Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

Ok, I was going to take a week off from here but because of this breaking news I am here as usual. I have been a huge supporter of Matt Ryan and still think he was a better choice over Wentz but this is the right move IMO. Lets see what Sam has. Maybe this will bring excitement back in here and to the team. At least Matt got us to 3-3-1 so we are still in the playoff mix, maybe Sam can reel off 2 or 3 wins in a row? I am all for what is better for the team. There are so many average teams this year that anything can happen.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colts Insider Mike Chappell reports that the Colts plan to bench QB Matt Ryan and start QB Sam Ehlinger against the Washington Commanders in Week 8.

Nick Foles will reportedly backup Ehlinger, removing the prospect of Ryan playing against the Commanders. Ryan played poorly against the Titans, throwing two interceptions and ranking 22nd in EPA per play on the week. Only Brett Rypien, Kenny Picket, Zach Wilson, and Jared Goff were less efficient. Still, Ryan has not had much help. His offensive line ranks 27th in Pro Football Focus' pass blocking grades and the Colts' running game ranks 31st in EPA per play. Ehlinger saw the Colts' sixth-round pick in 2021 and drew some buzz as a rookie. He has yet to attempt a pass in the NFL but would presumably operate the same quick passing game that the Colts have rolled out with Ryan over the last two weeks. This move could ultimately lead to an even less reliable Colts' offense than what we've seen so far in a disappointing 2022. The Colts reportedly plan to stick with Ehlinger for the rest of the season, although that will presumably depend on how the second-year quarterback ultimately performs.

Related:

Sam Ehlinger

Source: Mike Chappell on Twitter

Oct 24, 2022, 1:55 PM ET

Nearly DEAD LAST in oline and running. I feel bad for Ryan, but this is not all his fault.

1 minute ago, IrsaysArmy said:

This has been in the works since atleast couple weeks ago when Sam was promoted to #2. 

It’d be awesome if Sam plays well. I doubt his 24 year old arm is just as bad as 37 year old matty Ryan’s. We’ll find out 

Is that what you meant?

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

Colts Insider Mike Chappell reports that the Colts plan to bench QB Matt Ryan and start QB Sam Ehlinger against the Washington Commanders in Week 8.

Nick Foles will reportedly backup Ehlinger, removing the prospect of Ryan playing against the Commanders. Ryan played poorly against the Titans, throwing two interceptions and ranking 22nd in EPA per play on the week. Only Brett Rypien, Kenny Picket, Zach Wilson, and Jared Goff were less efficient. Still, Ryan has not had much help. His offensive line ranks 27th in Pro Football Focus' pass blocking grades and the Colts' running game ranks 31st in EPA per play. Ehlinger saw the Colts' sixth-round pick in 2021 and drew some buzz as a rookie. He has yet to attempt a pass in the NFL but would presumably operate the same quick passing game that the Colts have rolled out with Ryan over the last two weeks. This move could ultimately lead to an even less reliable Colts' offense than what we've seen so far in a disappointing 2022. The Colts reportedly plan to stick with Ehlinger for the rest of the season, although that will presumably depend on how the second-year quarterback ultimately performs.

Related:

Sam Ehlinger

Source: Mike Chappell on Twitter

Oct 24, 2022, 1:55 PM ET

Nearly DEAD LAST in oline and running. I feel bad for Ryan, but this is not all his fault.

Poor Sam haha. At least he can run, he is going to need to

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ok, I was going to take a week off from here but because of this breaking news I am here as usual. I have been a huge supporter of Matt Ryan and still think he was a better choice over Wentz but this is the right move IMO. Lets see what Sam has. Maybe this will bring excitement back in here and to the team. At least Matt got us to 3-3-1 so we are still in the playoff mix, maybe Sam can reel off 2 or 3 wins in a row? I am all for what is better for the team. There are so many average teams this year that anything can happen.

Just admit you were wrong and move on.  Your stuff is stale.  

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Same as last year, it wasn't all Wentz's fault either but the glory and the blame goes unfairly to the QB, that is just how it goes. Will Sam E be the SAME or different?

Did anyone see the clip of Irsay after the game yesterday? Looking pretty upset. I had a sense he was going to say something to Ballard and Reich after this loss. Matt Ryan doesn’t look great. I think going this route was going to happen at some point. If we still suck, we’re swinging for a QB draft pick next year. 

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

This has me more excited than since Luck was QB. I just hope this doesn’t save jobs if the Colts miss the playoffs again.

If we suddenly become better or even get a higher draft pick because it’s better I am probably ok with them letting their jobs as long as they draft a QB if he is bad.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

bahahahaha you just said Saturday night Matt Ryan was like an Ace high flush, 4 of a kind or something. Changed your tune pretty quick

19 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Imagine same Doesn play well... we sat through Wentz and Ryan when this dude was sitting on the bench eatin Bon bon's haha

Wentz didn’t get benched last year.  He played behind an underperforming offensive line last year. Maybe he was better than many think. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Matty Ice is a class act. I feel horrible for him. The turn overs were just bad bad. 

LoL as a falcons fan I just watched our entire fanbase clamor over us moving to a “mobile” qb that will make the oline look better.. 

Mariota can’t even be trusted to throw more than 15 times a game now even when down by 21 :funny: 

grass isn’t always greener.

the oline has gotten Matt Ryan killed and I hate that he left a terrible oline for an even worse oline.

will continue watching the rest of the season as long as Matt’s around. 

good luck Colt nation

His turnovers were just unacceptable.  We are having too much trouble scoring to be giving the ball away like that.

I think his arm isnt good enough anymore either to be blunt.  I dont know if Sam is a great answer but I think Matts arm and mobility are a huge liability now

We cant just dink and dunk 50 times a game like we did against a weak Jaguars team every week

Archived