Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rodgers wants out

GoColts8818

22 hours ago, DougDew said:

The fans are turning because he has no real basis for his complaint.  

AR runs in the celebrity/elite circles and the average GB fan does not.  AR appears to be whipping out the trendy culture issue excuse.  Just label your beef as an undefined culture issue and you can make Authority look like the bad guy without even having any facts to back it up, according to the social circles he's currently running with. LOL.  Normal people don't run in those circles and make opinions based upon actual facts.

I could not agree more with you.  It is telling that no one can really articulate what Rodgers exact gripe it because he is intentionally being vague and blaming culture as you say. It is a really bad look for a great QB.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, FortheWin said:

I could not agree more with you.  It is telling that no one can really articulate what Rodgers exact gripe it because he is intentionally being vague and blaming culture as you say. It is a really bad look for a great QB.

I'm glad you pointed to the most recent comments made in public, but again, all these comments from his visit with Mayne are being extrapolated, put into a context that may or may not even be there and perpetuated on social media as facts. The only thing we know for sure concerning how Rodgers feels about a specific situation, is not getting the ball on 4th down in a goal line situation in the 4th quarter of the NFC Championship game. We even take that and turn it into, well he doesn't like how the team is run instead of acknowledging that as a competitor with a chance to go to the Super Bowl on the line, as the leader of that team, Rodgers wanted the ball in his hands because he thought he could help them win that game like they pay him to do. A field goal did nothing for them at that point at all. The call didn't make sense to anybody. But, we don't talk about the media criticism of the play call, we point to Rodgers comments about it. If he punted and said nothing about the play call these same people would be bashing him and calling for him to retire because he's lost his drive and oh his hosting Jeopardy would have made that narrative even worse.

Now... the media... the media is speculating on the reason behind him skipping out on OTAs as being related to his alleged conflict with the front office. He's the MVP. He knows he only has so much time left. He's 37 years old. He doesn't need OTAs. Sure, if he suits up the young guys could benefit from his presence a bit but not as much as some seem to think. Anyone naive enough to think that he and his price tag are the future of the Packers franchise, or any franchise for that matter, is drinking bong water. He probably did them a favor by letting Love get reps. But we don't talk about that. We as fans and as consumers of a media product are more willing to die on a hill pursuing the narrative that there is a toxic climate in the building, especially since we, collectively, are being starved for content right now.

We have to have something to talk about and there has to be a bad guy. But, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

22 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

I'm glad you pointed to the most recent comments made in public, but again, all these comments from his visit with Mayne are being extrapolated, put into a context that may or may not even be there and perpetuated on social media as facts. The only thing we know for sure concerning how Rodgers feels about a specific situation, is not getting the ball on 4th down in a goal line situation in the 4th quarter of the NFC Championship game. We even take that and turn it into, well he doesn't like how the team is run instead of acknowledging that as a competitor with a chance to go to the Super Bowl on the line, as the leader of that team, Rodgers wanted the ball in his hands because he thought he could help them win that game like they pay him to do. A field goal did nothing for them at that point at all. The call didn't make sense to anybody. But, we don't talk about the media criticism of the play call, we point to Rodgers comments about it. If he punted and said nothing about the play call these same people would be bashing him and calling for him to retire because he's lost his drive and oh his hosting Jeopardy would have made that narrative even worse.

Now... the media... the media is speculating on the reason behind him skipping out on OTAs as being related to his alleged conflict with the front office. He's the MVP. He knows he only has so much time left. He's 37 years old. He doesn't need OTAs. Sure, if he suits up the young guys could benefit from his presence a bit but not as much as some seem to think. Anyone naive enough to think that he and his price tag are the future of the Packers franchise, or any franchise for that matter, is drinking bong water. He probably did them a favor by letting Love get reps. But we don't talk about that. We as fans and as consumers of a media product are more willing to die on a hill pursuing the narrative that there is a toxic climate in the building, especially since we, collectively, are being starved for content right now.

We have to have something to talk about and there has to be a bad guy. But, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

It just strikes me as a classic case of someone who thinks he is the smartest person in the room, so he should be making the important decisions.  He's an elite QB on the field, but now he and certain supporters seem think he's an expert on culture, coaching, player selection, etc.  just because he has a high QBR.

Retire and become a HC.  That's where you make coaching decisions.  Be a good HC and get picked to be GM.  That's when you get to make personnel decisions. 

The only culture that's bad here is the culture that says that because somebody excels at one thing, he must know what he's talking about with anything else that comes into his universe.

