Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich says Colts are “Not that far” from where they need to be…

Jeff Monday

One thing about Franks teams so far is they usually do rebound. I have a little bit more doubt this time bc im concerned if Ryan truly has started to fall off the cliff. If we do rebound we absolutely have to protect this guy better though. Adjustments in the way we are scheming things up need to be made for sure. Not going to happen if the blocking doesnt improve. Pressure bothers this guy in a fairly significant way.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no doubt that Ballard has lost the organization and Frank has to resort to coach speak.  You can see it in Frank's demeanor and the way the team is playing since late last year. 

The players know how other teams have been winning games...and know that they have no real shot at winning when looking at the quality of their teammates.  Frank's motivational skills can't over come common sense and obvious observations made by college educated adults.

Cincy...Burrow and Chase, Higgins.  Buffalo Allen and Diggs.  Diggs.  Mohomes Kelce.   Even now MIA is better than us offensively with Tua,  Waddle, Tyreek Hill, Gisiecki.  Heck, people are even thinking that Siranni is a good play caller after getting AJ Brown added to Davonta Smith and Dallas Goedert. 

Poor Frank, Siranni goes from bum running-play play caller last year to great play caller this year simply because Siranni works for a smarter GM.   Siranni has gotten two Dog WRs and a real F TE in only two years and here Frank has been standing at the alter for 6 years and has only gotten one of those.   Poor Frank.  No man could turn those lemons into lemonade, but will probably get fired for it.

And Wentz:  Dotson, Samuel, McLaurin.   Some probably think its scheme or play calling. Wentz had no oline or receivers in Philly...is a bum...then no oline or receivers in Indy...is an unvaxed bum....now he's a good QB when he has a decent oline (better LT) and receivers, lol.

Also, Irsay sort of meddling into and dividing the team last year over the Wentz and the vax issue didn't help Frank's goal of keeping the team together.  

If we fired Ballard tomorrow, would an interim GM set the team back for the rest of season?

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is no doubt that Ballard has lost the organization and Frank has to resort to coach speak.  You can see it in Frank's demeanor and the way the team is playing since late last year. 

The players know how other teams have been winning games...and know that they have no real shot at winning when looking at the quality of their teammates.  Frank's motivational skills can't over come common sense and obvious observations made by college educated adults.

Cincy...Burrow and Chase, Higgins.  Buffalo Allen and Diggs.  Diggs.  Mohomes Kelce.   Even now MIA is better than us offensively with Tua,  Waddle, Tyreek Hill, Gisiecki.  Heck, people are even thinking that Siranni is a good play caller after getting AJ Brown added to Davonta Smith and Dallas Goedert. 

Poor Frank, Siranni goes from bum running-play play caller last year to great play caller this year simply because Siranni works for a smarter GM.   Siranni has gotten two Dog WRs and a real F TE in only two years and here Frank has been standing at the alter for 6 years and has only gotten one of those.   Poor Frank.  No man could turn those lemons into lemonade, but will probably get fired for it.

And Wentz:  Dotson, Samuel, McLaurin.   Some probably think its scheme or play calling. Wentz had no oline or receivers in Philly...is a bum...then no oline or receivers in Indy...is an unvaxed bum....now he's a good QB when he has a decent oline (better LT) and receivers, lol.

Also, Irsay sort of meddling into and dividing the team last year over the Wentz and the vax issue didn't help Frank's goal of keeping the team together.  

If we fired Ballard tomorrow, would an interim GM set the team back for the rest of season?

I'll play devil's advocate here, would firing Ballard instantly make the team better for the rest of the season? 

This team is an absolute mess... But watch we'll win against Kansas because nothing makes sense anymore.

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'll play devil's advocate here, would firing Ballard instantly make the team better for the rest of the season? 

This team is an absolute mess... But watch we'll win against Kansas because nothing makes sense anymore.

It was more of a rhetorical question.  I don't think there are many reasons for firing people mid season.

