Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Because it’s entertaining and funny. Sports is supposed to be fun. And we know is on the trade block.  Why does everything have to be so serious.

To be clear, I'm not saying don't post his rumor tweets. I only responded to that last one because I think it's important for everyone know that he's not reliable. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

This entire Wentz thread is all rumor.    No one can back up any of it, and you're worried about a nothing tweet from Josina Anderson 

Most of the tweets are about what they think is happening with a trade, except hers.  She's repeating a tweet about what a player wants or feels about it.  I've said several times its not a big deal.  But there is a difference.

Just now, DougDew said:

Most of the tweets are about what they think is happening with a trade, except hers.  She's repeating a tweet about what a player wants or feels about it.  I've said several times its not a big deal.  But there is a difference.

Yeah,   both are meaningless 

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

And yeah, Roseman is the root of the vast majority of the problems out there. 

I’d even bet that if he’d been fired instead of Pederson Wentz wouldn’t still be trying to get out. 

I don’t know about that.  Lots of reports after the benching that Wentz and Pederson had fallen out.

But that’s one reason I think that Wentz might want to publicly acknowledge his poor play and commitment to getting back to form.  From what I could tell, Pederson was right to bench him.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The sad thing about this is they can’t bring Wentz back now. So he is in a really bad spot and will have to take what he can get.  This will probably go on for awhile longer. He will get it eventually. If not he will end up getting a lot less than what the colts are offering. 

There is no rush to do this.  

We can take no action on a QB until FA begins.  If we are the only suitor, Philly has a natural incentive to do a deal before we start to pursue Trubisky.

Darnold won't be traded until after combine interviews with Fields or Wilson, if even that soon.

There is plenty of time.  

Just don't give up that first rounder.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The sad thing about this is they can’t bring Wentz back now. So he is in a really bad spot and will have to take what he can get.  This will probably go on for awhile longer. He will get it eventually. If not he will end up getting a lot less than what the colts are offering. 

Ballard about to pull off a Bill OBrien type trade and get Wentz for like a 5th 

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

That all tells me Ballard specifically loves someone in draft at 21

Might be QB or someone else 

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. To me , if this is true... the possibilities are few. 

1. he didn't really like Stafford all that much. Maybe didn't like the player, maybe didn't think the window is right for signing 33 year old QB... 

2. he has another QB he likes better that could be had for less or same(could this be Wentz?)

3. he loves a QB in the draft and we are going for him... and all the noise now is just... smoke screen after smoke screen to draw the attention away from his true intention. The problem is - he must have a credible starter or project on the team by draft time, otherwise this won't work(i.e. everybody will know we need a QB in the draft)

4. he wants to rebuild the important positions on the team(LT, DE, CB, WR) before he puts a young QB in place. So he must like either an OT or a DE in that range around 21. 

I don't know. I feel like 3 is the one that makes most sense. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

There is no rush to do this.  

No action can be taken until FA begins.  If we are the only suitor, Philly has a natural incentive to do a deal before we start to pursue Trubisky.

Darnold won't be traded until after combine interviews with Fields or Wilson, if even that soon.

There is plenty of time.  

Just don't give up that first rounder.

They won’t get half of what they would get now if they wait. Teams will get other options devaluing what they can get.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

You're not following.  Its not what NH said.  Somebody else used it to imply NH's opinion supported Fields.  Somehow, not Jones. 

Counseling is not telling.

Now NH may be feeling that he needs to clarify what he said, simply because someone else lifted it up for their cause.

If you go to her tweet they show people tweeting he’s referring to Wentz & Darnold & probably many others.  That was just one person that suggested Fields.  No different than us on here making guesses and suggestions.  I had no issue with his tweet.  Nor with whomever that was who suggested he was talking about Fields.  :rock:

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. To me , if this is true... the possibilities are few. 

1. he didn't really like Stafford all that much. Maybe didn't like the player, maybe didn't think the window is right for signing 33 year old QB... 

