Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It wouldn't be spare parts we have a need at DE and its one of Philadelphia's deepest groups both are young players, and Sweat had a bit of a breakout year

Creating an overpay in draft capital is it's own risk. I wouldn't presume to know about the Eagles DE depth, but if the point of this is to get Wentz here, taking on other guys for our picks isn't what I'd be into.

Just now, The Fish said:

Creating an overpay in draft capital is it's own risk. I wouldn't presume to know about the Eagles DE depth, but if the point of this is to get Wentz here, taking on other guys for our picks isn't what I'd be into.

Even if its a good player in a position of need?

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Dilliard was a first round pick just in 2019.  If we could get a left tackle out of the deal that would be amazing.

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Even if its a good player in a position of need?

Sure, fine then. My point is that the Eagles aren't going to go dumping their quality DE's, when they're getting shoved over a table, because of their moody QB situation. I feel like it's like the Colts rumor a few days ago saying "Rock could be involved in a trade". Fans of other teams see a guy who's young and a high-ish pick, must be good, right? We see Rock might be on the block and it doesn't register on the meter of concern. I wouldn't be shocked if something like that is going on with the Eagles adding parts to the deal. Could be totally wrong.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

the Eagles had one of the worst OL in the league and you want to give up picks for their LT? 

To me, the only offensive Eagles player that interests me is Ertz. Can you imagine a TE room of Doyle, MAC, and Ertz? Simply unstoppable. But even that probably isn’t worth the cap hit of Ertz

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Appreciate you dong this.   And I don’t know this guy at all....   but...   ask yourself this...

The Colts have a well established reputation for not leaking...   at all...   now look at the views from  this person.   He claims...  

— That he knows Ballard has made his final offer.

— That Ballard is doubtful of trading for Wentz due to his poor attitude. 

— That Ballard doesn’t like Darnold at all, but might change his mind in the future. 

— That Ballard lives three QB prospects and names them.  Wilson, Fields and Mond. 

— That Ballard will try to actively improve the pass rush this off-season. 

Don’t ALL OF THESE VIEWS strike you as information that this guy shouldn’t have?   That no one should have?   Why do we believe him?    Inquiring minds....

Agree in general, but if there was a year for leaks from the Colts, this would be it. We lost several assistant coaches to other teams, including the Eagles, and those assistants might have been privy to the thinking of the Colts front office.

So, for example, 'Ballard doesn't like Darnold' could be obvious to an assistant who knows that the Colts didn't grade Darnold highly in 2018 or at any point after he was drafted. 'Ballard wants to improve the pass rush' is kind of obvious, but it's something that could have actively been discussed throughout the season.

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This year there are many QB's that are available.  Wentz is the least desirable according to the majority here.  But that doesn't matter.  Ballard outsmarts us all.  And he wants him.  To me it's obvious the Eagles are just trying to squeeze Ballard.  I'm sure Ballard is already checking out the other options and has a plan in place if the Eagles trade Wentz to some other team.  So there is a plan C.  If Ballard has drawn his line in the sand, and I think he has, then it's time for the Eagles to say yes or no or we move on.  That's my stance.  Ballard has other options.  The quicker he goes after plan C the better.  Or someone will come in and close that door.  

Ballard isn't impulsive.

Giants Hall of Fame general manager from 1979-97 and five-time NFL Executive of the Year, George Young, once said:

"The NFL's such an impulsive business."

"The coaches are impulsive. The owners are impulsive. The players are impulsive. The fans are impulsive. The agents are impulsive." 

After a long pause, he added...

"I'm not impulsive." 

That's what I see in Ballard and that's why I trust him to get this right.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

:thanks:

I will add though that Dillard struggled in 2019. 

True, but I felt it was necessary to share the information, people are assuming players are bad and not looking into it. For Example the Dillard situation saying Dillard is bad because of the play in 2020 doesn't make sense and inaccurate, honestly I wouldn't want Dillard some eagles reporters are saying Mailata should start next year anyways.

Edit: Another would be their DL which is deep but because the Secondary was horrendous it didn't look as good.

3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

True, but I felt it was necessary to share the information, people are assuming players are bad and not looking into it. For Example the Dillard situation saying Dillard is bad because of the play in 2020 doesn't make sense and inaccurate, honestly I wouldn't want Dillard some eagles reporters are saying Mailata should start next year anyways.

Agreed. I haven't looked at Dillard closely so I don't have a strong opinion on him, but your point is absolutely correct.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

This is what kills me. The Eagles want similar compensation (2 1sts) as we saw in the Stafford Trade, but there's a huge difference between those 2 players. With Stafford, you know you're getting a QB that has been playing at a high level for a long time now. With Wentz, he had early success, got injured, and hasn't looked great since he came back. I thought LA gave up way too much for Stafford and the Eagles are insane to think they'd be getting the same draft capital for a player that has shown nowhere near the consistent success, and has looked especially bad most recently.

I'd be wary trading for Wentz at all, but if we did, anything over one 1st, plus some sort of compensation (draft pick/player) for Wentz would be a non-starter.

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

This is what kills me. The Eagles want similar compensation (2 1sts) as we saw in the Stafford Trade, but there's a huge difference between those 2 players. With Stafford, you know you're getting a QB that has been playing at a high level for a long time now. With Wentz, he had early success, got injured, and hasn't looked great since he came back. I thought LA gave up way too much for Stafford and the Eagles are insane to think they'd be getting the same draft capital for a player that has shown nowhere near the consistent success, and has looked especially bad most recently.

I'd be wary trading for Wentz at all, but if we did, anything over one 1st, plus some sort of compensation (draft pick/player) for Wentz would be a non-starter.