54 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It just strikes me as a classic case of someone who thinks he is the smartest person in the room, so he should be making the important decisions.  He's an elite QB on the field, but now he and certain supporters seem think he's an expert on culture, coaching, player selection, etc.  just because he has a high QBR.

Retire and become a HC.  That's where you make coaching decisions.  Be a good HC and get picked to be GM.  That's when you get to make personnel decisions. 

The only culture that's bad here is the culture that says that because somebody excels at one thing, he must know what he's talking about with anything else that comes into his universe.

I do agree with your sentiment. However I still have an issue with why you feel the need to make your comments specific to this situation. The only comment we can hang our hats on is that he wanted the ball on the goal line in one of the biggest games of the year. I don't see how anyone in any universe founded on reality could say that a field goal in that situation was better than an attempt on 4th down and a 2 pt attempt. Odds were high that they still lose that game but they gave themselves even less of a chance with that decision because they still would have had to get the ball back and try to pound it in again.

None of these other comments about him wanting a say in the front office are based on any kind of fact or statement that he has made. It's all hearsay and conjecture ad ridiculum because of something that happened in Seattle. If you can prove me wrong I will apologize. I honestly think there is a lot of jealousy at play here, not on your part per se, but in general because he is smart capable, wealthy and popular. The media does not want him to retire. He sells. Now they are selling not him, but their opinion of him in a very backhanded and, in my opinion, unscrupulous way. 

1 hour ago, JoeThornburg said:

I do agree with your sentiment. However I still have an issue with why you feel the need to make your comments specific to this situation. The only comment we can hang our hats on is that he wanted the ball on the goal line in one of the biggest games of the year. I don't see how anyone in any universe founded on reality could say that a field goal in that situation was better than an attempt on 4th down and a 2 pt attempt. Odds were high that they still lose that game but they gave themselves even less of a chance with that decision because they still would have had to get the ball back and try to pound it in again.

None of these other comments about him wanting a say in the front office are based on any kind of fact or statement that he has made. It's all hearsay and conjecture ad ridiculum because of something that happened in Seattle. If you can prove me wrong I will apologize. I honestly think there is a lot of jealousy at play here, not on your part per se, but in general because he is smart capable, wealthy and popular. The media does not want him to retire. He sells. Now they are selling not him, but their opinion of him in a very backhanded and, in my opinion, unscrupulous way. 

I haven't followed every detail.  I'm learning that there aren't that many details to the stories, which makes it odd as to ARs position in the first place.

I mentioned HC and GM decisions based upon what I heard.  He wanted McCarthy gone since he didn't think he was good enough, and the GM cutting his training camp buddy, the journeyman WR.  

I don't know the situations you're describing.

I tend to side with management when players go beyond their swim lanes in trying to sway management to make certain team decisions, even using their celebrity status as a bully pulpit of sorts.  Unlike how Stafford and Wentz handled it.  Both wanted out, but there were neither no public comments that disrespected the Org nor were their any "leaks" from their "camps" about disgruntlement.  AFAIK. 

Everybody knew Stafford wanted out because DET never got him enough help, but he always seemed respectful to the org in public despite what his inner thoughts might have been.

When it comes to players holding out after performing at a pro bowl level for a couple of years, but getting underpaid because of a 4 year contract they signed under a mandatory rookie deal, I tend to side with the player.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I haven't followed every detail.  I'm learning that there aren't that many details to the stories, which makes it odd as to ARs position in the first place.

I mentioned HC and GM decisions based upon what I heard.  He wanted McCarthy gone since he didn't think he was good enough, and the GM cutting his training camp buddy, the journeyman WR.  

I don't know the situations you're describing.

I tend to side with management when players go beyond their swim lanes in trying to sway management to make certain team decisions, even using their celebrity status as a bully pulpit of sorts.  Unlike how Stafford and Wentz handled it.  Both wanted out, but there were neither no public comments that disrespected the Org nor were their any "leaks" from their "camps" about disgruntlement.  AFAIK. 

Everybody knew Stafford wanted out because DET never got him enough help, but he always seemed respectful to the org in public despite what his inner thoughts might have been.

When it comes to players holding out after performing at a pro bowl level for a couple of years, but getting underpaid because of a 4 year contract they signed under a mandatory rookie deal, I tend to side with the player.

Kudos to that. Stay in your lane bro is a common thread which I do agree with. On the other side of that coin is a player who might be used up who HAS made other people a lot of money. That nobody is going to care about when they stop making them money, unless we are talking about fans. It's a brutal cut-throat business and I can sympathize with both sides of this discussion. Thanks again. 

