Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

2 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

Please no Mac Jones.

How many games is a rookie QB winning next year? Jones comes in so we can go 7-9?

I’d rather have a first round Edge rusher and a veteran QB instead of a veteran Edge and a rookie QB.

Enough of the Jones/Eason talk. IT IS NOT HAPPENING.

Yes cause the idea of rookie QB coming in and having immediate success is so outlandish 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Been saying it over and over 

The least expensive QB would be Jones

We won't lose draft capital cause chances are he could fall to 21

Most they would give up in trade is maybe a 4th which I'm fine with 

Going with a rookie over a veteran saves money so we can get a premiere edge rusher in FA or someone else to help the team.

We won't be wasting money on Wentz or any high dollar QB that probably isn't worth it. 

That's the thing... QB is the last position we should be being cheap with. I don't care if he will be the least expensive to get. Get the best QB we can get, don't get the cheapest. Hell, Jacoby will be even cheaper(won't cost any picks)... doesn't mean we should make him our QB of the future

Agree on rookie QB in general being financially cheap though...  this IMO is the general direction we should be going. Who that rookie QB should be is another question. I'm giving creative freedom to Ballard here. Pretty much whoever he picks, I think I would be alright with it and give the guy a chance to prove himself and prove Ballard right. 

Just now, stitches said:

That's the thing... QB is the last position we should be being cheap with. I don't care if he will be the least expensive to get. Get the best QB we can get, don't get the cheapest. Hell, Jacoby will be even cheaper(won't cost any picks)... doesn't mean we should make him our QB of the future

Agree on rookie QB in general being financially cheap though...  this IMO is the general direction we should be going. Who that rookie QB should be is another question. I'm giving creative freedom to Ballard here. Pretty much whoever he picks, I think I would be alright with it and give the guy a chance to prove himself and prove Ballard right. 

I'm so tired of veteran after veteran 

Get a rookie 

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Yes cause the idea of rookie QB coming in and having immediate success is so outlandish 

Yes Jones coming in and winning a Super Bowl is outlandish.

He might impress and win 10 games and get bounced round 1, but he’s not winning the whole thing.

14 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I don’t know about that.  Lots of reports after the benching that Wentz and Pederson had fallen out.

But that’s one reason I think that Wentz might want to publicly acknowledge his poor play and commitment to getting back to form.  From what I could tell, Pederson was right to bench him.

I can buy it, but I definitely believe at this point he would have been more receptive to staying with Pederson and without Roseman. 

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

@w87r @Supermanquick side bar question but related, do you know if the figures on the Eagles (or any team’s) caps are including a rookie reserve based on their current draft picks? 

the reason I ask is because if so, and since trading Wentz really has minimal effect on that, but ADDING a 1st and/or multiple picks this year would only add to that negative mark meaning they’re worse off on the cap after any potential trade right?

The cap figures we've been talking about do NOT include the draft pick salaries. And since the league year is before the draft and before any picks are signed, they just have to get their top 51 under the cap by the beginning of the league year, with no concern for the contracts to draft picks.

Also, taking back firsts doesn't mean they have to draft at those spots. They can trade back and get more players for less money if they have to.

And they don't have to sign their draft picks until the start of the season, so any post June 1 cap relief would help them as well. Long way to go before they have to worry about those contracts.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I think it has to be the direction. Very good QBs have been getting drafted the past few years. I understand not wanting to force it...but you have to work with what you have. 

The Mahomes story is a nice anecdote about stars aligning...but the perfect prospect doesn't come around very often. Either you out-scout the rest of the NFL on a QB picked later (which hardly ever happens) OR you do what is necessary to get in position to draft a QB prospect that you can win with. 

12 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I wouldn’t give up a 1st for Wentz.  I’m not going higher than a 3rd.  Stall them out.  We’ve got plenty of time.  I honestly think Frank can do with Trubisky what he did with Wentz.  Both were top 5 picks.  So why rush in and give draft capital for an obviously broken QB.  Trubisky just lit up Watson last year.  His confidence could be ascending.  Ryan could come available. Fitzpatrick.  

I think Tru is better than what is reported.  Looks like he was being used as a bit of a scapegoat in CHI.  When he didn't live up to being the second pick in the draft ahead of Mahomes and Watson, its sort of natural to have all of the offensive problems blamed on his nonelitism.

@chad72 posted some stats that showed Tru to be a pretty competitive option.

