Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Not just the weight, but being short makes it way harder to see downfield without having to scramble or take deep drop-backs (most O-linemen and D-linemen are much much taller than Young is), which is one reason that taller QBs are much prefered.

I'm not sure how "clear" it is that Young is even more talented...he played on stacked teams on both sides of the ball, normally played with the lead and his first read was usually open...same with Stroud at Ohio State.  The fact that Levis played in a pro style offense at Kentucky and the one year he had a good OC he managed to win 10 games and a bowl game at Kentucky in the tough SEC says a lot.  

Obviously none of us know who will have the best career of all the QBs in this draft, but I think Levis will surprise a lot of his detractors.  There are reasons that so many paid NFL scouts have him high on their lists.

Kyler makes it work. Also you might wanna check Levis's record vs the SEC. Its not pretty.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Has he? He hasn’t looked great.

Rookie and sophomore year really actually pretty good. Third year, he got them to the playoffs and the cards were in first place for a long time before he got hurt.

47 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Rookie and sophomore year really actually pretty good. Third year, he got them to the playoffs and the cards were in first place for a long time before he got hurt.

He seems to lack toughness and is a little immature yet. They have been in good spots then he falls apart second half of season. We will see if that is kingsbury or it was Murray now they will have a new coach.

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He seems to lack toughness and is a little immature yet. They have been in good spots then he falls apart second half of season. We will see if that is kingsbury or it was Murray now they will have a new coach.

Murray is a petulant child. Casserley was right about him coming out of college and got crucified for it. 

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

But his size does not deter his ability to play. That's my point.

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

And he was as able to do that in large part because he was on the sidelines for almost his entire rookie season.  

I have Sirius radio in my car.  A few years back I listened to Andy Reid give a long off-season interview on the NFL Network about his young prodigy QB.   How their interviews went.  The type of notes he took in meeting rooms.   How Mahomes paid attention to how Steve Smith handled his business.  On and on,  Reid had a plan that he felt Mahomes needed.  Mahomes was raw and needed to be refined with a rookie year where he could just watch and learn.   

If Mahomes had played his rookie year, he likely would’ve won more than 4 games, but he wasn’t going to win 10 games and make the playoffs.  He just wasn’t ready. 

Steve Smith?  I thought he caught passes not throw them, and I dont think he played for the Chiefs.  I'm sure you meant Alex Smith, the QB.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Kyler makes it work. Also you might wanna check Levis's record vs the SEC. Its not pretty.

Kyler isn't that great and finished the year hurt...can't see down field so has to scramble and wait until someone is open.

Peyton's college record vs Florida was horrible...how did his NFL career turn out? Brady rode the bench for the majority of his time in Michigan, how were his stats? 

I can keep doing this with hall of fame QBs as long as you need me to. College stats are meaningless in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Levis interviews will be very important to understand why he made the mistakes he made. That stuff we won’t be privy too.  They will be able to figure out if it is processing errors he just isn’t smart to fix or talent around him.

The 50/50 balls with NFL WRs would be completely different than with Kentucky WRs vs the SEC... Are some of the mistakes his fault, sure. But are the majority of them? No.

Just now, coltsblue1844 said:

Kyler isn't that great and finished the year hurt...can't see down field so has to scramble and wait until someone is open.

Peyton's college record vs Florida was horrible...how did his NFL career turn out? Brady rode the bench for the majority of his time in Michigan, how were his stats? 

I can keep doing this with hall of fame QBs as long as you need me to. College stats are meaningless in the NFL.

And yet the cards were one of the best teams the last two years before this year so clearly Kyler can play. So we're comparing Levis to two of the greatest QBs of all time. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Apparently the cards though he was to pay him a quarter bill

They also added into his contract the fact that he's a slacker when it comes to studying the game, and then were shamed into taking it out

Just now, CR91 said:

And yet the cards were one of the best teams the last two years before this year so clearly Kyler can play. So we're comparing Levis to two of the greatest QBs of all time. 

No, I'm simply pointing out how meaningless college stats are.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

One of the best teams? What did they win? Didn't we beat them on the road last season, while we were shorthanded?

10 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

One of the best teams? What did they win? Didn't we beat them on the road last season, while we were shorthanded?

They were undefeated halfway through the season and were the number one seed before Kyler got hurt.

12 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

They also added into his contract the fact that he's a slacker when it comes to studying the game, and then were shamed into taking it out

Ok. What does that have to do with Kyler's size affecting his ability to play?

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

They were undefeated halfway through the season and were the number one seed before Kyler got hurt.