Rodgers holds all the cards in reality, without Rodgers that would've been like the Colts without Peyton. They will flat out stink and Rodgers knows it and their FO knows it but will never admit it. GB could play hard ball and say we aren't going trade you, IMO he probably doesn't care and will just sit out. He already has enough money to last a lifetime, has won a SB and 3 League MVP's. He really doesn't even have nothing to prove playing wise either.  

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rodgers holds all the cards in reality, without Rodgers that would've been like the Colts without Peyton. They will flat out stink and Rodgers knows it and their FO knows it but will never admit it. GB could play hard ball and say we aren't going trade you, IMO he probably doesn't care and will just sit out. He already has enough money to last a lifetime, has won a SB and 3 League MVP's. He really doesn't even have nothing to prove playing wise either.  

Rodgers has zero power. He is under contract for 3 years. The Packers can just have him sit and he will lose his $30 mil and have to pay back his signing bonus on top.  GB also already drafted his replacement in Love so they can look at this season as a chance to get Love going. It's not like they were winning SBs with Rodgers. The last time they were in one was over a decade ago.

14 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

What? Rodgers never mentioned the 4th down call in his most recent interview. He did say that he has issues with the GB culture and specifically did not mention Gute as someone he respects. His issues are with the GM. Period. 

In terms of the OTAs, he has never missed them in the past. He told the GB FO that he is not coming back. It has nothing to do with him preserving his body. He is literally holding out and is not expected to report to mandatory mini camp next week.

BTW, if there is a vagueness or speculation in the narrative by the media or folks on this forum, it is because Rodgers has himself been intentionally cryptic which is his style. He is the definition of passive aggressive.

1 hour ago, FortheWin said:

Rodgers has zero power. He is under contract for 3 years. The Packers can just have him sit and he will lose his $30 mil and have to pay back his signing bonus on top.  GB also already drafted his replacement in Love so they can look at this season as a chance to get Love going. It's not like they were winning SBs with Rodgers. The last time they were in one was over a decade ago.

Or he could just retire.  If GB really still wants him around that is a lot of power.  Money or no - he has power here.  And I would imagine he has plenty of money regardless of what he still has yet to earn.  If he is really that unhappy he could easily retire.

What? Rodgers never mentioned the 4th down call in his most recent interview. He did say that he has issues with the GB culture and specifically did not mention Gute as someone he respects. His issues are with the GM. Period. 

In terms of the OTAs, he has never missed them in the past. He told the GB FO that he is not coming back. It has nothing to do with him preserving his body. He is literally holding out and is not expected to report to mandatory mini camp next week.

BTW, if there is a vagueness or speculation in the narrative by the media or folks on this forum, it is because Rodgers has himself been intentionally cryptic which is his style. He is the definition of passive aggressive.

Do we know he has been cryptic within the organization or just with media/fans.  I will be honest in that I just haven't followed this and don't know all of the facts.  I am just wondering if within the Packers FO they know exactly where he stands and he is just not being specific with all of us.

I just think there is too much speculation being passed around as fact as I am reading this thread.  We don't have all of the facts.

That doesn't mean I am saying either side is handling this well.  But management can be just as passive aggressive as anyone else.

2 hours ago, FortheWin said:

Rodgers has zero power. He is under contract for 3 years

He can sit out, I think they have to take that seriously when he says it.  In my opinion there is little to no chance he actually plays three more years in GB.

I get why the texans and packers dont want to bend, but they would both be better on the field if they made a trade rather than just watch their best player sit out with no suitable replacement. 

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

Or he could just retire.  If GB really still wants him around that is a lot of power.  Money or no - he has power here.  And I would imagine he has plenty of money regardless of what he still has yet to earn.  If he is really that unhappy he could easily retire.

Him retiring does not hurt the Packers. They have his replacement in Love. The game moves on from everyone.

57 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He can sit out, I think they have to take that seriously when he says it.  In my opinion there is little to no chance he actually plays three more years in GB.

I get why the texans and packers dont want to bend, but they would both be better on the field if they made a trade rather than just watch their best player sit out with no suitable replacement. 

Any trade now is pointless as the picks won't be until next year. Better to wait them out and then make the decision in the off-season. 

17 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Him retiring does not hurt the Packers. They have his replacement in Love. The game moves on from everyone.

Rodgers is much better than Love would be.    It would certainly hurt the Packers.   