I think the team is demoralized at the moment.  I truly believe they know they are not as talented in the areas needed to win in the AFC this year.  Frank will get blamed for the locker room atmosphere, but these are grown adults who know what they are seeing around them and around the NFL.  

Seriously.  Tua has Waddle, Hill, and Gisecki and Hurts has DaVonta Smith, AJ Brown and Goerdert.  Transformation in 2 offseasons.  

But, if the oline comes together, JT gets going, and Pittman plays well and maybe we can do more.

BTW, our oline is the highest paid in the NFL, yet 40% of it is manned by two 5th rounders who are playing like it and making very little money relative to their peers.  That looks like roster malpractice at the moment.

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It was more of a rhetorical question.  I don't think there are many reasons for firing people mid season.

I think the team is demoralized at the moment.  I truly believe they know they are not as talented in the areas needed to win in the AFC this year.  Frank will get blamed for the locker room atmosphere, but these are grown adults who know what they are seeing around them and around the NFL.  

Seriously.  Tua has Waddle, Hill, and Gisecki and Hurts has DaVonta Smith, AJ Brown and Goerdert.  Transformation in 2 offseasons.  

But, if the oline comes together, JT gets going, and Pittman plays well and maybe we can do more.

BTW, our oline is the highest paid in the NFL, yet 40% of it is manned by two 5th rounders who are playing like it and making very little money relative to their peers.  That looks like roster malpractice at the moment.

Too many problems to overcome this year. 

I think the team has lose faith in the coaching hierarchy. this team has too many good players to look this bad. I watched the Falcons last year. A team with no stars, mostly minimum paid vets, no OL, Bad defense, bottom of the league, and still looked better than sunday's game.

14 hours ago, DougDew said:

We've beaten good teams in the past.  That tells you he's a good coach that has held it together.  But with a tidal wave of young-busted/inexperienced players replacing those mid level vets he coached for a few years, he's just giving out.  

Burrow is the 2nd coming. He may have best wr Corp in nfl.  He is getting killed and wrs doing nothing . Biggest shock is the absolute garbage play of the Oline. Hard to assess anything on offence when that over paid and over rated group pays like that. Highest paid in the nfl.  It is great that I have been proven wrong in Nelson's actual worth  to this line and the offence overall lol. Oh and do u think if Shaq were playing things would be different on defence? I don't. That's 40 million wasted.

This is the problem with Reich, he plays the nice guy waaaay to much. Anyone who has played a competitive sport knows that sometimes, you and your teammates need a kick in the *, get ripped into and say this isn't good enough. Theres players in our locker room that are probably shocked they didn't get a strip torn off them.

I don't mean you need to do it after every loss, but what happened in Jacksonville, was much more than just a loss. Absolutely unacceptable.

The majority of folks here know our problems start with ownership, trickle down to the GM, spill over to the HC and culminate on the playing surface by uninspired players.  

I mention ownership, specifically Jim Irsay first because he hired Ballard.  Ballard is his guy.  Until he isn’t.  Until that is, Irsay decides it’s not good enough and addresses the issue by reliving Ballard of his duties.  Next, Ballard.  Ballard is the architect of a rebuild that is now in year 6, resulting in an 0-2 start.  He refuses to address what even mere “fans” know are the problems:  OT, WR, OL/DL.  He’s paid to fix those issues, we’re simply mortals who know they need fixed.  Next, Hc Frank Reich.  He has lost this team.  He can say they are “close” but, like Ballard, he’s been here (year 5) for the “rebuild” that continues to being rebuilt.  He has been handed some really good talent (how many Pro Bowlers?) and he has failed to produce.  

Ballard and Reich have failed but, it doesn’t matter unless it matters to Irsay.  The Pro Bowlers have no motivation and/or inspiration therefore; they settle.  For failure. 

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Too many problems to overcome this year. 

Philly and MIA did it in about 2 years.  Nobody was giving Tua or Hurts any credit the past seasons.  Now, get 2 Dog WRs and have a real F TE, and they look as good as many of the better QBs on the top teams.  Remove AJ Brown from TEN and Tannehill looks even worse. 

