Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz out in Indy? (Mega Merge)

Scott Pennock

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it’s very unlikely he gets traded or cut this year. 

It’s too much of a cap hit to cut him and we don’t even have a viable option on the roster to play in his place. 

After his performance this year we won’t get anywhere near the draftpicks back we gave up for him. 

Give him one more year. Either he stinks it up and we get a high draftpick in ‘23 or he figures it out and we’re rolling. 

CARSON WENTZQB, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Carson Wentz will "'probably" be traded or released before the start of the new league year.

The new league year is when Wentz's $15 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed. Wentz's future in Indy looks "bleak," according to Mortensen, which doesn't come as a surprise given how the Colts' season ended and the lack of support Wentz has received this offseason. Wentz is unlikely to draw interest on the trade market and the Colts will be taking a $13.3 million dead money hit if they release him in March.

Feb 13, 2022, 1:13 PM ET

• Indeee changed the title to Report... C Mortenson.. Wentz out in Indy?
7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is crazy to me. But trust in CB I guess. 

It makes no sense.  I’m not the biggest CW fan in the world, but the range of plausible alternatives seems awfully narrow.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

To outright release him wouldn’t be in the best interest of the Colts imo. Gotta try and oversell him to get the maximum value for him in a trade. 

I’m sure other GMs will be very unsuspecting.

It is easy to say we should get rid of Wentz.  But unless the idea is to somehow land Rodgers, who are we going to get who is much better?  No rookie would be.  Bridgewater?  Mariota?   I think if we get another Jacoby Brissett level QB, the team will actually go backwards.  And please don't tell me anyone is better than Wentz because that is simply not true.  Brissett wasn't better than Wentz.  Unless miracle comes through and Luck comes back or we land Rodgers, I don't see this ending well if they get rid of Wentz.

Reports are that GB is still all in on Rodgers and are wanting to keep him. Multiple other teams are going after Wilson with a lot more assets then we have. 

If this ends up with the Colts getting Jimmy G after trading more draft picks and most likely having a similar year that we had with Wentz.... :wall:

Tried to people, that locker room does not support wentz.  He was getting trashed by the media and not ONE player defended him.  I’m all with going into the season with Sam E.  Grabbing some FAs, resigning our guys and preparing for the upcoming draft and grabbing a QB

TY Hilton liking that meme on Twitter of Andrew luck was very telling

When did this moment happen?    When did the appearance of a RUMOR on Rotoworld  make something LEGIT?  

A reminder,  the Colts don’t leak.   Does anyone think we call teams and tell them we’re cutting Wentz if we can’t get a trade done?    Feels like there’s a gap in logic here….

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

When did this moment happen?    When did the appearance of a RUMOR on Rotoworld  make something LEGIT?  

A reminder,  the Colts don’t leak.   Does anyone think we call teams and tell them we’re cutting Wentz if we can’t get a trade done?    Feels like there’s a gap in logic here….

It's a report by Chris Mortensen on ESPN. He's probably the most plugged in reporter from anybody with the Colts. He's personal friends with a lot of the higher ups, starting with Irsay. He qualified it with "probably" but also said Wentz' future with the Colts is "bleak"

Just now, stitches said:

It's a report by Chris Mortensen on ESPN. He's probably the most plugged in reporter from anybody with the Colts. He's personal friends with a lot of the higher ups, starting with Irsay. 

Maybe Mortensen is slipping like his buddy Schefter. :thmup:

53 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

This seems pretty ominous.....

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10026933-carson-wentz-rumors-qbs-future-with-colts-looks-bleak-likely-to-be-traded-or-cut

What this also means is draft stock will likely be used for one of the top QB's in the draft.

Surprising since the whole devil you know concept....

I think it’s way WAY too early to know if this is even true,  or what the implications are for the draft.     Way too soon.    All it is is a rumor.   That’s it. 

If we got rid without giving him a second chance, it might have to do with locker room stuff.

At this point, I actually don't really care if we give him one more year or move on. Both are bad options short term, because for one, if he stays, I have zero confidence he'll be good. But then if he goes, there's a lack of QB alternatives for next season. Unless we have a master plan. In which case, fire Wentz out of cannon.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry. This is legit as now PFT is reporting it. Roto and PFT never just leak rumors like this. There is smoke here

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's a report by Chris Mortensen on ESPN. He's probably the most plugged in reporter from anybody with the Colts. He's personal friends with a lot of the higher ups, starting with Irsay. He qualified it with "probably" but also said Wentz' future with the Colts is "bleak"

I know who Chris Mortenson is.   

He didn’t say he had a source.   He said there’s a feeling in the league.   That’s different.   Mort has talked to teams.   Some probably says we called to gage interest.   Maybe there was none.   I’m sure CB has done that.   But it’s a leap to say we’re cutting him if we can’t trade him.   We might, but no one knows.   we wouldn’t tell a team we’re trying to trade a player to that we’re cutting the guy uf we can’t do a deal. 

So it’s a rumor.   That’s all it is.    It’s the silly crazy season where rumors are everywhere and will be all spring and summer. 

2 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

If we got rid without giving him a second chance, it might have to do with locker room stuff.

At this point, I actually don't really care if we give him one more year or move on. Both are bad options short term, because for one, if he stays, I have zero confidence he'll be good, and if he goes, there's a lack of QB alternatives for next season. Unless we have a master plan. In which case, fire Wentz out of cannon.

I lol'd at this because that's where I am.

Friend: Colts are getting AR/RW man. I feel bad for Wentz, don't you?

Me: Who??

Just now, tvturner said:

Hallelujah

Fantastic news

Then who? You want Jimmy G who can’t stay healthy or throw past 20 yards.

Colts have wasted so much money and draft picks on quarterbacks it’s ridiculous. Paid havinf 29 million to be a backup. Gave up a 1st and 3rd to for Carson. And now we are supposed to believe it’s good to give up more draft picks and eat money on Wentz for another QB. How are we supposed to fix holes on this team?

4 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Sorry. This is legit as now PFT is reporting it. Roto and PFT never just leak rumors like this. There is smoke here

Those outlets are reporting it NOT because they know ANYTHING!   They’re now free to report it because ESPN has reported it.   But it’s still a rumor.   

There’s smoke here because it’s the off-season, and that’s when the most smoke happens.    

Im not saying this can’t happen.   I’m saying this report is proof of nothing.   It’s just a rumor.    

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Exactly, the Colts are pretty tight lipped.

Archived