I pretty much back the team in this, but it is glaring that the team never used a 1st round pick on an offensive weapon while Rodgers was there.     Love doesn't count.  Their last 4 1st round draft picks used on offense:

2020 - QB Love

2011 - OT Sherrod

2010 - OT Bulaga

2005 - QB Rodgers

Any trade now is pointless as the picks won't be until next year. Better to wait them out and then make the decision in the off-season. 

they have known about this for a while, since last year even.  I think the team blew it, they could have gotten a lot but now he may just retire 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Rodgers is much better than Love would be.    It would certainly hurt the Packers.   

I pretty much back the team in this, but it is glaring that the team never used a 1st round pick on an offensive weapon while Rodgers was there.     Love doesn't count.  Their last 4 1st round draft picks used on offense:

2020 - QB Love

2011 - OT Sherrod

2010 - OT Bulaga

2005 - QB Rodgers

But they got great receivers in later rounds - Nelson, Cobb, Jennings, Adams, etc.  Just because they did not spend a first round pick, does not mean they did not get great receivers for Rodgers to throw to.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

2020 - QB Love

2011 - OT Sherrod

2010 - OT Bulaga

2005 - QB Rodgers

I can't think of an offensive weapon the Patriots drafted in the first round for Brady

2 hours ago, FortheWin said:

Your opinion.  I disagree.  Love <> AR at this point.  And a good possibility he never will.

But they got great receivers in later rounds - Nelson, Cobb, Jennings, Adams, etc.  Just because they did not spend a first round pick, does not mean they did not get great receivers for Rodgers to throw to.

Sorry  to keep quoting you specifically, but i have seen a lot of others mention this too including the media.

I dont believe its about draft picks, its more about coaching and simply not getting along well with the office.  He never really got along with McCarthy and admitted to being mad about recent coaching decisions too like that field goal.  

Hes not forcing his way out over a lack of first round WRs

29 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Love <> AR at this point

That is a pretty high bar to clear, Love doesnt even look like a starter yet and AR has multiple mvps and a super bowl

Ar12 is in my top 10 ever, Im confident in saying Jordan love wont come close to anything like that

5 hours ago, FortheWin said:

that's hilarious with all due respect.

You can hate Rodgers for whatever. but stating that Love comes close to anything like Rodgers is so premature.

1 hour ago, rayski said:

that's hilarious with all due respect.

You can hate Rodgers for whatever. but stating that Love comes close to anything like Rodgers is so premature.

Oh gosh. I was not insinuating that Love will be equal to Rodgers although I suppose he could as no one thought Rodgers would be better than Favre but I was more saying that GB drafted a QB with the intention of him eventually replacing Rodgers. I am sure they would prefer to wait and give Love more time to develop but they have a QB in place. Whether or not he is anything close to Rodgers is a total crap shoot but that would be true with any QB they drafted.

4 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Sorry  to keep quoting you specifically, but i have seen a lot of others mention this too including the media.

I dont believe its about draft picks, its more about coaching and simply not getting along well with the office.  He never really got along with McCarthy and admitted to being mad about recent coaching decisions too like that field goal.  

Hes not forcing his way out over a lack of first round WRs

I agree. I don't believe it is about the WRs either. I was just responding to another poster who was saying the Packers never drafted a WR in the first round.

12 hours ago, FortheWin said:

He definitely has power, he could just retire, he has enough money too already. He could also just sit out. Without Rodgers that team won't win 5 games. That is their problem though.

You say he hasn't won a SB in over a decade but they are always in the thick of it with him and have been to the NFC Championship a few times with him, they won't even sniff the playoffs without him.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:09 AM, FortheWin said:

My posts are not long and detailed to annoy people. My commentary is that way to illustrate a point or a series of points in this case, because people are not reading or listening to what is there, and reading and hearing what is not there. So, I find it no surprise that the same thing has happened with my comments about this situation that has been happening with Aaron Rodger's comments about this situation.

At no point in my comments did I say he addressed the 4th and goal issue in his latest press conference. That was in the post NFCCG press conference. That is the only time that he has directly spoken about any sort of disagreement between himself and anyone in a management position within the Green Bay organization. Both of those statements are facts.

His vague reference to culture and people did not point to the Green Bay organization itself. The distaste surrounding his lack of a reference to Gutekunst is akin to someone pointing out how an actor omitted their aunt in a thank you speech at the Oscars. It's not his job to have a relationship with the front office anyway.

This is nothing more than the media fishing for content that isn't there because they are desperate for something to talk about. This entire thread of conversation started when Rodgers was upset about not getting the ball with a chance to go to the Super Bowl. People are upset because he won't say what they want him to say so they can point their finger and get on their megaphone and print tabloid headlines. It's asinine. 

