Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts have hired Reggie Wayne as WR coach

Restinpeacesweetchloe

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

Mentorship is also different than full time coaching. I know TY likes the idea, I don't blame anyone for liking the idea. I'm just concerned that it's not the best move for the staff.

mentoring may not be the same as full time coaching but I would think its more indicative than not that someone who has  been good at mentoring would be a good coach.  there's at least some similar qualities to both.

Teaching is the primary function of coaching.  Not just teaching football fundamentals of your position group - but - also teaching accountability - practice habits - how to be a successful NFL player - and - how to help your team achieve a winning mindset.

Personally - I hope that he DOES join our coaching staff.  There is SO MUCH that a future HOF WR can teach our young WR group.

I'd also love to see Robert Mathis return to our sidelines.  

Building a "winning culture" is imperative to putting that product on the field.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Mentorship is also different than full time coaching. I know TY likes the idea, I don't blame anyone for liking the idea. I'm just concerned that it's not the best move for the staff.

Not really impressed with the current staff. 

We are evaluating and interviewing WR and Reggie is still not on board. I think this is all a smoke screen. Reich and Ballard are tied up in knots on hiring coaching staff because Carson Wentz is consuming all their energy.  IMO Reich does not project as a confident coach at this time.. 

2 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

We are evaluating and interviewing WR and Reggie is still not on board. I think this is all a smoke screen. Reich and Ballard are tied up in knots on hiring coaching staff because Carson Wentz is consuming all their energy.  IMO Reich does not project as a confident coach at this time.. 

Reggie is at the combine. It will get done when the combine is over.

6 hours ago, AustexColt said:

If you listen to Reich on Kevin & Query yesterday Reich spoke about Reggie as if he was on the staff and it was a done deal.  It’s not a coincidence that Reggie was at the WR workouts yesterday. 

21 hours ago, AustexColt said:

Goodness gracious….  

This is not going to age well….       :facepalm:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Superman changed the title to Update: Colts have hired Reggie Wayne as WR coach

I like the hire!  I see the resume comments and wonder, is a guy that might have played division 1 or likely below, that has done college, and assistant to the assistant roles in the NFL, better equipped to translate knowledge than an accomplished 14 yr. future HOF pro? Experience matters, Real experience is invaluable, adjusting to the rigors of coaching will be a surmountable challenge for Reggie, but those sit downs, film studies, and one on one conversations about the stuff other coaches might never had gone through personally, will work out for the better.

On 2/25/2022 at 1:33 PM, Shive said:

Absolutely agree.

100%

Exactly. He would be the most inexperienced as far as coaching resume, but he's absolutely someone that I believe can do the job well. He was well regarded for being essentially an extra coach towards the end of his career and TY credits Reggie with him becoming the WR he was. The on-paper resume may be thin, but the experience, knowledge, and respect is all there.

Some earlier comments about the WR coach position made me think Reggie would be a major consideration. I was excited then and I'll be excited if he gets the position.

Yet again, agreed.

Nailed it. Also, this isnt a sinking ship deal, they've been trying to get Reggie to this job for years.

Intreview with Reggie Wayne. So good. Says how they work and play is a representation of how he is as a coach. So they better work. Mentioned Pittman and Campbell. Maybe there is something Reggie can do for Campbell as far as taking hits that can reduce injuries. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/colts-official-podcast/id1177715432?i=1000554088226

On 2/25/2022 at 3:01 PM, Indyfan4life said:

I feel like Reggie could suit up now and outplay most of our receivers, so I’ve got plenty of confidence in him to teach them these guys how to actually get open and not just have to fight for every ball. 

our WR receiver coaches have not been able to teach our receivers to get open and run their routes ... look what Reggie did for TY... He was one of the best Colts receivers,,, always getting open and running great routes... I also think if we do not get any WR or big name receivers FA I believe it will because Reggie sees something in ours and knows he can draw it out and teach them how to become better receivers

IMO

Archived