Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rodgers wants out

GoColts8818

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of you would trade Wentz, #21, and a 2023 2nd for Rodgers?

The compensation will be fascinating with Rodgers’ determination to sit out rather than return.

(Not going to happen, I know, but a man can dream?)

6 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

How many of you would trade Wentz, #21, and a 2023 2nd for Rodgers?

The compensation will be fascinating with Rodgers’ determination to sit out rather than return.

(Not going to happen, I know, but a man can dream?)

But if it did happen, what would the Eagles get in 2022 involving the conditional pick? Would it default to a first rounder from Colts or would the Packers assume the trade conditions? 

The Packers can have Carson Wentz and the 21st..

Rodgers is the guy we should want, too bad things worked out the way they have. That's "win the SB" kind of move. Ballard signed up for a lot less than that with Wentz, though I'm not totally out on him.

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The Packers can have Carson Wentz and the 21st..

Rodgers is the guy we should want, too bad things worked out the way they have. That's "win the SB" kind of move. Ballard signed up for a lot less than that with Wentz, though I'm not totally out on him.

The rumor this morning was that SF has offered GB the 3rd plus Jimmy G, plus pretty much their whole draft for Rodgers. Colts cant match that.

But if I'd definitely go Rodgers over Wentz. However it isn't as clearcut a decision. ARod may be golden for another 2 or 3 years. If Wentz gets better, he could potentially be a solution for close to a decade.

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I like Rodgers but what kind of message does it send if they trade Wentz again after just acquiring him. 

The optics wouldn't be great. However if you get the chance to sign a sure fire HoF, from a sporting perspective strictly, you have to do it. 

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

The optics wouldn't be great. However if you get the chance to sign a sure fire HoF, from a sporting perspective strictly, you have to do it. 

I would rather take the upside of Wentz and familiarity with Reich at this point

If Reich helps Wentz return to form Colts are set for 10+ years

9 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I would rather take the upside of Wentz and familiarity with Reich at this point

If Reich helps Wentz return to form Colts are set for 10+ years

That's a fair feeling, i agree.

Honestly, the Colts wouldn't be able to afford ARod anyway. If the Packers, by some madness decide to let him get his way, the cost would be prohibitive.

From a sporting perspective, Rod > Wentz. I'd argue that even Wentz's best season doesn't hold a candle to an average Rodgers season.

14 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

It's not just the optics. Our team is HUGE on locker room and organizational culture. It would fly in the face of everything they've been preaching to do that. 

Just now, Colt.45 said:

That's a fair feeling, i agree.

Honestly, the Colts wouldn't be able to afford ARod anyway. If the Packers, by some madness decide to let him get his way, the cost would be prohibitive.

From a sporting perspective, Rod > Wentz. I'd argue that even Wentz's best season doesn't hold a candle to an average Rodgers season.

Colts will be among the league leaders in cap space next year.  I know they won't do it but i wouldnt let other contracts come before this

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

It's not just the optics. Our team is HUGE on locker room and organizational culture. It would fly in the face of everything they've been preaching to do that. 

You speak truth......BUT it's Aaron Rodgers. It'd never happen of course, Frank Reich would probably quit if this happened to Carson. IF there ever was a player to bend culture for, it's gotta be ARod right?

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Colts will be among the league leaders in cap space next year.  I know they won't do it but i wouldnt let other contracts come before this

It's not just contracts. The rumor this morning about what SF offered is just something the Colts can't match. 3rd pick in the draft plus Jimmy G.

Same reason I think the smart move this offseason was going with Wentz. At 21, you just cannot out leverage teams with those top 5-10 picks.

28 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

from a sporting perspective strictly, you have to do it. 

GM's who make decisions purely on a sporting perspective.......are short sighted in the extreme. 

Locker room

Contracts

Longevity

Fit

Scheme

Ect....................

31 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I like Rodgers but what kind of message does it send if they trade Wentz again after just acquiring him. 

That you are trying to get better.  I don’t think it’s likely but I have a feeling the lockerroom would be fine if you turned Wentz into Rodgers.  

You know I am not sure of his value at the moment given the allegations against him but Rodgers for Watson would be interesting.

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

It's not just contracts. The rumor this morning about what SF offered is just something the Colts can't match. 3rd pick in the draft plus Jimmy G.

Same reason I think the smart move this offseason was going with Wentz. At 21, you just cannot out leverage teams with those top 5-10 picks.

Oh I agree with you here, they probably could not get it done now if they wanted too

This will sound revisionist, but I was hoping they would pursue Aaron and Tom last year.  Really wanted them to swing for the fences when we had more resources.  

7 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Look at Stafford brought.  I have a feeling the price tag would be higher for Rogers so I agree with you.  

With that said unless the Packers have something quietly cooking time is not on the Packers side here.

Just now, RollerColt said:

Couldn’t he pull a Carson Palmer and just retire, then un-retire with a new team?

Palmer got traded after he “retired”.  If you retire you go on a reserve list it’s why the Colts still own Luck’s rights. This scenario is exactly why that rule exists or else players could become free agents anytime they wanted.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Palmer got traded after he “retired”.  If you retire you go on a reserve list it’s why the Colts still own Luck’s rights. This scenario is exactly why that rule exists or else players could become free agents anytime they wanted.

Thanks, it’s going to be interesting how this plays out. It’s got to be frustrating for both camps.

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Thanks, it’s going to be interesting how this plays out. It’s got to be frustrating for both camps.

Yeah, if want wingo reported is correct the Packers really messed up.  You don’t promise an already upset player something then don’t do it.  Nothing else will tell make them tell you to kiss off faster.  Also had they moved him earlier this off-season they could have gotten a kings ransom that made what the Lions got for Stafford look like chicken feed.  Now they have backed themselves into a bad corner.  

This is similar to what the Texans did with Watson.  So in theory the Packers can just say we aren’t trading you.  The difference is that I think Rogers could just walk away and retire unlike Watson.  He already has his Super Bowl and more money than he will ever need.  Watson isn’t there yet.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

There will always be that crowd personally I don’t think either is a diva.

I'm sure some will say it.  I've been reading on Facebook and reddit and so far there a lot less of the " he needs to honor his contract" posts like DW got

Archived