17 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

My posts are not long and detailed to annoy people. My commentary is that way to illustrate a point or a series of points in this case, because people are not reading or listening to what is there, and reading and hearing what is not there. So, I find it no surprise that the same thing has happened with my comments about this situation that has been happening with Aaron Rodger's comments about this situation.

At no point in my comments did I say he addressed the 4th and goal issue in his latest press conference. That was in the post NFCCG press conference. That is the only time that he has directly spoken about any sort of disagreement between himself and anyone in a management position within the Green Bay organization. Both of those statements are facts.

His vague reference to culture and people did not point to the Green Bay organization itself. The distaste surrounding his lack of a reference to Gutekunst is akin to someone pointing out how an actor omitted their aunt in a thank you speech at the Oscars. It's not his job to have a relationship with the front office anyway.

This is nothing more than the media fishing for content that isn't there because they are desperate for something to talk about. This entire thread of conversation started when Rodgers was upset about not getting the ball with a chance to go to the Super Bowl. People are upset because he won't say what they want him to say so they can point their finger and get on their megaphone and print tabloid headlines. It's asinine. 

You think this whole Rodgers-Packers issue is something created by.....    the media?

Oh, Dear God....      :facepalm:

If this was a media creation, and Rodgers was happy where he is, and there was nothing to all the rumors and stories,  Rodgers is perfectly capable of ending it all. 

He could either go big, call a press conference and say he’s happy and not interested in going anywhere. 

Or....

Give a one-on-one interview to the reporter of his choice...     Peter King?   Rich Eisen?  The great guy who used to report for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (and is now with The Athletic) and give an exclusive story to them. 

But no.   In his own passive-aggressive way, Rodgers has deliberately let this blow up to become THE story of the off-season.   If the Packers are going to mess with AR, then he’s going to mess with them.   It can go both ways. 

None of those things have happened because AR doesn’t want it to happen.  The Packers are now putting out stories about calling AR’s bluff.  

And here we are.

Calling this a creation of the media reveals your disgust with them.  That’s your right.  But you’d be completely wrong.  Because in this story, there’s not only smoke, there’s fire.  Lots of fire. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think this whole Rodgers-Packers issue is something created by.....    the media?

Oh, Dear God....      :facepalm:

If this was a media creation, and Rodgers was happy where he is, and there was nothing to all the rumors and stories,  Rodgers is perfectly capable of ending it all. 

He could either go big, call a press conference and say he’s happy and not interested in going anywhere. 

Or....

Give a one-on-one interview to the reporter of his choice...     Peter King?   Rich Eisen?  The great guy who used to report for the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (and is now with The Athletic) and give an exclusive story to them. 

But no.   In his own passive-aggressive way, Rodgers has deliberately let this blow up to become THE story of the off-season.   If the Packers are going to mess with AR, then he’s going to mess with them.   It can go both ways. 

None of those things have happened because AR doesn’t want it to happen.  The Packers are now putting out stories about calling AR’s bluff.  

And here we are.

Calling this a creation of the media reveals your disgust with them.  That’s your right.  But you’d be completely wrong.  Because in this story, there’s not only smoke, there’s fire.  Lots of fire. 

Again, how much of this is Rodgers fault because he won't say inflammatory things to the media? That's what I don't get here. The title of the thread is "Rodgers wants out" and the finger pointing in Rodgers direction is... baseless. That is my entire point. The context of my comments were again related to what Rodgers has or has not said in public. As frustrating as it might be for people who want this to be a story, it isn't, at least not because of anything he has said. But now it's because of what he hasn't or won't say. What's next? Mandatory fines if he doesn't produce a satisfactory quote that these ambulance chasing muppets can run around with?

Your post is a lot closer to the bone than most of the comments I have read here. But to say this has nothing to do with the media and then in the same post say, well if he would just call a presser is laughable at best. I do agree with one thing, the fool(s) who leaked this tripe to the media will probably be out of work if Rodgers does return to play for Green Bay this season.

26 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Again, how much of this is Rodgers fault because he won't say inflammatory things to the media? That's what I don't get here. The title of the thread is "Rodgers wants out" and the finger pointing in Rodgers direction is... baseless. That is my entire point. The context of my comments were again related to what Rodgers has or has not said in public. As frustrating as it might be for people who want this to be a story, it isn't, at least not because of anything he has said. But now it's because of what he hasn't or won't say. What's next? Mandatory fines if he doesn't produce a satisfactory quote that these ambulance chasing muppets can run around with?

