Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts place amongst the loaded AFC teams

bluephantom87

As the Colts sit here with no qb1 as of now, where do you see them in the AFC hierarchy? Are they better than the Bills, Chiefs, Raiders, Bengals, or Titans? (Who all made moves to amass more talent) Are they better than the "fringe" teams who made major upgrades such as the Broncos, Chargers, or Browns? I don't care who the qb is for the Steelers the Colts can never seem to beat them. I think realistically they sit with the Pats (who let a lot of talent leave this offseason) and the Dolphins.

Believe or not the Jags are now in a better place and will move up in the South sooner than some may think. The Colts themselves have flipped 10 win differences with Manning and Luck so it's possible with Lawrence. Although it's highly unlikely for them to do so, it is possible for them to pickup 7 to 8 games by adding more talent and by having a better coaching staff? Yes

The Colts themselves still need to upgrade at LT, add a dynamic te and bring in some receivers who can separate in order to field a balanced non stale offense. Whoever ends up being the starting qb he better be mobile because that pass protection was abysmal last season and it did Carson no favors BUT as usual in Ballard we trust to fix the issues he self created. In the end the AFC is loaded and the time is now to start making moves just to keep up.

"As the Colts sit here" now - We may be the worst team in the AFC.

Sam Elhinger (no NFL passes) at QB, Matt Pryor (one NFL start) at LT, MPJ and ??? at WR.  A great RB who will see 9 in the box.  D potentially looks solid.

Obviously, I don't expect Sam to be the starter, but I'm still not sure how LT is going to improve.  And you said "as of now".

To me, Bengals are the defending AFC champions. KC Chiefs, I am not so sure they will get back to the AFCCG again because of their division but if you have an elite QB, you can possibly do it, I guess.

In order of my odds to reach AFCCG again:

Bills

Bengals

Chiefs

Chargers (J C Jackson, Khalil Mack, Gerald Everett, Sebastian Joseph Day and Austin Johnson for DT to improve their close to league worst run D in free agency)

Ravens

Broncos

Titans

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To me, Bengals are the defending AFC champions. KC Chiefs, I am not so sure they will get back to the AFCCG again because of their division but if you have an elite QB, you can possibly do it, I guess.

Bills

Bengals

Chiefs

Chargers (J C Jackson, Khalil Mack, Gerald Everett, Sebastian Joseph Day and Austin Johnson for DT to improve their close to league worst run D in free agency)

Ravens

Broncos

Titans

This is why we need Matt Ryan, other wise it is over. 

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Bills

Bengals

Chiefs

Ravens

Broncos

Titans

If Watson is playing this season, the Browns are loaded.  They could easily be in that top 3.

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Colts missed out on a weaker AFC from 2016-2017, IMO. Now the AFC is like the mid 2000s that had Brady, Manning, Big Ben, Rivers, and an always pesky Ravens squad. It doesn't have to be offense, we can at least be a defensive force like that mid-2000s Ravens squad with the right moves. I would gladly take that.

I know it is basically the "off" season right now but I find it funny how many fans talk about where teams look at on "PAPER"  especially this early in the year but I do understand without the Colts having a QB its something to talk about . Just remember all teams start 0-0 and they have to be played and each year there is only ONE true winner. 

All the games still have to be played , any given Sunday and most teams are just one injury away from going from relevant to being the LIONS or JAGS .  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Matt but I think the pass protection on this team will have him laying down more often than not just to avoid sacks. Also add to the fact that this receiving core is VERY limited. I don't know if he gets the benefit of an easy schedule like Rivers did in his only season as a Colt but I can tell you this opponents will focus solely on stopping the run next season as they did down the stretch last season because NO ONE fears their passing game. Add the avg at best Sam Ehlinger to the mix and the passing game drops off even more. To me their run game is basic, JT is just a special talent who is capable of gashing you for 1 or 2 big runs a game which allowed him to maintain that avg down the stretch.

Yes Matt can get the ball out quick but if you take away the run game and press the non explosive receivers this unimaginative offense will look very pedestrian. Not really a fan of Baker but he has more upside at this point of their careers (age, mobility, contract, talent, with arms being equal) and he knows the afc.

