Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rodgers wants out

GoColts8818

31 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

Chad I think the media is blowing this out of proportion. I don’t think this is as bad as they are making it out to be.

I don't know how bad the situation is, but Rodgers isn't attending OTAs. They are voluntary, but he has always attended in the past. He said that it has never been about draft choices or Jordan Love, that it's "the culture and doing the right thing." So what does Rodgers mean by "doing the right thing?" That part isn't clear. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. 

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

I don't know how bad the situation is, but Rodgers isn't attending OTAs. They are voluntary, but he has always attended in the past. He said that it has never been about draft choices or Jordan Love, that it's "the culture and doing the right thing." So what does Rodgers mean by "doing the right thing?" That part isn't clear. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. 

I wonder if a trade for Julio Jones would entice Aaron to return?

did anyone hear this discussed on 1070 this morning?  As i was leaving for work they said Rodgers was talking with Shannon Sharpe and said something on air about it that they think he thought he was off air.  I didn't get to hear what he said and i can't find any reference to it on the interwebs.

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

As i was leaving for work they said Rodgers was talking with Shannon Sharpe and s

it was julio jones, not rogers.  I think it was planned too, he could seek legal action if it wasnt.  he doesnt seem to be  mad about it now either 

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

it was julio jones, not rogers.  I think it was planned too, he could seek legal action if it wasnt.  he doesnt seem to be  mad about it now either 

Thanks!  I was half listening.

Has it already been mentioned here that Green Bay, with only two QBs on its roster, brought in two quarterbacks for tryouts, Kurt Benckart and Chad Kelly? Shockingly, they signed Benckart and not Kelly. They've also signed Blake Bortles and are bringing in another free agent QB, Donald Hammond III, for a tryout today.   

https://dairylandexpress.com/2021/05/23/green-bay-packers-reportedly-holding-another-qb-workout/

On 5/25/2021 at 8:49 AM, teganslaw said:

Ian Rapoport had a very small story the other day that really paints the picture for me...

Last preseason GB had a receiver named Kumerow that was working with Rodgers and the offense and was doing well enough that Rodgers praised him to the media and the very next day he was cut. There are a few ways this can be viewed...

The front office is so disconnected they had no idea Kumerow was doing well enough to stay on the team.

The coaching staff had no idea the front office was cutting him and shouldn't have had him taking meaning reps.

The coaching staff was unaware of how well he was connecting with Rodgers and didn't inform the front office. 

Rodgers told the staff and the front office that Kumerow was working out and they cut him anyway. 

Not a single one of those is good. While cutting 1 WR that may never take meaningful NFL snaps is a small thing, its a gigantic thing when viewed in context of what that says about organization communication and/or what they think of Rodgers' opinion. I'd be mad AF if I was Rodgers at any of those scenarios. 

1 hour ago, FortheWin said:

He wants the GM fired and a new deal. 

I've never heard that.   

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I bet the rest of the division hopes so too because if he sits GB will stink and go 5-11 or 6-10 at best.

I would go with between 3-5 wins.

3 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Ian Rapoport had a very small story the other day that really paints the picture for me...

Last preseason GB had a receiver named Kumerow that was working with Rodgers and the offense and was doing well enough that Rodgers praised him to the media and the very next day he was cut. There are a few ways this can be viewed...

The front office is so disconnected they had no idea Kumerow was doing well enough to stay on the team.

The coaching staff had no idea the front office was cutting him and shouldn't have had him taking meaning reps.

The coaching staff was unaware of how well he was connecting with Rodgers and didn't inform the front office. 

Rodgers told the staff and the front office that Kumerow was working out and they cut him anyway. 

Not a single one of those is good. While cutting 1 WR that may never take meaningful NFL snaps is a small thing, its a gigantic thing when viewed in context of what that says about organization communication and/or what they think of Rodgers' opinion. I'd be mad AF if I was Rodgers at any of those scenarios. 

Looking at his career, I'm not going to blame the Packers for cutting him.

