Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus turns down Texans head coach interview

lollygagger8

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/08/matt-eberflus-turns-down-offer-to-interview-for-texans-head-coach/

Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus has turned down the Texans’ request to come in for an interview for their head coaching vacancy.

The Texans initially sought permission to interview Eberflus before hiring General Manager Nick Caserio, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.

Although no reason has been given for why Eberflus turned the Texans down, it raises the question of whether he’s leery of the issues going on in Houston, where many people around the league have concerns about the direction the franchise has gone in since Jack Easterby, the team’s executive vice president of football operations, got owner Cal McNair’s ear. The hiring of Caserio, who has long been close to Easterby, strongly suggests that Easterby is calling the shots. And Eberflus may not be interested in coaching for a team run by Easterby.

Also concerning about the Texans is the possibility that Deshaun Watson, the franchise quarterback who is by far the team’s most valuable asset, is unhappy in Houston.

Eberflus is still scheduled to interview with the Jets and Chargers, so he wants a head-coaching job. Just not the Texans job.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Nadine changed the title to Eberflus turns down Texans head coach interview

Or maybe he knows he doesn’t have a chance to get the job bc Caserio has othe people in mind. The Colts are in the playoffs and his focus is on that and unless it’s a legitimate opportunity he probably doesn’t want to waste his time.    I highly doubt it’s that much drama but guess it could be.  

Eberflus has said in previous years that he is interested in becoming a head coach but know there usually is only one opportunity at it so he doesn’t want to take just any job.

He is being picky about it, and that is smart on his part. Texans don’t seem to be on the rise right now. They don’t even have their first round pick.

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Just because he asked doesn't mean he will for sure

Watson has a ton of leverage right now. A TON. The prior management left Caserio very little draft resources. He can effectively trade an uphappy Watson, load up on picks that aren’t there and move forward. Or he can let an unhappy Watson win enough games every year to keep them from acquiring top talent in the draft and never have the resources to put a team around him to win anything. He’s going to clean house, I wouldn’t bet against it... 

9 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Watson requested a trade after they hired him .  Watson is not happy about it .

From what I've read, Watson's upset with the Texans, not at Caserio being the new GM.. Watson is ticked off at the process the Texans used to hire a new GM because they didn't involve/consult Watson during the hiring process even though back in October he had specifically chatted with McNair about getting him involved (or at least kept in the loop) in important decisions.

4 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

From what I've read, Watson's upset with the Texans, not at Caserio being the new GM.. Watson is ticked off at the process the Texans used to hire a new GM because they didn't involve/consult Watson during the hiring process even though back in October he had specifically chatted with McNair about getting him involved (or at least kept in the loop) in important decisions.

He might pull an andrew luck

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just my opinion, but Watson seems to be acting like a diva. Not saying Houston admin isn't laying eggs, but QBs trying to impact coaching and GM hires is almost never a good thing. Wouldn't be shocked to see Houston trade him, and do a total rebuild. 

That team is a trainwreck and everybody is gonna be jumping ship soon.

Watson has every right to be upset. That team is on a big downward spiral. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just my opinion, but Watson seems to be acting like a diva. Not saying Houston admin isn't laying eggs, but QBs trying to impact coaching and GM hires is almost never a good thing. Wouldn't be shocked to see Houston trade him, and do a total rebuild. 

I almost always tend to agree, but that organization hasn't do e anything but punch themselves in the junk for about 2/3 of watsons career.....and they went to him and specifically told Watson they'd keep him abreast of developments and involved in the process of getting new coaches and a GM.... So I see where he's coming from as far as being very leery....

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

While I can understand your opinion, if the reports are true that there was an agreement he would have input into the hires and that was reneged on, I can understand his frustration too.

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

No, Watson is showing interest/concern in his teams direction. He wants to WIN and have a voice in teams personnel and front office moves. He's a competitor and no doubt wants Super Bowls in his future. 

He's not gonna get that in Houston 

17 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

That team is a trainwreck and everybody is gonna be jumping ship soon.

Watson has every right to be upset. That team is on a big downward spiral. 

Nah man. When employees start dictating their bosses, it never ends well. Train wreck or not, that's not how business works.

17 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I almost always tend to agree, but that organization hasn't do e anything but punch themselves in the junk for about 2/3 of watsons career.....and they went to him and specifically told Watson they'd keep him abreast of developments and involved in the process of getting new coaches and a GM.... So I see where he's coming from as far as being very leery....

16 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

While I can understand your opinion, if the reports are true that there was an agreement he would have input into the hires and that was reneged on, I can understand his frustration too.

I can understand his frustration, but IMO, there never should have been an agreement. If there was an agreement, that's bad. If there was an agreement and it wasn't held up, that's worse. Either way, bad. 

I'm also not sure I buy the reports 100%. Franchise QBs are typically in the loop, but not dictating. Sounds like he wanted his guys. He could have been in the loop, made recommendations, but simply irked that they went another way. That's not necessarily reneging as I doubt they promised he'd be the decision maker. We've likely heard only his side, which could be slanted.... 

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Nah man. When employees start dictating their bosses, it never ends well. Train wreck or not, that's not how business works.

Normally I would agree. But if your boss says to you, hey, I want your input on the next New hire. And then chooses to not even seek it, I can see how that would rub someone wrong. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I can understand his frustration, but IMO, there never should have been an agreement. If there was an agreement, that's bad. If there was an agreement and it wasn't held up, that's worse. Either way, bad. 

I'm also not sure I buy the reports 100%. Franchise QBs are typically in the loop, but not dictating. Sounds like he wanted his guys. He could have been in the loop, made recommendations, but simply irked that they went another way. That's not necessarily reneging as I doubt they promised he'd be the decision maker. We've likely heard only his side, which could be slanted.... 

I don’t disagree any of the above. Spot on

If I had to guess, I'd say Flus doesn't get the job. This is how I see it turning out.

Chargers - Eric Biemiry

Jags - Urban Meyer

Jets - Robert Salah

Falcons - Raheem Morris

Texans - Marvin Lewis

I'd say maybe the falcons job, but I don't think they sent him a request to interview

42 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Well their owner asked him for his input and promised to listen to it.  He gave it and they didn’t listen.  I’d be mad too if I was him.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well their owner asked him for his input and promised to listen to it.  He gave it and they didn’t listen.  I’d be mad too if I was him.

You can listen, and still go another way. Listening does not mean allowing him to make the decision. Pretty simple definition.

Archived