In making comparisons to the Rams/Lions trade, I said a couple days ago (and Florio said yesterday...so he obviously stole it from me!) that Wentz shouldn't be compared with Stafford in that trade as much as Goff.

Stafford is the guy that one team had (but was willing to part with) and another team wanted.  The Lions didn't go into that wanting Goff, necessarily.  They needed a QB after losing Stafford.  But they got compensated for taking Goff and his two big pieces of baggage -- first that he'd been benched, second that he had a big contract -- with an additional draft pick.

Well, in this case, the Eagles are the ones shopping Wentz out.  And, just like Goff, he got benched.  Also just like Goff, he has a big contract that a new team will have to partially take on.

7 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Ballard isn't impulsive.

Giants Hall of Fame general manager from 1979-97 and five-time NFL Executive of the Year, George Young, once said:

"The NFL's such an impulsive business."

"The coaches are impulsive. The owners are impulsive. The players are impulsive. The fans are impulsive. The agents are impulsive." 

After a long pause, he added...

"I'm not impulsive." 

That's what I see in Ballard and that's why I trust him to get this right.

Oh he will get it right no doubt.  If he was impulsive this trade for Wentz might have gone down awhile ago.  It hasn't so that tells me he has worked it and has his offer on the table.  He's not the only team looking for a QB and he knows it.  The longer this goes on the higher chance the prices go up for these QB's.  Getting your guy asap isn't impulsive it's smart.  I want him to get it right and get his guy.  Whoever and whenever we get a QB will trigger his other moves.  Pretty much a successful off season hinges on who our QB is.  He's the number one Domino.

12 minutes ago, Shive said:

Like I said in a different post, Colts fans have to reconcile to getting a drafted QB, Darnold or Trubisky when the dust settles.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Oh he will get it right no doubt.  If he was impulsive this trade for Wentz might have gone down awhile ago.  It hasn't so that tells me he has worked it and has his offer on the table.  He's not the only team looking for a QB and he knows it.  The longer this goes on the higher chance the prices go up for these QB's.  Getting your guy asap isn't impulsive it's smart.  I want him to get it right and get his guy.  Whoever and whenever we get a QB will trigger his other moves.  Pretty much a successful off season hinges on who our QB is.  He's the number one Domino.

He doesn't need to do it now, before free agency starts. Once free agency starts, he can see what Trubisky's market value is without ponying up draft picks, which is IF both of them believe he can give them some quality QB play. Whatever they paid Brissett ($15 mil.), they can afford to pay Trubisky, IMO.

Yes, QB is the first domino to fall but as long as there is a plan in place by the end of free agency for QB and OT, I think we will be good.

15 minutes ago, Shive said:

Do you think that the Eagles honestly believe they will get 2 first round picks for Wentz?  It is just a negotiating tactic.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

He doesn't need to do it now, before free agency starts. Once free agency starts, he can see what Trubisky's market value is without ponying up draft picks, which is IF both of them believe he can give them some quality QB play.

Yes, QB is the first domino to fall but as long as there is a plan in place by the end of free agency for QB and OT, I think we will be good.

My take, I think he needs to get it done before FA starts.   If I was a FA and I'm looking at teams and most likely looking to join a contender there is no way I'm taking a serious look at the Colts with out knowing who our QB is.  Eason or a rookie would not move the needle for me or my agent.  The Colts would not be among my top desired destination's.  Of course they could make me an offer I couldn't refuse but Ballard doesn't make those kind of offers and we all know that.  

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

My take, I think he needs to get it done before FA starts.   If I was a FA and I'm looking at teams and most likely looking to join a contender there is no way I'm taking a serious look at the Colts with out knowing who our QB is.  Eason or a rookie would not move the needle for me or my agent.  The Colts would not be among my top desired destination's.  Of course they could make me an offer I couldn't refuse but Ballard doesn't make those kind of offers and we all know that.  

If it is Darnold, they should get it done before FA, I agree.

If it is Trubisky, he should be the first one targeted in FA. Then, go from there.

38 minutes ago, Shive said:

And LAR overpaid because they want to fund an immediate SB window.  There is a price to be paid for a win now attitude.  Usually we see it involving overpaying FAs.

Ballard said correctly, our window is not open, only cracked.  More normal compensation should be expected.

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Does Derek Barnett have any trade value on his own? I liked him coming out, but he got hurt and hasn't been anything special. 

I honestly don't think he does. He's missed 16 games since he came into the league and is on the option year of his rookie deal costing $10M. I could see a team giving up like a 6th round pick to get him and sign him to a much more team friendly extension in hopes he can stay healthy.

25 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Hey wow.....just noticed this thread. 

welcome captain GIF

18 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Do you think that the Eagles honestly believe they will get 2 first round picks for Wentz?  It is just a negotiating tactic.

I don't think they truly believed they would, but apparently even with a lack of interest at that price point, they're not wavering, which tells me it's less of a negotiating tactic and more of a delusion.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

I honestly don't think he does. He's missed 16 games since he came into the league and is on the option year of his rookie deal costing $10M. I could see a team giving up like a 6th round pick to get him and sign him to a much more team friendly extension in hopes he can stay healthy.

So the Eagles could cut him for the cap space, or shop him for a pick. I don't like him as a throw in because of the $10m.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

welcome captain GIF

I don't think they truly believed they would, but apparently even with a lack of interest at that price point, they're not wavering, which tells me it's less of a negotiating tactic and more of a delusion.

Its also a tactic for telling a moody QB that they intend to keep, that they tried to trade him, and that they think highly of him so they put a high price on him.

Archived