Cincinnati Bengals[edit]

Kumerow signed with the Cincinnati Bengals as an undrafted free agent on May 8, 2015.[3] He was released on September 5, 2015, and was signed to the practice squad the next day, where he spent his entire rookie season.[4][5] He signed a reserve/future contract with the Bengals on January 11, 2016.[6]

Kumerow was released by the Bengals on September 3, 2016, and was signed to the practice squad during the next day.[7][8] He was promoted to the active roster on December 27, 2016.[9]

On August 9, 2017, Kumerow was waived/injured by the Bengals after suffering an ankle injury and was placed on injured reserve.[10] He was released on September 22, 2017 with an injury settlement.

New England Patriots[edit]

On October 26, 2017, Kumerow was signed to the New England Patriots' practice squad.[11] He was released on November 9, 2017.[12]

Green Bay Packers[edit]

Kumerow in a game against the Washington Football Team

On December 26, 2017, Kumerow was signed to the Green Bay Packers' practice squad.[13] He signed a reserve/future contract with the Packers on January 2, 2018.[14]

On September 3, 2018, Kumerow was placed on injured reserve.[15] He was activated off injured reserve on December 1, 2018[16] and made his NFL debut the following day, in a week 13 loss to the Arizona Cardinals. He also recorded his first career reception, an 11-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers, during that game. On December 23, he scored his first NFL touchdown on a 49-yard reception against the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium.

Kumerow returned to the Packers on March 11, 2019.[17]

On April 25, 2020, the Packers re-signed Kumerow as an exclusive-rights free agent, which kept him under contract for Green Bay for another year.[18][19] He was released during final roster cuts on September 5, 2020.[20]

Buffalo Bills[edit]

On September 8, 2020, Kumerow was signed to the practice squad of the Buffalo Bills.[21] He was elevated to the active roster on November 7, November 14, and November 28 for the team's weeks 9, 10, and 12 games against the Seattle Seahawks, Arizona Cardinals, Los Angeles Chargers, and reverted to the practice squad after each game.[22][23][24] He was promoted to the active roster on December 2, 2020.[25] Kumerow caught a touchdown pass from Josh Allen against the Denver Broncos in week 15, helping convert a second and goal from the 22-yard line.[26] He was waived on December 24, 2020 with starter John Brown returning from injured reserve.[27]

New Orleans Saints[edit]

On December 25, 2020, Kumerow was claimed off waivers by the New Orleans Saints.[28] He was waived on January 9, 2021.[29] On January 13, 2021, Kumerow re-signed with the Saints practice squad.[30][31] He was released on January 18.[32]

Buffalo Bills (second stint)[edit]

On January 26, 2021, Kumerow signed a reserve/futures contract with the Buffalo Bills.[33]

35 minutes ago, Myles said:

Looking at his career, I'm not going to blame the Packers for cutting him.

You 100% missed the entire point. If your All-Pro, MVP, Super Bowl champion, top 10 greatest QB of all time says he really likes a guy and you cut that player without at least talking to your QB, you screwed up. Not sure how that could be viewed as anything other than problematic. Even if the WR is the worst NFL player of all time you shouldn't be cutting WR's without talking to your QB.

14 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

You 100% missed the entire point. If your All-Pro, MVP, Super Bowl champion, top 10 greatest QB of all time says he really likes a guy and you cut that player without at least talking to your QB, you screwed up. Not sure how that could be viewed as anything other than problematic. Even if the WR is the worst NFL player of all time you shouldn't be cutting WR's without talking to your QB.

Maybe.  I don't think the GM needs to talk to the QB.  He just needs to talk to the head coach.  

On 5/28/2021 at 2:12 PM, Mitch Connors said:

It happens all the time. Players play. Coaches coach. This notion that the QB needs to be aware of everything going on from a team building/development standpoint is complete nonsense and bad for the game.

On 5/29/2021 at 2:27 PM, FortheWin said:

It happens all the time. Players play. Coaches coach. This notion that the QB needs to be aware of everything going on from a team building/development standpoint is complete nonsense and bad for the game.

Just so were clear...youre saying the QB of an NFL team should have no say in the WR's that are currently on the team? He should have no input on who plays, when and where? 