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Get a rookie 

I'm not even tired of vets. I'm tired of the uncertainty and instability after every year. We haven't had the same starting QB in 2 consecutive years since 2015-2016 seasons !!!  This is 5 years ago. We need to pick a direction and develop a plan around it, this jumping around from one QB to the next to the 3d is no way to have long-term success in the league. The biggest predictor of sustained success in the NFL is whether you have a franchise QB or not. First you have the quality of that franchise QB which gives you the biggest value, and then you have auxilary value from having stability at the position and having the freedom to go out there and not worry about the most important part of your team and have a plan to build around that guy, rather than having to worry every year whether you will be paying 25M or 18M or 35M or maybe you will be drafting one... and all that goes with that uncertainty. For example... FA starts in a month time. Our only QB under contract is Jacob Eason who's taken a grand total of zero snaps in the NFL, NFL pre-seasons, NFL post-season. This is a very good WR class in FA. How would you convince the premier talent to come play for you when they don't even know who's going to be throwing them the ball? 

Just take a step back this year... go get your QB in the draft... whoever it is and whatever it costs... and lets build around that QB, the OL and Taylor... the young WRs on offense and around Buckner and Leonard on defense. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Tru is better than what is reported.  Looks like he was being used as a bit of a scapegoat in CHI.  When he didn't live up to being the second pick in the draft ahead of Mahomes and Watson, its sort of natural to have all of the offensive problems blamed on his nonelitism.

@chad72 posted some stats that showed Tru to be a pretty competitive option.

Its so sad how little faith the Bears have in him 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Current LT retired, rookie QB....what could go wrong?

I'm sure Ballard will find someone no worries 

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

I take those reports with a grain of salt. There were so many reports last year on him liking Love, but he traded away from the spot that could have gotten him and then he fell... and we still didn't trade up to get him . Maybe he loves them... or maybe he doesn't... who knows... and even if he loves them, there is no guarantee he will have the chance to go get them. One thing to remember - all tthe biggest trades he's done - none of them were even sniffed by the media before they happened(the Jets trade in the draft, the Buckner trade)... they all came out of nowhere and before the draft/FA period. For all we know they will announce tomorrow that we were indeed talking to the Eagles but it was for their no. 6 pick, rather than Wentz. 

Jones indeed might fall in that range, but I find it hard to believe he's the type of QB Ballard would want to hitch his waggon to. :dunno: But that's just like... my personal conjectures and guesses. 

The bolded is exactly what I hope is happening.  The bears give Philly what they want for Wentz.  We give Philly what they want for the 6th pick & the Eagles come out of it with loads of draft capital to acquire young cheap talent to build their team plus & a couple young players from us for the 6th pick.  Everybody wins.  Somewhere in there Foles goes to Philly & from Philly to Indy for Eason.  Sirianni & the Eagles gets to start fresh with Hurts & Eason.  Bears, Pace, Nagy & Flip get to rebuild Wentz and try to save their jobs.  We get close enough to make a move up in the draft for a QB.  Everybody wins. 

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

The bolded is exactly what I hope is happening.  The bears give Philly what they want for Wentz.  We give Philly what they want for the 6th pick & the Eagles come out of it with loads of draft capital to acquire young cheap talent to build their team plus & a couple young players from us for the 6th pick.  Everybody wins.  Somewhere in there Foles goes to Philly & from Philly to Indy for Eason.  Sirianni & the Eagles gets to start fresh with Hurts & Eason.  Bears, Pace, Nagy & Flip get to rebuild Wentz and try to save their jobs.  We get close enough to make a move up in the draft for a QB.  Everybody wins. 

Would cost entirely too much 

17 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Get a rookie 

I think most of us agree with that statement now that Stafford is gone. However, I'm not sure that the Colts are going to have the ability to do so. I think the top 4 QB's all go within the top 10. This is a BAD year to need a QB. 

I would trade 2 1's and a second + player to move up to grab one of the top 4. I doubt Ballard will. 

Just now, Colts1324 said:

I think most of us agree with that statement now that Stafford is gone. However, I'm not sure that the Colts are going to have the ability to do so. I think the top 4 QB's all go within the top 10. This is a BAD year to need a QB. 

I would trade 2 1's and a second + player to move up to grab one of the top 4. I doubt Ballard will. 