I said from the beginning Ballard's slow plan is ok and sound but it's a relic (like their run game) in today's NFL. Teams are not sitting pat while you slowly build through the draft at the non skill positions. The Colts now find themselves as an avg team on the brink of becoming irrelevant in a LOADED afc.

12 minutes ago, mirobi48 said:

I think the Colts throw this season away, for the 1st pick in 2023

I would actually have some respect for Ballard if he was doing this intentionally. Cause if he is doing this bad while genuinely trying, then his GM status is in the toilet for me. Only 2 ways we compete in the future with this loaded AFC IMO is if we get Mayfield and he becomes our franchise QB for 10-12 years, or if we tank this year and draft Bryce Young or CJ Stroud with a top 5 pick next year.

Those are the only two options IMO. I had originally thought maybe drafting a QB this year might be an option, but with the lack of improvement to this team thus far in FA, plus the fact that we may have to trade up in the draft and use valuable draft picks that could of been used to improve other positions, it wouldn't work out.

22 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

kind of pointless to do this before we know who the qb is.  If we get Matt Ryan the division will be winnable, might even be favored

Our qb situation has been unstable for YEARS now and that's the point. While the Colts have been experimenting the rest of the AFC has raced right past them. Oh by the way they just let a qb go after one season in which they gave up a 1st and turned into 2nd rd pick for. A qb that finished near top 10 in some stats with a collection of subpar receivers (minus one), a tough schedule and some very shakey pass protection. I'm no Wentz fan by no means (decision making) but he's better than what we have now as well as some of the options available at this point.

Has anyone really watched Matt Ryan play lately? I have. He has steadily gone downhill since the super bowl. And we have even less weapons than Atlanta had. With our bad pass pro OL and no weapons he will be a sitting duck and we will have wasted valuable draft picks. 

If we took this roster into the season, i'm not sure how we'd fare. We won't because we have only two QBs and neither is likely going to start when the season kicks off but if Ehlinger starts in September, it's hard to say what the result would be. On the one hand, of the teams you listed as being above us... We stomped Buffalo and New England last season with Wentz's only contribution not losing us the game, we were neither here nor there vs the Titans but the 1st game was especially indicative of how much the gap is between Wentz and Sam, we dragged a one legged Wentz along in that 1st game, so maybe the gap is a chasm.

Wentz was very good vs Baltimore.

We're a running team. We've been built that way because we have not had a QB to really press teams. All we ask our QB to do is let the RBs do the work but be sharp enough to punish defenses who cheat to stop the run. It's not that hard an ask. It's QB'ing with training wheels. If Ehlinger had a slightly stronger arm, i'd be sure he could effectively run this offense. If Jacoby would have been less scared of deep shots, if Rivers had a stronger arm, if Wentz....well if Wentz wasnt doing whatever messed up things his brain tells him to do when he panics...ifs and buts is all it is, but i think we don't ask our QBs to be superheros so i am convinced someone like Marcus Mariota could have us 9-8 or thereabout.

9 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I wish they would figure out who the QB is, so everyone can jump on that thread instead of making ones like this. 

The Colts are not new to this qb situation. My advice to you is go ahead and wait for that thread along with the others about lack of moves LEADING to our position in the AFC. If not careful this team will be looking up at the Jags, forget the rest of the AFC.

Maybe the hope of management is that our division is weak and it may not take much too win it or at least contend and bandaid QB's like Ryan can achieve that. ...and that's probably a goal they might be satisfied with. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if the jags leapfrog over both Indy & Tennessee and then maybe, possibly they truly try and draft a Elite/ Franchise QB to compete with all the other guns in the AFC.

11 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Win the division. Wildcard is slim

My thoughts exactly.

We do play the NFC East (easier) and AFC West (brutal) mixed in with Steelers, Vikings and Patriots. It will be an interesting season.

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

The Colts are not new to this qb situation. My advice to you is go ahead and wait for that thread along with the others about lack of moves LEADING to our position in the AFC. If not careful this team will be looking up at the Jags, forget the rest of the AFC.

Welp, that didn't take long. SEE YA! 

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

My thoughts exactly.

We do play the NFC East (easier) and AFC West (brutal) mixed in with Steelers, Vikings and Patriots. It will be an interesting season.

It’s a very tough schedule once again. The Steelers & Vikings are two teams that are likely to be much better than last year. 