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Just so were clear...youre saying the QB of an NFL team should have no say in the WR's that are currently on the team? He should have no input on who plays, when and where? 

Players should have zero input on team building whether that is the draft or FA. This notion that the QB should get a heads up on what the team is doing from a team building standpoint is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Players should have zero input on team building whether that is the draft or FA. This notion that the QB should get a heads up on what the team is doing from a team building standpoint is ridiculous.

Yeah you have to trust your GM to do the right thing. Polian hit the lottery when he drafted Reggie Wayne, we already had Marvin but Polian gambled and wanted us to be explosive, it paid off but sometimes it doesn't. Peyton to my knowledge had no input on drafting another WR.

I think Rodgers and Wilson have gone crazy with what has happened with Brady in Tampa.  Part of why Brady signed with Tampa is he was told he would have some say in personnel. That was a big part of what he wanted as a FA and he was fortunate to get it. But that is not the norm and nor should it be. Brady is 43 and is practically a coach at this point. Very unique situation.

1 minute ago, FortheWin said:

I think Rodgers and Wilson have gone crazy with what has happened with Brady in Tampa.  Part of why Brady signed with Tampa is he was told he would have some say in personnel. That was a big part of what he wanted as a FA and he was fortunate to get it. But that is not the norm and nor should it be. Brady is 43 and is practically a coach at this point. Very unique situation.

I am not so sure Rodgers shouldn't have some input, it isn't the norm but Rodgers is the MVP and in that tier all-time with Brady and Peyton, I have Rodgers top 10 ever. If the Pack lose him they will stink so they are kind of in a bad predicament. I don't ever remember Peyton having any input at all though as he let Polian do his job.

36 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah you have to trust your GM to do the right thing. Polian hit the lottery when he drafted Reggie Wayne, we already had Marvin but Polian gambled and wanted us to be explosive, it paid off but sometimes it doesn't. Peyton to my knowledge had no input on drafting another WR.

Were not talking about drafting or acquiring players. We're talking about players ON the team that are working with the QB. 

This would be like if Peyton went to Dungy/Polian and said this Austin Collie kid is great. Hes got the playbook down, runs crisp routes, has great hands and the two of us have a real connection - then the Colts cut him the next day. You honestly dont think that would infuriate Peyton and/or you honestly dont think his opinion should matter about players ON the team particularly the ones hes throwing the ball to?

That's whats being reported with Rodgers.

And another point...if a QB's input doesn't matter that goes both ways I assume. The team has a player that has great measurables, great hands but he cannot run the route correctly throwing off timing with the QB. The QB needs to shut-up, say nothing about player/personnel and let the coaches/GM's sort that out. Right?

1 minute ago, Mitch Connors said:

Were not talking about drafting or acquiring players. We're talking about players ON the team that are working with the QB. 

This would be like if Peyton went to Dungy/Polian and said this Austin Collie kid is great. Hes got the playbook down, runs crisp routes, has great hands and the two of us have a real connection - then the Colts cut him the next day. You honestly dont think that would * Peyton off and/or you honestly dont think his opinion should matter about players ON the team particularly the ones hes throwing the ball to?

Ok that is entirely different. I thought you meant Rodgers having input on who to draft as in going to the GM and demanding him to draft a WR.

34 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

This would be like if Peyton went to Dungy/Polian and said this Austin Collie kid is great. Hes got the playbook down, runs crisp routes, has great hands and the two of us have a real connection - then the Colts cut him the next day. You honestly dont think that would infuriate Peyton and/or you honestly dont think his opinion should matter about players ON the team particularly the ones hes throwing the ball to?

Rodgers is upset they drafted Love and didn't tell him. He apparently thinks he is the only player in the NFL who should not have to compete for his job.

And plenty of WRs are let go all the time that have a great rapport with their QBs. There are financial and contract considerations as well which has nothing to do with the QB at all.

15 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

Rodgers is upset they drafted Love and didn't tell him. He apparently thinks he is the only player in the NFL who should not have to compete for his job.

