Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is this really supposed to make us feel better?

Irsay is just annoying with his tweeting. Of course he could be directing it towards some people on this board but he is just trying to tell people to keep the faith and hang on. It might be bumpy at first but if you hang with us the ride should be memorable. We shall see.

In a way he is right. Hang on even if it's bumpy. Expectations are low right now.

Heck in a way that same thing applies to 2006. How many lost hope for a title based on the run defense? Come on, we all did at times. But, we hung on and kept hoping......and magic happened.

As fans all we can do is hope. Have faith. Cross our fingers.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this season and next will be kinda a wash, 4-12 this, 5-11 next, but an explosion as key players are drafted and developed. It may be 6 years before we win a playoff game, but I do see us in the playoffs in year 3 rebuilding phase, and consistently there every year thereafter.

I may be wrong, but I feel it's a subtle jab to Peyton too. Not intentional but it's there.....in terms of how long it took to win in the playoffs with Manning. And our overall record in the postseason with him.

That's what I feel. He tweeted almost the same exact thing on the day Peyton picked the Broncos. The day the media was most surrounding him. So in a way I think Jim is immature.

I've removed some posts from this thread because they discussed moderation and skirted the filter.

If you have questions about the filter, by all means message one of us about it. we do not discuss moderation on the boards

Please do no attempt to avoid the profanity filters. Profanity and vulgarity in posts, veiled or otherwise, is unacceptable and prohibited. The intentional misspelling, replacing letters with special characters (@, $, etc.) or using asterisks in place of such words constitutes veiled profanity and vulgarity. Posts containing such content are subject to editing or deletion.

Moderators issue warnings for violations of the Forum Code of Conduct via personal messages (PM) and e-mail. To discuss a warning or violation with the issuing moderator, reply via the PM or e-mail sent to you. Do not discuss warnings or violations in an open forum.

That's what I feel. He tweeted almost the same exact thing on the day Peyton picked the Broncos. The day the media was most surrounding him. So in a way I think Jim is immature.

Yes, that is when he last tweeted this. I knew he did recently.

I have no problem with the tweet. I'm not sure why people chose to read so much into it. Do you interpret it to mean that he doesn't expect to win a playoff game for six years? That he doesn't want to? That he isn't going to try? That's ridiculous. He's a bigger fan than any of us could ever dream of being.

All he did was repeat a fact (which I was already well aware of). It's abundantly clear to me that the purpose is to temper unrealistic expectations. Would you rather he say "Luck is BETTER than Peyton, I GUARANTEE a Super Bowl victory in his FIRST YEAR". People have short and selective memories. Many are remembering Peyton during his MVP years, hearing comments about Luck being "the best prospect since Elway", and foolishly expecting instant gratification. Unrealistic expectations inevitably fuel inappropriate disappointment. He is trying to head some of that off by reminding people that "Peyton wasn't even Peyton" until he had several years under his belt, and that growth period made us appreciate him even more as he evolved. Lets try to take it down a notch and enjoy the growth process with Luck - regardless of how long it takes.

In other words, the Tweet is directed at the nincompoops among us. If you aren't one, than just ignore it.

In a related note, I'm not surprised in the slightest that Brad Wells couldn't ignore it. :P

This post is just packed chock full of common sense in every nook and cranny. Particularly liked the bolded parts. +1

In case you missed it, Jim Irsay tweeted this a couple of minutes ago:

Jim Irsay@JimIrsay

The schedule is out and new era is here..in 1998 we went 3-13 and it took us until Jan. 2004,almost 6 years,to win 1st playoff game;Patience

I dont know about all of you, but thats not exactly what I want to hear

Since we went to the playoffs in 99, 00, 02, and the AFC Championship game in 03, I'll be happy to have that kind of patience.

I think people need to take a deep breath and realize what Irsay knows.... "we" are NOT going to the Super Bowl for a while! I'll admit this here, I've been spoiled, SPOILED as a football fan these past years. If I could get my hands on Irsay... I.. I dont know if I'd throttle him, or cry til I had a snot bubble. (probably the latter)

Someone earlier made a comment about Jim being the biggest fan of all of us. Maybe, but I think more than a fan, he has to be a business man 1st. Thats what these past few months have been, thats what these next few years will be. Business.

It makes me feel better in knowing that I have to temper my unrealistic expectations and the timing for a rebuild.

