Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Corrrente Referee Crew

carmelcolt

The actions that resulted in the taunting penalty occurred 5 seconds before the flag was actually thrown. On top of waiting to throw the flag, Corrente put his hand on his flag as Marsh was running past him, then clearly initiated contact, and only then did he remove the flag and toss it in the air. 

Other than instances where there is a ref group discussion, like sometimes we see with Intentional Grounding, flags are thrown when the penalty occurs, not later to show up the player. 

Corrente should be disciplined for:

1. Initiating contact with a player (if a player did this there would be consequences)

2. Showing up a player (again, if a player showed up an official like this, they would be disciplined)

I guess "integrity of the game" doesn't apply to officials. 

The flag didn’t surprise me at all.. the dude made a play then sprinted toward the other teams sideline and had a stare .. probably didn’t deserve a flag but with all the stupid taunting calls this year it wasn’t surprising. 

Regarding the hip check, he was already reaching for the flag.. he was calling the penalty regardless

How can a multi-billion dollar business have part time employees influencing their games?  

They should have full time officials, who in the off season review, practice, and get graded.  

I’m not a conspiracy guy, but there are plenty examples of refs making questionable calls that tip the score on one side of a line or the other.  

We all know they can call a penalty on every play.  It’s just a matter of when they choose to do it.  (Again, just observation.  I’m not saying games are fixed)

I fully believe the NFL is actively trying to prevent any repeats of Monday night. They need to with gambling involved. If it gets too loud and the whole "fix is in" narrative reaches a certain peak, A third party will be introduced to keep "tabs" so to say just like what happened in the NBA. Where it turns out the fix actually was in lol.

I don't believe thats the case with NFL. Would be very difficult. If it gets loud enough though, that third party will be created and the NFL does not by any means want that,

26 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Unwarranted Penalty on a former Colt in Cassius Marsh to help a club fighting for a wildcard vs Colts in Pitt THEN the same ref gets assigned the Colts game the following week ?   No thats not suspicious at all ....

That game was really bad from an officiating standpoint. However, I don't see what's in it for them having JAC beat IND.

CHI losing to PIT kept PIT in the race for the AFCN, as well as inevitable WC race madness (there will be lots of game with big implications in the AFCN).

But while a win against IND would make JAC slightly more relevant, it would put the Colts into a huge hole, which would likely mean one less team for the inevitable WC race madness at the end of the season (Colts have some big games as well).

JAC beating BUF made the AFCE a race and set up two very meaningful NE/BUF matchups in the coming weeks. But there is nothing to gain from them winning again. Colts beat them down.

25 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I fully believe the NFL is actively trying to prevent any repeats of Monday night. They need to with gambling involved. If it gets too loud and the whole "fix is in" narrative reaches a certain peak, A third party will be introduced to keep "tabs" so to say just like what happened in the NBA. Where it turns out the fix actually was in lol.

I don't believe thats the case with NFL. Would be very difficult. If it gets loud enough though, that third party will be created and the NFL does not by any means want that,

Are you saying it would be too hard to get a ref to influence a game?  If so, I disagree.  It would be very simple.

Say a ref is coerced into influencing a game, for any number of reasons.  They don’t need him to be overt about it.  They’d just want him to make sure the game stays on one side of a betting line or the other.  

He doesn’t even have to do anything outrageous.  Just a holding call that slows a drive (it happens on every play).  Or a PI to extend a drive.   A multitude of other ways too.   Very simple.  

Remember, he wouldn’t have to change the outcome, just ensure the point spread.  

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Are you saying it would be too hard to get a ref to influence a game?  If so, I disagree.  It would be very simple.

Say a ref is coerced into influencing a game, for any number of reasons.  They don’t need him to be overt about it.  They’d just want him to make sure the game stays on one side of a betting line or the other.  

He doesn’t even have to do anything outrageous.  Just a holding call that slows a drive (it happens on every play).  Or a PI to extend a drive.   A multitude of other ways too.   Very simple.  

Too many people would have to keep their mouth shut. It would get out. IMO. I agree there has been a lot of very suspicious games in the last 20 or so years. I just think someone would blab. There is a lot of people who fully believe the fix is and has been in though.

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

Unwarranted Penalty on a former Colt in Cassius Marsh to help a club fighting for a wildcard vs Colts in Pitt THEN the same ref gets assigned the Colts game the following week ?   No thats not suspicious at all ....

Deat God…

1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

any given outcome will look like a conspiracy to somebody 

Need to separate "the fix is in" vs "influencing" a game.

Fix - I interpret this as a close to 100% determined outcome. It would be very difficult as it would involve multiple people, and at some point, it would get out. 

Influencing - I interpret this as one person making one or two key calls (a ref), or one or two bad plays (a player), that could affect the outcome to perhaps 70% one way. 

In the gambling world, a 70% outcome is quite an advantage, and if it's one person involved it may never get out. 

Not saying this is what's going on here, just that anything is possible and nothing would surprise me. 

Having said all this, I think this instance was a case of the official on a power trip, with an "I'll show you" attitude.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yep. Spot foul DPIs are a pretty easy way to influence scoring, but I think the one that really goes under the radar is offensive holding.