And plenty of WRs are let go all the time that have a great rapport with their QBs. There are financial and contract considerations as well which has nothing to do with the QB at all.

Rodgers has said publicly it has nothing to do with drafting Love.

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Rodgers has said publicly it has nothing to do with drafting Love.

He said the opposite. He said he likes Love as a person and player and there is no fault with Love. But he did say he was upset with the GM not telling him he was going to draft Love. This is why Gunekunst has apologized publicly for not giving Rodgers a call beforehand. That is the sticking point when Rodgers says he does not like the culture and he threw a monkey wrench in their plans by winning MVP. He is specifically talking about the Love pick.

2 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

He said the opposite. He said he likes Love as a person and player and there is no fault with Love. But he did say he was upset with the GM not telling him he was going to draft Love. This is why Gunekunst has apologized publicly for not giving Rodgers a call beforehand. That is the sticking point when Rodgers says he does not like the culture and he threw a monkey wrench in their plans by winning MVP. He is specifically talking about the Love pick.

You got a link to that quote?

So what exactly is happening in GB that compels Rodgers to want to go to the mat over?

If its not Love, its now the fact that the GM cut a journeyman WR who was clicking with AR in practice? 

Not getting a phone call?  Really?  Kinda petty, IMO.

The Love thing actually makes more sense to be mad about.....a guy drafted to take your job even though you're playing well and not ready to leave....than not getting a phone call about it or cutting just another WR.

If he doesn't want to play for GB, just retire. 

GB already has his replacement.  This situation is not complicated for GB. 

Kind of sounds like he's bought into that trendy "power to the people" martyrdom over some undefined "cultural issue" and thinks the fan base is going to revolt against his nemesis if GB goes 5 wins next season.

Cheese Heads love their team.  They'll be fine even if the team stinks for a couple of years.

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The Love thing actually makes more sense to be mad about.....a guy drafted to take your job even though you're playing well and not ready to leave....than not getting a phone call about it or cutting just another WR.

Didn't they do the same thing when the drafted Aaron?   

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

So what exactly is happening in GB that compels Rodgers to want to go to the mat over?

If its not Love, its now the fact that the GM cut a journeyman WR who was clicking with AR in practice? 

Not getting a phone call?  Really?  Kinda petty, IMO.

If he doesn't want to play for GB, just retire. 

GB already has his replacement.  This situation is not complicated for GB. 

Kind of sounds like he's bought into that trendy "power to the people" martyrdom over some undefined "cultural issue" and thinks the fan base is going to revolt against his nemesis if GB goes 5 wins next season.

Cheese Heads love their team.  They'll be fine even if the team stinks for a couple of years.

The GB fans are turning on him understandably. If you don't want to play for them then move along. They love their team more than anything or anyone.

24 minutes ago, FortheWin said:

The GB fans are turning on him understandably. If you don't want to play for them then move along. They love their team more than anything or anyone.

The fans are turning because he has no real basis for his complaint.  

AR runs in the celebrity/elite circles and the average GB fan does not.  AR appears to be whipping out the trendy culture issue excuse.  Just label your beef as an undefined culture issue and you can make Authority look like the bad guy without even having any facts to back it up, according to the social circles he's currently running with. LOL.  Normal people don't run in those circles and make opinions based upon actual facts.

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The fans are turning because he has no real basis for his complaint.  

AR runs in the celebrity/elite circles and the average GB fan does not.  AR appears to be whipping out the trendy culture issue excuse.  Just label your beef as an undefined culture issue and you can make Authority look like the bad guy without even having any facts to back it up, according to the social circles he's currently running with. LOL.  Normal people don't run in those circles and make opinions based upon actual facts.

“No real basis for his complaint” ???

Really?   Seriously?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

“No real basis for his complaint” ???

Really?   Seriously?

I have not followed the AR saga.  What I have read is that he no longer views the drafting of Love as being the issue. (Where I have said, drafting a replacement when you are playing well and plan to stay can be an issue, IMO)

Its now about him not getting a phone call before hand, or about the GM cutting a WR that happened to be liking in camp.