I must take into account that the team will have:

1) A rookie QB

2) A rookie HC

3) A rookie GM

4) many new players that will need to step into starting positions.

It makes me feel better in knowing that I have to temper my unrealistic expectations and the timing for a rebuild.

I must take into account that the team will have:

1) A rookie QB

2) A rookie HC

3) A rookie GM

4) many new players that will need to step into starting positions.

I think there are a lot of people out there that have not yet come to terms with just how big of a step backwards has been taken. Irsay is expecting/hoping that it will be a temporary step backward that sets the team up for another great run of success, but you can never tell for sure. You just gotta sit back and see what happens, but it is probably not going to be a smooth ride for the next few years. We are probably going to see some ugly football. I think the people that are expecting the Colts to bounce back and be contenders almost immediately now that the bumbling Polians are gone are going to be in for a rude awakening. At this point, I will be thrilled if the Colts ever get back to what they have been over the past decade or so.

I think there are a lot of people out there that have not yet come to terms with just how big of a step backwards has been taken. Irsay is expecting/hoping that it will be a temporary step backward that sets the team up for another great run of success, but you can never tell for sure. You just gotta sit back and see what happens, but it is probably not going to be a smooth ride for the next few years. We are probably going to see some ugly football. I think the people that are expecting the Colts to bounce back and be contenders almost immediately now that the bumbling Polians are gone are going to be in for a rude awakening. At this point, I will be thrilled if the Colts ever get back to what they have been over the past decade or so.

Yes. Because if this year proved anything. It's that teams in the AFC with new defenses, and rookie QBs cannot make quality runs into the postseason.

well considering Luck is on tape and paper considered to be the best prospect coming out since Peyton that sounds pretty lucky now it has to translate onto the field, keep in mind it didnt for peyton that first year

Don't want to split hairs, but IMO #18's rookie year was pretty amazing. His rookie TD mark stood until last season. He threw a bunch of picks, but everyone around here knew that he was going to be special just watching him carve up NFL defenses from day 1.

Don't want to split hairs, but IMO #18's rookie year was pretty amazing. His rookie TD mark stood until last season. He threw a bunch of picks, but everyone around here knew that he was going to be special just watching him carve up NFL defenses from day 1.

I agree, its also going to be exciting to see what Luck do as well

He lost his yardage record last year, but I'm fairly certain he still has the TD pass mark of 26.

Here's what bothers me most about Jim Irsay: Yes, I know he signs all the big checks for players, coaches, & the accompanying staff. But, what in the world is an NFL owner doing on Twitter? The best owners in this league like the Steelers Rooney's remain silent & handle all their franchise business from hires, to fires, to disciplinary actions behind closed doors. You never publicize team business or rampant speculation all over the Internet & world wide web. You run a tight ship & lockdown all the hatches. And if a team mate speaks with a loose tongue to the media, established veterans take him aside & tell him to honor this house, their brothers that bleed with them everyday in practice, & to shut the bleep up.

Who could tell Irsay to zip it? God, celebrity owners detest & despise me to no end. Prove your reputation on the field. If your squad is solid, sound, & relentless, no one needs to blow or toot your own horn every other team can see that okay. Any rational thinking person with an elementary knowledge of football can realize that our team won't make the playoffs for at least 2-3 years & that assumes the right voids are filled through free agency & the draft with savvy players who soak up concrete fundamental football instruction with no ambiguity or resistance whatsoever. The best owners never crave the limelight; They have no interest in drawing attention toward themselves period. No one is bigger that the team including owners themselves as well.

He's just trying to tamper expectations

Are expectations that high to begin with though? Many feel calling 7-9 is optimistic. Some act like the Colts are doomed for 6-10 at best for years to come.

I personally am not sure it will take as long as some think. The AFC is the weaker conference ATM. QBs like Brady and Manning are aging. This is actually an excellent time IMO to rebuild in the AFC.

You didn't use that bad word involving a small piece of ridged metal that is often used to attach pieces of wood together did you! Bad bad bad.

But of course "sucks" is allowed. I've never been able to figure that one out. The filter is far from perfect.

Yes, I did, and yes it does. There needs to be a no-no list to refer to because I really didn't think the word would get bleeped.

I may be wrong, but I feel it's a subtle jab to Peyton too. Not intentional but it's there.....in terms of how long it took to win in the playoffs with Manning. And our overall record in the postseason with him.

