Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Week 6 Jaguars @ Colts, October 16, 2022, 1:00 PM ET

NFLfan

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Draft TY Hilton’s son so he can carry his father legacy of owning the Texans. 😂 
    • Sports journalism has been crap for a long time.   It's more important to be first than accurate.   I've seen articles using Twitter accounts as sources.    What happened to the old days.    Source the intel,  interview those involved .  Vet the Intel, write the story.    With the internet,  anyone with a website is a "journalist"  it's nonsense. Joseph Pulitzer is rolling in his grave 
    • I'm not a journalist either. I agree that it's best practice to offer the subject a chance to respond. My real point is that I don't think a lack of response from the subject automatically invalidates the information.   In this specific situation, I think the information was sensationalized. The initial report shared some nuanced opinions from unnamed sources, which I think is pretty common. The way the story took off from there is probably due to aggregation, for which I don't hold the initial reporter responsible.    And what it seems like here is we're pushing back against a "negative" report regarding a player the Colts drafted, rather than taking the information on its merits. 
    • There was nothing stopping Mitchell (or his agent) from contacting McGinn to say can I give you an interview so you can put out my side of the story.     Look….  Sports stories move quickly, if you had to get a response from every source in every story, stories would never get done.  Especially in a world where so much info is now getting tweeted out.  And if Mitchell or his agent didn’t trust McGinn, odds are it wouldn’t be hard to find a reporter who would be happy to interview Mitchell.  The kid has a compelling story.    So in many cases if a reporter can’t get to a player after a game, or needs more info, you can grab him before the next game and do a follow up where the player is now the full story.  I’m talking here about baseball,  basketball and hockey where there are multiple games in a week.  A little different in football, but you’d go to the team facility and get a follow up 1-on-1 for a good next day story.    Once the McGinn story was out there was time for Mitchell to do as much damage control as he thought necessary.     I don’t want to go on and on.  Hope I came close to answering.  If not, or you have more questions, hit me up, because I’m always here.   
    • I don't necessarily agree that if teams chose other WRs it means they didn't view him as a first round player. It just means they liked a different player more.    As for the rest, I think it's obvious that teams had concerns about AD Mitchell. I also think it's obvious the Colts weren't dying to draft him, otherwise they wouldn't have traded back. So the whole 'he was a surefire first rounder until unnamed sources went after him' thing doesn't quite connect for me.
  • Members