Pedersen wins a SB...then gets canned by that same team because he apparently can't coach any more.  But now looks like a decent coach again with a decent (but growing) QB and different receivers.

If you track Pedersens' "coaching ability" it seems to mirror the quality of players he has had to coach, regardless of what team he's coaching.   Go figure.

This kind of thing should not take 6 years.  Poor Frank, standing at the alter waiting for those good things to show up.

Reich and Grover interview says it all.  Reich saying we are not far and Grover saying it is only the 2nd game.

Summary:  No need to panic and they don't feel the sense of urgency.  They feel they can win the division and that is all that matters. Titans their biggest challenge is not who they were before. Texans and Jags are not going to be in contention at the end of the season. Watch them play up during Prime TV time to strut themselves. Marketing. Just win the division and get into the playoff. Sadly, this attitude will bite them in their rear. 

Ballard hopefully has now reached his GREAT AWAKENING. There is NO depth in WR. Campbell, Dulin, Strachan and Patmon are at best great practice squad material. You will help Matt Ryan realize he made a big mistake picking the Colts. Suck up your ego and sign veteran WRs and TE. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Philly and MIA did it in about 2 years.  Nobody was giving Tua or Hurts any credit the past seasons.  Now, get 2 Dog WRs and have a real F TE, and they look as good as many of the better QBs on the top teams.  Remove AJ Brown from TEN and Tannehill looks even worse. 

Pedersen wins a SB...then gets canned by that same team because he apparently can't coach any more.  But now looks like a decent coach again with a decent (but growing) QB and different receivers.

If you track Pedersens' "coaching ability" it seems to mirror the quality of players he has had to coach, regardless of what team he's coaching.   Go figure.

This kind of thing should not take 6 years.  Poor Frank, standing at the alter waiting for those good things to show up.

Good post Doug. 

Simply amazing in the transformation of those two QBs. What’s the difference? The arsenal available and coaching/calling plays to their strengths. I’m jealous. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Interesting Dougie.  So what I think I here you saying in the bolded section is a coach’s output is directly tied to the quality of players on the field.

Like it’s not the X’s and the O’s but the Jimmies and that Joes.

I’m going to meditate on that for a while.

Season 8 Nbc GIF by The Office

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I would 100% agree with you but even when he's had the talent the same problems existed.  Even when he had a generational talent like Luck the team got off to a 1-5 start.  If things started off great with Luck and then went downhill then I'd say yeah it's the quality of players but slow starts to games AND seasons and vanilla playcalling have always been Reich problems. 

3 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I would 100% agree with you but even when he's had the talent the same problems existed.  Even when he had a generational talent like Luck the team got off to a 1-5 start.  If things started off great with Luck and then went downhill then I'd say yeah it's the quality of players but slow starts to games AND seasons and vanilla playcalling have always been Reich problems. 

To be fair, Luck was coming off of a shoulder injury in which he missed 1 and a half seasons. The slow start had more to do with Luck getting back into the swing of things, than coaching, IMO. If you recall, this was during the time that Jacoby had to come in for Luck to throw a hail Mary because Luck couldn't/shouldn't do it.

47 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Maybe.  I thought the 1-5 start was Luck getting back into the swing of things.  Being cautious.  He started to open it up more as the season went on.  Found confidence in Ebron and Inman.  I think that was a Luck slow start and everybody figuring each other out.  

Then JB

Then Rivers

Then Wentz

IDK slow starts to the season kinda makes sense to me.

What I see with other teams "play calling" is some sort of a drag route or rub route where a very athletic player is wide open in space, then he runs around and makes people miss, then another player gets an open field block, and then we all call it a great and innovative play call.   I don't think there are any new  combinations of Xs and Os, all of them have been in football for decades .

