Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts have hired Reggie Wayne as WR coach

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Anyone else get the sense all these former players turn coaches signing are more indicative of the rumor coaches are staying away because of the sinking ship comments? I mean I know their mostly assistant and/or position coaches, but that can be looked as Colts are not getting the coaches they want. Course all this is just speculation.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Anyone else get the sense all these former players turn coaches signing are more indicative of the rumor coaches are staying away because of the sinking ship comments? I mean I know their mostly assistant and/or position coaches, but that can be looked as Colts are not getting the coaches they want. Course all this is just speculation.

The assistants hired or rumored to be hired certainly seem to have a thin coaching resume.

I don't think this is because of any coaches staying away from the team.  We haven't seen a single rumor that they want to interview anyone, and even if a guy is wary of a team, they almost always accept the interview invitation, just like the rest of us, it always behooves them to do their due diligence....  So I'd say this is more just a desire to do something different and more "outside the box" compared to the usual Colts structure....

Also, it could be partly driven by a desire from Jim to surround the team with more influence from the "golden years"

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The assistants hired or rumored to be hired certainly seem to have a thin coaching resume.

I mean, Mitchell and June are assistants to assistants.  Guys hired to those positions typically DON'T have much of a resume yet.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I don't feel this way. I look at it as a push to get leaders in the room who have been to championships, who have won championships to push these players. More veteran presence. It's common for a team to have assistants with limited coaching experience. It's a good bridge for ex-players looking to get more opportunities into coaching as well. 

None of the current hires are that eye-raising either. Mike Mitchell was an EXCELLENT influence on our DBs while here, Cato has been in coaching. Reggie would be the only one without true coaching experience but no doubt in my mind that he would add value. 

If they were being hired for more key positions like DC/OC etc I would be more inclined to agree. 

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

No. Reggie will make a great coach and has shown interest in wanting to do it. These are perfect positions for guys wanting to get a start in coaching in the nfl. Who wouldn’t want a HOF WR coaching your receivers.

7 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

I don't feel this way. I look at it as a push to get leaders in the room who have been to championships, who have won championships to push these players. More veteran presence. It's common for a team to have assistants with limited coaching experience. It's a good bridge for ex-players looking to get more opportunities into coaching as well. 

None of the current hires are that eye-raising either. Mike Mitchell was an EXCELLENT influence on our DBs while here, Cato has been in coaching. Reggie would be the only one without true coaching experience but no doubt in my mind that he would add value. 

If they were being hired for more key positions like DC/OC etc I would be more inclined to agree. 

You nailed it. We are lacking a championship hunger  and this is a perfect way to do it. 

8 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I don't think this is because of any coaches staying away from the team.  We haven't seen a single rumor that they want to interview anyone, and even if a guy is wary of a team, they almost always accept the interview invitation, just like the rest of us, it always behooves them to do their due diligence....  So I'd say this is more just a desire to do something different and more "outside the box" compared to the usual Colts structure....

Also, it could be partly driven by a desire from Jim to surround the team with more influence from the "golden years"

I mean, Mitchell and June are assistants to assistants.  Guys hired to those positions typically DON'T have much of a resume yet.

Maybe they have successful assistant coaching stints in colleges...even major colleges...and would see a chance to get into the NFL as a step up?  I'm not sure that Wayne, June, or Mitchell have much coaching experience at all.  The NFL seems like a pretty lofty place to start.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Maybe they have successful assistant coaching stints in colleges...even major colleges...and would see a chance to get into the NFL as a step up?  I'm not sure that Wayne, June, or Mitchell have much coaching experience at all.  The NFL seems like a pretty lofty place to start.

I think there have been plenty examples of college coaches that struggle to make the jump to the NFL because it's different. It's still football but it's different. Players who have played successfully for a long time have more than enough resume for me to handle an assistant roles. Chances are, they were coaches on the field and in the locker-room not by title but by nature. 

I agree, that it doesn't necessarily mean they will be good and successful but that's not a promise with candidates that have more experience in college either. 

Absolutely agree.

Mike Mitchell was an EXCELLENT influence on our DBs while here, Cato has been in coaching.

100%

Reggie would be the only one without true coaching experience but no doubt in my mind that he would add value. 

Exactly. He would be the most inexperienced as far as coaching resume, but he's absolutely someone that I believe can do the job well. He was well regarded for being essentially an extra coach towards the end of his career and TY credits Reggie with him becoming the WR he was. The on-paper resume may be thin, but the experience, knowledge, and respect is all there.

Some earlier comments about the WR coach position made me think Reggie would be a major consideration. I was excited then and I'll be excited if he gets the position.

Yet again, agreed.

36 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

I think there have been plenty examples of college coaches that struggle to make the jump to the NFL because it's different. It's still football but it's different. Players who have played successfully for a long time have more than enough resume for me to handle an assistant roles. Chances are, they were coaches on the field and in the locker-room not by title but by nature. 

I agree, that it doesn't necessarily mean they will be good and successful but that's not a promise with candidates that have more experience in college either. 

I don't know about the sinking ship thingy that's implied.  Could be part of it though.

Frank and Gus are pretty well-versed in what they want to run.  They know what every player on the field is supposed to be doing.

