Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich says Colts are “Not that far” from where they need to be…

Jeff Monday

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He might not be wrong. We’re close enough to being competitive, he just didn’t mention what bar / standards he was speaking to at this point in the season. :dunno:

Maybe getting beat up in the media and by fans is what they need to light some fire underneath them??? I’m holding on to that glimmer of hope. Until we don’t win our sorry division, I’ll keep hoping :default_20smile:

He's protecting his boss.  He protects his players. and now he feels like he has to protect his GM.  He's the one behind the mic, and is the spokesman at that point.

He knows that they are "only" a QB, LT, Flanker, a TE, and a couple of DEs and some secondary players away, but can't really say that.  He's been on an NFL field his entire life.  He knows what he's seeing.

OTOH, the guy up in the FO didn't do anything until hired as GM.

Well I just watched the first half of yesterdays game and just like way too many Colt games of the past 25 years it was ridiculous how many 3rd and longs we gave up. So many times Jags ran on 1st down and got stuffed. Then the Colts proceeded to play sssooooffffftttttt on 2nd and especially 3rd down it was a joke. The first td to Kirk was typical play 8 yards off the man and let him slant inside wide open. Pryor was awful and I did notice Raimann played the last series of the first half. The play where we gave up a 23 yard gain on 1st and 20 after the holding call was pathetic(why was Mccleod in and not Cross?) And yes, Gilmore is making 14 million this year to not play tight aggressive defense he susposedly is known for.. There was a screen play on the drive the jags kicked their field goal where Moore made no effort to attack upfield inside the blocker he just ran himself towards the sideline out of the way. Jags were running quick pass plays to neutralize the Colt pass rush and the Colt db's were still playing loose soft coverage, WHY? They need to come up and get in someones face. Patmon's drop when he was wide open on 3rd and 6 was a killer. Dulin made some nice catches(and was open). All in all I don't get all the gloom and doom on here after watching the 1st half. Like I said typical Colt defense of the past 25 years, except the run defense is outstanding. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We...

• Played close with TB and LAR...
  • Whipped Buffalo and AZ

That tells you have talent....

And when you have turds vs worst 5 teams in the NFL.... tells you have coaching issues. 

Obvious to me.

But it didn’t become obvious till the end of the year, something has happened Seems to be some disconnect between the players and coaching staff.

Has anyone noticed how unused the tight ends have been early in the game plans? First tight end pass went for good yards (Jags game) ... On third and VERY long. What a great play call, after the damage was done.  Why is Frank only trying to use his strength players at the get go? Can't he find a tight end (or non expected play) on the first, or second play of the game?

That type of genius must be out of his reach. I promise I could come up with one play that didn't rely on the player that every opposing player didn't expect. That's right, the Ol' Statue of liberty play with big Q streaking flat out up the right sideline. No one will see that coming.

Philly Special the whole game, Frank ... Could the score be worse?

17 minutes ago, Indeee said:

That's because Lucas Oil stadium is only 3.4 miles from the Indianapolis waste treatment center, so technically Reich is spot on... 

:peek:

You have said it perfectly. I would have never believed we would see 60 minutes of football that was actually WORSE than the egg we laid in game 17 last year.

5 minutes ago, Moe said:

But it didn’t become obvious till the end of the year, something has happened Seems to be some disconnect between the players and coaching staff.

Coaching staff and FO or ownership....

IMO, Irsay throwing Wentz under the bus during the season..... didn't play well to the team in general. No reason to do that. Keep that internal, and don't create public drama..... And we had several stars without covid shots. Guess support was mixed, and some were not happy about chatter. And IMO, the bipolar game plans / play calling likely irritated some. Nelson telling Reich RTDB lol... Ouch.. 

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We've beaten good teams in the past.  That tells you he's a good coach that has held it together.  But with a tidal wave of young-busted/inexperienced players replacing those mid level vets he coached for a few years, he's just giving out.  