Jones should be in range and wouldn't cost much to get

The system and line we have is perfect for Mac 

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Its so sad how little faith the Bears have in him 

I'm sure Ballard will find someone no worries 

I think Tru's stats show that he is a pretty accurate passer.  On-target percentage.  That's a big part of being a good QB.  And if IIRC, his oline was not stellar so some of those good stats may have come under some pressure.

He can use his legs too.

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

he won't trade up that far

he would if Fields falls past 12

Just now, DougDew said:

I think Tru's stats show that he is a pretty accurate passer.  On-target percentage.  That's a big part of being a good QB.  And if IIRC, his oline was not stellar so some of those good stats may have come under some pressure.

He can use his legs too.

in the playoffs last 2m before half bears called 3 straight runs 

that's all I needed to see

bears are an absolute joke 

Starting to hope we dont roll the dice on Wentz now.  He was so bad last year, and they want a big trade.

I would have been more patient negotiating for Matt Stafford.  Carson should be a take it or leave it offer, i doubt they have many suitors anyway.

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Would cost entirely too much 

What’s too much?  2 firsts?  & 2 seconds?  Go sign Trent Williams in free agency and we’d have the most dominant run game in the league.  Go get an edge rusher in free agency.  Draft Fields or Wilson and I like our chances of winning the AFC South next year and for most of the next decade.  

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

What’s too much?  2 firsts?  & 2 seconds?  Go sign Trent Williams in free agency and we’d have the most dominant run game in the league.  Go get an edge rusher in free agency.  Draft Fields or Wilson and I like our chances of winning the AFC South next year and for most of the next decade.  

Ballard might trade up a bit but not that high. Chances are we will get one solid FA but don't expect Trent and another big Edge. 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

Starting to hope we dont roll the dice on Wentz now.  He was so bad last year, and they want a big trade.

I would have been more patient negotiating for Matt Stafford.  Carson should be a take it or leave it offer, i doubt they have many suitors anyway.

Have you ever walked out of a car dealership in the middle of negotiating?  I mean, not angry, just walk away because its not your price.

The price is the price.  It doesn't really change tomorrow, despite what they say.  Just call them back in two days and pick up where you left off.

As long as you are not in love with what you're buying, who cares if its not there anymore.  Other ones appear on the market.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Wentz came out of college with inconsistent mechanics and footwork. The Eagles staff, including Reich, coached him up and helped correct some of his issues, to the point that he was on fire a year later. In 2019 and especially 2020 (a year removed from his injury), Wentz had inconsistence mechanics and footwork. I get the feeling Reich would be all over it.

Also, Marcus Brady is credited with helping JB with his fundamental issues. Look at the difference in JB's footwork from 2017 to early 2019, before his knee injury. 

There are reasons to believe the Colts present staff can help a QB re-established his fundamentals and regain a previously high level of play.

I agree with this for the most part the only detractor being Taylor was his qb coach during his downward spiral and now is the qb coach in indy.  

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Have you ever walked out of a car dealership in the middle of negotiating?  I mean, not angry, just walk away because its not your price.

The price is the price.  It doesn't really change tomorrow, despite what they say.  Just call them back in two days and pick up where you left off.

As long as you are not in love with what you're buying, who cares if its not there anymore.  Other ones appear on the market.

I would move on to free agents and the draft if they wont take a couple of seconds.  They could always call back but I would not call them again.

I'd be looking at Ryan Fitzpatrick, he was better than Wentz last year and he said he wants to keep going.  I dont see Carson as a big priority, just someone to inquire about and move on if we dont get him.

22 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Imagine if it's actually Ballard and Reich from the Colts side and Roseman and Sirianni from Philly side on a zoom call thinking about what to do with Wentz...

Roseman: So... now that we have the deal for no. 6 ready... wanna help us with that Wentz thing?

Reich: No, no... I thought I was clear - I don't want anything to do with Wentz. 

Roseman: Nah, I don't mean for the Colts... lets make the Bears "outbid" you. 

Ballard: OK... what do we do? Should I let Schefter know we are pushing for Wentz?

Sirianni: You sure you want to burn that bridge? We can always use Dan Sileo or Fosh... they eat that ship up. I already told Fosh we are having a call at 9am today. 

Reich: Alright, Tell them "the Colts believe they can fix Wentz and are pushing hard for him..."... throw out some nonesense about 2 firsts or first and ... Darius Leonard. 

Roseman: They can't be this stupid to buy this stuff, can they? 

Ballard: You never know until you try... 

Archived