If you're an experienced coach with full command of everybody's duties within your system, you can afford to hire less experienced assistants to help you handle the daily work.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know about the sinking ship thingy that's implied.  Could be part of it though.

Frank and Gus are pretty well-versed in what they want to run.  They know what every player on the field is supposed to be doing.

If you're an experienced coach with full command of everybody's duties within your system, you can afford to hire less experienced assistants to help you handle the daily work.

I am impressed with the hiring of former players to the Colt's coaching staff. They played the game at a high level, were successful  and now have a chance to give back by sharing their knowledge and expertise I think this a sign that we are more entuned with what players are wanting and will respect in todays NFL. Anyone watching the Colt's WR the last couple years  think they need to improve their route running and know how to read defenses better?

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

If it were a sinking ship why would they tarnish their legacy going down with that ship? Seriously....

25 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

If it were a sinking ship why would they tarnish their legacy going down with that ship? Seriously....

What legacy? Only Reggie is a HOFer. Cato June made one pro bowl and Mike Mitchell is a JAG

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

What legacy? Only Reggie is a HOFer. Cato June made one pro bowl and Mike Mitchell is a JAG

You answered your own question. There is another HOFer type guy that is interested too.......Robert Mathis.

So again, tell me how this is a sinking ship when the dearly departed took promotions (mostly) when they left. Let's also not forget that the previous DC who is now a HC was selected by the guy who DIDN'T take the job. Perhaps when he left Ballard can finally implement the defense he wants (Cover 3) and found a good DC to run it and that DC is picking a few familiar faces and a few new, fresh faced ones to add depth to the staff?????

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think that’s cool, if not also a little risky. I do have confidence that he’ll be solid, but yeah, even most great ex-players start off as assistants. 

I think Wes Welker served as an assistant coach for SF, helping Deebo.  I'd say he had a positive effect.  Hopefully we get the same from Wayne.

18 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

You answered your own question. There is another HOFer type guy that is interested too.......Robert Mathis.

So again, tell me how this is a sinking ship when the dearly departed took promotions (mostly) when they left. Let's also not forget that the previous DC who is now a HC was selected by the guy who DIDN'T take the job. Perhaps when he left Ballard can finally implement the defense he wants (Cover 3) and found a good DC to run it and that DC is picking a few familiar faces and a few new, fresh faced ones to add depth to the staff?????

All I'm saying is half the staff left and it took the colts some time just to hire a DL coach. It just makes you wonder.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Would love to have Reggie back with the team.  He was one of my all time favorites.  

I think Reggie will be an excellent WR coach.  He was one of the best route runners in his day.  I would think any young WR would love the chance to learn from him. 

Love hearing about the old guys cause it gives me the chance to retell some old training camp stories. So when camp was in THaute the players had campus housekeeping staff clean their rooms. The majority of these ladies were older gals with grandkids and close to retirement. Back when the players had golf carts to scoot around campus there was a vehicle bridge between the practice fields, Sports Center, and Dining Hall/Meeting rooms. One of the housekeepers had popped in at the practice field long enough to catch a few minutes of practice. As she was walking back across this bridge to return to work her shoe got caught on a concrete piece and basically face planted big time. Reggie was coming across the bridge at the same time. He jumped off his cart and immediately provided assistance and hung around until the arrival of an ambulance. She was admitted for a day from the injury. It is my understanding he actually sent her flowers while she was there. Bottom line.... the guy has a heart and maybe he could be a good example for current Colt players and Matt Stafford.

I don’t have enough knowledge about Reggie’s coaching ability to have an opinion on if he would be a good hire. I trust the staff to do what’s best for the team and not make a hire at position coach bc he was great for our team as a player and person. If they hire Reggie as the WR coach it will be bc they think he can do they job, otherwise he would be an assistant WR coach. 

On 2/27/2022 at 6:07 AM, Jackie Daytona said:

For those concerned particularly about Wayne's lack of experience. Do you actually think he's going to make our WR room LESS productive?

Shouldn't the goal be to make the WR room more productive? 

I love Reggie. Coaching is different from playing. Several great players have proved to be terrible coaches, because it's a different skill, different approach, different process. Not saying he can't do it, but it's not exactly my favorite idea. I'd rather a proven WR coach, with Reggie in a supporting role.

42 minutes ago, Superman said:

Shouldn't the goal be to make the WR room more productive? 

I love Reggie. Coaching is different from playing. Several great players have proved to be terrible coaches, because it's a different skill, different approach, different process. Not saying he can't do it, but it's not exactly my favorite idea. I'd rather a proven WR coach, with Reggie in a supporting role.

Agreed, but in fairness it should be noted that Hilton have talked very highly of the mentorship that Reggie provided for him. 

off topic, but I’m not changing my avatar! 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Agreed, but in fairness it should be noted that Hilton have talked very highly of the mentorship that Reggie provided for him. 

off topic, but I’m not changing my avatar! 

Mentorship is also different than full time coaching. I know TY likes the idea, I don't blame anyone for liking the idea. I'm just concerned that it's not the best move for the staff.

On 2/25/2022 at 6:30 PM, ojsglove said:

I think Reggie will be an excellent WR coach.  He was one of the best route runners in his day.  I would think any young WR would love the chance to learn from him. 

Agreed.  TY said he helped him entering the league and he's a great route runner too

Archived