Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is this really supposed to make us feel better?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In case you missed it, Jim Irsay tweeted this a couple of minutes ago:

Jim Irsay @JimIrsay

The schedule is out and new era is here..in 1998 we went 3-13 and it took us until Jan. 2004,almost 6 years,to win 1st playoff game;Patience

I dont know about all of you, but thats not exactly what I want to hear

He's saying "I >>>ed up by dumping Peyton and the rest of the starters so don't expect much for a while"

I'm reassured that it's going to be a few years before the Colts are headliners again but I waited before and I can do it again.

He's just trying to temper the fans expectations and wanting us all to remain patient. Its gonna take time to get back to greatness and Irsay knows that many fans can't handle a couple of losing seasons because they always have unrealistic expectations.

He's saying "I >>>ed up by dumping Peyton and the rest of the starters so don't expect much for a while"

I'm reassured that it's going to be a few years before the Colts are headliners again but I waited before and I can do it again.

just think if we still had all our starters and this schedule.......

No, he's saying "I goofed by allowing Polian to ignore, or whiff on, replacing aging players. Remember that rebuilding won't be overnight."

Irsay, Irsay, Irsay, when are you going to learn that "less is more" in this overanalyzed twittery world? :)

If he was going to say something, he should just say "keep the faith, we will do everything possible to put a winning product on the field with every draft and offseason". He is a businessman, cant and shouldn't say everything that comes to his mind.

Irsay, Irsay, Irsay, when are you going to learn that "less is more" in this overanalyzed twittery world? :)

If he was going to say something, he should just say "keep the faith, we will do everything possible to put a winning product on the field with every draft and offseason". He is a businessman, cant and shouldn't say everything that comes to his mind.

Just as 'Build it and they will come', so is 'if you read it, he will write'.

You didn't use that bad word involving a small piece of ridged metal that is often used to attach pieces of wood together did you! Bad bad bad.

But of course "sucks" is allowed. I've never been able to figure that one out. The filter is far from perfect.

I have no problem with the tweet. I'm not sure why people chose to read so much into it. Do you interpret it to mean that he doesn't expect to win a playoff game for six years? That he doesn't want to? That he isn't going to try? That's ridiculous. He's a bigger fan than any of us could ever dream of being.

All he did was repeat a fact (which I was already well aware of). It's abundantly clear to me that the purpose is to temper unrealistic expectations. Would you rather he say "Luck is BETTER than Peyton, I GUARANTEE a Super Bowl victory in his FIRST YEAR". People have short and selective memories. Many are remembering Peyton during his MVP years, hearing comments about Luck being "the best prospect since Elway", and foolishly expecting instant gratification. Unrealistic expectations inevitably fuel inappropriate disappointment. He is trying to head some of that off by reminding people that "Peyton wasn't even Peyton" until he had several years under his belt, and that growth period made us appreciate him even more as he evolved. Lets try to take it down a notch and enjoy the growth process with Luck - regardless of how long it takes.

In other words, the Tweet is directed at the nincompoops among us. If you aren't one, than just ignore it.

In a related note, I'm not surprised in the slightest that Brad Wells couldn't ignore it. :P

things will take time its that simple, they werent building a whole team together when Peyton showed up, Colts already had Marvin and they had Faulk Peytons rookie year Ken Dilger (who wasnt nothing special) but was good for us) and a future pro bowler in Tarik Glenn, Im tired of hearing he dumped Peyton and he >>>ed that up, Jim is a businessman he did whats best for business, would anyone like to be biting our nails on the edge of our seats wondering if Peyton could take a hit with that neck and not to mention at the price of 28 million $. he made the toughest call hes probably ever had to do in the history of the Colts. it was the right call

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2012 - skirting the profanity filter
Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2012 - skirting the profanity filter

ok cant say s c r e w e d even on here Im really feeling like were all a bunch of two year olds here. I get the obvious words we cant say for obvious reasons but wow

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2012 - discussing moderation
Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2012 - discussing moderation

You didn't use that bad word involving a small piece of ridged metal that is often used to attach pieces of wood together did you! Bad bad bad.

But of course "sucks" is allowed. I've never been able to figure that one out. The filter is far from perfect.

I've seen boards that edit the name of Hall of Fame linebacker Dick Butkus. I guess we will see if this one just did it.