Your post is a lot closer to the bone than most of the comments I have read here. But to say this has nothing to do with the media and then in the same post say, well if he would just call a presser is laughable at best. I do agree with one thing, the fool(s) who leaked this tripe to the media will probably be out of work if Rodgers does return to play for Green Bay this season.

For what it’s worth...  one of the headline stories over on NFL.com right now is this....

“Packers CEO:  Rodgers situation has divided our fan base.”

This thing is a thing because it IS a thing.   Just because Aaron Rodgers hasn’t been in front of cameras and microphones to give juicy quotes doesn’t mean there aren’t juicy comments being made behind the scenes. 

This is not some creation of the media.  

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth...  one of the headline stories over on NFL.com right now is this....

“Packers CEO:  Rodgers situation has divided our fan base.”

This thing is a thing because it IS a thing.   Just because Aaron Rodgers hasn’t been in front of cameras and microphones to give juicy quotes doesn’t mean there aren’t juicy comments being made behind the scenes. 

You mean like Schefter coming out on draft day releasing "things we have been hearing all off season"? That non-creation of the media?

1 hour ago, JoeThornburg said:

As frustrating as it might be for people who want this to be a story, it isn't, at least not because of anything he has said. But now it's because of what he hasn't or won't say. What's next? Mandatory fines if he doesn't produce a satisfactory quote that these ambulance chasing muppets can run around with?

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's not necessarily about the "story" or the "media".  This is just human nature.  We build people up into heroes and put them on a pedestal, just to tear them down eventually.

Every society does this.  And people can't wait to tear down the heroes, they eat this sort of drama up.  Obviously.  This stuff sells/gets clicks.

The threads in this very forum with the most pages/clicks/views are usually the most dramatic.  We all contribute to this one way or another.  :dunno:

2 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

You mean like Schefter coming out on draft day releasing "things we have been hearing all off season"? That non-creation of the media?

What do think was non-created?   He’s been hearing things all off-season, and he said so.  It’s not like Shefter lacks credibility. 

It can be from all sorts of sources.  The player himself.  The player’s agent.   Other front office people.   Teammates of the player.  The list is endless.   Your hate of the media forces you to take a shot at a respected member of the media even after the CEO all but CONFIRMS the story you refuse to believe is true. 

Sorry, but that’s a you issue. 

Shefter has taken some heat for breaking the story on the night of the start of the draft,  but no one has questioned the accuracy of the story.   No one disputes the story.

Except people who don’t like the story or don’t like the media or both.   And here we are. 

22 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

You are aware Rodger is holding out, right? That he did say he has respect for the entire Packers org except the GM?  That was a willful omission as he named everyone else. That is not a media fabrication.

I can't figure out if you are a Rodgers fan boy (which is fine if you are as we all get blinded by fandom at times) or if you just hate the media. Either way, your post is way, way off base.

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What do think was non-created?   He’s been hearing things all off-season, and he said so.  It’s not like Shefter lacks credibility. 

It can be from all sorts of sources.  The player himself.  The player’s agent.   Other front office people.   Teammates of the player.  The list is endless.   Your hate of the media forces you to take a shot at a respected member of the media even after the CEO all but CONFIRMS the story you refuse to believe is true. 

Sorry, but that’s a you issue. 

Shefter has taken some heat for breaking the story on the night of the start of the draft,  but no one has questioned the accuracy of the story.   No one disputes the story.

Except people who don’t like the story or don’t like the media or both.   And here we are. 

Nobody is disputing the accuracy of if? Don't put me in a vacuum here. Did you read any of the comments about Dan Patrick's video? Plenty of people are questioning the validity of how this entire discussion is coming to be daily front page headlines. I mean I could sit here and try to manipulate the issue and tell you that you're wrong because you are looking at this from a different point of view but that's not my intention here.

I'm not refusing to believe anything. The bottom line is this is all hearsay at this point. Every last bit of this is third party information from unqualified sources. The other part of this is man, look I like you because you normally bring really good insight into a lot of issues. If any of this stuff actually turns out to be the case, I will not be shocked in any way shape or form.

My whole thing with that is personally, if I were a journalist, I would not have released this right before the draft and then backpedaled later and said hey guys yanno I really didn't have anything to report that wasn't already the subject of speculation on social media anyway. I mean come on bro he goes so far as to speculate in his interview with Patrick that he was saying goodbye to Green Bay. Where did Rodgers say any of that? Did anyone consider that this is Rodgers being tired of the NFL grind at 37 years old with other much less punishing potential career options on the horizon? Like come on man. Schefter is normally plugged right into the pulse of what's going on in the league but this... this is different.

