Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 1959Colts said:

I wonder if they will make any more changes to the O-Line this week?

Maybe. But honestly what else can they do at this point? They've probably seen just about every combination between training and practice. We can't get it done with who we have.

38 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sam cant be worse. Turnovers are unacceptable 

He can for sure be worse. Will he be? I guess we will see.  Dont forget the comebacks Matt has led this year.  Turnovers are going to happen. The pick 6 was an unfortunate one. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

is this a shot at Ballard.

I think that's a shot at a lot of people...Ballard, himself, the majority of the offensive coaching staff, many of the offensive players etc

49 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Maybe the colts can put pressure on him to retire . Fine him a couple times or make up a fake rumor . 

I hope that was a poor attempt at a joke.  Because otherwise it's just despicable. 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Maybe. But honestly what else can they do at this point? They've probably seen just about every combination between training and practice. We can't get it done with who we have.

I have not had a chance to rewatch yesterday's game, but many (including Stampede Blue) have mentioned how Matt Pryor was completely overmatched... That is one of the spots, I would think, could still be changed

Without getting into it to deep, you could clearly see Matt was favoring that arm/shoulder so for me I don't think it's the beginning of the end for him or anything, he's just hurt.

Hopefully Sam is the future, makes things easier for us.

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

I think that's a shot at a lot of people...Ballard, himself, the majority of the offensive coaching staff, many of the offensive players etc

That's just despicable. 

You do what you can to win . Brady deflated footballs and bill sent people to steal play sheets from opponents locker rooms .  They have two dynasties because of it .  Do you want to win or be nice ?

18 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If you play fantasy I would buy stock in Campbell and Hines. Going to be interesting if Sam still throws those go balls to pierce. 

I would buy stock in Strachan. Remember, every time a 2nd stringer comes in, he is most comfortable with the WRs he practiced with as 2nd string WRs. Cooper Rush did it with Noah Brown, Sam E will bring it out of Mike Strachan since he knows how Strachan moves and can anticipate better there.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

You do what you can to win . Brady deflated footballs and bill sent people to steal play sheets from opponents locker rooms .  They have two dynasties because of it .  Do you want to win or be nice ?

Wow.  You're disgusting

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yep. This is what I have been saying.

I agree this looks like the owner was involved and that there may have been job assurances.  But I would have preferred Frank made this call on his own because it is the right call.

Also and btw demoting Ryan to QB3 does feel like tanking.  Because for all his warts he is better than Foles and would undoubtedly give us the best chance to win if Ehlinger struggles.  In fact I'll bet after that benching that Ryan is a lot better if they do need to turn to him again.  Benching works when it's a player with a lot of pride in the product he puts on the field, and Ryan is that type of player.

For the record I think Ehlinger is going to play well.  He may even play well enough to convince the Colts he can be the guy.  But if it's me I take a QB regardless in this draft.

24 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

If Sam balls out: It's a Win. We get our franchise QB and Frank stays.

If Sam is decent but shows why he was a 6th round pick a few times. It's a Win. We have a promising QB who just finished half of a rookie season. We fire Frank and build a system around Sam next year. 

If Sam is bad. Win(kind of). We finally figure out that we don't have any QB who can save this offense and we probably trade up in the draft to get a rookie. Frank is fired and a new era of Coach+QB starts.

I think you speak for the majority of people on the forum. Well said. Matt Ryan looks like a tackling prop out there. I thought i would be nice and not say tackling dummy.

Despite what you all my feel about Ryan, more people should be condemning Ballard for how he got the QB killed. A shoulder separation is the same thing Luck had IIRC. This is no reason for celebration even though they’re saying this would have happened regardless of the injury. Ballard has failed miserably to build this offensive line.

1 minute ago, Boondoggle said:

I agree this looks like the owner was involved and that there may have been job assurances.  But I would have preferred Frank made this call on his own because it is the right call.

Also and btw demoting Ryan to QB3 does feel like tanking.  Because for all his warts he is better than Foles and would undoubtedly give us the best chance to win if Ehlinger struggles.  In fact I'll bet after that benching that Ryan is a lot better if they do need to turn to him again.  Benching works when it's a player with a lot of pride in the product he puts on the field, and Ryan is that type of player.