Are there other reasons?  Can you describe them?  Or do these two issues define GB as falling into that popular misty mushy pool of "culture" that only he seems to have a problem with?

Again, I have not followed the saga from when this started way back on page 1, so I appreciate any information.

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I have not followed the AR saga.  What I have read is that he no longer views the drafting of Love as being the issue. (Where I have said, drafting a replacement when you are playing well and plan to stay can be an issue, IMO)

Its now about him not getting a phone call before hand, or about the GM cutting a WR that happened to be liking in camp.

Are there other reasons?  Can you describe them?  Or do these two issues define GB as falling into that popular misty mushy pool of "culture" that only he seems to have a problem with?

Again, I have not followed the saga from when this started way back on page 1, so I appreciate any information.

I should say up front, I've always liked Aaron Rodgers.   I'm not one of those Stanford fans who hate all Cal players.   That's never my way.

And, in general, I'm mostly pro-player.   Not entirely,  but most of the time.   Because the owners had all the power for far too long and they wielded that power far too often in a detrimental way,  like denying CTE.

Apologies,  this post will be long....

That said....    I think this Rodgers-Saga has been terrible for him and for football.   Speaking now only as a football fan and NOT a Colts fan,  I think Rodgers has not handled his business well, at all.   He wants everything both ways.   He wants to trash the Packers front office publicly, and privately,  but he doesn't want the media to blast him or the GB fans to hate him.   I think his public words about what he means and wants are to be taken with a deep, deep discount.  He's not to be trusted.

Sorry,  I think he's really hurt his own credibility -- badly.

However...   on the flip-side,  of course much of his anger is about Love being picked.   From what I can tell,  no matter how innocent Rodgers professes to be about Jordan Love,  that is a big part of how we got here.   For years, Rodgers has been asking for more help for him.   We've just had the two best back to back draft classes of wide receivers in history and the Packers took one WR in R3 this year.    And that's it.   Worse,  last year,  they traded UP for Love and didn't even give Rodgers a heads-up courtesy that they were taking his eventual replacement.   Rodgers has earned a much higher level of respect than the GB front office has given him.   When you trade up and take a QB that high,  you've basically told your starter they plan to trade you in a year or two.   Even worse,  Love looked terrible in Y1,  and Rodgers was the League MVP.  Green Bay couldn't look more stupid.   The front office has given a MasterClass on what NOT to do.    Their attitude is stuck in the 1960's.    We're the front office.  You work for us.   When we want your input,  we'll ask for it,  otherwise,  stay in your lane.    Very few sports franchises in ANY sport handle their business that way anymore.    Times have changed and the GB front office has been stuck in cement.   A time warp.

A small thing, but a telling thing.   You've probably read about the Jake Kummerow incident a year ago.   Kummerow was basically Green Bays WR6.    But he was also Rodgers best friend on the team.  One day, Rodgers is giving an interview, Kummerow's name comes up,  and Rodgers speaks well of his good friend.   The next day,  the Packers cut Kummerow.  And didn't tell Rodgers a thing.    I'm not debating whether cutting Kummerow was good or bad.   But it's the WAY they handled their business.  Amazingly disrespectful.   

Rodgers may not be the best QB in football,  but he's still on the short list.   And if he's leaving Green Bay, he'd like more input on where the Packers trade him and when.    He's earned it.   And if he's not being traded,  then it's time to start talking to him about extending his contract,  and figuring out what to do with Love?    This story came directly from Peter King.

Rodgers may be a World Class Diva.   A Drama Queen.   A passive-aggressive egomaniac.   But that doesn't mean he's not right about how Green Bay has handled its business.   There's plenty of blame to go around on both sides.

Apologies for the length of this....

On 5/28/2021 at 11:41 AM, FortheWin said:

He wants the GM fired and a new deal. 

That is all speculation. Neither he nor his agent have spoken directly to that. This is also why I trust ESPN less and less every day.

Look, I get that AR is a big deal. One of the Greats for sure. But let's take Adam Schefter for an example. He came out on the Dan Patrick show and admitted that he released a statement about this situation, on draft day, based on "an accumulation of what we have been hearing from sources", none of which had come from Rodgers, his agent or Gutekunst. Schefty's twitter account has gone from insider info to taking about basketball and retweeting ads for shows airing on ESPN. Just saying.