They can use it wipe out huge plays, put offenses in big early-down holes and even dictate playcalling.

BUT...they can also not call it and allow QBs to have more time and teams to dominate the LOS and run the ball easily.

I noticed last year that there seemed to be a concerted effort to not call holding. It's back up a bit this year.

But that PIT game was about as egregious as it gets. 

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yep, Darius, he might get in your way and a gentle tap on the shoulder to avoid him might evoke a flag.

I’m shocked he hasn’t even been investigated.

I’m sure the league has done internal investigations because that was absolutely egregious. That should warrant a firing

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Welcome to the site, obviously you didn’t watch the Bears Steelers game 

I did, that doesn’t mean the whole league is fixed or there is some conspiracy against the Colts because the flag was on marsh who used to play for the Colts and helped a team the Colts are fighting with for a playoff spot and now the same official is working the Colts game like has been floated out here in this thread.  

I can’t explain the hip check and agree that was out of line.  As for the flag itself not one I want to see called but I can see why he called it given the emphasis this year, the dude took steps towards the Steelers bench and starred them down.  Again, I think the flag was over the top but I can see why he threw the flag given  what the league has said is a point of emphasis this year.  Still the fact he took so long to throw and hip checked him was uncalled for.  Overall, the fact that the league didn’t issue any kind of discipline, normally we won’t let these guys work the Super Bowl, tells you the league feels he made the correct calls and was satisfied with whatever explanation he gave them for the other stuff.  I get that fans might not agree with that.  

Overall though Corrente has been a good official in the NFL for a long time.  I think he simply had a bad night Monday.  Happens to players and coaches and officials aren’t immune to it.  

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I did, that doesn’t mean the whole league is fixed or there is some conspiracy against the Colts because the flag was on marsh who used to play for the Colts and helped a team the Colts are fighting with for a playoff spot and now the same official is working the Colts game like has been floated out here in this thread.  

I can’t explain the hip check and agree that was out of line.  As for the flag itself not one I want to see called but I can see why he called it given the emphasis this year, the dude took steps towards the Steelers bench and starred them down.  Again, I think the flag was over the top but I can see why he threw the flag given  what the league has said is a point of emphasis this year.  Still the fact he took so long to throw and hip checked him was uncalled for.  Overall, the fact that the league didn’t issue any kind of discipline, normally we won’t let these guys work the Super Bowl, tells you the league feels he made the correct calls and was satisfied with whatever explanation he gave them for the other stuff.  I get that fans might not agree with that.  

Overall thought Corrente has been a good official in the NFL for a long time.  I think he simply had a bad night Monday.  Happens to players and coaches and officials aren’t immune to it.  

With me it is not just about Monday night (which was ridiculously comical), I have been watching this stuff go on with the Refs for decades. Where certain teams have always got huge favorable calls - Pats, Steelers, Packers (any team that has a star QB like top 5 in any given year) are huge examples. We got a few favorable calls when we had Peyton to keep it fair but never got the benefit of the Refs when we played the Pats. Pats for years were holding our WR's and nothing called. Also see SB 40 when the Seahawks got ripped off, of course their opponent was the Steelers. It just gets old after a while. Is the NFL fixed - NO but do Refs alter games with bogus calls and letting teams get away with more - YES. It is obvious.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With me it is not just about Monday night (which was ridiculously comical), I have been watching this stuff go on with the Refs for decades. Where certain teams have always got huge favorable calls - Pats, Steelers, Packers (any team that has a star QB like top 5 in any given year) are huge examples. We got a few favorable calls when we had Peyton to keep it fair but never got the benefit of the Refs when we played the Pats. Pats for years were holding our WR's and nothing called. Also see SB 40 when the Seahawks got ripped off, of course their opponent was the Steelers. It just gets old after a while. Is the NFL fixed - NO but do Refs alter games with bogus calls and letting teams get away with more - YES. It is obvious.

I do agree bigger stars and bigger name teams get calls.  That’s the case in all sports though.  Watch Lebron play basketball sometime if people don’t believe me.  

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I do agree bigger stars and bigger name teams get calls.  That’s the case in all sports though.  Watch Lebron play basketball sometime if people don’t believe me.  

You can’t have watched the NBA if you don’t see that.  Not only that but the rules change as the game goes on.  By that I mean they call the games differently at the end.  

But to me, the NBA is a joke anyway.  The basketball you see in the playoffs isn’t the same as you see in the regular season.  

On 11/11/2021 at 7:30 PM, GoColts8818 said:

There is some real Tin foil hats stuff in this thread.

I don't think anyone is saying the games are all fixed.  But you have to admit, it would be very easy for a ref to influence or tip a point spread.

Not by doing anything outrageous, just by making or not making a call like they do in every game.  Only do it at the opportune time.

Tell me you've never watched a game where a drive was stalled by a holding call (that looks the same on every play).  Or extended by a PI (that happens on just about every catch)?

it's like the police. most are good, upstanding brave people.

however, there are definitely a few who are just as bad as they come. 

I think most refs are good, but there have definitely been quite a few questionable moments in officiating. the blanket excuse is the obscurity of the rule set. I beg to differ. 

Archived