For the record I think Ehlinger is going to play well.  He may even play well enough to convince the Colts he can be the guy.  But if it's me I take a QB regardless in this draft.

I am just unsure about Reich. I guess it depends how the team responds to this. Irsay might feel Reich deserves a chance with a new QB. Guess we will see. If Irsay feels this was mostly Ryan he has to realize that it’s not Reich’s fault. Therefore letting him stay.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Despite what you all my feel about Ryan, more people should be condemning Ballard for how he got the QB killed. A shoulder separation is the same thing Luck had IIRC. This is no reason for celebration even though they’re saying this would have happened regardless of the injury. Ballard has failed miserably to build this offensive line.

I echo this Ballards highest paid Oline in the league got Ryan murdured. Sam is probably going to die also.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

no one is defending Ballard right now. The whole front office has been trash. 

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I want to see how Sam handles setting pass  protections. Going to be watching to see if the free blitzers lesson. Does the oline improve? Then we will have a solid answer how  much it was Ryan hurting this team. Line might stay the same but we won’t know until we see Sam play.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I am just unsure about Reich. I guess it depends how the team responds to this. Irsay might feel Reich deserves a chance with a new QB. Guess we will see. If Irsay feels this was mostly Ryan he has to realize that it’s not Reich’s fault. Therefore letting him stay.

I dont know how you keep Reich

We always start the season not ready......  Thats Coaching

We have countless games where we spot the other team 2 TDs, before we start to play (We seemed to be surprised every week)

.....  Thats Coaching 

We are generally unprepared

I love what the man stands for as an imperfect believer, myself, but Reich may be better suited as an OC

52 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I feel for Matt in a way. The line absolutely destroyed him. I'm still not sure Sam is going to be a miracle cure for this team. Get ready, because it might get real ugly now. 

He was terrible last year too.  Just not quite this terrible.  He's slow and washed up.

2 minutes ago, Indy87 said:

no one is defending Ballard right now. The whole front office has been trash. 

There are people celebrating that Ehlinger is starting and putting a lot of the blame on Ryan. But Ballard should be getting more flak for getting Matt’s shoulder separated. You’ve got no LT and Pryor is letting guys go straight to the QB without even making contact sometimes. That’s awful that they have to go with an unproven QB instead of Foles, because they need a mobile QB to counter the awful line play. I hope they show Ballard the door after the season is over. Part of me feels bad for Reich.

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Gotta say I think Reich is an excellent OC but only average as an NFL head coach.  What limits him as HC is his kindness I think.  Simply put Frank is too nice.

So as to the decision of whether to retain him it becomes about who you want to replace him with.  Because it would be very easy to go backwards when you fire a coach like Frank.  This is why I'd be all in on Sean Payton, even if it meant cleaning house midseason to ensure I can openly chase him without looking like a jerk of an owner.

But yeah if you're going to hire some hot coordinator there's a ton of risk.  And even best case he's going to need to learn on the job and a lot of learning is done from making mistakes.  So just go get Sean Payton.  I am praying we end up with him because if we do this team will finally start bringing us the results we have been pining for.

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I dont know how you keep Reich

We always start the season not ready......  Thats Coaching

We have countless games where we spot the other team 2 TDs, before we start to play (We seemed to be surprised every week)

.....  Thats Coaching 

We are generally unprepared

I love what the man stands for as an imperfect believer, myself, but Reich may be better suited as an OC

Ryan is bad. That’s where I am coming at. As bad of moments Wentz had he was never this bad. Irsay forced them to upgrade at QB when there was none. That’s where I am coming from.  He forced them into a bad situation. 

After reading some things I kinda think seeings how the Colts have all but 1 divisional game out of the way the rest of the season don't matter as much

.  They said change was coming regardless? Maybe they was going to give Sam a shot until maybe the BYE week.  

I'll be curious to hear more as it comes out. Should be fun Sunday. 

Even though the best fuel for a fan is to say OH I TOLD YOU SO BLAH BLAH BLAH.  All i care about is being able to watch the Colt's play each week don't care who is on the field. 

For what its worth my tv is turned on once a week thats come COLTS game time. 

Archived