2. he has another QB he likes better that could be had for less or same(could this be Wentz?)

3. he loves a QB in the draft and we are going for him... and all the noise now is just... smoke screen after smoke screen to draw the attention away from his true intention. The problem is - he must have a credible starter or project on the team by draft time, otherwise this won't work(i.e. everybody will know we need a QB in the draft)

4. he wants to rebuild the important positions on the team(LT, DE, CB, WR) before he puts a young QB in place. So he must like either an OT or a DE in that range around 21. 

I don't know. I feel like 3 is the one that makes most sense. 

Supposedly he likes Wilson and Fields 

Jones he hasn't said anything on at all yet 

BUT  Jones should be drafted right around 21

10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

What would it cost?

I'm fine trading a 2 for him

He will cost a 1 at least IMO. Maybe more. I wouldn't do that. We have way too many positions to address and very few resources to do it. Giving up both premier draft assets AND huge contract to Brown is less than ideal. This OL will be paid more than 2/3s of the cap allocated to the offensive side of the ball in a few years if you sign Brown to what he wants(probably 18-20M+) then have to sign Q(18M+) then sign Braden(15M+)... Unfortunately IMO we will need to go cheap on OT - either bargain type of deal in FA or draft one that will be cheap for the next 4-5 years. 

Been saying it over and over 

The least expensive QB would be Jones

We won't lose draft capital cause chances are he could fall to 21

Most they would give up in trade is maybe a 4th which I'm fine with 

Going with a rookie over a veteran saves money so we can get a premiere edge rusher in FA or someone else to help the team.

We won't be wasting money on Wentz or any high dollar QB that probably isn't worth it. 

15 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

What would it cost?

I'm fine trading a 2 for him

Article on Nfl says the Ravens want to hold on to him and want major compensation for him, they “view his compensation similar to what Miami got for Tunsil”

23 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Like who?

Wentz is not the only QB option available though.

The past two offseasons seem to have been focused on getting a vet QB. I agreed with that direction last year...because it a unique situation and it was a good way for this team to take the next step. But I still wanted a QB in the draft to groom. Eason could be that guy...but it doesn't seem like that is the case.

So two years removed...if Eason isn't the plan...then the draft should the play here. Everybody talks about this team's prowess for drafting...so why should QB be any different. They have to roll the dice on the upside of a young QB.

A post-hype vet like Wentz is just not the move that I think gives the Colts a legit shot at beating those other AFC teams (that have gotten very strong because of QB play). And that's compounded by the acquisition cost. Because while Wentz's upside is debatable...but he's also missing the other key part...he's expensive.

The fact that CHI is also in on Wentz should be a clue here. They are the king of poor QB evaluations and picking up retreads. They literally haven't made a good move at QB...well since Ballard began his career there.

I am sounding like a broken record on this though...I just think Wentz seems like a comfortable move disguised as an upside play.

@w87r @Supermanquick side bar question but related, do you know if the figures on the Eagles (or any team’s) caps are including a rookie reserve based on their current draft picks? 

the reason I ask is because if so, and since trading Wentz really has minimal effect on that, but ADDING a 1st and/or multiple picks this year would only add to that negative mark meaning they’re worse off on the cap after any potential trade right?

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Wentz is not the only QB option available though.

The past two offseasons seem to have been focused on getting a vet QB. I agreed with that direction last year...because it a unique situation and it was a good way for this team to take the next step. But I still wanted a QB in the draft to groom. Eason could be that guy...but it doesn't seem like that is the case.

So two years removed...if Eason isn't the plan...then the draft should the play here. Everybody talks about this team's prowess for drafting...so why should QB be any different. They have to roll the dice on the upside of a young QB.

A post-hype vet like Wentz is just not the move that I think gives the Colts a legit shot at beating those other AFC teams (that have gotten very strong because of QB play). And that's compounded by the acquisition cost. Because while Wentz's upside is debatable...but he's also missing the other key part...he's expensive.