"you are what your record says you are" Bill Parcels

Check out these all time playoff records by QB's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_starting_quarterback_playoff_records

Interesting aye....

Its obvious he is trying to recreate the 12 year run by doing what he did in '98. Hes expecting 3 wins tops this year so he can save up a bunch of DPs like he did in '99.

The only differences?

Bill Polian was doing the drafting

One of the picks ended up being Peyton Manning.

Like Manning, BP may have been the best of all time. If Jim is extremely "lucky" either grigson or luck will pan out to be as good as their predecesors.

I just don't see this working out like '98 - Jimbo.

My Grandmother could have drafted Peyton Manning. Then again, Bill did act like an old lady most of the time.

"you are what your record says you are" Bill Parcels

Check out these all time playoff records by QB's

http://en.wikipedia....playoff_records

Interesting aye....

Gah, Brady. You know what? I have this hunch that Brady/BB have one more ring left in them before old Tom hangs it up. I hope I am wrong. I can just see them going balls out some season to get it done again.

I can also promise you this. Luck I doubt will get excuses made for him when the Colts lose in the playoffs someday. If we get there of course. His road is going to be tougher to prove himself and in some ways I believe the way he is going to have to do this is in the playoffs someday with wins/memorable moments.

Irsay has said from the time he started by getting rid of the Polians (notice the plural) that we were headed for a difficult period. The individuals on this board who think we have a playoff caliber team at this point are, in my mind delusional. We had the greatest 10 year run in the history of the NFL and, like the San Francisco and Dallas after their great runs, we are going to have more than one more down year.

As for Manning's second year when we did go to the playoffs, the talent on that team was much better than we have now. We had a solid OL, a HOF wide receiver in his prime, had just drafted a truly dominant running back to replace a HOF running back, two solid tight ends, and a defense that had been in place several years. The free agents that everyone is so excited about do not look like major improvements to me. I think they are adequate at best and I have always believed that chasing free agents is a great way to ensure mediocrity.

I believe that we may actually have the first pick in the 2013 draft to follow-up on this year. I believe that is a more realistic expectation than believing we will make the playoffs in 2012 or even make it to 6 wins.

Does this make me less of a fan? NO! I have followed the Colts closely since 1958 when I was 11 years old. I will continue to follow them and hope for a championship, but know going in it will be 3-4 years before we can seriously compete for one.

My Grandmother could have drafted Peyton Manning. Then again, Bill did act like an old lady most of the time.

And now he is starting to look like one.

It wasn't manning that I was referring to when I mention Bill. Its all the non obvious picks & moves he made in the years following.

In case you missed it, Jim Irsay tweeted this a couple of minutes ago:

Jim Irsay @JimIrsay

The schedule is out and new era is here..in 1998 we went 3-13 and it took us until Jan. 2004,almost 6 years,to win 1st playoff game;Patience

I dont know about all of you, but thats not exactly what I want to hear

I cant believe a owner is basically saying its cool if we dont make the playoffs for 6 years. lol. Sad.

Irsay has said from the time he started by getting rid of the Polians (notice the plural) that we were headed for a difficult period. The individuals on this board who think we have a playoff caliber team at this point are, in my mind delusional. We had the greatest 10 year run in the history of the NFL and, like the San Francisco and Dallas after their great runs, we are going to have more than one more down year.

As for Manning's second year when we did go to the playoffs, the talent on that team was much better than we have now. We had a solid OL, a HOF wide receiver in his prime, had just drafted a truly dominant running back to replace a HOF running back, two solid tight ends, and a defense that had been in place several years. The free agents that everyone is so excited about do not look like major improvements to me. I think they are adequate at best and I have always believed that chasing free agents is a great way to ensure mediocrity.

I believe that we may actually have the first pick in the 2013 draft to follow-up on this year. I believe that is a more realistic expectation than believing we will make the playoffs in 2012 or even make it to 6 wins.

Does this make me less of a fan? NO! I have followed the Colts closely since 1958 when I was 11 years old. I will continue to follow them and hope for a championship, but know going in it will be 3-4 years before we can seriously compete for one.

To me it's only the greatest 10 year run in history if the postseason lives up to the regular season too.

The Patriots are the team of the last decade not us. And the Steelers IMO have a strong argument as #2 with two SB titles.