A few years ago, several of us noted that the team's performance back then hinged upon the very good stop gap vets that Ballard brought in.  Sheard, Hunt, then Autry, Houston, Rhodes, Glow, and the steady play of AC and TY and Doyle...who were getting older.  Good players that were even asked to play different schemes than they were used to, but still played them well.  Those players made the plays back then, and they made us a competitive team....and the future hinged upon Ballard's ability to draft their replacements. 

Well, the future is here and how are those replacement's performing...keeping in mind the coaching and the schemes haven't changed in 6 years.

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We...

• Played close with TB and LAR...
  • Whipped Buffalo and AZ

That tells you have talent....

And when you have turds vs worst 5 teams in the NFL.... tells you have coaching issues. 

Obvious to me.

But….shouldn’t the coaches get credit for beating/being competitive with top tier teams? 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Maybe.  I thought the 1-5 start was Luck getting back into the swing of things.  Being cautious.  He started to open it up more as the season went on.  Found confidence in Ebron and Inman.  I think that was a Luck slow start and everybody figuring each other out.  

Then JB

Then Rivers

Then Wentz

IDK slow starts to the season kinda makes sense to me.

What I see with other teams "play calling" is some sort of a drag route or rub route where a very athletic player is wide open in space, then he runs around and makes people miss, then another player gets an open field block, and then we all call it a great and innovative play call.   I don't think there are any new  combinations of Xs and Os, all of them have been in football for decades .

A few years ago, several of us noted that the team's performance back then hinged upon the very good stop gap vets that Ballard brought in.  Sheard, Hunt, then Autry, Houston, Rhodes, Glow, and the steady play of AC and TY and Doyle...who were getting older.  Good players that were even asked to play different schemes than they were used to, but still played them well.  Those players made the plays back then, and they made us a competitive team....and the future hinged upon Ballard's ability to draft their replacements. 

Well, the future is here and how are those replacement's performing...keeping in mind the coaching and the schemes haven't changed in 6 years.

I say focus on Moore. Cover someone or bench him.  :bossy:

22 hours ago, Colt1911 said:

For the record I don’t agree with Frank that we’re not far off….  

That said,  he’s trying to rally his team to crawl out of a gutter.   What else should he say?

Let’s not forget, this is the same Frank from 2018 who rallied his team from 1-4 to 10-6 and a playoff win.   And there were/are posters here who weren’t impressed. 

This is the same Frank who started last year 1-4 and we came back to 9-6.   No one saw that coming either.   Had we won one more game and made the playoffs Frank Reich would be the only coach in NFL history to achieve that TWICE.   So he’s got legit reason for thinking he can bring this team back.  

Do I think it will happen?   No.   The 2018 and 2021 teams never looked like what we saw Sunday.   But mocking Frank for trying to be optimistic ignores recent successful history. 

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I say focus on Moore. Cover someone or bench him.  :bossy:

Yeah, Moore has been here under the same coaching and scheme.  Actually improved when he got here, no?  Sometimes players actually regress...or come back down to their natural spot on Earth.

22 hours ago, BrickHead said:

Has anyone noticed how unused the tight ends have been early in the game plans? First tight end pass went for good yards (Jags game) ... On third and VERY long. What a great play call, after the damage was done.  Why is Frank only trying to use his strength players at the get go? Can't he find a tight end (or non expected play) on the first, or second play of the game?

That type of genius must be out of his reach. I promise I could come up with one play that didn't rely on the player that every opposing player didn't expect. That's right, the Ol' Statue of liberty play with big Q streaking flat out up the right sideline. No one will see that coming.

Philly Special the whole game, Frank ... Could the score be worse?

TBH the TEs aren’t good. I want to see what Woods can do, but MAC and Granson aren’t needle movers. I don’t think Granson would’ve even made the 53 if that kid from Youngstown wouldn’t have gotten hurt, because he was having a great camp.

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Sooner the better. 

Let Fox work as interim. 

Push guys. If they (individuals) don't respond, bye. 

Truly believe we can jump in things with a new HC / interim. 

Fox is a relic. He was terrible in Chicago. The game has long since passed him by.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For the record I don’t agree with Frank that we’re not far off….  