The prospect of Rodgers retiring has been brought up mainly in the context of his options for a possible exit from Green Bay. Why hasn't more of this speculation been concerning the notion that he may be at a point in his career where he is considering retirement for his own personal reasons, regardless of his situation in Green Bay? Why are people pointing the finger at his alleged distaste for Gutekunst and Green Bay in general rather than considering he may have other career options that don't involve a punishing NFL schedule? Why does someone have to be demonized here to try to explain a situation that happens every day in the NFL? This is common among players whether they are superstars or practice squad signings. There might not be anything Green Bay can do to bring him around if his mind is just elsewhere and it could well be that none of this has anything to do with the Packers organization.

Edit: I Personally think this has more to do with the media going after the small market Green Bay franchise and their traditional approach to things than anything else, because none of this has come from the horse's mouth.

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I should say up front, I've always liked Aaron Rodgers.   I'm not one of those Stanford fans who hate all Cal players.   That's never my way.

And, in general, I'm mostly pro-player.   Not entirely,  but most of the time.   Because the owners had all the power for far too long and they wielded that power far too often in a detrimental way,  like denying CTE.

Apologies,  this post will be long....

That said....    I think this Rodgers-Saga has been terrible for him and for football.   Speaking now only as a football fan and NOT a Colts fan,  I think Rodgers has not handled his business well, at all.   He wants everything both ways.   He wants to trash the Packers front office publicly, and privately,  but he doesn't want the media to blast him or the GB fans to hate him.   I think his public words about what he means and wants are to be taken with a deep, deep discount.  He's not to be trusted.

Sorry,  I think he's really hurt his own credibility -- badly.

However...   on the flip-side,  of course much of his anger is about Love being picked.   From what I can tell,  no matter how innocent Rodgers professes to be about Jordan Love,  that is a big part of how we got here.   For years, Rodgers has been asking for more help for him.   We've just had the two best back to back draft classes of wide receivers in history and the Packers took one WR in R3 this year.    And that's it.   Worse,  last year,  they traded UP for Love and didn't even give Rodgers a heads-up courtesy that they were taking his eventual replacement.   Rodgers has earned a much higher level of respect than the GB front office has given him.   When you trade up and take a QB that high,  you've basically told your starter they plan to trade you in a year or two.   Even worse,  Love looked terrible in Y1,  and Rodgers was the League MVP.  Green Bay couldn't look more stupid.   The front office has given a MasterClass on what NOT to do.    Their attitude is stuck in the 1960's.    We're the front office.  You work for us.   When we want your input,  we'll ask for it,  otherwise,  stay in your lane.    Very few sports franchises in ANY sport handle their business that way anymore.    Times have changed and the GB front office has been stuck in cement.   A time warp.

A small thing, but a telling thing.   You've probably read about the Jake Kummerow incident a year ago.   Kummerow was basically Green Bays WR6.    But he was also Rodgers best friend on the team.  One day, Rodgers is giving an interview, Kummerow's name comes up,  and Rodgers speaks well of his good friend.   The next day,  the Packers cut Kummerow.  And didn't tell Rodgers a thing.    I'm not debating whether cutting Kummerow was good or bad.   But it's the WAY they handled their business.  Amazingly disrespectful.   

Rodgers may not be the best QB in football,  but he's still on the short list.   And if he's leaving Green Bay, he'd like more input on where the Packers trade him and when.    He's earned it.   And if he's not being traded,  then it's time to start talking to him about extending his contract,  and figuring out what to do with Love?    This story came directly from Peter King.

Rodgers may be a World Class Diva.   A Drama Queen.   A passive-aggressive egomaniac.   But that doesn't mean he's not right about how Green Bay has handled its business.   There's plenty of blame to go around on both sides.

Apologies for the length of this....

Ok.  I see your point.