15 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

You are aware Rodger is holding out, right? That he did say he has respect for the entire Packers org except the GM?  That was a willful omission as he named everyone else. That is not a media fabrication.

I can't figure out if you are a Rodgers fan boy (which is fine if you are as we all get blinded by fandom at times) or if you just hate the media. Either way, your post is way, way off base.

Nah I've never been a particular fan of Rodgers. All time great player, but I would not want the guy in my locker room and as has been stated how he is handling this is a good example of why I feel that way. At the same time, the media depends on these headlines to remain relevant and that is where I come in and say wait a minute here. Slow down, back up and think about what is being said and by whom for what reason. My problem with the media in this particular case, as a life long contributor to and consumer of this product, is that I do no feel that as consumers we should have this many questions about things that are being spouted as bona fide facts. Schefter even said that many times when a person has to guess about where a story comes from they are wrong. Well, that's what we are being fed... speculation.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-wont-return-to-packers-under-gm-brian-gutekunst-could-also-hold-out-of-camp-per-report/

Please if you have a minute read that article. I'm just trying to bring some sensible thinking into this discussion. I'm not here to demonize anyone or kiss anyone below the belt either. Just think. Gutekunst is quoted in that article that Rodgers and himself have never had a discussion along any of these lines. 

In addition, Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson reports that Rodgers' concern is primarily with general manager Brian Gutekunst, and that the QB is prepared to hold out of training camp this summer.

The reigning league MVP "remains adamant," Robinson writes, "that he won't return to the team under the current stewardship of ... Gutekunst, a source in Rodgers' camp said, and that he's willing to weigh hardline options at his disposal -- from refusing to show up for offseason activities to holding out of training camp and possibly retirement."

Following the conclusion of the draft, Gutekunst attempted to throw cold water on the Yahoo! Sports report, though he did so in a way that notably was not a 100 percent denial of the facts.

"Aaron hasn't said anything like that to me and certainly hasn't said anything publicly," he said, per ESPN.com. "I think that's a little unfair to put that on him. Certainly don't like to hear those things, but no, nothing's been communicated directly to me."

Because it's not a 100% denial, the opposite has to be the absolute truth, of course with a healthy dose of our own speculation thrown in because we simply do not know.

My point is if this is a fair point of debate, then I think it's only fair for me to play devil's advocate here and say well, none of this is coming from either of the horses mouths, so maybe it's coming from another, much less desirable part of the horse.

On 6/3/2021 at 8:01 PM, DougDew said:

HE IS  the smartest person in the room and should be making decisions ..... if he wasn't he wouldn't have been chosen to host Jeopardy.  :funny:

20 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

So who is the source in Rodgers camp here? Jake from State Farm? Seriously. If the guy holds out from camp and it actually happens, then it's a story I would report.

I think Jake from State Farm is partially to blame. Rogers ego was even more inflated than usual when he mistakenly thought Jake was cutting him great rates because he's a Superstar.... Jake FAILED to convince him he wasn't getting special treatment. 

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think Jake from State Farm is partially to blame. Rogers ego was even more inflated than usual when he mistakenly thought Jake was cutting him great rates because he's a Superstar.... Jake FAILED to convince him he wasn't getting special treatment. 

Thanks for the reply my friend. I mean I could have just been the resident wiseass here myself but all I want from this is like just think folks. lol. I do tend to look at this more as a player myself. If I was in Rodgers shoes, I'd probably be doing something similar.

The NFL will chew a man up and spit them out now, but it wasn't like that back in the old days. Players and management were a lot closer. There was also a lot less scrutiny back then. Meh so you got into a bar fight and ended up crashing at ur old lady's place. Here's a 6 pack and a train ticket. Make sure ur there for the game. On the other hand, there are a lot more protections for players now than there were. 

The other reason I suppose I tend to side with most players is, well let me cite another more recent example. How the NFL fudged CTE testing. Um, if we are speculating here. Let me qualify my statement before I release it by saying I am not an expert and I have no proof of anything. Let's get that out of the way. This is my opinion.

The players in the NFL are predominantly black. Fact. The NFL based their CTE testing on the premise that men of that particular gene pool inherently have a lower cognitive function than men from other ancestry. The fact in that statement is that the NFL did that, not that their stance on this particular issue is the correct one.

So, knowing that is the case, let's ask why and how the league came to this particular conclusion.

What if... just what if? Let's crunch some numbers here. How much money is that going to save the NFL? I'm not a math genius anymore since I personally began ingesting large quantities of drugs and alcohol to cope with issues I couldn't find much help for myself, but I'd be willing to advance the question and ask if it's more than what the NFL makes from a guy like Aaron Rodgers right now.  