46 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We...

• Whipped Buffalo and AZ

And when you have turds vs worst 5 teams in the NFL.... tells you have coaching issues. 

Obvious to me.

Perspective sure is a funny mistress.  Two people seeing the same thing in such wildly different ways.  

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He's protecting his boss.  He protects his players. and now he feels like he has to protect his GM.  He's the one behind the mic, and is the spokesman at that point.

you definitely have a unique (and inaccurate) view on things

1 minute ago, J@son said:

Perspective sure is a funny mistress.  Two people seeing the same thing in such wildly different ways.  

yeah, Frank has to protect Ballard because Ballard never does interviews or pressers. :facepalm:

No Jason, its not because Ballard can't speak for himself.  At the moment, the media and fan base is fuming and looking for any red meat.  Frank is the first one to talk, maybe Ballard has a presser later.  Frank's job there is to protect the players, the boss, the owner, the "shoe" from the red meat that's about to ensue.   Nobody knows what he's actually thinking.

Maybe that wasn't the right thing to say, but who exactly do you throw under the bus at that point when nothing on the field was working?   Its not like he can say, well, if I just called something else instead of the shovel pass there, we might have won.

1 hour ago, Moe said:

Teams adjusted after about  a month or so to a run oriented team with few weapons.  pretty simple.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Well I just watched the first half of yesterdays game and just like way too many Colt games of the past 25 years it was ridiculous how many 3rd and longs we gave up. So many times Jags ran on 1st down and got stuffed. Then the Colts proceeded to play sssooooffffftttttt on 2nd and especially 3rd down it was a joke. The first td to Kirk was typical play 8 yards off the man and let him slant inside wide open. Pryor was awful and I did notice Raimann played the last series of the first half. The play where we gave up a 23 yard gain on 1st and 20 after the holding call was pathetic(why was Mccleod in and not Cross?) And yes, Gilmore is making 14 million this year to not play tight aggressive defense he susposedly is known for.. There was a screen play on the drive the jags kicked their field goal where Moore made no effort to attack upfield inside the blocker he just ran himself towards the sideline out of the way. Jags were running quick pass plays to neutralize the Colt pass rush and the Colt db's were still playing loose soft coverage, WHY? They need to come up and get in someones face. Patmon's drop when he was wide open on 3rd and 6 was a killer. Dulin made some nice catches(and was open). All in all I don't get all the gloom and doom on here after watching the 1st half. Like I said typical Colt defense of the past 25 years, except the run defense is outstanding. 

How can you not “get” the gloom and doom after the past four games?

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We...

• Whipped Buffalo and AZ

Obvious to me.

So you are saying we compete against the best, and we take a chill pill against the worst. So, whats the mantra "Be the worse" then all are better than us?

1 minute ago, coltsfan_canada said:

So you are saying we compete against the best, and we take a chill pill against the worst. So, whats the mantra "Be the worse" then all are better than us?

Locker room was lost late 2021 season.

IMO, they simply don't believe after the summer....  

Need a fresh voice, new approach. 

5 hours ago, Two_pound said:

That was driving me insane. They were dinking and dunking us to death and we refused to adjust. Just giving them the quick 6-7 yard gains so they seemed to always be in 2nd or 3rd and short. Gilmore was also getting bullied by Engram. Matchup problem for him I know, but dude was just getting pushed around.

Frank has to go, but after the season. Ballard too in my opinion.

It’s not just a coaching issue - they’ve been hyping our WRs for how long now? Short of Pitt we have NOTHING!

After a bad season they let Glow go and replaced two guys on the Oline with backups hoping to get BETTER?!….

We’re overpaying non-premium positions and shuffling QB, LT, DE and CBs. Our team is just built backwards. 

That said, Frank’s playcalling belongs in the ‘80s and Bradley’s scheme is a decade out of date. That’s also in part on Ballard for wanting those guys and those schemes. 

Archived