Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Luck bring a draft pick to the Colts?

BrickHead

Would any team give the Colts a draft pick to obtain the rights to Luck?  Maybe a team believes they could compel Andrew to return as their starting QB, or would gamble a pick just in case he un-retires ... certainly one team would offer a 7th round pick. Wouldn't they?

Just now, BrickHead said:

Would any team give the Colts a draft pick to obtain the rights to Luck?  Maybe a team believes they could compel Andrew to return as their starting QB, or would gamble a pick just in case he un-retires ... certainly one team would offer a 7th round pick. Wouldn't they?

Why give up his rights for a 7th round pick?  

20 hours ago, BrickHead said:

Why would the Colts do it for a 7th rounder?  If he decides to play, you could get a hell of a lot more, and if Wentz as a Colt doesn't go well, you wouldn't trade Luck anywhere.

Just now, John Waylon said:

He’s a free agent in less than a month. Why would anyone trade for him? Unless Ballard and Irsay decide to do something wild and re-sign him any team can call and see if he’s interested in just a couple weeks. 

His contract is frozen in perpetuity, isn't it?

16 minutes ago, #12. said:

His contract is frozen in perpetuity, isn't it?

Don’t believe so. We’ve paid him for the last two years to have his rights if he does decide to come out of retirement. But unless we’re willing to keep paying him to go snowboarding or whatever he’d rather do with his free time (that’s sarcasm, folks. Just for the record.) then he’s free to do as he pleases when we aren’t paying him anymore. 

19 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The Luck saga for some is like being dumped by the gorgeous swim suit model. The guy still leaves his door open and a pic by his bed even though she is now dating Brad Pitt. Its over.....move on and close the damn door and get rid of her picture. Geez!!!

And it's perfectly understandable that she'd want to leave their ugly mug for Brad Pitt. It hurts but you can't blame her!

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Don’t believe so. We’ve paid him for the last two years to have his rights if he does decide to come out of retirement. But unless we’re willing to keep paying him to go snowboarding or whatever he’d rather do with his free time (that’s sarcasm, folks. Just for the record.) then he’s free to do as he pleases when we aren’t paying him anymore. 

In the Dakich interview, I thought Ballard said they have his rights forever.

8 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

They own his rights forever unless he fulfills the contract or they trade his rights

9 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The time of the contract is stayed unless he unretires 

12 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The contract is still valid forever, as the terms of NFL contracts are spelled out in "accrued seasons" not calendar years. If he never plays, he never accrues seasons, and we still own his rights. 

57 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

If someone wanted to give up a pick for a retired player I don't believe is coming back, I would take them up on it.

I think Jim might step in and shoot this down if CB brought it up though.

Well at least "one" poster understood the thread.  What would it take to trade his rights? I would say a 6th round pick, and if he did un-retire, then a 1st for that coming season. What would a team lose in a gamble.

No dead ex girlfriends horse to abuse here. Just a simple question. What could a retired Andrew Luck be worth. Nothing? Unless a team thought the issue was with the Colts, who put a lot of pressure on Andrew to play the season he never made it back. Maybe he soured on the organization. I could see why.

22 hours ago, BrickHead said:

I think it is a very good question. The Colts have an asset. Your question is what would it take for them to trade that asset? (It is a hypothetical question.)

I certainly would want a lot more than a 7th round pick. I would ask for as much as I can get. I think Ballard would too. But I don't think that is on the table. I think Luck will always be a Colt. 

Well, I guess I just learned Luck has been retired (welcome me to reality). Who would have thunk it?  How about this? ... A team offers the Colts a 2nd round pick for the rights to Andrews contract. Who would it be? (Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones do not count, and Al Davis is dead) ... I'm going to go with the Saints. The Saints for many reasons I am sure you are already familiar with.

Would a team give anything to acquire the rights to Andrew Lucks contract? Gronk was retired, no?

18 minutes ago, BrickHead said:

Well, I guess I just learned Luck has been retired (welcome me to reality). Who would have thunk it?  How about this? ... A team offers the Colts a 2nd round pick for the rights to Andrews contract. Who would it be? (Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones do not count, and Al Davis is dead) ... I'm going to go with the Saints. The Saints for many reasons I am sure you are already familiar with.

Would a team give anything to acquire the rights to Andrew Lucks contract? Gronk was retired, no?

Yeah we know Gronk he is know Andrew Luck ,    

1 hour ago, J@son said:

Then you need to rethink it :P

Nah. It is an asset.  If I were the 49ers, I'd want to give a draft pick for his rights. Maybe he would like to come close to his alma mater to play. 

The notion is not realistic, as Irsay has a fondness for Luck, but the question is not a bad one. The poster is thinking outside the box. I love folks that do that. :)

On 2/20/2021 at 4:32 PM, NFLfan said:

Nah. It is an asset.  If I were the 49ers, I'd want to give a draft pick for his rights. Maybe he would like to come close to his alma mater to play. 

The notion is not realistic, as Irsay has a fondness for Luck, but the question is not a bad one. The poster is thinking outside the box. I love folks that do that. :)

Can you think of any time in nfl history that a team has traded for the rights of a retired player with no indication that the retired player might return? 

6 hours ago, J@son said:

Can you think of any time in nfl history that a team has traded for the rights of a retired player with no indication that the retired player might return? 

This was my question after reading this thread.  

I just can't see any team trading away draft picks for a player in the hopes that they might un-retire but with no indication from said player that he will un-retire.

And let's be honest, if Andrew just wanted to play for a different team he could have at any point said that and gotten the Colts to trade him.  He could still do it. . . say he wants to come back but not with Indy.

Luck doesn't do that though.  He lives in Indy and is just living his life and not playing football in the NFL. 

Archived