen Carter.  There's no way they would give up that much to move from #9 to #1 to draft Carter, so it seems obvious that they wouldn't pass on that to trade down.

There will be offers for the pick, and the Bears are highly likely to go with whatever the best offer is.  The safe assumption is a QB is going #1 to a team not from Chicago.

12 hours ago, Bearzzz said:

A lot of football people say future picks are always less valuable then current picks. You might be right if Anderson and Carter weee not considered elite. But it’s hard to pass on elite players. Getting a elite player plus some picks seems like a win win. Eberflus loves his 3 techs  more then edge guys.  

I don’t think bears will stay at one if Texans or colts want to move up. They are guaranteed to get Anderson or carter even if they trade down with colts or Texans. The question becomes do colts or Texans feel they need to move up. If they don’t want to move up bears may have to stay put.

20 minutes ago, Lurk McGurk said:

Fellow Bears fan.  Agreed.  Even if it's a trade with a team like the Panthers, the Bears would much rather have 2-3 first rounders + 2-3 second rounders and whoever they would get at #9, then to just get Jalen Carter.  There's no way they would give up that much to move from #9 to #1 to draft Carter, so it seems obvious that they wouldn't pass on that to trade down.

There will be offers for the pick, and the Bears are highly likely to go with whatever the best offer is.  The safe assumption is a QB is going #1 to a team not from Chicago.

I don’t think any team is going to give up that many firsts for these QB. It’s a win win for bears to get a elite DL and still get some picks. 

15 minutes ago, Lurk McGurk said:

There is no doubt that the Bears phone is rining.   Teams always  see what the price will be. To me if the Bears r asking for the teams pick plus 2 additional 1st rounds that's an absolute joke. Do u think I would give up the number 4 pick to move  up to pick any of these qbs? U go to  be out of your mind. Cause the  team that does that will most likely be picking in the top 5 next year with no 1st rounders for the next 2 years. That's is my concern with Ballard.  Is he going to be desperate knowing he  has to get the franchise qb and in the end makes a scandalous deal and doom this franchisxfor years???? Desperate men do desperate things. I do hink that Irsay is giving him 2 drafts to right this ship.

39 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We already  have a meh Pittman.  We need a game  changer

We need a playmaking and explosive WR like a Zay Flowers or Kayshon Boutte early round 2. I would also love Indy employing the 2 TE formation set if Michael Mayer were to be available early round 2 to pair with Woods longterm. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

A lot of football people say future picks are always less valuable then current picks. You might be right if Anderson and Carter weee not considered elite. But it’s hard to pass on elite players. Getting a elite player plus some picks seems like a win win. Eberflus loves his 3 techs  more then edge guys.  

I don’t think bears will stay at one if Texans or colts want to move up. They are guaranteed to get Anderson or carter even if they trade down with colts or Texans. The question becomes do colts or Texans feel they need to move up. If they don’t want to move up bears may have to stay put.

My view on this draft is that  none of the high  first rounds picks amount to much. It  will probably be that  team that's stays  with  their  you   board, u  listening Ballard, and sneaks back into the 1st and gets a guy like say Richardson.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

We need a playmaking and explosive WR like a Zay Flowers or Kayshon Boutte early round 2. I would also love Indy employing the 2 TE formation set if Michael Mayer were to be available early round 2 to pair with Woods longterm. 

Not a bad idea but  none of our tes can block.  U go with  two tight ends and that is basically telegraphic plays. 

59 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think any team is going to give up that many firsts for these QB. It’s a win win for bears to get a elite DL and still get some picks. 

But teams did it for Goff/Wentz/Lance etc.  There are a lot of examples of teams giving up a TON of assets to move up and get QB's that were also flawed, and fans would've been saying the same thing.  So while forums may not value these QB prospects, they are widely considered top 5 picks by "experts".  All it takes is one team to be extremely high on one of them.  It would take all teams not willing to give up a lot to move up for a QB in your scenario.  Of course that's possible, but going based off of what usually happens I think it's a lot more likely that there is that one team that will give a big offer.

58 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

There is no doubt that the Bears phone is rining.   Teams always  see what the price will be. To me if the Bears r asking for the teams pick plus 2 additional 1st rounds that's an absolute joke. Do u think I would give up the number 4 pick to move  up to pick any of these qbs? U go to  be out of your mind. Cause the  team that does that will most likely be picking in the top 5 next year with no 1st rounders for the next 2 years. That's is my concern with Ballard.  Is he going to be desperate knowing he  has to get the franchise qb and in the end makes a scandalous deal and doom this franchisxfor years???? Desperate men do desperate things. I do hink that Irsay is giving him 2 drafts to right this ship.