That said,  he’s trying to rally his team to crawl out of a gutter.   What else should he say?

Let’s not forget, this is the same Frank from 2018 who rallied his team from 1-4 to 10-6 and a playoff win.   And there were/are posters here who weren’t impressed. 

This is the same Frank who started last year 1-4 and we came back to 9-6.   No one saw that coming either.   Had we won one more game and made the playoffs Frank Reich would be the only coach in NFL history to achieve that TWICE.   So he’s got legit reason for thinking he can bring this team back.  

Do I think it will happen?   No.   The 2018 and 2021 teams never looked like what we saw Sunday.   But mocking Frank for trying to be optimistic ignores recent successful history. 

It’s all he has. He can’t honestly say much of anything else. He’s not now nor will he ever be the type to throw anyone under the bus. 

Though I fear players could be complacent that they’re able to right the ship simply because it’s happened in the past… 

11 minutes ago, indykmj said:

Fox is a relic. He was terrible in Chicago. The game has long since passed him by.

Yeah I don’t see this team getting better under Fox or Bradley.  I am also not interested in seeing if Brady can call plays or not by starting in season when he’s never done it at the NFL level.  

I am not happy with Frank but the Colts best chance to save this season is with him as the head coach.  If he fails to do so (which for the record I expect him to fail) you blow the whole thing up at the end of the year and start over.

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Interim.... only...

Let Brady OC... 

Can't be worse than Reich.

Like I said before I would take anyone that as common sense about football over Frank and Ballard right now.

Don't think Brady would be any better than any of us. As he ever called NFL plays before?

So why hire a OC that couldn't be any worse than Reich??

Reich isn't going to give up play calls even if we have same season  as last year or one game into playoffs...

2 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

Like I said before I would take anyone that as common sense about football over Frank and Ballard right now.

Don't think Brady would be any better than any of us. As he ever called NFL plays before?

So why hire a OC that couldn't be any worse than Reich??

Reich isn't going to give up play calls even if we have same season  as last year or one game into playoffs...

We have zero clue about Brady.

We had zero clue on Nick.

Nick looked great (and very different) with Philly last night. Very aggressive. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We have zero clue about Brady.

We had zero clue on Nick.

Nick looked great (and very different) with Philly last night. Very aggressive. 

We did and it wasn't good. Nick looks good cause he got Pascal and Hurts. You think teams are going to keep letting hurts run free like that.. H**l no they shut every running qb down just a matter of time. I dont want hurts getting hurt but that is what actually happens in run first QB.

Just now, Maniac53 said:

We did and it wasn't good. Nick looks good cause he got Pascal and Hurts. You think teams are going to keep letting hurts run free like that.. H**l no they shut every running qb down just a matter of time. I dont want hurts getting hurt but that is what actually happens in run first QB.

Nick also as better WRs and TE

11 minutes ago, Maniac53 said:

Sorry, but nah...

Pascal is mainly a blocker, and rare depth target. 

Nick tossed 9s and was aggressive yesterday. Used speed (Quez 6th round WR) deep. Never did that here in Indy. Not part of the Reich's scheme lol.. And I love Hurts, but not a great passer. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

Sorry, but nah...

Pascal is mainly a blocker, and rare depth target. 

Nick tossed 9s and was aggressive yesterday. Used speed (Quez 6th round WR) deep. Never did that here in Indy. Not part of the Reich's scheme lol.. And I love Hurts, but not a great passer. 

Who the heck do you think blocks after pass is thrown? go watch footage again. Colts choked letting Pascal go JMO

8 hours ago, Flash7 said:

To be fair, Luck was coming off of a shoulder injury in which he missed 1 and a half seasons. The slow start had more to do with Luck getting back into the swing of things, than coaching, IMO. If you recall, this was during the time that Jacoby had to come in for Luck to throw a hail Mary because Luck couldn't/shouldn't do it.

oh sheesh, you’re right.  That was a WHILE ago

Archived