Oh but of course. Irsay says the Colts are Lucky remember?

well considering Luck is on tape and paper considered to be the best prospect coming out since Peyton that sounds pretty lucky now it has to translate onto the field, keep in mind it didnt for peyton that first year

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2012 - give me a break
Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2012 - give me a break

I've seen boards that edit the name of Hall of Fame linebacker Dick Butkus. I guess we will see if this one just did it.

nope buttkiss is allowed....chuckles oops Butkus
Posted · Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2012 - part of the moderation discussion
Hidden by Nadine, April 18, 2012 - part of the moderation discussion

Nope. haha What a name by the way. Just like the Johnny Cash song "A Boy Named Sue", if you are named "Dick Butkus", you either grow up to be one of the meanest LBs in NFL history, or you end up in a padded room somewhere.

In case you missed it, Jim Irsay tweeted this a couple of minutes ago:

Jim Irsay @JimIrsay

The schedule is out and new era is here..in 1998 we went 3-13 and it took us until Jan. 2004,almost 6 years,to win 1st playoff game;Patience

I dont know about all of you, but thats not exactly what I want to hear

People are looking to much into this. He's simply stating the fact that it took 6 years for the Colts to win their first playoff game and that the fans need to exercise patience.

Nowhere in that tweet says, "Hey ppl, it mgt take teh horse 6 yrs to get 2 playoffs OR I Jim Irsy expect it 2 take up 2 six yrs to win a playoff game"

Nonetheless I do agree he needs to chill out on the Twitter, it is getting ever increasingly annoying. It makes me want to :wall: ..

Hey.... it could be worse.

What does Mike Brown tweet in Cincinnati?.... "Remember, we had the #1 pick in 1994, 1995 and 2003 and it took us until..... well, never mind"

in 1992 we had the number 1 AND number 2 pick overall.. That turned out swimmingly.

in 1992 we had the number 1 AND number 2 pick overall.. That turned out swimmingly.

Yeah.... they should have renamed the RCA Dome the ACL Dome in Steve Emtman's honor.

And Quentin Coryatt's coulda woulda shoulda INT versus the Steelers in the AFCCG short-circuited any luster for his #2 overall selection.

Its obvious he is trying to recreate the 12 year run by doing what he did in '98. Hes expecting 3 wins tops this year so he can save up a bunch of DPs like he did in '99.

The only differences?

Bill Polian was doing the drafting

One of the picks ended up being Peyton Manning.

Like Manning, BP may have been the best of all time. If Jim is extremely "lucky" either grigson or luck will pan out to be as good as their predecesors.

I just don't see this working out like '98 - Jimbo.

with all that said, Im going to take a break for a couple days until the draft we have exhausted many subjects and many of us say the same things just in different ways of saying over and over them INCLUDING myself just out of nothing much happening at the moment thats being put out their for us fans, Ill be back on draft day, I wish everyone well unless something huge happens before then

People often try to analyze what he says too much.

Just don't take it too seriously at times. Go with the flow.......

I honestly don't think Jim feels it will take as long as he sometimes likes fans to believe. He is trying to also curb the Peyton enthusiasm too IMO, remind you that he was not superman himself. That it takes a team around a QB......not just a QB himself.

Just throwing out the possibility. A possibility that can't really be ignored.

On a side note, when I take a shot. They are direct as opposed to petty or masked.

Fair enough. I guess I found the thought absurd and without a real possibility. Wouldn't be the first time my reality is outside the bell curve.

Irsay is just annoying with his tweeting. Of course he could be directing it towards some people on this board but he is just trying to tell people to keep the faith and hang on. It might be bumpy at first but if you hang with us the ride should be memorable. We shall see.

Speaking on Irsay tweeting rather than the content....

A CEO tweeting on his companies behalf is unheard of as most social networking saavy companies have a PR team handle that. While the team isn't a public company, its still a business (as many of you have stressed) so Irsay should probably have a PR person do all the tweeting on the colts behalf on an official account...and they should not be constructed like a 12 year old girl.

The problem is Irsay is using Twitter as if he is a celebrity...and hes not. Its hard to decipher the happy-go-lucky billionaire tweets from the colts owner tweets.

He should make a separate account for his ego that we can all unfollow.