Teams do it all the time.  Basically every year that there's some highly ranked QB's (recently), and a team that doesn't think they need one at the top of the draft, there's a team that gives up a ton.  And you're right. Desperate men do desperate things.  GM's don't get another shot at GM.  Drafting a QB will probably give Ballard a few more seasons as that QB is given time to develop. Ballard has job security as an incentive to draft a QB.  In that case, is he comfortable sitting at #4 and seeing what happens?  Risking losing the guy he really wants?  We'll find out.  But there is going to be at least one desperate team in all likelihood.  We all have our opinions on that, but the past shows us that's likely.

I would take Rice at 35 if he is still there

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Zay will go around 20 in 1st

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Trading up is double edged sword!

The risk is high but if Ballard gets a QB he is confident in and that QB goes on to be a top 10 QB then trades worth it.

I think Zay ends up in LAC NYG or Dallas 

Welp, if anybody is playing the PFF Mock draft simulator, you can trade down from pick 4 multiple times and usually pick Tanner McKee at the bottom of the first AND get Hendon Hooker in the third.   AND get an extra 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks next year.  In addition to about 4 extra picks this year.

Both McKee AND Hooker and plenty of capital to trade up next year if you still are not satisfied, and fill a bunch of holes in the roster.   

If real life is anything like PFF (and I assume there are trade offers during the first round quite a bit)...a team is REALLY going to have to love Young, Stroud, or Levis to forego all of the capital pick 4 can bring.

Not saying that pick 4 by itself is that expensive, but being that high means that there is plenty of space to take two or three trades to get to pick 26....and then trade some of the picks you acquire with those trades to get more picks...and have plenty of players.

17 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It why I don't think they trade down to 4.   Carter is already rated better than Anderson, and if the combine confirms that there would be a chance CHI loses him to ARZ if they do a predraft trade with the Colts.    CHI trades with HOU, then HOU takes Stroud and CHI takes Carter.  

I think ARZ stands pat to take Anderson then Colts have their choice of Levis, Young, or a trade out for another team to take their favorite.   

CHI can get capital from simply trading with HOU, and I think they have the first pick in round 2 that can fetch more picks via trade as they stay above pick 45.  They can get their 3T and probably three additional good picks with 2 simple trades.

3 hours ago, Lurk McGurk said:

But teams did it for Goff/Wentz/Lance etc.  There are a lot of examples of teams giving up a TON of assets to move up and get QB's that were also flawed, and fans would've been saying the same thing.  So while forums may not value these QB prospects, they are widely considered top 5 picks by "experts".  All it takes is one team to be extremely high on one of them.  It would take all teams not willing to give up a lot to move up for a QB in your scenario.  Of course that's possible, but going based off of what usually happens I think it's a lot more likely that there is that one team that will give a big offer.

Teams do it all the time.  Basically every year that there's some highly ranked QB's (recently), and a team that doesn't think they need one at the top of the draft, there's a team that gives up a ton.  And you're right. Desperate men do desperate things.  GM's don't get another shot at GM.  Drafting a QB will probably give Ballard a few more seasons as that QB is given time to develop. Ballard has job security as an incentive to draft a QB.  In that case, is he comfortable sitting at #4 and seeing what happens?  Risking losing the guy he really wants?  We'll find out.  But there is going to be at least one desperate team in all likelihood.  We all have our opinions on that, but the past shows us that's likely.

I worry that the Raiders are going to give up absolutely everything in the next few years for the top pick. It just feels like a move they make.

I think if Cardinals stay at 3 some team would trade them a HUGE haul to get ahead of Indianapolis 

5 minutes ago, colts89 said:

I worry that the Raiders are going to give up absolutely everything in the next few years for the top pick. It just feels like a move they make.

I could see them going after Rodgers or Brady 

38 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

How would that be embarrassing 

No QB in this draft is worth the farm

If colts have one QB they feel they need and panthers get him that would be embarrassing. Doesn’t matter what fans think about these QB.

Zach hicks thinks Levis with his quick release  fits Reichs  offense very well.

Archived