Ok. What does that have to do with Kyler's size affecting his ability to play?

He sure seems to get hurt a lot, huh...wonder if that's size related??

It has to do with him not being as good as you think he is...I don't see coaches lining up to interview for the vacant job there, with Kyler, either.

4 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

He sure seems to get hurt a lot, huh...wonder if that's size related??

It has to do with him not being as good as you think he is...I don't see coaches lining up to interview for the vacant job there, with Kyler, either.

Lucky for Bryce, he doesn't need to run to make up for his size. He can throw with the best of them.

3 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

He didn't. I just don't blindly fall in love with someone because of their size and "traits", especially after watching every game of his from start to finish for two years. I'm done having this conversation with you.

The UK fans I know in Lexington agree with you.

40 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Lucky for Bryce, he doesn't need to run to make up for his size. He can throw with the best of them.

Not at Alabama, where he has an NFL O line and WRs around him every year he's been there. Stetson Bennett looked like a hall of fame QB, playing on a loaded team at Georgia... doesn't mean he would look the same in the NFL

8 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Not at Alabama, where he has an NFL O line and WRs around him every year he's been there. Stetson Bennett looked like a hall of fame QB, playing on a loaded team at Georgia... doesn't mean he would look the same in the NFL

You really wanna just put all QBs in a box because they played at bama or Ohio State? Tua and Jalen look good to me. Fields can be very good if he has talent around him. 

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You really wanna just put all QBs in a box because they played at bama or Ohio State? Tua and Jalen look good to me. Fields can be very good if he has talent around him. 

Do you wanna put a QB in a box, because he played on a horrible team at Kentucky, in the loaded SEC? Last year with better coaches etc Kentucky won 10 games and their bowl game

54 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Do you wanna put a QB in a box, because he played on a horrible team at Kentucky, in the loaded SEC? Last year with better coaches etc Kentucky won 10 games and their bowl game

On a top 4 pick? Yes. I'm not risking a high pick on the off chance Levis is Josh Allen

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I personally want Stroud and I fully expect Bryce to get to 205-215. Teams are gonna want him to add weight.

Sometimes a persons frame can’t handle the extra weight.  He has a very small frame.

Going back to what Ballard said he looks for in a QB. Stroud checks every single box. Bryce might too if he wasn’t so small.

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sometimes a persons frame can’t handle the extra weight.  He has a very small frame.

Going back to what Ballard said he looks for in a QB. Stroud checks every single box. Bryce might too if he wasn’t so small.

Which could be a problem, but that's what teams are gonna want him to do. He can't play under 200 pounds 

On 1/24/2023 at 6:41 AM, NewColtsFan said:

And he was as able to do that in large part because he was on the sidelines for almost his entire rookie season.  

I have Sirius radio in my car.  A few years back I listened to Andy Reid give a long off-season interview on the NFL Network about his young prodigy QB.   How their interviews went.  The type of notes he took in meeting rooms.   How Mahomes paid attention to how Steve Smith handled his business.  On and on,  Reid had a plan that he felt Mahomes needed.  Mahomes was raw and needed to be refined with a rookie year where he could just watch and learn.   

If Mahomes had played his rookie year, he likely would’ve won more than 4 games, but he wasn’t going to win 10 games and make the playoffs.  He just wasn’t ready. 

My friend is a KC fan and I remember him freaking out about reports coming out of KC camp about Mahomes in his rookie year - he was throwing tons and tons of picks in practice. Having a plan for the QB you draft is instrumental in their success. Once you get that QB, priority no. 1 for that coaching staff should be to get him ready to play. Having plan for development and the guy buying into it and following through with his work can be the difference between a bust and a long successful NFL career. 

And that doesn't mean plans can't change if he shows great improvements... or if he's struggling more than expected. 

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Which could be a problem, but that's what teams are gonna want him to do. He can't play under 200 pounds 

We finally agreed on something! Lol if Bryce were 6'4* 220lbs, I'd even trade up to 1 for him...but the way teams inflate height and weight, I think he's just too small and I definitely wouldn't want him as our QB...Stroud I'm 50/50 on, but wouldn't be upset with...I just honestly think that Levis will be better 

3 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

We finally agreed on something! Lol if Bryce were 6'4* 220lbs, I'd even trade up to 1 for him...but the way teams inflate height and weight, I think he's just too small and I definitely wouldn't want him as our QB...Stroud I'm 50/50 on, but wouldn't be upset with...I just honestly think that Levis will be better.

To each their own.

Archived