I'm asking a question here. I'm framing my comments as a question I am asking. I am not telling people to go put out a fire that may or may not be there and hose down some rando that just so happens to be standing near the fire, but that is what's happening concerning the subject of Rodgers and his current standing with... whoever, including his family because at the end of the day the guy is still a member of the human race.

I will not get into details about why Rodgers is so important to the media, but again I can speculate. I can also speculate as to why he would be someone selected to host Jeopardy over a guy like say.. James Harrison. But I digress.

Let me also qualify my statement by saying that I am in no way a fan of having racial and political discussions when it comes to sports, no matter which side of any particular fence you may find yourself on concerning any issue. Sports to me are a pure form of entertainment.

John Madden said it best. 

I think the team that scores the most points is going to win this football game.

That's really as complicated as it should be. 

4 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

So who is the source in Rodgers camp here? Jake from State Farm? Seriously. If the guy holds out from camp and it actually happens, then it's a story I would report.

So, it's not a story because you don't have a quote from Aaron Rodgers?

Him not being at the OTA's isn't a statement?

The fact that the President of the Packers says the story is true doesn't move the needle for you?     Only if Rodgers misses the mandatory camp is this a story for you.

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-president-ceo-mark-murphy-aaron-rodgers-situation-has-divided-our-fan-ba

By the way,  the video link you posted in another post in this thread was from late April.   We're now in early June.   More than 5 weeks later.     Your attempt to made a point is moot.   What you have is very old news.    The ship has sailed,  the horse has left the barn.    In other words,  you're too late.    The issue of Rodgers not being happy is settled,  even if not to your standards.    Rodgers is NOT happy.    His words and actions say so.    And the highest ranking people with the franchise he plays for all say so.    

The only question left unanswered is how this ends?

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, it's not a story because you don't have a quote from Aaron Rodgers?

Him not being at the OTA's isn't a statement?

The fact that the President of the Packers says the story is true doesn't move the needle for you?     Only if Rodgers misses the mandatory camp is this a story for you.

https://www.nfl.com/news/packers-president-ceo-mark-murphy-aaron-rodgers-situation-has-divided-our-fan-ba

By the way,  the video link you posted in another post in this thread was from late April.   We're now in early June.   More than 5 weeks later.     Your attempt to made a point is moot.   What you have is very old news.    The ship has sailed,  the horse has left the barn.    In other words,  you're too late.    The issue of Rodgers not being happy is settled,  even if not to your standards.    Rodgers is NOT happy.    His words and actions say so.    And the highest ranking people with the franchise he plays for all say so.    

The only question left unanswered is how this ends?

I told you this. If he holds out from mandatory drills, then it's a story I would report. And I would say nothing more that he didn't show up for mini camp and is being fined. That's my job as a journalist. To report the facts. If I am presenting something as an opinion piece, then I need to frame it as such, or have my articles posted in the opinion section of whatever publication that wants to run them as such. There is plenty of room here for both worlds to exist, but when you present yourself as an insider and state something as fact to get your name on TV, you better be right about it.

Also, why did that story divide the fan base? Did they give us a poll that they took? Did they open this up to public opinion and say well here is what our fans are saying an here are the numbers? No. If so guess what it is... opinion. They can't even produce that much. It's all debate.

Again if the dude doesn't show, I won't be surprised in the slightest but I have other things that skew my opinion in that direction that don't fit into the narrative that it all revolves around Gutekunst. If that's the case hey why not just run Green Bay like Jerry World? Anything he doesn't like gets blown downhill and we all have to eat it.

Also, I know a lot of Colts fans were completely gutted, and I used that term purposefully, when Luck decided to retire at the 11th hour. My entire point is, again, it's all still speculation. We are spending more time here discussing an outcome that has not happened yet than we are discussing something that has actually happened on the football field. If that is what this has all become, I'm not sure how much money or time I want to spend on it anymore man.

We don't know why Rodgers skipped OTAs. We know that he did skip OTAs. It is a fact that he did skip OTAs. There is a very distinct difference between the two things.

Between @JoeThornburgand @NewColtsFan, you guys both make good points. The media is pretty powerful and most people listen to what they have to say, their narratives, etc.. I will pretty much stay out of your guys convo but I do have 1 question, has Rodgers ever once said that there is no way he would ever play for the Packers again? To my knowledge he hasn't. I have never even heard him say anything like, he hates being a Packer either. By some of the stuff you read and hear it makes some believe that though.

Archived