The fact that CHI is also in on Wentz should be a clue here. They are the king of poor QB evaluations and picking up retreads. They literally haven't made a good move at QB...well since Ballard began his career there.

I am sounding like a broken record on this though...I just think Wentz seems like a comfortable move disguised as an upside play.

We don't have a top 5 pick.   Drafting a guy late in the first is a coin flip at best for the best gms

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Supposedly he likes Wilson and Fields 

Jones he hasn't said anything on at all yet 

BUT  Jones should be drafted right around 21

I take those reports with a grain of salt. There were so many reports last year on him liking Love, but he traded away from the spot that could have gotten him and then he fell... and we still didn't trade up to get him . Maybe he loves them... or maybe he doesn't... who knows... and even if he loves them, there is no guarantee he will have the chance to go get them. One thing to remember - all tthe biggest trades he's done - none of them were even sniffed by the media before they happened(the Jets trade in the draft, the Buckner trade)... they all came out of nowhere and before the draft/FA period. For all we know they will announce tomorrow that we were indeed talking to the Eagles but it was for their no. 6 pick, rather than Wentz. 

Jones indeed might fall in that range, but I find it hard to believe he's the type of QB Ballard would want to hitch his waggon to. :dunno: But that's just like... my personal conjectures and guesses. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wentz agent is going to have to really pressure the eagles to get a deal done. If the eagles wait teams will find QB elsewhere then they won’t get anything for him.

Wentz agent doesn't care where he is traded or what the Eagles get in return 

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They won’t get half of what they would get now if they wait. Teams will get other options devaluing what they can get.

Yes I know, but that timeline won't start until at least combine performances (whatever that looks like) or when FA negotiation chatter begins.  Everybody can sit where they are at for a couple of weeks and nobody will get weaker, IMO.

Yes, if there are multiple suitors, then any potential bidding frenzy dissipates as time moves on,  But this isn't ebay, and its apparently only us.

26 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I doubt we are giving up Okereke. He is a stud. I would give up Rock & Doyle. 

I think all of these reports are bogus. 

The Eagles compensation will end up looking more like: 1st round pick & average starter while giving up one their own 3rd or 4th round pick. 

I wouldn’t give up a 1st for Wentz.  I’m not going higher than a 3rd.  Stall them out.  We’ve got plenty of time.  I honestly think Frank can do with Trubisky what he did with Wentz.  Both were top 5 picks.  So why rush in and give draft capital for an obviously broken QB.  Trubisky just lit up Watson last year.  His confidence could be ascending.  Ryan could come available. Fitzpatrick.  

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I take those reports with a grain of salt. There were so many reports last year on him liking Love, but he traded away from the spot that could have gotten him and then he fell... and we still didn't trade up to get him . Maybe he loves them... or maybe he doesn't... who knows... and even if he loves them, there is no guarantee he will have the chance to go get them. One thing to remember - all tthe biggest trades he's done - none of them were even sniffed by the media before they happened(the Jets trade in the draft, the Buckner trade)... they all came out of nowhere and before the draft/FA period. For all we know they will announce tomorrow that we were indeed talking to the Eagles but it was for their no. 6 pick, rather than Wentz. 

Jones indeed might fall in that range, but I find it hard to believe he's the type of QB Ballard would want to hitch his waggon to. :dunno: But that's just like... my personal conjectures and guesses. 

All I'm saying is Jones would be in range where if Ballard had to trade up he wouldn't have to trade up far. 

Wilson and Fields cost future 1s

1 minute ago, TheNextGM said:

Please no Mac Jones.

How many games is a rookie QB winning next year? Jones comes in so we can go 7-9?

I’d rather have a first round Edge rusher and a veteran QB instead of a veteran Edge and a rookie QB.

Enough of the Jones/Eason talk. IT IS NOT HAPPENING.

I might prefer a young OT instead of DE with the one but I agree

Archived