I think I already said this in this thread or elsewhere, but AR kinda got McCarthy fired, implied that he wasn't up to the task.  GB sort of accommodated him there.  Now he's implying that the team hasn't gotten enough help.  That's probably true.  Maybe both are true.

But isn't that a fact with being a professional athlete?  That the people around you aren't as good at their job as you are at yours?  That's the breaks.  He's on a team that can't quite put together all of the decisions needed to win the one more game over the perennial 11 to 12 win seasons they have.  And he has to sort of publicly throw them under the bus because they can only be a deep playoff team each year and not a SB team each year?  That's kinda what it sounds like.

As far as the Love pick.  I specifically remember that AR floated the idea of not playing out his contract via retirement (I think when he was all lovey over Danika Patrick).  THAT is what motivated GB to draft Love in the first place, as insurance against him wanting to move on to being a sports celebrity instead of a sports performer in the middle of his contract.  If he did not float that comment, GB could have spent two draft picks (Love's and the pick they traded to move up) getting him players.  They would not have drafted Love, JMO.

So shooting his mouth about how he might leave the Pack high and dry mid-contract sort of contributed to the problems he now has with the club.

I get the big picture.  The guy is great, but hasn't won as much as we think he should.  You can look at the FO for that.  PM had the same problem.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ok.  I see your point.

I think I already said this in this thread or elsewhere, but AR kinda got McCarthy fired, implied that he wasn't up to the task.  GB sort of accommodated him there.  Now he's implying that the team hasn't gotten enough help.  That's probably true.  Maybe both are true.

But isn't that a fact with being a professional athlete?  That the people around you aren't as good at their job as you are as yours?  That's the breaks.  He's on a team that can't quite put together all of the decisions needed to win the one more game over the perennial 11 to 12 win seasons they have.  And he has to sort of publicly throw them under the bus because they can only be a deep playoff team each year and not a SB team each year?  That's kinda what it sounds like.

As far as the Love pick.  I specifically remember that AR floated the idea of not playing out his contract via retirement (I think when he was all lovey over Danika Patrick).  THAT is what motivated GB to draft Love in the first place, as insurance against him wanting to move on to being a sports celebrity instead of a sports performer.  If he did not float that comment, GB could have spent two draft picks (Love's and the pick they traded to move up) getting him players.  They would not have drafted Love, JMO.

So shooting his mouth about how he might leave the Pack high and dry sort of contributed to the problems he now has with the club.

I get the big picture.  The guy is great, but hasn't won as much as we think he should.  You can look at the FO for that.  PM had the same problem.

Good post, but McCarthy dug his own hole in Green Bay. His offense was outdated but all nonsense aside the defense was also horrible and we always see that when offensive players get expensive, particularly at the rate that QBs are, in my opinion, becoming overvalued to the point of futility. That's not necessarily an issue with the head coach but a league wide problem now.

You did touch on something that also spoke to my sensibilities about other people not being as good at their job as Rodgers is. Well, that sort of goes back to my point about the QB position being overvalued by the NFL as a whole. Who in their right mind would turn down a huge pay day? Because on the other side of the coin it's also a "what have you done for me lately" business. So you end up in a situation where there is an imbalance because of the salary cap. I'm going to do this and i know it will get me in trouble here because... Manning, but Tom Brady is one guy who always took less so there was more to go around for the team. 

At the same time, is anyone really going to care about AR when he retires? You gotta take care of you first. But I also do not agree with this notion that it's all his fault because he's gotten a bigger piece of the pie than others. Why wasn't this done 6 years ago? Same thing with Big Ben in Pittsburgh. Now he takes a pay cut because he realizes his salary was hurting the team. At this point, who cares? The damage was already done. Not that players like Bell or Brown were worth the headache but flip that to the defensive side of the ball and you hve McCarthy's exit from Green Bay. He didn't do himself any favors but he was also scapegoated for a poor defense because Green Bay wanted to keep it's hero in Rodgers.

None of the fans that agree with that sentiment care about who is snapping the ball, or who is laying down that chip block on 3rd & 4. At the end of the day a small market team has a media linchpin and the NFL wants to hold on to it. That's just my take on the situation.

Archived