6 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

As the Colts sit here with no qb1 as of now, where do you see them in the AFC hierarchy? Are they better than the Bills, Chiefs, Raiders, Bengals, or Titans? (Who all made moves to amass more talent) Are they better than the "fringe" teams who made major upgrades such as the Broncos, Chargers, or Browns? I don't care who the qb is for the Steelers the Colts can never seem to beat them. I think realistically they sit with the Pats (who let a lot of talent leave this offseason) and the Dolphins.

Believe or not the Jags are now in a better place and will move up in the South sooner than some may think. The Colts themselves have flipped 10 win differences with Manning and Luck so it's possible with Lawrence. Although it's highly unlikely for them to do so, it is possible for them to pickup 7 to 8 games by adding more talent and by having a better coaching staff? Yes

The Colts themselves still need to upgrade at LT, add a dynamic te and bring in some receivers who can separate in order to field a balanced non stale offense. Whoever ends up being the starting qb he better be mobile because that pass protection was abysmal last season and it did Carson no favors BUT as usual in Ballard we trust to fix the issues he self created. In the end the AFC is loaded and the time is now to start making moves just to keep up.

I think they add a guy like Armstead and it makes everything so much better. Go and get wrs in the draft as it is loaded. You never know maybe Parris plays a couple of games. By that time, the rookies maybe ready to go lol

All the AFC West hype - rarely if ever in sports does a similar hyped situation pan out.  

Kevin Bowen just said he's never seen the AFC so strong.  Lol. Did you live through the 2000s when you had to go through the Pats, Steelers, Colts and Chargers to win a Super Bowl?  Ever watch anything or read about the AFC in the 70s?  Kevin needs to back off that nonsense.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

My thoughts exactly.

4 hours ago, runthepost said:

Win the division. Wildcard is slim

Maybe not.

If we sweep the Texans and split with jags & Titans that's 4-2 at worse in division while the west is beating up on each other. Maybe a game or two advantage and colts face a bad NFC East....I think a Wild card is possible if Ryan and other key positions work out. 

But of course a division title is preferable. 

I feel like many people here know our team so well that they see every spot where the Colts are weak and use that in their projections. But when discussing other teams, people only think about the stars of those teams and neglect the weaker areas. Every single team in the NFL has things they’re good at and things they’re not so good at. The Colts are fine. We’re probably not the best team, but I feel like we’re a lot closer to being that than we are the worst team. 

We were in it till the last week of the season, and should have made the playoffs. I suspect we’ll be in the thick of it again. 

On 3/21/2022 at 6:08 PM, #12. said:

All the AFC West hype - rarely if ever in sports does a similar hyped situation pan out.  

Kevin Bowen just said he's never seen the AFC so strong.  Lol. Did you live through the 2000s when you had to go through the Pats, Steelers, Colts and Chargers to win a Super Bowl?  Ever watch anything or read about the AFC in the 70s?  Kevin needs to back off that nonsense.

I like Kevin but I think he’s overrating the other teams and underrating the Colts, in part because he didn’t want Ryan before the trade and he’s covering his back by downplaying the difference Ryan might make.

A couple of pieces and the Colts will be in the mix to win it all THIS year.

On 3/21/2022 at 9:37 AM, chad72 said:

Bills

Bengals

Chiefs

Ravens

Broncos

Titans

After this Tyreek Hill trade, I am moving the Chargers and Ravens ahead of the Chiefs. Ravens are loaded again on defense. I would have to say the Raiders are a better team than the Titans with Adams added and Chandler Jones added. Broncos, just have not seen their WRs with a very good QB, they are definitely the biggest X factors.

Bills

Bengals

Ravens

Chiefs

Broncos

Raiders

Titans

On 3/21/2022 at 11:34 AM, strt182 said:

I know it is basically the "off" season right now but I find it funny how many fans talk about where teams look at on "PAPER"  especially this early in the year but I do understand without the Colts having a QB its something to talk about . Just remember all teams start 0-0 and they have to be played and each year there is only ONE true winner. 

All the games still have to be played , any given Sunday and most teams are just one injury away from going from relevant to being the LIONS or JAGS .  

You just wrote the smartest thing on here since 1984.  I think a few on here need to get outside and do something else then face plant a screen. LOL

Archived